Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #121
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When we picked up the coach, we found that water had gotten into the unit and the dinette seats were wet starting from what looked like the bottom up. Several questions as to where it came from were looked at. The front door, the fridge, etc. Airstream dispatched someone (I think it was Matt) to Sherry RV and they tested the coach, no leak...then they brought it back and placed it back into the water testing machine.....no leaks. I think they adjusted the door and took out the fridge to look see if the leak was in there. No leaks. We all thought it was a fluke.

Got the trailer home, looked great! Sat in the drive with all the snow, cold and ice....no issues.....spring came, monsoon type rains.....no leaks.

Went out on the first trip. Day one, no rain, no leaks.....life is good. Second day, was towing in the rain, water on the floor!

Talked with Jim, and he suggested a light test...did it late one night, found some areas in the door area, and followed up with a water test...no leaks. So then I took a look at the curbside wheel well. No light in the light test....did the water test and sure enough....leak. So somewhere on the wheel well trim piece was where the leak was. I placed some silicone caulk around the inner wheel well as a temp fix, it worked...no more leak. When at JC a bit ago, they re-Vulkem'd the whole wheel well.....still no leaks and a continued happy camper!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #122
1 Rivet Member

I took my unit back to Jackson Center this past April. I had the same problem with my black tank sensor. Before taking it back I spoke w/ Catcom the mfg of the unit and we tried several different ways to get it to work again. The tech. at Catcom advised me that the tank sensor was not working. I advised Airstream of what I did, but they spend several hour checking the wiring, board, etc. After all of those checks were performed the sensor still did not work and they told me that they needed to replace the sensor.

The sensor is located at the bottom of the black water tank just in front of the dump valve. The only way they could get to it was by cutting a hole in the steel plate that protects the tank. (It is about a 3-4 hour job at the factory service center) They repleaced the sensor and it has been working fine since it has been replaced. If it breaks after the warranty ends next year I now have access to replace it myself.

dkekrksk
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Hello.

My wife and I are on our maiden voyage, and of course a few items on our 2005 CCD International 28' need fixin' under warranty. Here is our punchlist:

1. Front right privacy glass holding bracket has broken off as it sticks.
2. A few interior rivets have fallen out
3. When we unplug the sink drain and let water run out, the resulting grey water backs up into the shower pan. Not a big deal as it eventually drains, but the residue from washing our dishes ends up in the shower and we have to clean it. Our quick fix has been to just plug the shower, but we are concerned that there is a bigger plumbing issue.
4. The upper tail lights sometimes work and sometimes don't. Possible wiring issue.
5. The porch light doesn't work.
6. Some of the interior lights go on and off, possible wiring issue.
7. The rubber gasket holding the screens on the dining table window keeps coming out and the screen is coming loose.
8. A few interior wood trims are unfinished.
9. Front door doesn't deadbolt from the interior unless you slam it shut REALLY hard (dealer fixed this by shaving down the deadbolt a little at an angle).

- Mike and Angela and our dog Kenzie
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #124
Craftsman

Look at the photo on the back of the 2005 brochure. The two outer marker lights aren't installed correctly . One points at the two o'clock position and the one on the right is pointing at the 9 o'clock position. It should be 2 and 11 or 3 and 9. It may be a little thing to some people but I notice it every time that I look at it. If I owned it, it would drive me crazy. Especially to know that the holes have already been drilled and to move ione of them will leave a hole ...even if it is covered up.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #125
B&J
Happy Campers

2005 quality tracking

We took delivery of our 28' CCD mid March of this year and just recently had a few warranty items fixed by our dealer. #7 on your list (screen rubber gaskets) were also on our list. The rubber gasket on our large rear bedroom window had slipped out of the groove and was hanging across the window. It's hard to say when it popped out. We had the dealer check all the window screen tracks when they fixed the one in the bedroom. There was another window that looked like the gasket might pop out in the future. Our dealer said they don't see alot of this, but have occasionally repaired other trailers with this problem. Regarding #8(unfinished trim), I spoke to Jim in customer service at Airstream about the unfinished trim in the bathroom lower cabinet by the toilet. He said it comes unfinished and there is not supposed to be a trim piece on this cabinet. It looked to me like they could have easily finished it with a trim piece. Ours needs sanding and it really looks bad. I haven't noticed any other area that looks unfinished. We haven't plugged our sink in the kitchen, but have plugged the one in the bathroom several times and had no problem.

We feel that there is room for better quality control at Airstream when the trailer rolls off the finish line. However, we are very happy with our trailer and the warranty work we have had done has not been major. Hopefully you will be able to trouble shoot and get everything corrected. Good luck.
2005 CCD International 28 foot
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

Las Cruces , New Mexico
Marker Light photo on 2005 brochure

Craftsman-

This could be improper installation (aka quality problem), but more likely it's wide-angle distortion from the camera lens. The photographer has positioned the camera slightly left (roadside) to be able to photograph both the Airstream and the old barn, and is using a very wide-angle lens, resulting in the distortion. I determined this by stepping out of our 2005 and looking at the rear of the unit--upon close inspection, the upper marker lights are correctly installed, but the more I moved roadside rear, the more that marker light appeared to point to 9 o'clock. Same thing with the curbside rear marker light.

Interesting that they wouldn't correct that visible distortion before the brochure went to press. Probably nobody noticed until now.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #127
Craftsman

I politely disagree. No way..I majored in photography at the Maryland Institute of Art, and I'll bet that it no more than a 35mm lens (35mm format) 28 at the most. Very wide doesn't start until 24mm. They're installed at two different angles. Thats not lens distortation, thats poor installation.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
Hello.

My wife and I are on our maiden voyage, and of course a few items on our 2005 CCD International 28' need fixin' under warranty. Here is our punchlist:

1. Front right privacy glass holding bracket has broken off as it sticks.
2. A few interior rivets have fallen out
3. When we unplug the sink drain and let water run out, the resulting grey water backs up into the shower pan. Not a big deal as it eventually drains, but the residue from washing our dishes ends up in the shower and we have to clean it. Our quick fix has been to just plug the shower, but we are concerned that there is a bigger plumbing issue.
4. The upper tail lights sometimes work and sometimes don't. Possible wiring issue.
5. The porch light doesn't work.
6. Some of the interior lights go on and off, possible wiring issue.
7. The rubber gasket holding the screens on the dining table window keeps coming out and the screen is coming loose.
8. A few interior wood trims are unfinished.
9. Front door doesn't deadbolt from the interior unless you slam it shut REALLY hard (dealer fixed this by shaving down the deadbolt a little at an angle).

- Mike and Angela and our dog Kenzie

Hi Mike,
We picked up our 05 CCD 28' International about six weeks ago and have some of the same issues as you have described:

2. Interior rivets...a few were just plain missing.
3. Kitchen sink grey water drains into shower...didn't realize this one at first until a small amount of coffee grounds got away from me...and found them later in the shower.
5. Porch light worked at the dealer...hasn't worked for the last two trips.
8. Interior trim...yep that one near the toilet seems like it ought to be finished with the veneer tape. Very rough and obvious IMHO. We asked about this item when we were ordering, the dealer suggested we order the tape ourselves from the factory and install it. I may be a stickler, but I also think the raw edge near the bottom of the microwave cabinet should be covered. I see this raw edge every time I sit on the couch.
9. Our front door must be slammed VERY hard from the inside (and the outside).

Other issues not previously mentioned:
Our microwave can't pop popcorn worth a darn...the convection function works fine. Also, the clock on the microwave slowly loses time, about 25 minutes over an 8 to 10 hour period. The piano hinge on the front privacy screen flaps open during transit. The cover for the bathroom area skylight won't open fully...hate to try to force it and break something.

Several people mentioned the squeaky floor by the sink, hadn't noticed that issue in our unit. There is also the idiosyncrasies of the black tank indicator but that seems to be an issue for most everyone.

All in all, we have been pleased with it and the quality, none of the problems seem serious at this point. We have had a great time so far and have not regretted our choice. Last weekend, we took it on a "progressive birthday party" to celebrate our daughter's third birthday with the majority of our relatives that live two states away. They were all impressed by the "coolness factor" and thought the traveling birthday party was fun, too...so did our daughter who celebrated with 5 cakes. One at each stop on the tour. Incidentally, only one cake made it through Chicago road construction unscathed, they were stored in individual boxes under the dinette seats and padded on each side. Oh well, we tried.

We have an appointment scheduled at the factory in mid-July. And have a few outings planned between then and now.

Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #129
1 Rivet Member

2004 CCD International 28'

I had a lot of the same problems with my 2004 CCD International 28'. We went cross country last year (about 9000 miles) This gave us the ablility to find a lot of the problems. We went to the Airstream Factory Service Center this past March and they did a good job fixing most of the major problems. Some of the problems we had were:

Electric hitch sparks and shorts out. The wire was fixed once. (Since returning from the factory I had to replace the hitch)
Rust on front tongue.
Lock is broken on the water tank door.
Piece of trim above the driver’s side wheels needs to be replaced. This was bent when the axle broke.
Back bumper has scratches, skid plates are bent and there is rust. This happened during the towing when the axle broke.
Chip in corner of outside window closest to the door.
Door –
Does not close properly. We spend lots of time when we arrive at camp sites trying to get the door to close properly.
Dead bolt lock has never worked. Our dealer sprays it with WD40. (the door had to be adjusted at the factory)
Main door latch jams. On several occasions it has jammed and we had to force the door open.
Black water tank sensor does not work.

Shower –
Leaks. You can see the rust on the screws when you remove the panel.
Shower head will not stay up. I tightened the screw, but it still falls down.
Toilet leaked and supply line was replaced. Please check – I am not sure there is enough PVC on the connection.
Screw pop in floor in front of refrigerator
Laminate has come detached in several spots. I have been able to reattach in some locations, but some locations have chipped off and need to be fixed.
Latch on flat screen television in kitchen area does not work.
Black screw covers are missing in several places throughout
Refrigerator / Freezer
Crack in trim on top
It looks like one of the bins on the door is missing
Electric panel is only held in by one screw.
Please check air conditioner I believe the compressor is not turning on.
Cable that connects to tow vehicle.
Brake controller connection with vehicle shorts.
Driving lights did not work on several occasions.
Rivet pops / missing inside.
Leaks
Bathroom fan leaks.
During one storm water came in by the stove exhaust fan

When we were at the factory they installed silver trim around the floor (made by 3M) it looks great and gives a finished look. I have extra and I am going to install it in the bathroom.

Thanks!
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #130
3 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
I forgot to add a few fix-it items:

10. The door cover for the privacy door between the fridge and the wardrobe closet always stays open. Apparently, the wrong size accordian style privacy door was installed (too big) which pushes the cover door out. It swings a lot when we drive. They ordered a new privacy door for us. But the best solution would be to simply put a latch with snap button on the cover door similar to the one they have for the privacy door between the bathroom/shower and the bedroom (in the 28ft Int'l Model).

11. The hand towel holder was loose and it kept coming off. The dealer simply tightened with an allen wrench ( I didn't have one) and it works fine.

12. The toilet seat screw is stripped and can't be tightened enough, so the toilet seat shifts every time you sit on it. Dealer has ordered new parts.

13. Whenever you open the close the freezer door, a high pitch sucking noise occurs and you can't open the door again unless you pull REALLY, REALLY hard. Seems some sort of a vacuum event occurs that keeps the door shut and you have to wait for it to equalize.

14. The window roll up shade above the sink doesn't roll up or down. We just unhook and roll/unroll it ourselves.

15. The stove ignitor used to work the first week, now it doesn't. We have since bought a lighter to light the stove.

16. We purchased our model with the 10-disc CD changer and subwoofer upgrade. It's a Sony Xplde CD changer system. The CD's skip while playing. We know it's not the CD since we play the same ones in our tow vechicle CD player and don't have the issue there, and that is while driving the bumpy road, as compared to the A/S just sitting still when we are camped and playing the CD changer then.

17. The smoke detector is a bit too sensitive. It goes off when we put on the central heating system (funny smell come out at first when it goes on) or when I toast bread (not burn it, just normal toasting). We just take the smoke detector down and unhook the battery whenever we are cooking or going to do anything that might set it off.

18. A number of scratches to the aluminum interior finishes.

19. The third time I dumped the black water then removed the hose, we found a 5 inch piece of cut wood in the sewer connection bay. It must have fallen into the black water tank during manufacturing. Luckily, we were able to flush it out before it had clogged up our system.

20. Shower door water catch leaked. I bought some caulking and caulked the edges. No more leaks.

21. License plate holder did not come with any hardware for me to attach my trailer license plate. Had to go out and buy bolt, screws.

22. Trailer tail and patio door lamps burned out after only three weeks. I bought an electric meter to make sure we didn't have wiring issues. Had to buy replacement lamps.

23. The white melamine finish on the storage cabinet above the L-Section sofa cracked just yesterday. Don't know what happened with that. Will probably need to have the cabinet replaced.

24. The automatic tongue raiser didn't work one time. Turns out the electrical plug gets easily disconnected. We just check the connection before we operate it each time.

That's it for now. Since we are full timing it for about 6 mos, I'm sure we'll find more things. We too did not have the squeak/soft floor issue b/t the dinnette and sink as discussed by a number of 2005 Int'l owners on this thread. Seems A/S finally fixed that issue since so many people were complaining and we lucked out. Also, been through two rain storms, and so far, no leaks (knock on wood).

That said, we still LOVE our A/S and am very happy that we bought it. All the items are things we are able to live with for now and will just have fixed under warranty. Not only did we get a great trailer, but we also joined an incredible A/S family, and SOB owner's always seem to want to come by and check out our trailer, telling us how they wish they had one, and how their next trailer will be an A/S.

- Mike & Angela & our dog/son Kenzie
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #131
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On the license plate mounts, I used the plastic ones because of all the non-similar metals being an issue. If I didn't go with the plastic, I might have gone stainless. Plate has been through many less then optimal roads and no issues.

For the scratches, if they are fairly light and haven't hit the metal, you can use the same Walbernize on the interior. I've found that for the minor scuffs and such, it actually gets rid of the them....but if it's a scratch or it's hit the metal....then other means might be needed.

A lot of the smoke detectors are that way. Not may options, though I know some have had some success putting shower caps around it when cooking.

The freezer/fridge thing is totally normal. Our unit does it too. Give it a minute of two and it goes away.

Aren't your tail lights LEDs? Or were you referring to the red marker lights?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #132
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
Update on earlier post (#84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriley
I previously posted under "2005 Classic" category, but will also respond here since this thread's purpose is to track 2005 quality and problems.
We ordered our unit in Jan 2005 and took delivery on Feb 28. We took a "checkout trip" in March, which resulted in delivery back to the dealer on March 21 for correction of problems. After a month back at the dealer's service, we got it back on April 21.

We have owned several SOB's, both trailers and motorhomes, but decided on Airstream because or its structural intregrity reputation, lower depreciation rate, and perceived high quality. Overall, we are pleased with our unit, but somewhat disappointed in Airstream's quality control and attention to detail. The things we found were as follows:
  • The exterior surfaces show fine "brush marks" when the sun is reflecting on the surfaces, as though the trailer had been washed using a stiff brush. Fix: Airstream had the dealer Walbernize the trailer, which hid the marks somewhat, but they still are very visable in the sun.
  • The backwater tank contained numerous pieces of manufacturing "trash," which obstructed the knife valve operation. Fix: I repeatedly flushed the tank for about 2 hours, washing out pieces of tank cutout, plastic plumbing parts, shavings, etc.
  • The shower leaked all over the floor when used. Fix: The dealer calked the lower corner area of the door frame assembly. This problem appears to be common, in that I saw the same lack of calking on several units in the dealer's inventory.
  • The shower door latch was broken and the door frame had "bubbles" under the plating on one section. Fix: The door was replaced.
  • The ultra-leather sofa had a small tear under the drawer latch. Fix: The dealer had a leather specialty shop repair the defect.
  • The headliner vinyl was hanging loose over about a 12" section in one area. Fix: They were able to stretch the material over enough to secure it under the molding strip.
  • There was a small leak around the air-conditioner. Fix: They corrected an incorrectly-installed seal around the A/C.
  • The base molding next to the floor was hanging loose in one area. Fix: Secured molding with cement.
  • The carpet wall covering on one slideout wall was carelessly applied, having wrinkles and a non-smooth appearance. Fix: Took wall covering loose and reinstalled correctly.
  • Both the entry door and screen door required "slamming" to latch. Fix: Adjusted latches. Result: Although they close a little better, they still are harder to latch than they should be.
  • The window opening/closing mechanisms are difficult to operate, especially on the slideout. Fix: None. The interference of curtains makes the windows difficult to open and close, which is a design problem.
  • The entry step was difficult to latch in the "travel" position. Fix: Replaced step assembly.
  • Trailer brakes pulled to one side when applied. Fix: Adjujsted brakes.
  • Trailer tires not balanced properly. Fix: None. Dealer reports that Airstream will not pay for wheel balance.
  • Toilet did not seem to be attached securely. Fix: Replaced several "stripped" mounting screws.
  • Several drawers are difficult to open, even after lifting on handle before pulling to open. Fix: None. This appears to be a design deficiency in the way Airstream attempts to secure the drawers.
  • Decorative wallpaper strip in bath had "wrinkles" in it. Fix: Replaced with new strip applied correctly.
  • Level monitor for LP Tank #2 reads intermittently. Fix: None. Dealer could not duplicate.
  • ID plate on exterior of trailer showed incorrect GVWR (10,000 lb. instead of 10,300 lb.). Fix: Airstream provided corrected plate to dealer for installation.
The only significant unresoled issue is the exterior finish problem, which I intend to further pursue with Airstream. I am irritated regarding their refusal to correctly balance the tires, which I think reflects very negatively on Airstream, but I will likely just have it done at my normal tire shop at my own expense.

Now that we have most of the problems whipped, we are looking forward to getting busy with the reason we purchased the Airstream - putting it to enjoyable use!

Tom and Sherrie Riley
20005 30'SO Classic
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel
2 - Honda 2000i generators w/parallel kit
Since my April 28 post, a number of other items have surfaced:
  • Entry door lock malfunctioned in "locked" position, requiring 2 hours of working with it to get into trailer. Airstream "overnighted" a new lock assy. to dealer for changeout.
  • Following severl days of rain, we found kitchen floor and carpet in living room completely soaked. Dealer found half of gasket around furnace missing as source of leak.
  • When slideout is retracted after raining, substantial water runs down sides onto carpet. No fix found to date.
  • Continued to have problems with black-water tank knife valve due to manufacturing "garbage" having been left in tank. Airstream finally directed dealer to completely remove the knife valve and purge tank, which appears to have corrected problem.
  • Water pump intermittently cycles on momentarily at random time intervals. No cause found to date. Have extensively checked for leaks, and am suggesting to Airstream and dealer that pump should be changed.
  • Level/Status Monitoring Unit was changed out due to earlier reported problems. Now it is completly non-operational.
  • On a recent trip to Phoenix, AZ, during which we encountered temperatures up to 113 degrees, we would hear a loud "popping noise" a few minutes after the A/C cycled on and started cooling the trailer interior. It sounded like a section of the exterior metal popping out as it cooled. So far, dealer has not been able to duplicate or find source.
  • Slideout rubber "bulb seal" peeled off around top of slide. Dealer reapplied using stronger bonding cement.
  • Electric tongue jack malfunctioned, requiring dealer to change out jack head. Now it pops the circuit breaker when fully raised. I have suggested to dealer that he needs to adjust the raise limits per the Airstream instruction book, which I think will solve problem.
  • Several of the Day/Night blinds have had to be adjusted to get them to raise and lower properly.
  • One electric stabilizer jack has a weak clutch, causing it to stick in the up position and not allow enough downward pressure when used to stabilize trailer. Not yet corrected.
  • Trim strip on entry door peeling. Not yet corrected.
  • Light above kitchen sink not working properly. Dealer order light assy.
  • L.P. Detector appears to be inoperative, with a red light emitting continuously. Not yet corrected.
  • Drawers under bed don't stay closed when traveling. Not yet corrected.
  • Water heater ignition light inop, but heater functions okay. Not yet corrected.
We have now had ownership of this unit for 3.5 months, during which time we have taken 3 trips, for a total of 2.5 weeks use. During this 3.5 months, it has been in the in the hands of the dealer for service for a total of almost 6 weeks, which is also its present status.

Needless to say, we are not "happy campers."
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #133

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Since my April 28 post, a number of other items have surfaced:
  • When slideout is retracted after raining, substantial water runs down sides onto carpet. No fix found to date.
  • Water pump intermittently cycles on momentarily at random time intervals. No cause found to date. Have extensively checked for leaks, and am suggesting to Airstream and dealer that pump should be changed.
  • Drawers under bed don't stay closed when traveling. Not yet corrected.
We have had our 2004 slideout almost a year and a half. We have only had water coming in during close up once. Normally the awning over the slide protects the top of the slide out and keeps it dry. Under extreme wind driven rain, it is possible for a small amount to pool on top. When you retract the slide and the pool is up there, you will get some water coming in as the slide retracts.

I carry a small two step aluminum ladder I use to allow me to turn the awning locking wheels by hand. It beats using the long rod. I just step up on the ladder and take a look at the slide before closing (assuming we have had wind driven rain). The water can easily be removed by a squege or a cloth on the end of a stick. There really isn't much up there.

We have have had that happen. It seems that it may be tied to the the hot water heater that sometime drips out a few drops out of the safety valve before finishing its heating cycle. I think as the heater cools down, the internal pressure within the lines drops and the pump does a very quick cycle. No more than about a second. I only caught this by opening up the water heater door just to check things out. Not enough drips out for you to see, if the water heater door is closed.

My drawers under the bed have slid open. Not often. I'm having a bigger problem keeping the kitchen cabinet drawers closed. The trailer has been in twice for this. No fix yet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:19 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Jack -

You say: "My drawers under the bed have slid open. Not often. I'm having a bigger problem keeping the kitchen cabinet drawers closed. The trailer has been in twice for this. No fix yet."

I had a similar problem with my drawers. The most severe was the drawer in our bedroom vanity (we have twin beds). That got so bad that we had to put the drawer on the floor before towing.

I had my drawers worked on 4 different times - by 2 different dealers and the factory twice before Dave Schumann at Airstream directed the service technician to install a different type of latch (a friction type) and that seems to have now fixed the problem.

In my opinion, the drawers come open to a large degree because of the cheap, ineffective drawer slides that Airstream uses. Since they have had such an apparent, and widespread problem with these drawers, you'd think they would change to using a more effective latch.

John
Old 06-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #135

Fenton , Missouri
I'd be happy to have a latch. I had latches on the Safari which worked great. This is one giant step backwards.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #136
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Tom, The ignition light only comes on when there is a failure.{see operation manual} I, like you ,thought I had the same problem. On the Gas Only models the light does come on during ignition, but on the Gas-Electric models it only comes on with a failure. I think you'll find the ocasual cycling of the pump normal. I've found it to be common with every RV I've owned. The pressure in the lines as water temp changes will cause this to happen. If it coming on a time or two through the night bothers you just turn the switch off before retiring. I think you could probably mark these two items off your list.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Tom, The ignition light only comes on when there is a failure.{see operation manual} I, like you ,thought I had the same problem. On the Gas Only models the light does come on during ignition, but on the Gas-Electric models it only comes on with a failure. I think you'll find the ocasual cycling of the pump normal. I've found it to be common with every RV I've owned. The pressure in the lines as water temp changes will cause this to happen. If it coming on a time or two through the night bothers you just turn the switch off before retiring. I think you could probably mark these two items off your list.
Pieman
Mike,
Thanks for the response. I must have mis-read the water heater owners manual. I'll mark that one off.
As for the water pump, I know what you mean by the "occasional cycle," in that I have also experienced that on other RV's. However, this one seems a bit too often, in that it will cycle every minute or two sometimes. At other times, it will only have the occasional cycle like you described.
Regards,
Tom Riley
Old 06-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #138
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We have had our 2004 slideout almost a year and a half. We have only had water coming in during close up once. Normally the awning over the slide protects the top of the slide out and keeps it dry. Under extreme wind driven rain, it is possible for a small amount to pool on top. When you retract the slide and the pool is up there, you will get some water coming in as the slide retracts.

I carry a small two step aluminum ladder I use to allow me to turn the awning locking wheels by hand. It beats using the long rod. I just step up on the ladder and take a look at the slide before closing (assuming we have had wind driven rain). The water can easily be removed by a squege or a cloth on the end of a stick. There really isn't much up there.

We have have had that happen. It seems that it may be tied to the the hot water heater that sometime drips out a few drops out of the safety valve before finishing its heating cycle. I think as the heater cools down, the internal pressure within the lines drops and the pump does a very quick cycle. No more than about a second. I only caught this by opening up the water heater door just to check things out. Not enough drips out for you to see, if the water heater door is closed.

My drawers under the bed have slid open. Not often. I'm having a bigger problem keeping the kitchen cabinet drawers closed. The trailer has been in twice for this. No fix yet.

Jack
Jack,
Thanks for your response.
Please see my below post regarding the pump cycling. Incidently, I checked the pressure valve on the water heater, and no evidence of leak.
As far as the slideout water problem, I get substantial water in (estimate 6 to 8 oz.) during retraction after any rain. I'll try your suggestion on clearing water from the slide top before retraction. However, you would think Airstream would be capable of designing such that this type of problem did not occur.
Regards,
Tom
Old 06-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #139

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Jack,
Thanks for your response.
As far as the slideout water problem, I get substantial water in (estimate 6 to 8 oz.) during retraction after any rain. I'll try your suggestion on clearing water from the slide top before retraction. However, you would think Airstream would be capable of designing such that this type of problem did not occur.
Regards,
Tom
That's interesting Tom. Just a thought, is it possible that your trailer is slightly off of level when parked? Maybe when the bubble level was mounted you weren't perfectly level or a bad level point was measured? I often thought about that day when I got water, and whether I was off level. Since this has only happened once to me, my thought is an off level condition, not enough from a comfort or noticable point, but enough to allow water to collect and pool over the slide out. I'm assuming your awning is adequately covering the slide out when it opens. I going to look a little at the slide and determine how it is crowned. Ideally it should be crowned in all directions away from the trailer which will let water run off. Maybe its only crowned from side to side (streetside/curbside) which could cause collection if the streetside sits a little high.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Aren't your tail lights LEDs? Or were you referring to the red marker lights?
Sorry, was referring to the red marker lights, the ones on top of the AS and on the side. Seems all but one have burned out. And we bought a new 2005!