Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Confused About Airstream Models

Not long ago we purchased our 22' 2002 International, and we love it. Bought it used without doing a lot of research. Now I'm trying to understand something about the Airstream models, but I cannot find a source to read for information. For instance, what is the difference between Safari and International? What does CCD mean? Did they only make my model in 2002 and why was it discontinued?

Am I asking for too much information?
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome

They made the 22 CCD through 2005 or 2006.

The CCD stands for Christopher C. Deen who did the original interior design. It's minimalist and for those of us who are fans, it makes the interior fulfill the promise of the outside.

The Safari is the low price model.

The Safari SE (special edition) is a bit of a hybrid between the Safari and the International CCD... bare walls, but Safari grade laminates and fabrics.

The International has a higher grade of laminates, very spare and modern interiors and of course the bare walls. The 2007 2008 models have modified the original black woodgrain partition walls to be either a coffee brown or a gleaming white/machined aluminum in a "beached out" version.

The Classic is the high end model, new ones have a hickory interior, leather and corian counters. (I dislike the plumbing fixtures which are a dark bronze and way too ornate but it is cushy,cushy cushy.

Additionally the term "Bambi" applies to 16 and 19 foot models that come in either Safari, Safari SE and CCD models. If you're confused... it's a normal reaction.

Airstream has done a lot to upgrade their website, but Colonial Airstream " Of New Jersey " 1121 Rt. 88 Lakewood, NJ 08701 Airstreams #1 Volume Dealership probably has more units you can virtually tour that most other sites. You can see the various color schemes the CCD now comes. in, etc.

I have an 05 22 CCD that I'm getting ready to go out traveling in. See you down the road.

Paula
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
In the first year of the 22ft Int'l, maybe it was '02, airstream had two versions. The following year ('03) only one. The differences were interior floor plan and trim details. The CCD outsold the other and has been continued to the present.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I am interested in finding out floorplans and specs for Classics from about 1995 to 2000. It appears information is available for older models, and certainly for 2008, but nothing between. I understand these are lighter than more recent models and with a 2002 Tundra V8 withy tow package and TRD suspension I have weight limits to consider. The Tundra has too few miles to consider buying a new truck (these Toyotas just don't wear out!).
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Br549

That is good info.
Never knew all that.

I'll remember they all just look cool.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
The Safari is the low price model. Paula

Paula,

We Safari owners prefer the term the Mother ship uses. "Down to earth price."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote