RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #201
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
I don't understand this ... how many houses have grey tanks?
A totally different beast that cannot be compared. I mean for starters, a house waste line is immediately purged after each use, there are no tanks (unless you have a septic system, and even then if it works right, it's purging as fast as it can). A house also is not moving all the time, going over good, bad and ugly roads, up hills, down hills, leaning to one side or another, etc.

The essence of my comment on not thinking it is a good idea to have the lav sink on the black tank has a few reasons. One, it has the ability to add to the black tank, helping fill it faster. For the same reason I didn't like the combo tank, I'm a firm believer in having 2 tanks and keeping the black, black and the grey, grey. If folks disagree, that's up to them, I'm just stating my preference. I would not buy a trailer that had a combo black/grey tank, nor would I like to own a coach that mixes because in my case we boondock a lot. In a lot of parks I go to out in the middle of nowhere, I can pull the grey tank, but I can't purge the black, no matter how remote the park is..... Now if I were in full hookups more than not, it would be a non issue to me.

As for the smell source, I'm at a loss then......just glad I have a 25' unit that keeps the waste waters seperate with no smell.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #202

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
jcanavera,

I can't really isolate the smell. Sometimes I think it's coming from the "back" of the toilet, but not too sure. I've climbed on all fours sniffing around the toilet, lower cabnets, sink, etc, but never isolated it.
Assuming the sink P-trap is holding water the only logical next step would be checking the seal between the toilet and holding tank. When the toilet is not in use or been recently flushed, you shouldn't be smelling any type of waste.

I had this toilet in my Safari and the same model in two previous SOB's. The only failure I had was the flush seal....and that was after 10 years of use.

It's time for you to see your dealer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #203
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I'll add my two scents...

We occasionally get a whiff of something in our AS. At first I thought that it was a sewer-y kind of smell. I thought about this and realized that my new-ish Bambi has all sorts of smells, most of which I think are the actual building materials relalted used in the making of this and any new unit.

Particle board, plywood, laminate, glues, caulks, a whole plethora of stuff that gives off an aroma. Not to mention mixing that with cooking, heating, AC.

So it got me thinking that maybe a combination of these things would cause the nose to think it is something else.

I have not checked the lav cabinet, but next time I'm at the coach, I'll thrust my well endowed proboscus in there.

Either way, the sewer smell seems to be a momentary thing. Toilet holds water fine.

Jonathan
Old 07-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #204
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
We haven't had any black water smell issues while traveling. The odor only seems to be strong when we are parked, and when it is hot, hot, hot out there (lately, we've beenin 100+ degree weather). Most of the smell seems to come up when we flush the toilet and the air from above exchanges with the air from the black tank. Also, to conserve, we follow the rule:

"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

Which, we are sure, contributes to part of the smell in the bathroom. It will be interesting to see if anyone goes to JC to get their pipes rerouted, and what the engineers think about the healthiness/unhealthiness of routing the lav sink to the black tank.

Have not had any issue with the flushing line next to the galley sink. That lines seems to be tight, for now.
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:50 PM   #205
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Ok I'm not clear now because I thought that all of our sink lines go into traps. If the traps hold their water, no sewer gases can get into the trailer.

Jack

In our 28 ft CCD lav sink, we have the lav drain which connects to the P trap which connects to the T which connects to the down pipe into the black tank. The lav vent pipe underneath the sink is connected to the T after the P trap - basically it is a straight line down from the vent to the black tank - there is no trap between the vent and the black tank. Thus, gases can theoretically come up through the vent, but there would probably need to be some kind of negative pressure bringing it up (e.g. the bathroom fan), or positive pressure from the outside vent pushing it up (e.g. winds from outside pushing into the roof vent of the black tank). Likelihood? Not sure. But it is possible.
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:27 AM   #206

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
In our 28 ft CCD lav sink, we have the lav drain which connects to the P trap which connects to the T which connects to the down pipe into the black tank. The lav vent pipe underneath the sink is connected to the T after the P trap - basically it is a straight line down from the vent to the black tank - there is no trap between the vent and the black tank. Thus, gases can theoretically come up through the vent, but there would probably need to be some kind of negative pressure bringing it up (e.g. the bathroom fan), or positive pressure from the outside vent pushing it up (e.g. winds from outside pushing into the roof vent of the black tank). Likelihood? Not sure. But it is possible.
Right, that's the proper installation for use with your sink. Normally the only time I have smelled black tank gas outside, is if we are doing a rapid filling of the toilet. Sometimes prior to departing a campsite, we will fill the toilet, dumping many loads of water to get a goodly amount of liquid in the black tank. Depending on outdoor conditions, that rapid loading of the tank will expell a lot of the air in that tank and sometimes you can smell that outdoors.

So again if the sink P trap is retaining water, you probably shouldn't have any sewer gases making their way into the bathroom from that source.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
A full timer friend of ours, who owns a really mega-buck rig, said it all when it comes to quality. "They all have some of the same $10 parts that break."
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 AM   #208
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Warranty Card

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get the "plastic warranty card" referred to in the manual from Airstream? I bought my Airstream about two months ago and the only thing I've recieved so far is a letter congratulating me on the purchase, an order card for the hats/jackets that came with the upgrade package, and information on WBCCI. I'm getting ready for a road trip and, based on the quality control issues I've had to date, I believe it would be a good idea to have the card in hand before I left. I apologize if this information is in another thread, but I ran a search and didn't get any relevant results. I also attempted twice to start a thread but was unable.

Thanks.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #209
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Never had such a card with either Airstream ('03 or '04). It's all based on serial number, so if you run into issues on the road and pull in to an authorized Airstream repair shop, all they need is the serial number off the side of the coach. Not sure how it works with the internals, like fridge, furnace, etc, if you ran to a service center that was not an Airstream shop, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most internals have at least a year warranty and if that were not enough, I'm sure Airstream would be able to verify with any company the date of purchase based on serial number of your coach.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #210

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
. I'm getting ready for a road trip and, based on the quality control issues I've had to date, I believe it would be a good idea to have the card in hand before I left. I apologize if this information is in another thread, but I ran a search and didn't get any relevant results. I also attempted twice to start a thread but was unable.

Thanks.
Unless something changed for 2005, there is no warranty card as best I know. If there was any issue on the road, the servicing dealer can always call Airstream to get that info., or worst case the dealer you purchased from.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Jack,

Thanks for the response. You're right, Airstream just answered my e-mail and stated they haven't updated the manual, and because everything is online, they no longer issue the card.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #212
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
For warranty work, all Airstream ever asked for were the last 6 digits of our VIN number. I presume that would work for a dealer also.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #213
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Jackson Center for Warranty Repairs

We recently had our 28' International at Jackson Center for warranty items:

1. Crooked rear tail light - removed, reinstalled, & resealed - OK
2. Sticking curb side bedroom window - extra aluminum removed on inner window - OK
3. Sink area pull down shade coming apart - re glued - OK
4. Sometimes leaking shower door - recaulked - OK
5. Midship storage door (between fridge and shower) frequently popping open during transit - applied velcro in 3 locations - this is kind of a cheeseball fix and it is NOT 100% effective
6. Rear skylight shade would not open 100% - fixed - but now the shade droops when partially open
2 missing rivets and 1 missing screw head cover - installed all 3 - OK
8. Step light non-functional after leaving dealer lot - connected ground wire to this light - OK
9. Outside speaker grommet loose - tightened - OK
10. Microwave /Convection does not function properly , the most aggravating defect we found in our unit - Airstream verified the install was proper and then referred us to Sharp, the manufacturer - NOT one bit happy about having to take care of this ourselves. We expected the defective unit to be replaced and that Airstream would deal with Sharp. I would have argued with them about this, but I had the family waiting at home (95 miles away) for myself and the trailer for a weekend camping trip. We had to remove the unit and take it to a local center for evaluation and are still waiting to hear from them.

11. Our trailer's interior was noticeably dirtier at pickup then it was a drop off: aluminum shavings, dirt, and some greasy handprints.

Overall, an OK experience, but #'s 10 & 11 surely tempered the experience.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #214
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A small problem and a big problem

Found that I have an intermittent exterior light at the dump valves. I selcom use it, but the worst part about that is the light might be accidentally left switched on and later come on and drain the batteries.

Big one is that my refrigerator totally died on the 3rd day of an 11-day trip. When I stopped at Memphis the second night out, the cold drinks didn't seem as cold as they should be, so I switched the box to the coldest setting. By the time we reached St Louis, the ice cubes had thawed (97-degrees outside). The boiler was the hottest I have ever noted, but the tubing I could reach was at ambient temperqature. i.e. absolutely no circulation in the system; the ammonia is probably spread across Arkansas and Missouri. We lost about $40 worth of food and had a problem keeping the insulin at a safe temperature. Trying to keep some things cool with ice was a mess with water everywhere; I finally bought some dry ice in Waco on the way home and that worked a lot better.

Otherwise, the trailer perfromed well and I found no other problems. On the positive side, the 13,500 btu AC along with a Fantastic Endless Breeze fan to circulate the air cooled the trailer down very nicely at 102-degrees when we stopped at Mount Pleasant, Texas. It wasn't terribly pleasant that day.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #215

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
We recently had our 28' International at Jackson Center for warranty items:

10. Microwave /Convection does not function properly , the most aggravating defect we found in our unit - Airstream verified the install was proper and then referred us to Sharp, the manufacturer - NOT one bit happy about having to take care of this ourselves. We expected the defective unit to be replaced and that Airstream would deal with Sharp. I would have argued with them about this, but I had the family waiting at home (95 miles away) for myself and the trailer for a weekend camping trip. We had to remove the unit and take it to a local center for evaluation and are still waiting to hear from them.
Similar experience to a point with a problem microwave door latch on my SOB. Dealer had to remove microwave and send to a service center to fix. Trailer was at the dealership for two weeks. It broke again, this time dealer advised me I would do better to remove it myself and take it to a local microwave service center. Would save me 100+ mile round trip to the dealer and would get fixed a lot faster.

In your case I can see why A/S didn't want to fix the microwave, since that probably would have tied up your trailer for a longer period, but on the other hand I have seen them replace A/C units rather than attempt to diagnose and fix problems and you would think they would replace the unit. It would be interesting to redirect the question to them and ask why.

In my case on my SOB it was a very easy situation to unscrew a few screws and get access to the microwave for removal.....and it save 100+ miles of driving and fuel.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Big one is that my refrigerator totally died on the 3rd day of an 11-day trip
Pahaska,

Let me know how your fridge story ends. I had my fully replaced by Marshall's Traveland a few weeks ago. They had to order one from Dometic.

You think it's the cooling unit, not just the circuit board?

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #217
Contributing Member

Quote:
Pahaska,

Let me know how your fridge story ends. I had my fully replaced by Marshall's Traveland a few weeks ago. They had to order one from Dometic.

Kevin
No doubt that it is the cooling unit. Boiler stack is abnormally HOT!!!, all tubing that I can reach a hand to is at ambient temperature. That can only be a lost ammonia charge or a clogged up system. Circuit board switches properly between AC and propane and can not cause that.

I used a 125-degree thermostat on the lower tubing of my former trailer to control the stack fan, so I know that the lower tubing should be too not to lay a hand on when the fridge is running.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #218
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
In your case I can see why A/S didn't want to fix the microwave, since that probably would have tied up your trailer for a longer period, but on the other hand I have seen them replace A/C units rather than attempt to diagnose and fix problems and you would think they would replace the unit. It would be interesting to redirect the question to them and ask why.

Jack
They had our trailer for two weeks. I dropped it off on a Friday and picked it up two weeks later. They worked on it the Monday following the drop-off, see they had time, and I will redirect the question to them, as I just received the postcard from them as a follow-up to the service.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #219
Contributing Member

Quote:
Pahaska,

Kevin
New refrigerator will be/has been shipped to the dealer and should arrive the 18th. There were none available in the state of Texas, so it is coming from Dometic central location.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #220
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
I met a couple last week who had purchased an 05 Bambi a few days earlier in Vero Beach, FL. Shortly after leaving the dealer the street side wheel came off damaging the wheel well and exterior skin. Another 05 Safari owners hot water heater stopped working. He was on his way to the factory for other warranty work to be performed. I met a guy last year who was taking a shower in his new AS motor home. The bottom of the shower busted through. He had just returned from the factory to have a roof leak fixed. So much for quality on what should be the best built trailer in America.

Ben
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote