Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #201
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Hi there. New member. I sent you a PM. Am very sorry to hear of your troubles. We would love to give your baby a new home..We are loooking for something to take our family camping in. We have a tent but are kinda tired of it. We camp frequently and will be living in it for two months this summer. We plan to use it frequently and restore anything else it might need. We are hoping to buy one in the next two weeks.. My husband and I have always loved the look of the airstream. It has soul unlike those boxes on wheels that you see everywhere. Please PM me or call!

Catherine

'77 vw bus, Daisy
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #202
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
I've sent you a PM with my phone number. The trailer will also include the pile 'o stuff that I have accumulated for the rehab, that I haven't gotten to put in yet.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #203
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like KatKat is going to be the proud new owner of Goliath, they should get along great. I am meeting them Saturday in a campground near Ocala. While he is hooked up to water and electric, I can then show them all the little quirks and foibles of a 40 something year old Airstream. Then we will set up their towing gear for their tow vehicle, make sure everything works as intended, and I will ride off into the sunset, trying not to look back.
There is a bright side to this, I get to spend one more weekend with Goliath before saying goodbye, and they have promised to continue posting updates on his 120 step rehab. I'll post a final update when I get home Saturday night, and turn this thread over to them.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #204

APO , AE
Please e-mail me if the sale falls through, I might be interested.
drummer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #205
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Have to, have to, have to.

Seriously, I enjoyed speaking with you yesterday evening and I think Goliath is being adopted by a wonderful and loving family. I hope and pray he gives you as much fun and adventure as he has given us. I wish I could go with Terry Friday night, but like I told you on the phone, I have the big moving sale this weekend.

Drive carefully and Godspeed to you and yours.

Marie :flow ers:: flowers:
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Welcome to the forums, Katkat ~ Congratulations! It sounds like you are getting a "legacy" Airstream previously loved and cared for by Terry and Marie, a couple of our well-loved forum members. I know you and your family will enjoy Goliath. This means you'll have to make it to one of the rallies. You're part of the Airstream family now.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
I think Goliath is being adopted by a wonderful and loving family.
It's like you're talking about one of your children, Marie!

Karma Terry, Marie, katkat -- and drummer12345 karma too. katkat and drummer12345 -- welcome to the Forums! Drummer, thank you for your service to the country -- stay tuned and we'd hope you find your Airstream! And watch the h*** out for eBay, the last refuge of scoundrels.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #209
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Thank you! I am hoping to meet you at a campground eventually, Marie! I enjoyed our conversation and promise to take VERY good care of him. I'll post lots of pics to prove it! Thanks to everyone else for the welcome to the club! We hope to go to some Rallys and will be in N.C. for the next two months. My five year old daughter, Rachel and seven year old son Jacob are so thrilled! They are already discussing Goliath by name. Brian and I have always loved Airstreams! When we decided to buy a travel trailer, we both asked each other what we thought about Airstreams at the same time! That's when we knew what to search for! We also have a 1977 VW bus named Daisy that is my baby. We love vintage and will do our best to preserve him!. Daisy and Goliath, LOL.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #210
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Heading North

Today is the day I am to collect Goliath, and the box of parts, and bits and pieces I haven't gotten installed yet, and head to Wildwood, Florida, to meet his new caretakers. The day started normally enough, with our local TV weather forcaster giving his blessing to our trip. That's good news, I was concerned I might have to drive through a lot of rain or smoke. I got an early start, as Marie can't come along and share the driving, we are having our moving sale this weekend, and I wanted to make sure I had time to stop and rest every hour or so. I may be able to walk again, with a little help, but I know better than to try to drive straight through.
I hobbled out to Moose, clambered up in the cab, and switched the key on. As I waited for the glow plugs to cycle, I mentally ran through my list of things to take along. Spare parts? Check. Worthington tanks? Check, Spare tire? Laptop? Clothes? Check, check, and check. I think I remembered it all, good.
The "glow plug" light went out, and I turned the key, the starter engaged, and the diesel engine knocked to life. After a few seconds, the rough, rattling idle smoothed out to the normal sound of an idling diesel. The temp gauge moved up off the "cold" mark, and the fast idle disengaged. We're ready to go, and pick up the other participant (and guest of honor).
Soon I pulled into the storage lot where we are keeping our silver children, and back up to Goliath. I start the routine of hooking up to go, and find it takes a lot longer to hook everything up holding a cane in one hand. But, I got it done, and soon we are off. Shortly we are traveling through the swamps of southwest Florida, heading for the Interstate. I stopped just before getting on I-75, and walked around the rig, both to stretch out my back and legs, and to make sure nothing is in danger of flying off. It's been since early December since Goliath was on the road, and storage can take a toll. I had filled the tires Sunday (all were low a few pounds from sitting), and double checked them last night. Everything looked good, so I crawled back into Moose, and continued on our way.Before I go much further, I'll stop, and post a picture I took of beauty and the beast when I went there this morning:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 144.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	37551  
Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #211
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Continuing North

Our trip North was relatively uneventful, quite a bit of traffic in Tampa, a stop to get out and move around both South and North of Tampa, and soon we were past the congestion, and Moose was able to do his thing. Soon we came to an area that may surprise people that have never been to Florida. There are real hills here, with curves and small valleys. Moose had to put a strong shoulder into herding Goliath up and over these hills. Here are a couple of photos taken on that part of I-75 At the point the pictures are taken, we have gone down one hill, and are about to go up another:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 147.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	37552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 146.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	37553  

Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #212
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Soon after going through the area above, I noticed the air conditioning in Moose didn't seem to be as cold as it was when I left. Not long after that, not as cold became not very cool, followed closely by not at all cool, and, of course, the famous "warm air".
Terrific. Well, I'm almost to my destination anyway, I guess I can sweat for a little while. We pulled into the campground, and were greeted by the owner, who was painting one of the cabins that KOA has available for RVers that are traveling sans RV.
He told me I was slated for site #20, and would that be all right? Umm, sure, why wouldn't it? I found out, when I got to site #20. A large tree about a foot from the right side, and a picninc table about 1" (yes, I meant to say inch) from the left side. Thanks, Pal. Remind me to take you off my Christmas card list.
Here are two photos showing the room I had to get in, the table cleared by an inch, and I brushed the tree with Moose's front bumper. No Airstreams were harmed in the use of this campsite:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 152.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	37554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 153.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	37555  

Old 05-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #213
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now the fun starts

Okay, now I've got Goliath wedged in here, I need to hook everything up. Turned on LP, water heater, pilots on the stove and oven, hooked up water and sewer, stabilizers, yada yada. Again I was reminded that it takes longer when you are doing this stuff one-handed.
The controls for the fridge are on the base of the fridge, not normally a problem, but when you can't bend so good, it becomes a problem. Got everything hooked up, turned on, air conditioner blowing a blizzard.
There are a few fulltimers here, two of them in Airstreams. I will go talk to them in the morning, and see how they like fulltiming.
Here are photos of the other two "millionaires" here:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 150.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	37556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 149.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	37557  

Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #214
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Finally, here are a couple photos of Goliath parked in his spot, patiently waiting for his new owners to retrieve him:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 148.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	37558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 151.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	37559  

Old 05-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #215
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
I'll be on the road in an hour and a half. It's gonna be a LONG ride but worth it!!!!! That pesky bank doesn't open until nine so I can't leave until then.. SHEESH! Don't they know I am in a hurry!?!?!? HARRUMPH!!! Wait, why am I upset?? I'm getting an AIRSTREAM today!

Can't wait!!!!t! Can't wait!!!!!Can't wait!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #216
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
You are going to love that camper. I'm excited for you, but sad for Terry. I hope you have a great trip home. Make sure and stay somewhere cool the first night.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Terry called and he is waiting for Cat to get there. He has been to Bob's and picked up the stuff for our new one and awning parts for Goliath per Cat's request.

More later.

Marie
Old 05-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #218
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since katkat will be arriving so late in the day, I reserved a second night here, so they can rest tonight before heading home in the morning. It is windy here today, it's probably just as well they are leaving tomorrow. I don't want them to have their first experience towing an Airstream to become a "white knuckle" event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
You are going to love that camper. I'm excited for you, but sad for Terry. I hope you have a great trip home. Make sure and stay somewhere cool the first night.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #219
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Since katkat will be arriving so late in the day, I reserved a second night here, so they can rest tonight before heading home in the morning. It is windy here today, it's probably just as well they are leaving tomorrow. I don't want them to have their first experience towing an Airstream to become a "white knuckle" event.
You the man!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #220
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
My trip to Bob's

I have previously mentioned Bob's RV parts and sales before, and since I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by to get some odds and ends for the new trailer. Unfortunately Bob passed away last August, but the place is still owned by "Mrs. Bob", and ably run by the crew that has been there forever. I wound up with a pair of brand new mattresses, the underbed cabinet assembly with all the tambors, and, after a hurried phone call, new awning material for Goliath.
I took some photos while I was there. There are quite a few Airstreams being cannibalized there, as well as hundreds of SOBs.
The place looks like an RV park after a tornado has made an appearance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 154.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	37598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 155.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	37599  

Name:	Picture 156.jpg