Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia
Gas & Diesel availability

Dear Folks,

My wife and I are planning a cross country trip late April. What is the conventional outlook on whether there will be issues getting fuel?

Also - we have a few days each way - best route suggestions? Virginia to Oregon.

Thanks!
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
There are approximately 168,000 fuel stations in America. I think you will be OK getting filled up along the way
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Yeah, pay at the pump. But who knows when campgrounds will reopen, dump stations will be available, or what food and supplies will be available. Things change day to day.

Ask those questions the day before you leave. It's crazy out there!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I am very hopeful that things will get back to normal over the next month, But who knows. We are keeping our Airstreaming plans very fluid.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not seeing any reports of fuel shortages. So interested in what other people are experiencing. Fuel was being pumped yesterday and saw no lines.

Food market did not have full shelves, but was able to get the items on the list by making some substitutions.

Folks are trying to make light of the circumstances with humor and that helps some. Lots of stress out there, so be nice, keep your distance, smile and let's get through this together. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We too are staying flexible with our plans for the next several months. We were planning going from VT to FL in mid April. It's a wait and see.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I think you will run into more trouble with food than with fuel. There does not seem to be any trend to hoard fuel. The food "stockpiling" is a bit nonsensical around here. One example : It's not at all clear why a person (who lives alone) needs 24 loves of fresh bread. It would *seem* that a couple bags of flour and some yeast would make a *lot* more sense ....

Because it's nonsense time, you can't predict what you will find "down the road". Toilet paper looks like something you should not count on stocking up on while in transit. Don't look for bread around here . Fresh vegetables seem to be in abundant supply at the stores here.

It's not at all clear what happens if you need some sort of service on your TV (or worse trailer). Any sort of breakdown could be more than a little exciting as a result.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I80 is probably your best bet. Transition to I84 at Salt Lake City which will get you to northern Oregon.
We went back east a few years ago and drove I90 into Minnesota. The lack of semi trucks was noticeable and the highway was in pretty good condition. This may be out of your way and I don't know what the weather is like in April though. If you do opt for I90, take 395 from Spokane WA to I84.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
I haven't heard of any fuel shortages. It's easy for people to stock up on food, but not many people have tanks to store fuel in.

As for the route, Crater Lake National Park in Oregon is one of our favorite parks. If you haven't been it's well worth a trip!
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Fuel is abundant! Look at the low prices. watch the weather close this time of year on I-90 & I-80. Be ready to head south if snow is forecasted. Stock up on groceries first.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you date back to the various oil crisis events in the 1970's/80's, people do indeed go nutty about fuel. "Hurricane coming" often is another example of fuel panic. People can very quickly find enough cans to drain every station in a state. It hasn't happened yet with this event, but it could .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Gas & Diesel availability

Maybe some haven’t heard the market is being literally flooded with crude. US is filling the strategic fuel reserves. Prices may not drop dramatically because of shortages of transport ships. More so we are facing the end of the heating season and as of late demand is down.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I am very hopeful that things will get back to normal over the next month, But who knows. We are keeping our Airstreaming plans very fluid.

Brian
I also hope that things get back to normal (or the new normal) as soon as possible. But I would keep those plans fluid.

Public health officials started off with week and two week closures. Then a month, and so on. They are now talking multiple months, likely followed by a relaxing of restrictions, then a resurgence in cases, then a repeating cycle.

A speaker yesterday talked about how we tend to think of this as a blizzard to be weathered for a few days. He said it is more apt to call it a winter than a blizzard.

We should not panic, that doesn't help anything. But we should be realistic and adjust to rapidly changing conditions. And look out for each other.

Stay safe.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Fuel is abundant! Look at the low prices. watch the weather close this time of year on I-90 & I-80. Be ready to head south if snow is forecasted. Stock up on groceries first.
Crude is abundant. Refined fuels will be subject to refinery and distribution capacity, and in some cases, to the financial strength of the energy companies. Those very low prices are putting some at risk.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Darwin had it right in 1859

Some people hoard...

...others sell what is needed for them to do so.

Darwin wrote a number of difficult to read books in 1859 and later. 'Origin of Species' was rather difficult to read but the 'Survival of the Fittest' still reigns high on the DNA charts. They are still true. I like the Ape sitting down and holding a Human Skull in his hand and wondering... what is this?

Darwinian Evolution continues today. Natural Selection is important. Traits like being able to adapt to difficult situations and common sense trumps Brute Force and Brawn.

When the crowd runs in one direction... you, walk towards the other. Much like an Airstream dealership... now you can work on a 'tighter margin' of profit, if any for a dealer. These have become an instant depreciating 'new asset' on the lot. Opportunity is fleeting and now may YOUR opportunity.

(But... the Dealerships will be empty because of... trailers containing some sharp metal edges and the 'new smell' is not good for you.)

When individuals give up their control of their own destiny... they become more dependent on those who may not know any more than themselves. Some may want to Hoard Air. Others will supply them the balloons to do so.

Follow the news, but read in between the lines. These are scripts for a movie with no end in sight. Next thing those 'in control' will be banning Boondocking in the National Forest and BLM lands. This leaves you to go UP, or dig DOWN. It is difficult to control healthy people when they are... missing. OTG Boondocking is Ahhhhh... wonderful yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
cvs

2013 23' FB International
Federal Way , WA
Agree 100% with PKI’s message.
We’ve gone from Seattle area to Tucson in past week and no fuel or RV park problems at all yet. Bread, rice, hand sanitizer and bottled water shelves at all grocery stores are EMPTY though.
cvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Davenport , Florida
We drove up airstreams mothership from Florida two weeks ago to have a floor replacement done on 2017 FC 28ft no problems with gas or or camping on the way will be heading back home on Friday hope all is the same on the trip back. Air stream did a good job and fast,made me nervous with all the places closing down��
hickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Non-essential travel is not recommended. Stay put. Don't be selfish.Do the right thing.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
The majority is no longer driving to school, vacations, work, etc. Therefore, no one is buying gas, and therefore, prices are low because fuel is abundant.

Paid $1.41 in Childress, Texas yesterday.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Clackamas , Oregon
Oregon is now under Stay at Home orders for the entire state. All state parks and private campgrounds are closed. USFS campgrounds have not yet opened for the season and who knows if they will. Now is not the time to be traveling. We had a trip to Utah planned for April, but canceled our plans. We are itching to get out camping too, but just not now.
ORtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote