I think it's very doable! Some good places to search:
1. the VAC classifieds online
2. other internet classifeds
3. local newspaper classifieds
4. drive around RV storage yards regularly, keeping an eye out for "For Sale" signs
5. get to know some of your local WBCCI members for word-of-mouth "finds"
6. ask about the owners if you see one that doesn't look like it has
and finally, be prepared to act fast! The good ones go quickly...
We were very fortunate in finding our GlobeTrotter in a classified newspaper ad. It was located about 2 miles form our home and was the first one we looked at. We went to look at it and committed to buying it within an hour of seeing it...and never looked back! They will all need some
work, just decide upfront what you think you can handle...then go for it!
P.S. Either that or get out the checkbook for one that's already been restored!