Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
2019 AS GT Polk Radio and Refrigerator

Among the many other issues we have dealt with I have now come to the opinion that the Polk radio and refrigerators installed in 2019 AS GT"s are simply inferior products.

Has anyone replaced their Polk radios? If so with what? Were modifications required? Is there a non-Polk drop in available?

Has anyone developed an actual fix for the refrigerator? Our refrigerator has been worked on by the local dealership multiple times and by Jackson Center. JC declared it fixed late last fall, but I don't buy it. It is winter time in TX (I know 90% of the country is colder than TX) but it is still winter here, 30/40's at night and 60's during the day and the refrigerator still struggles to maintain anything below 40f with it set on maximum output. In two months we will be back in the 90's and we will likely be back to using an RTIC cooler to ensure we have safe food.
olgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgoat View Post
Among the many other issues we have dealt with I have now come to the opinion that the Polk radio and refrigerators installed in 2019 AS GT"s are simply inferior products.

Has anyone replaced their Polk radios? If so with what? Were modifications required? Is there a non-Polk drop in available?
We had issues with the Polk unit in pairing and maintaining pairing. I got JC to replace it as a warranty issue. The replacement unit seemed to work better. Not sure what problems you're having since you didn't describe them.

We have never liked the refrigerator. Ours seems to cool for the most part but in general it does not get cold enough. Even though the seals have been adjusted it frosts up in both the freezer and the refer part. On the road we had to quarterly or so defrost it which is difficult if all the food you are surviving on is in your refrigerator... Our unit was serviced by a Dometic place in Florida and also at Jackson Center. Still same issues. We have a warranty visit to JC scheduled for June and I'm going to try and talk them into replacing it.

We had a 2019 25 FBT Flying Cloud as a loaner from Ultimate Airstreams and the 2-way refrigerator in that trailer was superior to the 3-way one in the Globetrotter. Got cold. Stayed cold. Did not frost up at all in the month and a half we had it.

Good luck with your issues.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m sure you are aware, but AS switched the radio out to another brand (Fusion) for 2020. That may help you in negotiating with them. After all, why did they switch it if it didn’t have a problem.
Our refrigerator says dometic. I don’t think it’s any different from earlier models. Just keeping our fingers crossed with it. Hoping it’s a good one. Ours worked for 8 years in our 2011 without issues, while we heard a lot of folks with 23FBs were having issues.
Hope you get both working.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
The Dometic in our 2019 FC19CB has already been replaced. Started to die on our second to last outing & was dead in the water for our last outing. Would have had one more outing if not for it being serviced for the fridge.

I credit our dealer at Woodland RV for fighting with Dometic to replace instead of repair the unit... the dealer won. Now fingers are crossed as we won’t get to try it until spring
2012 Ford Explorer ~ Retired
"I don't know Margo"
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
Same issues with Polk radio. Will not re-pair any time you walk out of range. The only way to get it to pair is remove the fuse from the radio or move the battery disconnect to store and back to use. Radio has been replaced once, new one has the exact same issues at the last one.

Neither our local service dealer nor JC would change the refrigerator. Based on several reviews I have read, I doubt it would help anyway. The refrigerator either has a design issue or AirStream's application is not proper for this refrigerator. Either way AirStream doesn't really seem all that concerned.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
Same issues with Polk radio. Will not re-pair any time you walk out of range. The only way to get it to pair is remove the fuse from the radio or move the battery disconnect to store and back to use. Radio has been replaced once, new one has the exact same issues at the last one.

Neither our local service dealer nor JC would change the refrigerator. Based on several reviews I have read, I doubt it would help anyway. The refrigerator either has a design issue or AirStream's application is not proper for this refrigerator. Either way AirStream doesn't really seem all that concerned.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Olgoat, we've got the same 3-way fridge and after using it for a season, I learned some of its quirks and what worked best.

Here's what I found:
* Like any absorption fridge, it needs to be level.

* It cools best when on propane. I did try it on 12V when towing. It worked but after a few hours I noticed temps rising.

I haven't tried it yet but others recommend battery operated fans in absorption fridges to keep air flowing and maintain a more even temp.

Do you have a thermometer? I used my BBQ wireless thermometer with a remote that sits on the dash of the tow vehicle to keep an eye on things when on the road.

By the way, I saw a video with Patrick from Colonial demonstrating a new 12V compressor fridge in a 2020 AS and he said they're more consistent in temp management. And, they're deeper because they don't have the boiler like the absorption units. If ours dies I would check to see if one would fit. The downside is no propane.

The Polk radio is a joke! It's a marine unit used for boating and while it works, it's got a terrible interface. I'm thinking of bringing my Apple Homepod speaker next trip. I wish they'd offer a radio like in cars and trucks with CarPlay / Android Auto. Sync to your phone and play away!

Good luck and let us know what you find. Will we see you in Loveland at the International Rally?

Thanks!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2105.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	360708  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I have no issues with either one.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
I have the same frig. Aside from being too small for this size trailer, it doesn't work very well. Using electric, I can get it down to about 38 but only for a week, then stops working completely. I have to put my food in a cooler, turn the frig off for the night and it usually will start back up again in the morning. Repeat again in about a week. Don't know if its overheating or what. I have a battery fan inside the frig along with wireless thermometer in frig and freezer. I was wondering about a Dinosaur circuit board for this model frig. I was reading about them and it mentioned there is a knob to adjust the temp. Something to research...
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #10
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Do you all just run the fridge at the coldest setting all the time? Our fridge in our old AS would sometimes freeze some items.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
No problems with the Polk here, although it doesn't get a lot of use. My iPhone will frequently ask me if it can pair with the Polk when I enter the trailer and the Polk is in standby mode, which it always is unless the battery disconnect switch is off.

I have used a battery operated refrigerator fan since day one and only monitor the freezer temps. the freezer has never gotten below 5 degrees and usually stays in the 5-10 degree range. The refrigerator has always been set to maximum cool.

I have not noticed a difference in temps between AC or propane operation.

My only serious complaint with this refrigerator is it will not run on 12 volt while towing.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
When we had our 2014 Serenity 25' the refrigerator struggled to stay in the low 40's even after putting interior circulation fans and an outside exhaust fan. Our 2015 Classic 30 refrigerator setting stays on 4 to keep it above 32 and the freezer maintains 0 or below. I thought the poor performance of the former refrigerator was the nature of these units so was pleasantly surprised with our present unit.

The Polk works but limited functionality and the inability to control the volume remotely is frustrating. I changed back to the TV speakers and play music through my iPhone to enable remote volume control.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Try the Polk Audio App for remote control?

NWRVR, have you tried the Polk Audio app for remote control of the audio volume? I pulled my batteries for the winter but did open the app on the iPhone and got the Info screen (see below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9EC3C3C2-9D65-4789-A6B3-9CF2FCE83DF2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	360771  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
No problems with the Polk here, although it doesn't get a lot of use. My iPhone will frequently ask me if it can pair with the Polk when I enter the trailer and the Polk is in standby mode, which it always is unless the battery disconnect switch is off.

I have used a battery operated refrigerator fan since day one and only monitor the freezer temps. the freezer has never gotten below 5 degrees and usually stays in the 5-10 degree range. The refrigerator has always been set to maximum cool.

I have not noticed a difference in temps between AC or propane operation.

My only serious complaint with this refrigerator is it will not run on 12 volt while towing.

Dave S
Dave, did you leave the Store/Use switch on? Set the fridge to 12V before you leave (not Auto).

I was able to use our GT 3-way fridge on 12V while towing. We’ve got solar so and I kept an eye on the fridge temps remotely to make sure it maintained a safe level.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Jeff

Yes I leave the 12v disconnect switch on while towing. But I'm determined to try and get this refrigerator to run on automatic. With propane on and fridge set to automatic while towing, after driving a couple of hours and stopping (engine still running) I have checked the fridge and it is operating on propane.

Maybe I should try this:
1. refrigerator off
2. connect TV and start engine
3. refrigerator on/ automatic mode

Perhaps this would start it in 12v mode.

From the Dometic manual:

"4.7.2 Automatic operation

Sequence of priority:
1.) Solar (12V -)
2.) 230V ~
3.) 12V -
4.) Liquid gas

If sufficient mains voltage is available (more than 195 V), this power source is selected as prime option. If a solar system capable of powering the refrigerator is installed, the solar 12V supply takes priority.
The 12V operation is otherwise only effective while the engine is running.
According to the sequence of priority the elec- tronics selects GAS as energy source only, if both of the electrical energy source are not available."

Does the refrigerator only select an energy source on startup? Will it switch to a higher priority fuel source if it becomes available?

Also of interest from the manual:

"4.7.4 Refuelling while in AES mode operation
In order to prevent unintended switching to gas operation during refuelling, the electronic system starts gas operation of the refrigerator after the motor has been turned off for 15 minutes. During this period the appliance is ready for operation ("stand-by"). The tempera- ture level LEDs do not light then while all other indicators remain active."

Technology is great when it works as intended.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
NWRVR, have you tried the Polk Audio app for remote control of the audio volume? I pulled my batteries for the winter but did open the app on the iPhone and got the Info screen (see below).

Thanks Jeffmc306, I looked for an app about two years ago but did not find one. Glad to see this.
Steve
Old 02-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Jeff

Yes I leave the 12v disconnect switch on while towing. But I'm determined to try and get this refrigerator to run on automatic. With propane on and fridge set to automatic while towing, after driving a couple of hours and stopping (engine still running) I have checked the fridge and it is operating on propane.

Technology is great when it works as intended.

Dave S
Dave, I totally agree with your statement about technology!

There was a tread a while ago discussing issues with running on 12V. I believe no one had any luck getting the fridge to run on 12V when in Automatic mode.
Also, there’s a question if the 12V heating element is efficient enough to keep up on a hot day compared to propane. I’m keeping an eye on the new 12V compressor fridges which are getting better and have more interior space.

Let us know how your experiment goes.
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Thanks Jeffmc306, I looked for an app about two years ago but did not find one. Glad to see this.
Steve

In fact I did see this app. Unfortunately, my Polk is a model PA450UM and it does not work with this app.

If anyone has a better work around than streaming through the iPhone to control this unit without hard wiring, please let me know. Thanks, Steve
Old 02-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
I have no issues with either one.
Same here. Going on 2 yrs.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Myrtle Point , OR
3-way fridge comparison

Two things are getting in the way of our choice between the GT and International: the upholstery and the fridge.

The upholstery, I might change my mind on, once I get the chance to compare them in person. Our current RV has Ultra-leather and I like it, though ours is just two bench seats and driver's/passenger cab seats, so we don't find them slippery as some suggest. However, my opinion might change with the upholstered lounge in the AS. The Hitch upholstery sounds great, but I'm not especially fond of the color options while I LOVE the salsa Ultra-leather option in the International. That being said, I could always live with the GT choices, and recovering the cushions is certainly an option, though $$$.

However . . . . the fridge is a big problem! We have had both of these models - the 2-way in a prior 5th-wheel and the 3-way in our present Leisure Travel Van. Never had a problem with the 2-way; it cooled great, often on the middle temp setting, and had a much better organized interior, capable of storing more food than the other. The 3-way struggles to maintain a safe temp, and only on the highest setting. We find it especially hard to keep cool in warmer outside temps. Perhaps some of the cooling efficiency problem is due to the plastic shelving (which I detest) as opposed to the open wire shelves in the 2-way unit. We use a battery operated fan, which helps some, but the fridge just doesn't perform as well as the 2-way.

I have thought the issues we face were related to the installation, being in a small motor home as opposed to a larger trailer, but from reading these posts, it seems the GT installation has similar issues. I have also heard of the 3-way having problems with the door seals and latches icing up, as well as the door latch mechanisms breaking. At any rate, it baffles me why AS would use this model when the 2-way appears to be more efficient. Maybe the thought is that people want the 3-way function? I don't find it that necessary.

The upholstery dilemma is mere asthetics; I could live without Salsa Ultra-leather or have the cushions recovered. An operable fridge, however, is pretty essential. Has anyone asked if they can be swapped? If I could get the 2-way Dometic in the GT, there would be little question as to which model to choose.

Frustrated, to say the least
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote