Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > PanAmerica > PanAmerica - all model years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Friend's Comment

A friend of mine recently traded his 10 month old toy hauler in for the big moho and enclosed trailer behind it.

He told me that what he'd learned to hate about the toy hauler was that the smell of gasoline permeated the living quarters after a while - regardless of a supposedly air tight inner hatch door. Gasoline fumes do have a way of wafting themselves throughout any enclosed structure, so I for one won't be looking at ANY toy hauler. I do like the idea of having a big side door... if the door were hinged on the TOP, you could have a "hard canopy" and an integrated screen room that would be easy to put up and take down... of course you would need a ramp or steps to enjoy it.

Paula
Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Saweeet, Now the Harley can go too!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I think it's pretty cool. No reason to let tradition get in the way of new ideas, even if they've been done by others before.

The fumes problem could be simply overcome by having a solid bulkhead between the garage and the coach. No access at all. Then have decent vents in the rear area.

I think the new Safari Sports are a good idea for marketing, but I wouldn't write off the 34' hauler either. Airstreams are still small trailers compared to the other boxier brands. A 34' Airstream is tiny compared to a 34' 5er as far as room goes.

And maybe they'll finally put a real frame under one.

I wish them well.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #24
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
More Pics

Here are some more....couldn't get the gate closed pic. I did take a close look and the ramp slides under the bumper in a tray.

Again...more on my site at: THISOLDRV.COM | Photo Gallery, Airstream Motorhome Photos, GMC Motorhome Photos, Travco Motorhome Photos, Winnebago Motorhome Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	50111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	50112  

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	50113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	50114  

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Exactly Jim, I like it and it is cool...

So if any of the Airstream factory designers are reading this, IMHO, skip the door between the garage and the interior and make a solid, air-tight wall. 10 or 11 feet total interior length of the garage would be fine. Just make sure it will hold either: 1) a full dress Harley, or 2) two ATV's, or 3) a golf cart.

For the front section put a standard 23 ft interior with a front bedroom, panorama windows.

Then in the rear section, leave the big rear door as-is and add a standard entry door on the curb side. Then add generous amount of exterior venting/air flow into the rear. And if you really, really want to get me in line to order serial number 001 off the assembly line, add in two of the 2,000 watt propane powered generators permanently installed in the rear of the rear section and permanently exhausted to the outside and remoted from the front.

You could also add a built-in wine cooler up front, but then again I wouldn't want anyone to think I was going "over-the-top" with my dreaming...

regards, Dave :-)
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I want one!
Thanks for posting the photos!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey, a 34 ftr I'd actually like to own. It looks sweet. However, I'm with Joe -I'd like more a 25ft'r with a side hatch. More for bikes and stuff, non-motorized for me.

Really, I like the BC, but a longer one with a bathroom and room to sleep 4+ is what we'd need. Light would be a plus. Think BC meets Safari sport and that's along the idea.

AS needs some more progressive designers - heck, any design college in CA would work - to really think "outside the box." Look what they did with C. Deam - their product is unique.

The side hatch is a cool idea. Didn't Andy at Inland do one for CNN with a side hatch? Can't remember.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
I guess there's nothing wrong with testing the market. The big thing now is people wanting to take all of their toys on holiday.It brings up images of te 40Ft motor homes traveling down the highway towing a 30 enclosed trailer. I'm always wondering just what the hell could be in them.
Ya really want to know...........well.....I'll tell ya!

I see these giants unloading every day in one of the hi-end RV 'resorts' that I work in. They are double stack units with an internal elevator. Some carry 2 Mercedes....his and hers.......a couple of new Harleys or other very large V-8 motorcycles.......and of course.......the mandatory $20,000 golf cart dressed up to look like a Hummer, '64 Mustang, little red fire truck with full bar in the back.......just let your imagination run wild......these folks do and back it up with their expenditures!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I want one!
Thanks for posting the photos!
Make it with the CCD interior and I am thinking it is really a neat idea!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #30
_

. , .
i like the lack of graphics look on loooooooong trailers!

and notice the segment protectors are NOT of the normal classic design,

but rather the easier (cheaper) to make bambi style.

gee whiz lets hope for some newer interior styles and furnishing,

that can provide the durability of solid wood and corian but without the peeling heat taped trim...

metal, composites, great laminates, new wall ceiling treatments and so on...

it's time to get a/s further along in the 20th century (yea i know what year it is)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #31
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
They were quick to point out it was a prototype. When I was in there it was crawling with dealers checking it out and seemed to be well received. I for one think it's great to see AS trying new (old) concepts in today's market. The interior was modern but more natural wood than laminate. Kind of mix of CCD, DWR and something "new".
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Steven. Being a prototype I suspect they could produce this on a standard frame. Was there any mention of beefing up the frame if they went forward on this?

Your first pic in post 24 shows texture in the flooring. Is that carpet? Were there any shackle points built in?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi Steven. Being a prototype I suspect they could produce this on a standard frame. Was there any mention of beefing up the frame if they went forward on this?

Your first pic in post 24 shows texture in the flooring. Is that carpet? Were there any shackle points built in?
I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Given the nature of Airstream's design, they would have had to have added considerable reinforcement to the frame underneath in this area - if not redesign the frame entirely. Even then I can't imagine them being able to rate it very high in regards to load capacity. Given also that this is all happening rear of the axles, I can't imagine it's towing characteristics being all that hot with a bunch of heavy toys in it.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #34
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Great questions, but unforetunately I didn't ask about any of this. As a supplier (and not a dealer) I try to take a low key approach when touring coaches and don't want to waste a reps time with my personal inquiries.

The flooring in the back was a rubber style floor. In the coach it looks like a one piece vinyl.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I LIKE THE IDEA....but as many of you have speculated "it is a prototype". If and when production comes around I am sure??? Airstream understands the implications of added rear weight and hauling toys behind the rear axels. A few things I see ( if I am redundant forgive me) is it needs more boiler plate on the side walls and a more "mechanic like" floor, that aluminum would be trash in short time. It needs a fuel tank to gas you Harley/four wheeler etc. Tie downs etc. and how does that ramp store. Insulation between the garage and the cabin...gas fumes travel and is the major complaint of toyhauler guys. A wash station inside, this is a must. A place to hang you'r riding suits and helmets ie. floor to cieling closet. A much stronger frame that the present AS. If they design this with too light of a load capacity to minimize the frame modifications they are making a Big mistake. Toy hauler people puts stuff in the garage....LOTS of stuff. Good ventilation in the ceiling...gas vapors again. Gas vapors will permiate the WHOLE trailer unless properly contained...and you NEVER get rid of them. Its been said many times in here that mounting a bike rack or generator to the trail end frame of an AS is not advised due to frame strenght. Abviously then AS must be taking into consideration a stronger frame, people WILL put a couple thousands pounds in the GARAGE wheather they are supposed to or not. A bigger truck to tow this....ONE ton dually comes to mind. Andy of INLAND is gonna throw a fit ...ONE TON tow vehilce?? Ya,,,,I know towing..and its gonna need a GOOD TRUCK with that tail weight.

If I win the lottery or sell the house I will buy one...provided it can actually haul what I want to haul. I would love to haul a four wheeler in there. OR a MY retirement Harley. Again I like the idea very much....just get it right and don't give me a bunch of restrictions of what I can't put in there,,,within reason that is. And I am affraid my REASON might be different that AS reason????
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
add an air-lift tag axle ?

One way to handle a heavy-weight load (900 lb Harley type) would be with an air-lift tag axle.

Could maybe get one with about 12 inch wheels to fit under there without having to change the exterior and still have enough room to lift the axle when not loaded.

regards, Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Lift Tag Axle.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	50154  
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Did they have any of these at the show....

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #38
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
They had a ton of toy haulers....and yes, some were class A's with built in garages. If there was a theme for this year's industry show it was.....toy haulers.

My personal fav was a new 45' Class A Deisel Pusher from Gulfstream called the Constellation. It featured two roadside slides and one full length curbside slide. Needless to say the interior was HUGE. It also featured a 1/2 bath mid coach and a full rear bath with a walk in closet behind the bedroom/media room. that's right I said MEDIA ROOM. The bed was a motorized king sized murphy bed. The bedroom had two media chairs in a slide across from the bed. When the bed was in the "up" position you could view the 50" plasma screen...instant media room. You also gained a 10 x 10 open room. Quite nice and very modern interior.

It was only $350,000
Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
All I can say is...Drool!!

Oh wow, that 34 is sweet. I am optimistic that the classic lineup will slowly drift to a more "contempary" interior as well. That interior is trick. Airstream is smart test marketing this segment, they already have what nobody else has, a great design.

Without any cargo I bet it would surprise you what it really wieghs and that would allow more capacity for cargo.

Sign me up!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #40
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
They had a ton of toy haulers....and yes, some were class A's with built in garages. If there was a theme for this year's industry show it was.....toy haulers.

My personal fav was a new 45' Class A Deisel Pusher from Gulfstream called the Constellation. It featured two roadside slides and one full length curbside slide. Needless to say the interior was HUGE. It also featured a 1/2 bath mid coach and a full rear bath with a walk in closet behind the bedroom/media room. that's right I said MEDIA ROOM. The bed was a motorized king sized murphy bed. The bedroom had two media chairs in a slide across from the bed. When the bed was in the "up" position you could view the 50" plasma screen...instant media room. You also gained a 10 x 10 open room. Quite nice and very modern interior.

It was only $350,000
Here is a link to the press release re: this Class A:
Gulf Stream Coach announced that the G-Force and Zero Gravity have joined forces with the EnduraMax toy hauler division.

Here is a photo of one of the media rooms:
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote