Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Toy Hauler

I don't know if they are as popular in your area but toy haulers are big in California.

Why not an Airstream toy Hauler? Think about it. An airstream with a clam shell rear door. I think it woud sell what about you?

I know too much time on my hands! ha ha
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I havent saw any, they are popular all over, my friend has one ,they are nice for bikes, with 2 bikes they sway a lot , he must fill the fresh water tank to haul the bikes, the tank is in the front,
Old 04-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkutz
I don't know if they are as popular in your area but toy haulers are big in California.
You kidding? That's all there is!

I'm a little worried about what it means for the future of camping in the peaceful wilderness.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Isn't Basecamp kind of a toy hauler?
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Do it like a C-5

Man forget the clamshell door, put a heavier frame under it and then separate the rear end from the constant section and have the whole end swing like a C-5 Galaxy's nose. Now THAT would be cool! Polish that baby up and put some USAF stickers on it, yeah neato torpedo.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
spartan toy hauler

there is a guy who is converting his 50's spartanette into a toy hauler. his plan looked pretty solid. he was applying the trailer top to a tripple axle trailer and had hinged the back and reinforced the rear to use as a ramp.

of course an aisrtream might be a bit harder as it's got curves on all sides where the spartanette is flat on the sides....

I looked for a decent 47 spartan manor that was in decent shape and affordable. those two never intersected.

paul
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
saw one on ebay a couple months ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4612147640

unclear if this was factory or custom work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toyhauler_airstream.JPG
Views:	2967
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	20375  
packlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100
there is a guy who is converting his 50's spartanette into a toy hauler. his plan looked pretty solid. he was applying the trailer top to a tripple axle trailer and had hinged the back and reinforced the rear to use as a ramp.

of course an aisrtream might be a bit harder as it's got curves on all sides where the spartanette is flat on the sides....

I looked for a decent 47 spartan manor that was in decent shape and affordable. those two never intersected.

paul
Paul,

That would be Barry on the Lincoln Forums. You can view the thread at: http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb...t=5434&start=0

Be careful, it runs 24 pages with lots of pictures. The thread shows the entire process and it is almost complete. Barry is going to carry his Mark II. There are pictures at: http://members.cardomain.com/barry2952 also.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
YES! thats it. really impressive. I can't wait to see the finished product.

truly a different scale of toy than the airstream that was on ebay.

I often attend vintage car events related to our vintage BMWs and vintage porsches. and I have to chose between the airstream/camping near the event, or drive the old car great distances and stay in a crummy motel. so far I've been attending the vintage car events w/o my car.

I recall that when I lived in CA I did see a guy who was driving a truck, towing his SOB and had his boat being towed by the SOB. sort of a hwy 1 train. I don't think I'll attempt it.

paul
fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegos100
YES! thats it. really impressive. I can't wait to see the finished product.

truly a different scale of toy than the airstream that was on ebay.

I often attend vintage car events related to our vintage BMWs and vintage porsches. and I have to chose between the airstream/camping near the event, or drive the old car great distances and stay in a crummy motel. so far I've been attending the vintage car events w/o my car.

I recall that when I lived in CA I did see a guy who was driving a truck, towing his SOB and had his boat being towed by the SOB. sort of a hwy 1 train. I don't think I'll attempt it.

paul
Triple towing is not particularly legal in a lot of states!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

I know there a lot of toy haulers out there and many people seem to need them, but I don't sleep in my garage. Can't imagine that the gas/oil/exhaust fumes magically disappear when you turn the garage into a house. I doubt there are enough Airstream owners who would want to drive their dirt bikes or 4-wheelers into their rear bedrooms.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Not For Extended Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
I know there a lot of toy haulers out there and many people seem to need them, but I don't sleep in my garage. Can't imagine that the gas/oil/exhaust fumes magically disappear when you turn the garage into a house. I doubt there are enough Airstream owners who would want to drive their dirt bikes or 4-wheelers into their rear bedrooms.
I wanted to make the same comment Darol did, hard to sleep in if you smell gas all night. I have seen two of my friends get rid of their "TOY BOXES". Both have young children that race bikes all over the south. Both said they slept in tents after the first few uses of their trailers. Couldn't stand the smell, affraid to light off appliances, wifes said "NO WAY, I'm not sleeping in that fuel tank. One had a partition between the sleeping area and storage the other was the type where the furniture slid forward for storage. Both types had the same problem. Once that smell is in there they are tough to sell. They are both back to flatbed trailers and tents.

There is one option I have seen lately. Flatbed trailer and pop-up camper combo that I seriously considered for use with my 4wheeler. The 2-axel trailer had a popup on the rear 60% of the trailer which left the front 5 feet with side ramp for bikes, and 4wheelerer. There was integrated black water and fresh water tanks with propane storage. Keeps the bike outside. Under $8K.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
The basecamp is a toy hauler. It opens in the back to accept up to a 4 wheeler. You take out the table and park your whatever between the seats in the dinette. Cool huh?
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
25K for gas fumes!?

Went into a 'Toy Hauler' at a CW "store" attached to a dealer.....!

They had a TH that was really nice - had a 2nd story of 'kids' size beds over the TH section and while the kids thought "OH, COOL!" all I could think was 'FUMES'!!!!!!!!

CANNOT understand the thinking that goes into a 25K purchase when that seems "as obvious as the wart on my nose" (kidding there!), but seriously!?!

Seems that the MH with trailer is a MUCH better choice for that sort of transport....IMO!

BTW - At the same 'dealership' I saw a '48 MH that had EXACTLY room for 2 to sleep. This was a quad slide and there was room for 2! Heard talk here about CCD's being window dressing and princess palaces, all show and no go - 48 feet of MH and room for 2!?!?!?!?!!

The prices are out of this world and the utility is nearly zip!?!

Anyway, keep AirStreamin!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I had a Featherlite gooseneck TH with an enclosed garage area and fumes were not a problem. BTW, the quality of this unit was equal to an Airstream and priced accordingly!

I saw a vintage AS that was modified to haul hot rods by designing a hydraulic system that lifted about 4' of the rear section with pull out ramps.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Axel,

I work on a lot of those type MoHo's. They are usually populated by a retired couple and they don't do sleep-overs any more . It's like living in a house (and an expensive one at that) on wheels. It is hardly 'camping'!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Glen Coombe has the funeral coach motorhome, which could be a great toy hauler ( he uses it for golf gear showroom). It has the ramp in the back andoors on both rear sides. Who says you can't take 'em with you when you go? At least with his rig you could try
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
So the Toy Haulers are out in California? I wondered who bought them and where they go since those were the parks I wanted to avoid. Nothing could be worse than to leave the city and then have to camp next to a 4-wheeler or dirt bike revving the engines.
Attached is our toy hauler. It will carry two bikes; a load of firewood; tables and chairs; and makes no noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	20488  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Went into a 'Toy Hauler' at a CW "store" attached to a dealer.....!

They had a TH that was really nice - had a 2nd story of 'kids' size beds over the TH section and while the kids thought "OH, COOL!" all I could think was 'FUMES'!!!!!!!!

CANNOT understand the thinking that goes into a 25K purchase when that seems "as obvious as the wart on my nose" (kidding there!), but seriously!?!

Seems that the MH with trailer is a MUCH better choice for that sort of transport....IMO!

BTW - At the same 'dealership' I saw a '48 MH that had EXACTLY room for 2 to sleep. This was a quad slide and there was room for 2! Heard talk here about CCD's being window dressing and princess palaces, all show and no go - 48 feet of MH and room for 2!?!?!?!?!!

The prices are out of this world and the utility is nearly zip!?!

Anyway, keep AirStreamin!

Axel
Axel,

You know the saying about high end motorhomes - "cocktails for six, dinner for four, sleeps two"

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Wailuku , Hawaii
I'm with Chaplain Kent.