Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Remember, if one fires a gun inside the AS or any other confined space, they will be "reading lips" for along time.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I just carry a S&W .357 snub nose. I do keep a trigger lock but....don't let the combo fool you and there are numerous speed loaders.
Too many bad guys today
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I carry a 75lb short hair, and he has gas. An assailant would be quickly overcome.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
I Too many bad guys today
Yeah... That's what the media & the NRA tells us...

Check out history. We're just better conditioned (media'ized), today. Wonder who profits from it?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 12-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

My chihuahua is quite vicious, always travels with me! Plus I also carry bear mace, air horn, stun gun. A strong tac light, .and a couple of good "friends"!

All that aside, I am especially careful to where I drive and park. If it does not feel right, I listen to the voice of reason, and move on quickly. If I need to move on for safety, even in the middle of the night in my p.j.s, all I need to do is walk up front and turn the key, and off I go....to a safer place!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
You don't have to reload a Kukri.....just saying....and no one would ever challenge your assertion that you acted in self defense as most likely you will have just incapacitated the assailant; not painted the interior of your AS with him, (or her).
Do be aware that knife laws and precedents vary as much from state to state as do gun laws. As an Ohio resident, I am aware that Ohio prohibits the carrying of a knife "as a weapon". So if you need to knife somebody it would be best to do it with a Swiss Army knife that can credibly be claimed to be a "tool" as opposed to a "weapon".

To quote one source,

http://www.knifeup.com/ohio-knife-laws/

Quote:
The Ohio Supreme Court said in State v. Anderson, that to convict a defendant of carrying a concealed deadly weapon, the state must prove that the instrument is capable of inflicting death and that it is either designed or adapted for use as a weapon or that it is being carried as a weapon. Some knives that are very likely to be found to deadly weapons, and therefore illegal to conceal carry include:

Dirks, daggers, or other stabbing knives

Switchblades

Balisong, or butterfly knives

Gravity knives

Stilettos
So the law might not look favorably upon your kukri.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
We solved our protection issues plus got a handy tow vehicle to boot... mileage kinda sucks though...
Do you run the Michelins with TPMS? It's probably the trailer.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #28
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
This is starting to sound like a video game... shoot the bad guys, sanitize the reality of what really happens...

I was a corpsman in the Navy (we patched up Marines). This is a media fueled paranoia aimed at profiting an industry. The reality of the real thing is really bad. How often are RV'ers victims of crime that they have to arm themselves for "protection"? This isn't a "Mad Max" series.

Sorry... as with the other threads, the end result is trying to normalize arming oneself to battle. What? Who?

Anyone ever attacked on the forums from what you've read? Enough to feel the need to arm ourselves to fight off the hordes?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #29
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
This is starting to sound like a video game... shoot the bad guys, sanitize the reality of what really happens...

I was a corpsman in the Navy (we patched up Marines). This is a media fueled paranoia aimed at profiting an industry. The reality of the real thing is really bad. How often are RV'ers victims of crime that they have to arm themselves for "protection"? This isn't a "Mad Max" series.

Sorry... as with the other threads, the end result is trying to normalize arming oneself to battle. What? Who?

Anyone ever attacked on the forums from what you've read? Enough to feel the need to arm ourselves to fight off the hordes?
Unfortunately, it happens.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...dy-143746.html
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
These folks were active WBCCI members and had a lot Club friends. Many here knew them personally.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Better to have & not need, than need & not have. I've never fired any gun I've owned in self defense & never want to....but I will if it's me or him (her).
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #32

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
And what about Nayome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Remember, if one fires a gun inside the AS or any other confined space, they will be "reading lips" for along time.
In addition, if at night be blinded.

What about innocents outside of the trailer? Except frangibles, any rounds that miss will carry for a while. One of the first thing you must know before firing a weapon is what is in the line of fire, both in front of and behind your intended target.

I personally carry two sticks, pepper spray and a wife who's screams have had neighbors calling the cops.

Thanks,

Matti
Old 12-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #33

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Boondocking at Frontsight

A little off the topic but if you want to carry you should know a little about what you are doing.

Has anybody boondocked at FrontSight in Pahrump? My sisiter and I are taking a 4 day handgun class there in a couple of weeks and never have boondocked there? Any suggestions? What are the procedures?

This will be my first boondocking experience with an AS, any suggestions there also? Coming in from Fairfield CA are is there a good spot along the way were we can overnight at? Don't want to drive 570 miles in one day.

We have taken a number of classes there but have always stayed in a hotel.

Thank you,

Matti
Old 12-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Former firearms instructor, as such unless one has pretty extensive arms training in the weapon of choice and consistent and regular practice with said weapon I would recommend against carrying any type of deadly weapon. Plus, if one decides to carry, one should be familiar with the state laws within which one intends to travel and the laws concerning self protection, as each state is different.

If one is inside the Airstream there are multiple avenues of self protection not involving a weapon.

Good Luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 12-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWinters View Post
We re debating purchasing a tactical shotgun to keep in our camper for protection. I am curious to how many campers travel with a gun or have other security methods.
A poll of airstream owners is likely to be inaccurate. I doubt most people who carry will respond, and many who don't will also not respond. You're more likely to start a debate and a thread that will be closed in about 6 pages.

Make your own decision based on where you tow and camp, and don't tell anyone.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #36
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Yup, once that I know of. That was a horrible scenario. Doubtful being armed would have helped them from what I read from the local newspaper...
Old 12-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
Search Gary and Linda Haas murder while in RV. As late as this month, violent criminal attempted to car jack motor home at western Oklahoma truck stop shooting driver. He was later killed by troopers in shootout. It can happen in this day and time unfortunately. Not advocating one way or the other. Personal choice.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Guns

Personal protection IS a personal choice. If you know HOW to shoot, WHEN to shoot, and you are able to take a human life when you have no alternative then you probably should carry a firearm. I carry more than one. I'm in my 39th year of working the street as a career LEO (retiring soon) and I hate to see bad things happen to good people. I come into contact with armed citizens regularly and I'm okay with that.

If you do carry a firearm, be responsible with it. You have a greater expectation of privacy in your trailer than you do in your TV (if you know what I mean). If you don't like guns, remember the Second Amendment gives everyone the right to defend themselves.

FWIW, I am armed 24/7/365. I have stopped to assist fellow officers several times over the years when I was off-duty. I don't do this for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
Old 12-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
I... I don't do this for the money.

That didn't come out right. I meant to write I don't do this ONLY for the money. I'm glad to get paid for what I do.

WBCCI #7180
Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Odds are, that you will wish you didn't have a firearm than did. It's hard to keep track of the changing laws of firearms. Some states not honoring other states permits, and vise versa. Before posting what you are carrying, remember other entities are reading these posts as well. Big Brother is alive and well.
Closed Thread