Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Guns, Pistols, RV'ing and ?? Felony

What do you independent thinkers think about a Texan with a handgun permit being thrown in jail while RV'ing out of state just because he/she packed a piece in the toolbox and it was illegal in the new state? Has anyone ever had any problems with this? I'm rather torn between the whole matter?
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
What do you independent thinkers think about a Texan with a handgun permit being thrown in jail while RV'ing out of state just because he/she packed a piece in the toolbox and it was illegal in the new state? Has anyone ever had any problems with this? I'm rather torn between the whole matter?
I'm sorry to hear about your jail dilemma but you should be aware that gun regulations vary from state to state. I don't own a gun but I would venture some advice for the future for you to be cognizant of what the state gun regulations were in the state(s) you plan on traveling to in advance of traveling across state lines.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
I am very fond of my weapons, and being from New Orleans I have become even more so lately. My Christmas Present was a combat shotgun; the folding stock works very nicely in the house, trailer, or boat. I do feel that you have an obligation to know the laws of the state you are in and to obey them. I am not sure a toolbox is such a great place to keep a gun anyway. BTW if head a permit he should have been even more aware that he would have to follow the laws of the state he was in. I would bet that there is more to the story than just a weapon in a tool box, I bet attitude got him in trouble also.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think if you do a search there was a HUGE discussion on guns and travelling a while back. Lots of info there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Hypothetical story

Actually, this is not a true story. But having a gun while traveling with bears, javelinas, and terrorists out there seems to be my constitutional rights. I actually had 15 javelinas come up to my telescope at 12 pm one night and they were looking for my dogs (they are very territorial). I do own 2 books on gunlaws in the USA. And I don't actually store my guns in the toolbox. Thx for replies.
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Isn't it a state law that every Texan must own and carry a firearm?

I always take my pistol when we go camping, but you definitely need to be aware of the state laws of the states you are traveling to and thru. That being said, nobody will know you're packing heat unless you advertise it!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hand guns are the problem. Long guns usually are not. If you do carry a hand gun in your vehicle. Do not keep it where you can readily get to it or keep the ammo locked in the trunk, trailer or some other hard to reach area. Under no circumstances try to carry a pistol/handgun out of the country. You will be in big trouble.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States

I hope we can get Airstream25 to weigh in on this topic. He is much more well informed than I and travels more heavily armed than I do as well...

Meanwhile, I will suggest that all gun owners should keep a copy of Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas. As Yukionna stated, the firearms laws vary from state to state. They should not vary, but they do. Technically, we should all be covered by the Second Amendment, but we are not.

In a nutshell, your itinerary should govern what firearms you take along. Woe be unto the Airstream owner whose travels take him into New York with a pistol in his tool box. On the other hand, I believe you Texans are more than welcome to bring your firearms to New Mexico and Arizona; though you may not conceal them on your person without a permit, and a Texas concealed carry permit is not good in New Mexico. If you get stopped in NM, just let the State Policeman know you have a firearm before you start fishing around for your registration and pull your pistol out. Things could escalate precipitously from that point.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Concealed Carry in Texas

I am in Texas. I have a Concealed Carry License. I carry a gun. You are trained and educated on which States honor our plan when you complete an approved course. It is a shame to have to protect yourself, and others, but that is what it has come to. All States tangent to Texas accept our lisence. Mexico does not..........don't want to insult their delicate sensibilities.

BTW, a friend was called to assist an acquaintance broken down in the downtown Dallas area @ 3:00A.M...........as a last moment thought he put his pistol in his toolbox. While changing a blown radiator hose on the friends car they were accosted by armed thugs...........the resulting confrontation was something along the lines of the O.K. Corral. Good Guys 4, Bad Guys 0.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
I actually had 15 javelinas come up to my telescope at 12 pm one night and they were looking for my dogs (they are very territorial).
15 javelinas + guns = One Helluva Texas Bar-B-Que

Yum Yum!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As a gun owner, I can tell you that each state has different rules as you may already know. Personally, there aren't a whole lot of states like Texas where you can carry and/or conceal (unless you are in law enforcement).

I do know that if you plan to go to Canada, you cannot bring you gun....AT ALL, so don't bring it cause they'll sieze it or deny you entry into Canada....maybe even haul you off to jail.

I've found that most any other state with basic laws will not allow a loaded gun to be within reach, except when using the gun at a range, etc while away from home. In your RV, you can in fact in most states have the gun loaded as you would in your own home. If you were to use the gun for self defense, you'd need to make sure whatever you did was within the law if it ever came to that.

When we travel, without the RV and I bring my gun(s), I place the guns in the back and the ammo and clips in the trunk or the other way around, so long as the two are not accessible without taking extra steps to get them together. That has been the normal accepted transport of firearms without any carry/conceal permits or permissions. I am sure some states may even balk at that, so you'd have to look at each state you plan on traveling through. However all the states I've traveled through this was acceptable as long as you are a registered gun owner with ID from your state of residence.

Personally, I feel that if one were thrown in jail for this type of offense, I'd be torn, even as an avid gun owner. If the state has not carry/conceal or you transport the weapon illegally, you break the law, and when you break the law, you pay the price for not doing your homework. Do I think jail is a fair price? In most cases no.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
packing.org

Try this site:
http://www.packing.org

At the top of the page, hit 'state ccdw info'

Then find the RV Carry Map

It will give you state by state information on transporting weapons.

SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Concealed Carry in Texas; Reciprocity With NM?

Melody Ranch,
I need to double check with Airstream25, but when I took the NM concealed carry licensing course last year, NM did not have reciprocity with TX. I hope this has changed since I took the course and that you are correct. Please confirm before you carry concealed on your person in NM.

Any traveler in NM may carry a loaded firearm concealed in the passenger compartment of their vehicle for personal protection. The same is true in AZ. In Colorado a loaded handgun must be in "plain view." Rifles and shotguns must also be in plain view in Colorado, but may not have a round in the chamber.

Here in New Mexico, I draw the limit at carrying crew-served weapons. Because of their weight, they really increase fuel consumption. Besides I can neither train my wife to be an A-gunner, nor does she demonstrate the required attention to discipline.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Packin'

[quote=Silvertwinkie]As a gun owner, I can tell you that each state has different rules as you may already know. Personally, there aren't a whole lot of states like Texas where you can carry and/or conceal (unless you are in law enforcement).

Silvertwinkie,

Just to set the record straight there are presently 37 states that issue concealed carry license to their citizens and two states (Alaska and Vermont) that have no restrictions.

http://www.moccw.org/map.html

Ed
Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Besides I can neither train my wife to be an A-gunner, nor does she demonstrate the required attention to discipline.

My first wife was an excellent shot. However, my beautiful bride of 25 + years can accomplish more with her charm and diplomacy than a heavily armed battalion of Marines.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Any traveler in NM may carry a loaded firearm concealed in the passenger compartment of their vehicle for personal protection. The same is true in AZ. In Colorado a loaded handgun must be in "plain view." Rifles and shotguns must also be in plain view in Colorado, but may not have a round in the chamber.
Actually this is NOT true for AZ. If you have a firearm and it is in plain site (not in a glove box) nothing is required. You can pack a hand gun on your hip if you want. If the firearm is concealed you must have a permit.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
If that were a situation, I agree with the outcome. Having a firearm in a tool box is criminal. Worse if the weapon was loaded and the tool box unlocked. Other people (kids) that are not trained in the use of it coud have gotten it with a far worse outcome than jail time.

Negligent handling of a firearm is a crime. My opinion only.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dear Action,
Not sure what part of my statement you think is NOT true.

In Arizona, you may may carry a holstered, loaded, unconcealed firearm on your person. Agree?

"Carrying a loaded handgun in your glove is legal without a permit as such carry is not considered concealed..." Has this statute been changed?

If so, I sincerely appreciate the update. I travel frequently across the border to Arizona and may have been operating under a statute that has been superceded. This thread is tacit proof that all states have different laws, and all laws are being constantly revising; usually towards stricter gun control.

We all want to be in strict compliance with the spirit and intent of the law, and at all times firearms safety is paramount and in my book supercedes that which at times may be technically permissible under the law.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Just say NO!

I just had to chime in on this thread. The bottom line in a traffic stop is to volunteer no information. Do not display in plain sight (unless lawful in you state) any gun, or other item that could be constituted to be illegal or suspicious. To do so, ie volunteering information to wit, can constitute "probable cause" for a search, then seizure, then likely your arrest.
If you are asked by a law enforcement officer if he/they could search your vehicle your answer should always be a polite NO! You may decline without much fuss and be on your way (with a ticket or warning) for whatever the stop was made.
More folks find themselves on the inside looking out as a result of allowing improper search of their private property than you can imagine. Those folks you see by the side of the interstate with the three squad cars and the dogs and their belongings on the shoulder could have avoided the entire nightmare by saying NO!
Without probable cause nobody may search your vehicle without your permission. If a law enforcement officer attempts to search without your permission you should ask him to stop until his supervisor is summoned and you have a moment to call your attorney.
The same advise stands for any arrest. For whatever reason do not offer any information. If you are given your rights (Miranda) exersize them. Do not speak with anyone until you have an attorney present.
All that said, if you are polite, show a modicum of respect to the officer who stopped you, you should be on your way in short order.
Beware of State Troupers early in the morning with little to to.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
carrying a gun in your RV or TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
If you do carry a hand gun in your vehicle. Do not keep it where you can readily get to it or keep the ammo locked in the trunk, trailer or some other hard to reach area.
It is fun to have someone mention carrying a gun because it gets folks spinning excitedly in circles and making all sorts of stupid statements.

The best course of action is to get the facts then make your own decisions.

SilverRanger had the best advice;
---
Try this site:
http://www.packing.org
At the top of the page, hit 'state ccdw info'
Then find the RV Carry Map
It will give you state by state information on transporting weapons.

---
Folks should realize that there are some bad people around.

If you should decide to not own a gun or keep it unloaded and locked in some inaccessable place then you should remember your decision while you are getting robbed/raped/murdered.

Thinking people should know that the large majority of the states do provide legal means to keep a gun where it is useful.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote