Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I Think I've Got a Good One

Just home from the shake-down cruise....which I was anticipating with some degree of anxiety after reading of some new-owner complaints like leaking shower stalls, malfunctioning appliances, inaccurate system panels, and wall/ceiling/window leaks.

Showered every day - did not see any leaks.

Put the refrigerator, freezer, and microwave to the test. All worked extremely well. I particularly watched the fridge temperature - was well within the safe food-storage range. Freezer froze ice cubes quickly. Did not get a chance to fire oven or range - left ignition gun at home, but will test that out now. Since everything else worked so well, I am confident I will have no problems with either.

As far as I could tell, the systems monitor was right on. When my grey-water tank was nearing capacity, it went from green to orange. I dumped it, and it went back to green.
Plumbing and toilet - all worked well. Lots of glorious hot water after a cold day's hike.

Furnace - kept me cozy when I tested it, although I mostly used a portable electric heater to save on propane.

Electrical - lots of bright lights.

LEAKS - this was a big concern. Boy, was it ever put to the test. Was high in the mountains - frequent downpours with wind. Last night it rained so had that the racket on the roof woke me up. This morning I inspected every seam on the walls and roof - dry as a bone. Whew!

I loved how the trailer handled. Went up and down mountains, over some construction, and the water glass beside my bed didn't move an inch.
Amazing~!

The only glitch is a malfunctiong tail light. It's flickering - I think it's just loose.

All in all, I am extremely happy with my trailer. I sincerely hope all new owners in future end up with such an uneventful first-time out.

Even found an unexpected surprise which was nice. There is a light by the black/grey water outlet pipe that I didn't even know was there. I must have mistakingly turned it on; wondered what that light was under the trailer when I got home. It's nice to know that I won't have to fiddle with the hoses in the dark in the future.

Can hardly wait to do it again!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Box Elder , South Dakota
Love your "Life's a short runway - use it all" my thoughts exactly

https://kayjulia.wordpress.com
Kayjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Box Elder , South Dakota
Oh! On your new trailer isn't it nice when things meet your expectations? And that light by the dump valves isn't that nice and thoughtful ....

https://kayjulia.wordpress.com
Kayjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Even found an unexpected surprise which was nice. There is a light by the black/grey water outlet pipe that I didn't even know was there. I must have mistakingly turned it on; wondered what that light was under the trailer when I got home. It's nice to know that I won't have to fiddle with the hoses in the dark in the future.

I have the same light on my '85 but cannot locate a switch to turn it on. Thought it might be the flood lite switch but no luck. Changed bulbs too to make sure it was not burned out. What controls your light?
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTurnConn View Post

I have the same light on my '85 but cannot locate a switch to turn it on. Thought it might be the flood lite switch but no luck. Changed bulbs too to make sure it was not burned out. What controls your light?
On mine, it's a rubber covered button switch just above the light itself.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ditto.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'll have to look tomorrow, looked in that area when I changed the bulb but did not see a rubber button switch. Will look more closely.
I have a ceiling switch in the back of the unit, in front of the fantastic fan, and I cannot find anything that it operates. Any ideas?
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTurnConn View Post
I'll have to look tomorrow, looked in that area when I changed the bulb but did not see a rubber button switch. Will look more closely.
I have a ceiling switch in the back of the unit, in front of the fantastic fan, and I cannot find anything that it operates. Any ideas?
Also look carefully in any compartments located near the dump valves and light itself.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
We did our shakedown 2 weeks ago and were pleased to find the systems in our unit are very fine indeed. We bought her because we liked the floor plan and she was pristine/like new. Obviously well maintained and it's nice to know that beauty is not just skin deep.

Black water sensor was a little touchy...did not go to green after dumping. Called the dealer and he said they sometimes show a false reading if they get wet. Sure enough - after a couple days of dry weather it's reading correctly. Still, they offered to replace the sensor and we may just do that.

Plan on checking for the light by the dump valve. That would be nice.

BTW had plenty of rain on the drive to the campground. Poured so hard lots of folks were pulling over as it was difficult to see the road ahead. Some white-knuckle moments but we made it OK. And no leaks either!

Happy Traveling...

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We've had some little issues with our Airstream in its first season on the road but nothing to get too upset about.

The power jack fuse blew the first time we used it (a useful lesson in how to use the hand crank!) but it's not blown again so I guess it was just a dud fuse.

The water heater cut-out device did its job when a spider built its nest in the mixing pipe; not the fault of Jackson Center (probably not, anyway) and was replaced by the dealer whilst we were camping not too far away.

Our dinette table is a bit wonky but that's more a design issue and one that's easily solved.

One cupboard catch failed but was replaced immediately by the dealer as we happened to be passing when we realised the problem.

We've also had two internal rivets pop, again no big deal and something that will be sorted when returned to the dealer for hibernation next month.

There were two very slight leaks, and I mean slight, after our first trip but I've not been able to replicate them since so I'm assuming all is well there, too, although I will have the dealer check it out as well.

Unlike our cars, it hasn't been recalled (more than once!) for important safety checks.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers View Post
We did our shakedown 2 weeks ago and were pleased to find the systems in our unit are very fine indeed. We bought her because we liked the floor plan and she was pristine/like new. Obviously well maintained and it's nice to know that beauty is not just skin deep.

Black water sensor was a little touchy...did not go to green after dumping. Called the dealer and he said they sometimes show a false reading if they get wet. Sure enough - after a couple days of dry weather it's reading correctly. Still, they offered to replace the sensor and we may just do that.

Plan on checking for the light by the dump valve. That would be nice.

BTW had plenty of rain on the drive to the campground. Poured so hard lots of folks were pulling over as it was difficult to see the road ahead. Some white-knuckle moments but we made it OK. And no leaks either!

Happy Traveling...
Glad your shakedown went well.

I filled my black-water tank today via the sewage flush outlet just to check the systems control; it went orange, then green after dumping, so I would have to say the systems control board is also A-OK. Whew!

Hope you find that light. Let there be light~!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjulia View Post
Love your "Life's a short runway - use it all" my thoughts exactly
Thank-you, Kayjulia.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Mr.UKToad, I'm usually bustin' out those rivets on the jeans - too much cake and pastry, I guess.

If the trailer pops a few rivets, I won't feel so bad. lol!