Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2004, 07:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
53FC, Brett was trying to tell you that Andy DID answer the PM question already, sometime last week. The thread is out there. You just didn't see it. I'd give you the link but I don't recall where it was.

Anyway, nobody should kid themselves. Policy or not, there was no promise to anyone that this was a "secure" site or that data would be protected, etc. This is a public forum, run by volunteers ... I'd keep that in mind.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:12 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok...found that forum statsitcs no longer works...then today, found that the main page takes a fairly long time to completely draw.....also had some strange thing happen. Replied to a post, went back to the main page and I got part old, part new looking main page where there was a message that Andy was going to take down the server from 1-6pm. Hit refresh and it went away. I'm thinking that it was a cache thing though.

On other thing that I noticed is that when clicking on a thread that has multiple pages, it used to more times than not, take me automatically to the last page of the thread....now it always starts as the first.

Ok, that's what I've found so far.

I agree that once folks get accustomed to the new one, the old one will be a faint memory. Resistance is futile!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:27 AM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
While I respect you and, what your status as a Super Moderator represents.. My questions were directed to Andy and, it deserves to be answered in-depth only by Andy, as I feel only he has these details.
Please check this thread for Andy's response to the issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=private
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
rluhr
I understand what Brett was trying to achieve and, I appreciate that.
What I wanted to do was (in hindsight) get the answers out there for a few troubled minds about email, etc..I fully understand, speaking for myself, how some of these features work and, could be used in the future by any of the arms of the judical system..
I agree with you..This is, for the most part, a free system.
I feel one should have that freedom of mind, when using it as the forum was intended`

For all of that, we have Andy to thank`

Hey~! It's Spring here in NH..how about VT?
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Brett
thanks..I got it..
Btw, I installed that spell checker you posted a link to and, my wife says "Thank God"..lol
Andy sez:
Quote:
There is not feature available throught the software to read other members PMs. Theoretically I have access to the database and could run my own queries, but I am not going to do that. I am a firm believer in privacy have never looked at any avtive member's PMs.
Even tho his ans didn't address the issue of emails..KWIM?
I'll let others judge for themselves if his answer is suffice for them.
I'm gonna go back to enjoying and, dreaming of my Airstream..lol
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:06 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Generally I like it, but I do miss the rivets around the logo and the blue background. I appreciate having the "Logout" button at the top of the page.

Smily expressed the opinion that use of the forum would degrade over time, and that only 11% of users are actually interactive. In 20+ years of using everything from Bitnet bulletin boards to these forums, that decline in usage is a common pattern. It seems to me that people get on and are excited, but finally run out of substantive things to say. Or someone highjacks a board or thread and people get irritated and drop out. Another aspect is that on strong forums like this where there is a significant knowledge base established, even new users have learned to search for the info they need and don't necessarily feel they have to chat about it.

Last, in the spirit of new Spring clothes, I've changed my user name from my initials (EAP) to my loyalty to U Michigan (maznblu). So, I'm not truly a new member. I've been here since May 2002, but was just shy of earning my third rivet.

Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Yes, I too miss my newly awarded and decorative 4 (four) rivets! Now I'm just a registered user. BTW, is there a way to change that to say something else? Anyway, this server is like the ones my son frequents for the paintball forums...new stuff, higher tech, etc...
Guess i'll be able to show him around there better now that we both are on the 'same page'. Alot of hard work into this though, and for what it's worth, as a businessman myself, kudos on snagging those paying advertising clients.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Unhappy Bring Back the Rivets

I definitely miss the rivets. Can they be brought back? I was proud of my newly awarded four rivets and now they are gone.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 AM   #29
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Hosting
I am curious to hear what everyone thinks about the new forum upgarde. It will take some getting used to!

I am still working on getting all the features restored after upgrading the forum software. Please post your comments, bugs, suggestions, etc. here and I'll try to address them as fast as possible.

Andy
The "new look" looks good but, where are the various forums located?

Earlier this morning, I was able to click on the tab at the top The Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forums and that would take me there but, now it seems to just refresh the Home Page.

Shouldn't there be a link to get to the various forums or am I over looking it?
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 AM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Check out the upper left...if you click on the airstreamforums.com it will take you there...so will the navigation bar near right below it.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #31
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Check out the upper left...if you click on the airstreamforums.com it will take you there...so will the navigation bar near right below it.

Eric
I do that and it just up dates the home page with the list of latest posts. I can't find get to the actual forums.

I don't see a navigation bar next to it.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #32
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Try clicking on the new posts button in the bar at the top. Once you have the list then the forums table will appear.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 03-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #33
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Try clicking on the new posts button in the bar at the top. Once you have the list then the forums table will appear.
OK, that works. But, why can't Forums be added to the list across the top where User CP, Register, FAQ, Members List, Calendar, etc. are listed? It would make getting there a lot easier.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Andy - have you slept yet?

I miss the photos, left column, e-bay link, Karma, rivets and wish that the page was wider...

I love the enhanced text options, better search capbalities and hot links. The drop down menues when you hover over a users name are a nice space saver.

I am undecided about being able to view what others are currently browsing.....

and I assume that the vast wasteland of empty screen is waiting for the installation of other features...?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #35
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I am undecided about being able to view what others are currently browsing.....
Huh? Where's that feature?

...I guess I shouldn't spend too much time on the article about Paris Hilton.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 AM   #36
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
click on quick links tab

The drop down menu has a "who's on line" option. You can watch others surfing habits - interesting.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Bug Reports

1. The page titles need to be fixed

The window title of the home page is "Home" and that will be the name of the bookmark created with "Add to Favorites." It should read AirstreamForums - Home

The window title of the forums vie is "Forums" and that will be the name of the bookmark created with "Add to Favorites" It should read AirstreamForums - Forums

Within a forum, the window title is Forums - Airstream Community Forums. It should read AirstreamForums - Forums - Airstream Community Forums

2. On every page, half of the window vertically is taken up by the
a. the ASF tab at the top,
b. the strip with a link to "Home" on the home page (which is redundant
since you're already on the home page) or a link to "Forums" on the
Forum page (again, redundant) and the "Welcome Username."
c. the menu
d. a big white space between the menu and the useful stuff on the page

3. Every page continues to load, and load, and load, and load...
Hitting the browser stop button doesn't stop it. It never stops.

4. There is no link to the Forums page on the home page

5. There is no link to the Home page on any page except the Home page

At the bottom of the home page, just left of the words "Community
Membership Continues To Soar," there is a red X icon for a picture that
fails to load. It links to "http://www.airforums.com/images/on.gif"

On the home page, I would personally prefer to see the "calendar" at the bottom of the left hand strip, and on the right side, the Photos at the top with active users below that.

On the Reply to Thread page, to the right of the Title block, there is a red X icon for a picture that fails to load. It links to "http://www.airforums.com/forum/clear.gif"

That's what I'm seeing so far.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:06 AM   #38
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Great, I like it!

But . . .

How come there are automatic avatars for vintage Bambis, vintage Sovereigns, vintage Overlanders, BUT NO VINTAGE TRADEWIND!

Help pay the freight, visit the sponsors sites.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 AM   #39
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Moe,

There is a home button on the bottom of the page. I think it should be at the top too along with just a forum button like we had before. This allows a one click link to the forum tree without multiple page loads.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 03-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My only complaint is the last 25 posts list shows the post originator, not the most recent poster. I used that a lot - like I could usually glance at the list and see the last post I had participated in because my name was still on it, and all the posts above that would be new. Or I like to see what certain people are saying even if I wasn't reading that thread previously, so if I see they posted last I'll go ahead and check out the thread.

If this Quick Reply feature does what I think it's going to do, I'm gonna have to say I like it! Lets see...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote