Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2022, 03:06 PM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I never did change the trim inserts or could get them shiny again. When we sold the trailer, the new owner never noticed. If someone never knew they were once shiny, does it matter?

Anyway, if I were to renew the inserts I'd certainly look for an aftermarket part as it may well be better quality and lower price than the Airstream part. I like the idea of colors (I always liked the blue Airstream used to use) or black would be a nice contrast. Of course, black almost always looks dirty.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:08 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Molding trim replacement.

Well after reading comments on here, I decided to track down two of the companies that supplied the replacement trim that was documented in posts. Well both companies have ceased making the stuff.
Spent a few hours yesterday looking for my own replacement trim. Have found two manufacturers who are sending me samples.
I am rather keen on replacing the chrome with a black but unable to find one with a bit of a shine. One coming is slightly embossed and does have shine but I really wanted the smooth finish.
Not easy to find similar dimensions of matching trim. One is 5/8 at 1/8 thick and the other 1 inch at 1/4 thick.
The peeling on what I have is atrocious and I had no intentions of replacing with the Airstream stuff, it is daylight robbery what they want for that rubbish. So now looking at around $260 to replace it all.
If it works I will provide info……
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:57 PM   #63

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8137.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	413796
I’ll look and see if I can find out where I ordered it.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:14 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Hello Sir,
Finding that info find would be kind of you. As I said I have two sets of samples on their way but after seeing your black trim and the other that is now discontinued, I really like that finish as a replacement for the Airstream rubbish.
Cheers for now,
James.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:19 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Anyone used this replacement trim ?

I keep hitting brick walls in finding replacement trim but this might work. Went to an auto parts store and took a look at the Cowles line of trim. Came home and looked up the company and found 24 ft lengths of a European trim that might work. I am going for gloss black this time in replacement of the silver factory installed stuff. Width is not an issue but thickness is, especially with the bottom trim 1 inch stuff as it is 1/4 inch thick. Virtually all auto suppliers only have 1/8 in thickness, I would have to build that up underneath.
Anyhow has anybody used the Cowles stuff on their airstream ??????
Old 04-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #66

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
https://www.brandsport.com/ptrm-11100-60-01.html

I replaced top and bottom with gloss black purchased here. Very happy with product and results
Old 04-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Thank you, I have contacted them for two samples of what I believe you went with. Good man, cheers James.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:55 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
https://www.brandsport.com/ptrm-11100-60-01.html

I replaced top and bottom with gloss black purchased here. Very happy with product and results
What is the width / part number for the top rail trim?

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:49 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Boston , Ma
This is perfect! Need to get Aluminum rail to hold belt rub rail as my 05 only came w lower. Anyone have source?

Quote:
Just finished with this project. We decided to go with black to match the pinstripes and lettering. The 1" bottom used part#11100-60 , The belt is part#37130-60 from brandsport.com . prices were higher than I had seen posted here but items were in stock and free shipping. Old trim removed easily and really didn't leave much mess. Mineral spirits and scotch bright pad made short work of what was left. For a 27FB I ordered 80' of each and had 10'+ left over. Better than not enough!
Attachment 258097Attachment 258098Attachment 258099Attachment 258100

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
TeddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lewes , Delaware
Did you buy their Utility Cutter to cut the trim strip? If no, what did you use?
bella_intl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:46 PM   #71

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_intl View Post
Did you buy their Utility Cutter to cut the trim strip? If no, what did you use?

Sprinkler pipe cutter
Old 09-21-2022, 10:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_intl View Post
Craftsman Handi-Cut. Used on e-bay, new at Amazon. $30-$50.
Cuts very clean and precise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDA6B1C6-BC45-420C-82A3-013F7EEE7670.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	422856  
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:38 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
https://www.vinylgraphics.net/produc...tility-cutter/

By the way, VinylGraphics which sells the rolls of one inch and 1/2 inch solid color trim, sells a cutter also (Ronan cutter). That brand is avail on Amazon at a better price. It’s a copy of the Craftsman and uses the same blades and cutting bar.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Craftsman has never been a great tool maker and has been cheapened more lately I understand. Probably better than Stanley or Black and Decker, but not for a lot of use. There are plenty of razor knives for probably less than $10 which should work fine for cutting this material.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:40 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Craftsman has never been a great tool maker and has been cheapened more lately I understand. Probably better than Stanley or Black and Decker, but not for a lot of use. There are plenty of razor knives for probably less than $10 which should work fine for cutting this material.
Well, I’ve replaced mine with the above graphics. You have your hands full with the roll of trim, pulling the protective film from the backside 3M tape and pressing the new molding into the trim grove. When you get to a cutting point, best not to screw up trying to cut with a razor blade. Use one of the above cutters. Your end cut will be precise, clean and square.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #76
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Craftsman has never been a great tool maker and has been cheapened more lately I understand. Probably better than Stanley or Black and Decker ...
Lots of "common lore" is filled with erroneous knowledge.

Craftsman is a "brand name" for a line of tools, lawn and garden equipment, and work wear. Originally it was a house brand established by Sears with a variety of subcontractors actually producing the breadth of 'proprietary' products. The brand name is now owned entirely by Stanley Black & Decker. The forged Craftsman tools have been built domestically (Fort Mill, SC) in Stanley factories for well over 40 years. FYI, companies owned by Stanley (hdqtrs in Conn) includes DeWalt, Bostitch, Porter-Cable, MacTools, Irwin, Lennox, among others).

The motorized Craftsman tools (drills, etc) were manufactured by Emerson Tools for years until the mid-90s when Sears sold off the remaining Craftsman naming rights for power tools to Stanley World. Emerson, in Murfreesboro TN, then became the manufacturer of the Rigid and Milwaukee power tools for Techtronic Industries (TTI, hdqrs in Hong Kong) which also includes RYOBI.

Who builds what where is an ever-changing scenario these days.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Not sure whether I am the possessor of “erroneous knowledge”, but the world of manufacturing sure gets confused.

Sears, once a good and reliable retailer, was taken over a generation or so ago by someone intent on squeezing money out and he is undoubtedly very rich while Sears is disappearing. He also had K-Mart and are any K-Mart’s left?

At one time Craftsman had life time warranties and that alone was good enough for many professionals to buy the products and wear them out. The number of independent brands has shrunken over the last few decades. DeWalt, Black&Decker/Stanley’s premium brand makes very good tools and when I am unsure of what brand to buy for a specific tool, DeWalt is my default brand. Stanley also makes a good Thermos bottle, but I don’t have a lot of trust in other products. I think this conglomerate purposely makes tools of ascending or descending quality (depending on your point of view). Black & Decker is definitely for someone who occasionally uses one of their tools. I expect Stanley is a bit above that. Porter Cable and Bostitch were professional quality, but unsure since they were bought out. Milwaukee was also professional quality, also don’t know now since I have never thought they were as good as other brands; same for Rigid, Home Depot’s apparent house brand. Rigid however makes the best jointer for the money for the homeowner. Irwin I only know from clamps and small tools and they were adequate.

Brands that I grew up with are long gone or very different. Sixty years ago GM made the best production cars, not now. AT&T is not the same company it was. Companies come and go, some are looted by investment houses, some maintain a good reputation and some don’t. Consolidation occurs in many industries, creating monopolies or near monopolies. Then quality declines and the executives increase their incomes and eventually customers go elsewhere. I’m glad I have all the tools I need and they pretty much all work.

35 years ago I bought a second hand Craftsman table saw cheap. The fence was awful so I replaced it with a much better one. The saw was ok and 22 years ago I sold it to a friend. I bought a Bosch table saw, far, far better than the then 20 year old Craftsman. But a Bosch finishing sander had a bad dust system, however Bosch dishwashers are far and above the best and the cheapest Bosch’s are nearly as good as the expensive ones. Bosch bought Thermador more than a decade ago and so far as I see the very expensive Thermador products are about the same as the Bosch ones, but for much more money.

All this means when buying anything, you have to be a very informed consumer and researching any big ticket item takes time, but is usually worth it. Also be assured someone will disagree with you.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:55 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Craftsman Tools: Department 28

My first job was at Sears Catalog / Retail, Kansas City, Missouri in 1967. I was 17 years old and in stocking Department 28... Auto Parts and Tools.

My Mom took a job there at the Surplus Store in Kansas City and Independence, Missouri. Everyone in Independence, knew my Mom anywhere in town. Sears Surplus as a great place for anything... if you were patient. My Mom's favorite job. She worked the Cash Register.

Bought Craftsman Rachets and Sockets, metric and US. If I needed some weird tool... if Sears had it... I bought it. 1956 VW to 1965 Bronco. late 1960's Corvettes... etc... and three Airstreams. If I did not need the socket, ratchet or the battery hand drill... it had to been glued together.

I still have these tools. They work on Airstreams. They work on Ford pickups. I did buy impact black sockets for lug nuts and parts that needed to be torqued.

Never split a Craftsman socket. Did have a small tool that had a philips and a straight edge for tight spaces that the straight edge broke. Took it in about five years ago to a Lowes in Henderson, Nevada and they swapped a new one for mine.

If I DO NOT HAVE TO USE THEM... great. The 'suit case' of everything you need... we carry on every trip. The tool used the most with the Airstream... a Battery Hand Drill with a Philips of various lengths.... Not a Craftsman... a Hitachi with charger and an extra battery.

Lowes has the Lath Screws and substitute for Pop Rivets when needed and never POP. The hand drill assembled wood shelving for years, great for hanging sheetrock. As dependable as my Craftsman Tools.

Restored Wurlitzer Jukeboxes, Mills slot machines and anything that needed...'fixing.

I picked up other tools over the years at garage sales... but working at Sears Department 28... was an education. Ninth Floor. The US Post Office purchased the building, years ago, and the huge building may have been torn down. Save the screws and bolts... ? The floors may have been all walnut or another hard wood...

$1.15 per hour. Waaaa Hoooo... McDonald's cheesburger 15 cents. Regular gasoline 19 to 21 cents in a 1956 VW... with the small back window.

The company may have changed, but my original purchases have served me well when needed. From rebuilding car engines to remodeling rental property.

When I pull out a tool... Memories take me back to the good ole days.

No Trim or Adhesives... as all of my Airstreams did not need replacement trim... but maybe Craftsman has the tool for the job? I will check Lowes first... sort of.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lowe’s house brand has been Kobalt, but I think they are replacing it with Craftsman. Kobalt makes mid range stuff of moderate quality. I bought a wrench set maybe ten years ago and it is adequate, but not premium. I recently bought a Kobalt battery hedge trimmer for very limited use, so it should last my lifetime which is at that point I don’t buy green bananas.

And speaking of companies that change, I am using an iPad and they are awful for writing. Apple software which used to be excellent, now is pretty bad but the company keeps making lots of money on style. I only buy Apple products because I am used to the systems, but if I were new to computers I would avoid Apple.q

Maybe this thread is done since we are no longer discussing trim. One more thing—cut the trim before you install it and you can use a decent quality razor knife. Of course, you need a good quality measuring device.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Nice

That looks better than any I have seen. I used a blue which has stayed attached but when it weathers, I will replace it with black. My bottom strip is black now and it will look much like your's.

Quote:
Just finished with this project. We decided to go with black to match the pinstripes and lettering. The 1" bottom used part#11100-60 , The belt is part#37130-60 from brandsport.com . prices were higher than I had seen posted here but items were in stock and free shipping. Old trim removed easily and really didn't leave much mess. Mineral spirits and scotch bright pad made short work of what was left. For a 27FB I ordered 80' of each and had 10'+ left over. Better than not enough!
Attachment 258097Attachment 258098Attachment 258099Attachment 258100

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"