Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Exterior paint peeling!

So I was washing the MH at a power wand washer place and saw some paint just fly off! The paint is like a US Navy grey, which caused people to think that it was actually aluminum. It used to look good. Now there is an area of about 3' x 3' that actaully looks great! It's very polished aluminum! No wonder it flaked off. I don't think the metal was prepared correctly.
So now what to do? Get rid of the whole paint job on my 28 footer, or tryt to match the paint and just fix it? Suggestions? I think that this will continue on other areas of the MH,as I can see some bubbling already. Hmmm, maybe I should buy some SS
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Get some SS and go for it, the end caps probably won't peel. If the aluminum looks polished it wasn't prepped at all. It should have been sanded and then etching primer used, regular primer won't get enough bite on aluminum.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
OK, what's an end cap? If the paint comes off as easily as it did this time, I'll have no problem getting it all metal again.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote