Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It's following me home

We picked up our 2008 25' Safari SE yesterday. So far, everything has gone smoothly except my early anxiety about pulling a trailer—something I've never really done much, and nothing this big.

The walk through at Windish RV (westside of Denver metro) and our remaining questions plus de-winterizing took 5+ hours, but no one complained about gazillions of questions. We went to a nearby campground and five friends came to see it. Two brought Champagne! Even better, one brought chocolate chip cookies. All were impressed with all the silver. This thing is really beautiful. We're still in shock we did this. We were exhausted but it was good to have our first Airstream party. Somehow we got everything put away. Making the bed is a challenge—no real space on one side.

I'm getting used to go around corners wide and trying not to get transfixed by looking in the mirrors constantly and hit something in front of me.

A 10 lb. bag of instructions, warranties, etc., sits on the sofa waiting for someone to read it. The AV system is incomprehensible, but the TV gets some really awful broadcast TV—Never watch the old networks and now can understand why their ratings are down.

The Equalizer hitch appears to work well. The groaning and occassional screeching is lessening as the paint wears off. If I didn't know the noise is normal from reading threads here, I'd be worried, but we just find the noise funny (it's good to hear a machine make so much noise and it's ok—noises like that usually mean something is about to cost lots of money). The saleman and I managed to totally screw up the Prodigy settings in seconds. This morning I read the brochure, set it according to the instructions—6 v. and booster at middle seting for this TV and TT.

We haven't yet found anything wrong with the trailer. We have trouble remember all the stuff we're supposed to know, but have been checking things out as thoroughly as possible.

We started our trip home to the western slope about midday. First we stopped at the nearest Home Depot and found a Microwave that fit exactly between the stove and sink (they had a silver one, but it was too big). Vail Pass, the Eisenhower Tunner (like a pass), Mount Vernon Canyon on I 70 into the mountains (7% up) and Floyd hill (7% down) just east of Idaho Springs, and the '07 Tundra, 5.7 L., performed beautifully. Transmission and engine temps stayed perfect, as if I wasn't towing anything. In tow mode, the engine, naturally, revs higher and we're getting used to the different shifting points. Down those long, long grades (2 from around 11,000 feet) I never felt the trailer was pushing me and all braking and downshifting went very smoothly. I ask myself, "why is this so easy? Am I missing something?"

Everytime I look in the rear view mirror, I see these wide, tinted windows following me home. It looks like something from a sci fi movie—mystery alien spaceship on my tail.

It doesn't tow like it's not even there—but towing has gone very well. No sway, even when an 18-wheeler passes. It's more like I have a tractor beam on the Safari.

I will read up on the Equalizer soon. I think not enough weight has been transferred to the TV front axle. I'll have to find somewhere level and empty of cars to check how level the trailer, truck and hitch are. They look pretty good, but there are few flat places west of Denver and I forgot my 2' level. The front end feels a little light and the Tundra does not have a lot of road feel anyway, but the steering remains responsive. I did check the drop of the Tundra body over the axles after both TV and trailer was hitched up and the change seemed within reason, but not perfect. The dealer did not increase the air pressure in the TV tires. Toyota says on 33 R, 30 F, but no info on towing. I believe there should be higher pressure—but am not sure how much. Max. pressure is 44 lbs.

Nonetheless, I've been able to go as fast as 75 on I 70 (not for long; I thought it unwise, but so easy to creep up to 75), but generally 55-65, and ease off on curves and downhill. Since I spend so much attention on the 4 outside mirrors, I can't concentrate on what's in front quite as much as I'm used to. Barb's been excellent telling me about what's up ahead being a Grade A navigator. It seems best for one of us to gain some experience at towing before the second one starts out.

A generally easy tow so far and we've made it to a campground west of Aspen. Tomorrow 100 miles south to home and eventually take pictures of it.

With all the problems I've read about, and my inexperience at towing a travel trailer, it's good to report everything is going well. For us, there seems to be lots of storage and we hope to keep well below GVWR. The bed is taking some getting used to with the narrow space at the head, the curved wall, miniscule space between the bed and front wall (made for someone with two peg legs—don't believe what you see on the floor plan).

Weather's been good too. Very warm in Denver. There should be some more snow, but the weather is changing here. I didn't want to try to take this home with snow to wait out.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Congratulations Gene!
I've never towed anything before and like you am amazed at how easy it is! It is VERY easy to forget you're pulling 25-27' of trailer. I've been driving more and more using my cruise control set at 60.
Can't wait to see pics!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
_

. , .
congrats on your new trailer gene

how exciting it is, to 'own' this wonderful new iconic silver palace.

it is wild to look in the mirrors and see this thing SO CLOSE.

you've done a great job of pre planning but nothing can prepare us for the JOY of that maiden voyage..

stay safe and keep the wow going!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congrats on the new rig and happy traveling home with it! Your words show your excitment, but that's OK...we all are right there with ya, and there'd be something wrong it you weren't excited! Have a great trip, enjoy yourselves, and your new baby!

Don't forget the pictures! We're anxious to see it!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Congratulations Gene, Hope you can post some pictures soon. Glad the towing went smooth, my daughter lived in Fraser, and then Golden, I am familiar with those passes and grades. We towed a trailer out there to her wedding in Fraser in 2000.

I know what you mean when you say you are still in shock that you did this. I feel the same way, we get our new AS, the Silver Lining, in about 5 - 6 weeks.

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations and safe travels. We need to see pictures.

Get those TV tires up to the max 44 psi. With that max pressure, they are most likely Load Range C, and you need to be a max psi due to the load weight you are putting on the truck. If your front end feels light, put some more of the tongue weight up to the front. Check with a tape measure or yard stick to make sure.

Best of luck with your 25FB. Make the bed is a knack that you will learn.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Hey Gene, We'll be experiencing the same thing tomorrow as we pick up our new baby and tow for the first time. Good luck and can't wait to see pics
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No damn hooks

We knew it beforehand, so we got some suction cup hooks. They won't stick to the melamine on the inside of the wardrobes and that stuff on the bathroom walls. They do stick to aluminum and the wood (or simulated wood) partitions. We forgot hangers too. The CEO of Thor Industries should be locked in an Airstream with 3 wet towels, a bunch of coats and other clothing, etc., until he orders a design change. Some of the room partitions look thick enough to hold screws to put up some hooks, though some may be fiberboard underneath. The little hooks for keys are a nice touch though.

Brian, what do you mean: "put some more of the tongue weight up to the front"? More weight in the front of the trailer, or adjust the Equalizer (when I learn how), or what? The truck dropped 2 1/8" at the rear axle and 1/2" at the front. The dealer lot wasn't absolutely flat, but what is in Colorado and does that matter? The Tundra still handles just like it did beforehand and it may just be the nature of the Tundra to feel light at the front end. Toyota designs vehicles to feel comfy even when they are tough. That means little road feel, but they always go where I point them.

I'll add air to the Tundra tires now that I'm home and can use my compressor. Kinda hard to find air on the road anymore. We did get through a gas station without hitting anything. I'll watch those Marathons on the trailer after reading about problems with some of them. Dealer put 58-60 lbs. in them—had to check them fast as it was raining this morning (I forgot where my raincoat was), so I'm not sure I got it right.

I made the bed after being up about 18+ hours plus the party, so I wasn't in the best of shape to be moving the mattress around. The sheets were for a thinner mattress and didn't fit well making it a more interesting experience. Once our heads hit the pillow, zzzzzzz. We'll get some sheets that fit tomorrow.

I'm getting the hang of corners and windy roads. Now I know why farmers make wide turns—they're used to towing trailers full of hay or cows. We spent about an hour backing the trailer next to the garage door and leveling it. We were testing ourselves to get it perfect figuring we'll have to do so some day, somewhere. Another learning experience. After Barb directing me, we are still married and didn't scream at each other or question each other's intelligence. We'll see how we survive backing into a FS campground spot with 6 cars waiting for us to get out of the way.

In a couple of days we we'll take a couple of days and go to Utah. Maybe we'll try boondocking and see if we run out of water and amps. Maybe we can even figure out the radio/CD/DVD thing. I pushed "off" and instead of turning off, a constant stream of weird messages keep lighting up the area at night—a $1,000 nightlight!

Someday pictures will be taken and I might even figure out how to post them.

Thanks for all the good wishes. It sure looks good out there and it's even dirty now—broken in.

RIstream, I'll be looking to see how your first days go.

Gene
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Congratulations on your new trailer. We took delivery of ours last December,
and the excitement still hasn't worn off.

We have an '07 Tundra, and it has really performed well. We've been camping in the Sierra's over the summer, and it's amazing how much power it has pulling grades, as well as being able to stop quickly.

I run with the truck tires at max pressure (44psi), and I have six washers installed on the equalizer hitch head. I tend to experiment with the settings, and I have found that the steering is more positive with weight shifted forward quite a bit.

As for towing, I remember being pretty nervous at first, but it becomes almost automatic after awhile. It does make driving more interesting.

Terry
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Terry, where do those washers go exactly? I surmise that will shift weight forward to the front axle of the TV. Increasing the tire pressure will make a difference, so that's first. I'll be tinkering with everything over the next weeks. Driving got semi-automatic pretty fast, but, yes, it's interesting.

We were out buying things for it today. I find it strange it doesn't come with a jack—they don't cost that much. Sheets that fit, toilet brush, hooks, spatula, etc., etc.—it's like furnishing a new house and I'm afraid to think how much it's adding up to.

Since we live in the boonies, I can't see it at night. I could place spotlights around it so I can stare at it, but my friends would think I am crazier than I am. We'll try to remember the camera when we go to Moab in a few days.

Gene
Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Gene: Congrats on the new AS. We've pulled the same route west of Denver this summer in route to Breckenridge. We make the annual trip in summer to see family there. Enjoy your RV.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Gene,
I enjoyed your account of bringing a new Airstream home. Very well written. Many people will find it helpful and inspiring. Glad to hear you went to a park instead of parking it in the driveway the first night.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I boosted the tire pressure in my Tundra yesterday to 44 lbs. and the front end didn't feel light today. The difference in the height of the hood (lower) was noticeable to both of us. The ride didn't feel different—no harder—and the steeering was more positive.

Before left home, I tried backing into a part of my extensive driveway at a 90˚ angle to see if I could do it. I did! —only backing and forward about 5 times to straighten out the truck. Another victory. I was so confident, when we got to the campground in Moab, Utah, I backed up the trailer to straighten it on the pad just for the hell of it (and to impress that old guy—probably my age—watching me from the next pad).

At our third stop at a campground, we got everything set up (water, electric, cable TV, leveling, etc., and the truck unhitched (never did that before) in 25 minutes. We've got to get that down to 20.

And one reason we got the Safari was so we wouldn't have to eat in restaurants anymore. Too much salt and sugar and Barb cooks better than most restaurants can claim. So, what did we do?—we walked into town for a pizza. Well, the walk was good for us.

The Tundra got 11.6 mpg on the first fillup.

Some of road along the Colorado R. coming to Moab (Utah 128) is above the river, no guardrail and seems to have lanes not much more than 9' at times. No heavy trucks are allowed (30,000 lbs. plus). Another new experience. I'm glad an RV wasn't coming the other way. The Tundra/Safari combination takes the curves as well as the Tundra does alone—and this '07 handles far better than any pickup I've driven. Very little lean on curves, and maybe less so with the Safari.

This has been so easy—of course, I have to pay attention more—that I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and the first hasn't fallen yet. I figured out how to make the TV work on cable and turned off the nightlight/radio. Tomorrow I'll make it play music and maybe even a DVD.

If things keep going so well, I might just leave for Alaska soon. Labrador in 2010 (that's when the new coast road should be finished) is hard to wait for.

Gene
Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #14
_

. , .
hooking up and hooks

good report gene...

don't worry so much about speed with docking yet...

concentrate on NOT missing any steps (chains, jacks, chocks, 7pin, breakaway and so on)...

i've found using a checklist helps for the first several 100 times...

on the hooks issue...

i've been using this stuff for over 18 months, in the shower, galley, on walls and glass and metal and even wood...

Family of Products

nothing so hung has come loose...

yet.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Gene,
Sounds like you are as happy with your Tundra as I am of mine. I have an 07 DC 4x4 SR5 with the 5.7 motor. I traded up from an 03 Tundra with the 4.7 motor which was OK, but the 5.7 is a real pleasure to drive.

Hitching and unhitching will become a bit faster, but don't forget to double check everything. Mistakes can be costly.

I found that if someone comes by to chat while I am hitching up, my chances of messing up are increased. When this happens I do a much better job of double checking. Checklists are great. I got one from the PO of my trailer and modified it to the order that I do things.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Gene,
Sounds like you are as happy with your Tundra as I am of mine. I have an 07 DC 4x4 SR5 with the 5.7 motor. I traded up from an 03 Tundra with the 4.7 motor which was OK, but the 5.7 is a real pleasure to drive.

Hitching and unhitching will become a bit faster, but don't forget to double check everything. Mistakes can be costly.

I found that if someone comes by to chat while I am hitching up, my chances of messing up are increased. When this happens I do a much better job of double checking. Checklists are great. I got one from the PO of my trailer and modified it to the order that I do things.
I agree, Richard, on the distraction of someone coming to chat while I'm hitching up and the potential for missing something critical. 2'air's suggestion of a check list is a good one and my wife still uses a checklist when the duty falls to her. It just eliminates anything being forgotten or overlooked somehow.

It's now become a mandatory part of our routine that if someone comes up and starts chatting while I'm doing the hook up I either stop to chat and then focus back on the hitch up, or if we are in a time crunch Donna has the responsibility of doing a double check. I'm also no longer shy about asking if I can catch up to the chat'ter as soon as I'm done hooking up and no one has been offended by that. They know how critical having it done right is.

As for unhitching - I was using it as wind down time from the driving so would take my time and rather than it being a chore turned it into part of the relaxation process. Now that I'm not the driver I find it REALLY helps me to unwind from the driving and take my mind off the urge to get down on my knees and kiss the ground . Not that Donna is a bad driver, but she does not drive the way I like to think I drive.

Barry
Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Hi Gene,

Sorry not to reply sooner about the washers on the Equalizer. We've been camping in Yosemite for the last 3 days.

The washers are on a 1/2" post between the hitch shank and the hitch head.
You can see them by looking down on the hitch between the ball and the bumper. The number of washers installed determines the angle of the hitch head and the downward angle of the bars. The Equalizer help guy said you can put as many washers on the post as will fit. Be sure to use hardend washers, 1/2".

Really enjoyed your posts about picking up your new trailer.

Terry
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks guys for the tips and compliments. Hitching is about 100 times as important as unhitching, so I will have tons of confusion tomorrow morning. I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night reviewing the steps. If someone wants to talk to me, I will try to ignore him 'til he goes away. We'll do it together so we can learn together and check each other out. We need so many checklists, we'll need a checklist of checklists. The trailer came with some campground's checklist, but it was incomplete. For ex., turn off the antenna booster—if its on, the cable channels hardly work; when we're boondocking, uses the batteries.

2air, Command hooks duly noted. Barb gets those suction hooks to stay on the wall. But when I do it, they fall down. I don't know how she does it. She does hooks, I lift the hitch head (not an entirely good trade off).

Terry, I'll figure out the washer thing as soon as I can be on a level surface and check the levels of the truck and trailer. I brought a 2' level along to use when I got the chance.

Today we discovered:
They really mean it about turning off all the stove burners when lighting the oven pilot light. I can't imagine the gas pressure is so low it makes a difference. As soon as the pilot stays on, then the burners can be (re)lit.
I think the galley fan isn't working right—the button for the motor to raise the cover doesn't seem to work right, but all the controls are so confusing, maybe it's me.
The galley fan has a smoke cover and the bedroom one is clear. Maybe I can switch them. The bedroom should have the dark one (better yet, black) for sleeping late, or, for sleeping at all in Alaska in June.
My mind being full, I never tried to master the radio.
Hiking 2 1/2 miles at Arches NP was a lot harder than it was 20 years ago, the last time we were there. Then we hiked well over twice as much. We checked out the campground: pretty rocks, short, almost entirely back-in spaces. Shortage of TV space. Seemed to be designed for truck campers. Probably typical of public lands, but we never noticed before.

When I get in bed I study the roof rivets. I wonder about the "whys" of the rivet patterns, why some aluminum panels are small and others large? I can't imagine why someone would buy a Safari with cloth on the walls—I NEED all that aluminum and all the rivets. Suddenly I'm into rivets. What's happening to me?

Gene
Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Suddenly I'm into rivets. What's happening to me?
Gene, it's called "Aluminitis", we all get it.
I've truly enjoyed your experiences as you've related them. Thanks for sharing, you made me remember past experiences a few times, and smile.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I think the galley fan isn't working right—the button for the motor to raise the cover doesn't seem to work right,
the stove exhaust vent has retention tabs OUTSIDE. these must be released for the fan to push the vent open and move air...

and the tabs need to be closed again during travel or the vent will flap and break.

being able to see the shiny interior skin and rivet stubble (nubs) is a new a/s feature, only possible the last few years...

so you've contracted a new variation of a.d.d. (aluminum distraction delirium)

enjoy!

2air'