RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Jack down

Hi, I haven't driven with the jack down yet, but I did notice, while on the freeway in Phoenix, I left my steps down. [noticed them in my mirror.]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #82
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I got the empty tank filled a week ago. I don't like freezing. As for the steps, that's Barb's job, so I'm waiting to see them in the mirror. Rain and snow is moving into Utah and western Colorado Friday afternoon, so we have to get home fast. Looks like it'll start raining lightly the last few hours of the trip. Usually the weather comes in much later than the weather "forecasters" think in Grand Junction, so we'll probably be ok.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I'm bad. I dragged the jack across the back lawn. Made a heck of a mess. twice - Oops.

Barry
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #84
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
twice - Oops. Barry
a slow learner u r!

i think a/s has come up with a 'garden plow' accessory for those that really wanna drag the jack post usefully.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #85
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Farm tool available

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
a slow learner u r!

i think a/s has come up with a 'garden plow' accessory for those that really wanna drag the jack post usefully.

cheers
2air'

I'll point that out to Barb. I'm not an idiot, I'm a farmer.

Gene
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #86
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Photos at last

I'm trying to make photos appear. 1st one is at Fisher Tower (on the left in the distance) along the Colorado R. on the way to Moab, Utah. #2, in our driveway. That is not an outhouse in the background, simply a shed. Plumbing is usually inside in western Colorado. #3, at Mojave National Preserve, Cal.

Gene
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fisher Tower.pdf (311.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf Safari.pdf (603.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Great photos--and what a nice rig you have! Love the combo. Sterling taste!
And it sounds like your trip has been a terrific--and enlightening--success!
We really enjoy all the detailed travel threads, especially when they include "learning experiences!"
Thanks
Janet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	50130  
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #88
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Close to home

Weather is moving into western Colorado, but we should make it. Tomorrow's 175 miles and it isn't supposed to snow until evening. We checked on road conditions with a neighbor and found out which steep hill isn't icy.

Barb drove about half of today's 320 miles—she was going so fast down a long 6% grade on I 70 in Utah I was getting nervous (scared) so I think her self confidence is high (she did slow down). I think I'll suggest she try Grand Junction tomorrow and the very crazy Sam's Club parking lot.

This morning I was looking at the front window in the rear view mirror of the Safari and comparing it to the tonneau cover on the truck. The curb side was about 3/4" lower than the street side. I pulled over and checked the tires (again). Not that. Checked the hitch. Looked fine. Gave up, drove away. Finally it came to me: the trailer is 2 feet wider than the truck. Thus, the left wheels are higher on the crown of the road and the right wheels are lower than the truck. Therefore, the trailer rides at a different angle than the truck.

I notice the bathroom heat vent isn't very warm. I suspect the duct goes through the water compartment first and that cools the air so much there's not much warmth left.

And the shower: when we turn off the water on the shower head, it doesn't turn all the way off. That's not the problem. Then the water gets very, very hot as if the mixing valve isn't working right, but I can't see how that would happen. Turn it back on and it's too hot for a short time, then returns to the right temp. I'd love to know if there's a way to fix that. We have noticed the water heater is extremely well insulated. Turn it off before we got to bed and it's still warm in the morning.

I did manage to attach pictures, but I can't understand how others get photos on the post instead of as attachments. Instructions on the forum require some translation.

We really like stopping somewhere and having lunch. No waiting for our order, no tipping, low prices, good food every time and the bathroom is 10 feet away. We often ate breakfast and dinner (actually lunch, dinner came at a restaurant at lunch time) in our motel room and brought a lot of food, a giant cooler, and always searched for motels with microwaves and refrigerators. A bed that's always comfortable instead of sometimes. We found ourselves altering our shower schedule to early evening instead of morning since it was just easier that way. I would like a long shower though.

We're trying to figure out if we want to bring the Safari to NYC next spring. My 50th HS reunion is in Queens and I'm wondering if I would be insane to bring this through the Lincoln Tunnel, down 42nd St, then to the Queen-Midtown Tunnel and so on. Maybe the GW Bridge is better, or the Verrezano Bridge. I'm sure a campground on Long Island would be pretty far out. We have found we are more comfortable driving longer distances, necessary for our usual cross country and cross border travels.

Oh, I discovered we are illegal in Nevada. AAA in their Campgrounds books has a section on trailer laws. Maximum width in Nevada is 8' and it seems that all the medium and longer Airstreams are 8'6". I checked some other states and they have some confusing width restriction over 8'. I wonder how many other trailers are more than 8'? Do they ever enforce this?

Gene
Old 11-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I think it is the SE models that are 8'6", the Safari Sport is 7'3" and the Safari (non SE) is 8'.

I did not know that some states had a max width of 8'. Do you find that the trailer seems overly wide while towing. Our current trailer is only 7'8" and I wonder if this will be a big adjustment.

I know most big bus type motor homes are also 8' 6", so how do they travel in those states if they enforce that law, or does it only apply to trailers?

Driving in the East will be quite different from out west. We took a trip 7 years ago to the Rockies, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, etc. and after 6 weeks of driving out there is was tough to readjust to the heavy traffic back here. We have a house on a lake in Maine, and I dread taking the trailer up there, due to the heavy traffic and aggressive drivers. Once you get up to Maine it is fine, but NJ, NY, CT, MA are horrible to drive through. But we will want to go up to Canada and will want to have the SilverLining with us.

Wishing you a safe trip home,
Diane

PS I could not see any attached pictures.
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #90
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Home again

Janet: Nice rig. We thought of getting the Limited, but a pickup with leather seats just didn't seem right in rural Colorado. I didn't want to get them dirty when using it for work around here plus it would have cost more.

Diane, I can't compare towing various widths because we've never done it before. A standard traffic lane is, I believe, 12', so there's plenty of room (except when the pilot car comes and behind, a flatbed with half a house on it in the middle of a narrow old bridge). County and some state highways can be 10 or 11' or less. Some back roads seem to be just wide enough for the trailer and when there's no guard rail and a drop off of 10 or 100 or more feet, then any trailer is suddenly very wide. I pretty much know where the trailer is whatever I do after a couple of thousand miles. I'm one of those people who can drive through very, very narrow spaces without thinking much about it—it's that spacial relations thing and learning to drive in NYC.

One time in northern California, Barb insisted we go to one of those places where you can drive through a redwood or sequoia (can't remember which). When I was a kid, my father drove his gigantic Lincoln through the one at Sequoia NP, so I'd done it. But Barb had never had such an opportunity. We had at the time a giant Toyota Sequoia, but someone in an early '00 Tundra made it, so I thought "no sweat". I started in and noticed there were about 10 people watching me to see if I could do it. I wondered if they were taking bets, or maybe no one would bet on me. I got about half way through knowing I had no room to spare when the passage turned several degrees to the left. If I got stuck 3/4 of the way through I'd have to back out while turning and everyone watching and probably laughing. Well, I made it and I think there were some cheers (in my mind at least). Later I looked over the Sequoia and on the back right door handle a little bit of the finish had been scraped and the same on the highest part of the roof rack. Now that was close! Do not try this at home! Next time Barb can do it herself. Diane, you'll get used to it fast.

These were trailer and RV laws. Some of states seem to have different restrictions on different roads. There are also propane rules in some states. I remember the harbor tunnel between Norfolk and Hampton Roads is one. It's also true of a lot of car ferries and on a long trip, I suppose one should get a bag of ice or some dry ice for the refrigerator and turn off the gas. We'll think about traveling in the NYC area over the winter. I know changing lanes on a highway like I 95 can be challenging without a trailer.

I don't know how to add thumbnails. The photos are pdf attachments and at the bottom of my post about 5 back.

We stayed in Green River at what sounded like the best campground for the price, but after registering, we discovered the full hookups weren't full: no water. Seems that the contractor hadn't buried the pipes deep enough. We were going to thoroughly flush the black water tank this morning. They did have one faucet and we filled our potable water tank and flushed the black water tank for 3 or 4 minutes—about 15 or more gallons. No worry. There's a dump station at the Colorado Welcome Center in Fruita—east of the Utah line 19 miles. We could flush the tank again.

Overnight they predicted the storm would come in during the day instead of evening, but it seemed like it would be rain or wet snow that would melt right away. We got an early start and stopped in Fruita to re-flush. A road crew was filling holes and closed the dump station and showed no sign of leaving. There was plenty of room to let people use one side, but they had no interest in that. I guess we flushed well enough.

An easy drive, splitting the driving equally, but I did the Sam's Club strange parking lot and traffic circle (why do they make them so small?) with ease. Got home and spent a lot of time unloading. Where did all that stuff come from?

We are far less stressed and can drive longer and longer distances. When we split the driving, both of us feel better. Barb helps with everything and we are both getting good at each other's jobs. At a campground in Beatty, Nevada, the husband/owner was watching us get set up and said he had never seen a wife help before. Attention wives! Help your husband avoid a heart attack. Setting up causes coronary disease in men (only).

A few drops of rain along the way and snow starting early evening. We're supposed to have 7.5" by tomorrow evening. Got here just in time. The Safari is nice, but home is the best. Tomorrow, maybe, in the snow, winterizing.

Gene
Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
CrawfordGene, thank you for the trip. This is why I enjoy this forum so much. NO other forum I have been to is a polite and informative. Adventures are meant to be shared.

OK...whos next...I wanna go to Alaska now..................but will settle for a warmer climate till summer.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #92
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the compliment DFord.

I think Alaska is in 2009 for us, N. California/Oregon/Washington coast next fall, Newfoundland & Labrador in 2010. But if gas keeps going up, front yard in 2008, 2009, 2010.

Gene
Old 11-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Thanks for the adventure

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your well written, and informative, posts. We just went through the adventure of picking up our new 20' Safari in Ohio (and doing the factory tour). Our 920 mile return trip to Florida was a bit exciting, with 30-40 mph winds.....not to mention that the dealer let me drive away with a 2" hitch ball vs. the 2 5/16" that I needed (thank goodness for a bit of luck and strong equalizer bars).

Keep us informed on your travels....you write very well. I do believe that we previewed a Safari at the same dealership where you purchased yours (in Aug).

Chief
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Posting Photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I did manage to attach pictures, but I can't understand how others get photos on the post instead of as attachments. Instructions on the forum require some translation. Gene
Gene – I’ve enjoyed reading your creative, entertaining and informative posts…
A few more pictures will really bring it alive. Posting pictures is easy once you get the hang of it.

As you say, forum instructions might need a helpful translation or elaboration.
Forum Instructions: How to Add Photos to a Post:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/how-add-photos-posts-classifieds-31829.html

My translation and/or elaboration:

First make sure your photos are small enough to be uploaded. I have to reduce my digital photos to 40% of their original size to post.
(BTW, write your text on Word or other word processor, which will be your back-up if your original post fails to upload.)

When you are ready to post on a thread, scroll down to the bottom of the thread page. Find the "Quick Reply" Box/Window and click on the "Go Advanced" tab. Copy and paste your text in the Message Box.

When you are ready to attach photo(s), click on the paper clip symbol in the tool bar above your text, OR scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Manage Attachments".

Next click "Browse" to find and select your photo(s). Click on "Open".
Then click on the "Upload" tab to the right of the word "Browse".
Wait for the photo(s) to be uploaded (a few seconds).

If the photo was too large, you will find out at this point and scroll down the page to the section below "Attachment Key" to see listing of acceptable sizes. My photos are in jpg format.
If the photo fails to upload for any other reason, try repeating the above steps.

Once the photo is uploaded, I minimize this "Manage Attachments" window.

You are now ready to submit your post, but don’t click on the first "Submit Reply"!
Scroll down to the bottom of the "Additional Options" window and click on "Submit Reply"
Only click once, otherwise duplicate post(s) may appear.

Wait for your post to appear on the thread. If it seems like it did not post, wait a few minutes and refresh your screen, or go to another thread and then return to the thread you are posting on.

If it is obvious to you that the post failed to post, start over (hopefully you still have your original message saved on the word processor program and you can just copy and paste).

Once your post has successfully posted, review it. You have about 15 minutes to Edit your post.

Hope this helps you and others!

SilverGate http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396/silvergates-safari-home-last-29471-26.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1809 Trailer Morning - Lagunas backdrop.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	50168  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment DFord.

I think Alaska is in 2009 for us, N. California/Oregon/Washington coast next fall, Newfoundland & Labrador in 2010. But if gas keeps going up, front yard in 2008, 2009, 2010.

Gene
Isn't that the truth. I think We have the money to purchase our retirement AS by the end of next year and a new pickup as long as We get the basics and not too many frills. BUT.......I may get most of my enjoyment from it parked under the "Airport" (carport I purposely had built to match our home and store our 25 foot AS dream trailer 11 years ago ) polishing it till my loan comes through for gas to travel to Alaska. We have planned this AS thing for years..dacades it seems. I remember the first time I had an AS brochure in my hands and started dreaming of travel and Vacationing in an AS. I was much younger then and gas was only a buck....or so. That was sometime last century. O please mister president.....keep the promise of "there will be no gauging by gas companies on my watch". I guess it isnt gauging if you have oil stock....omg...here I go again. Stop me before I make a fool of myself ....AGAIN.

Anyway..I loved your exposey and looking forward to more. I can read this and take a trip without leaving the farm. er...that was Arlo Guthrie???
Old 12-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #96
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Preparing to winterize

The snow never came except some wet stuff for a while that melted. It rained most of the day. Rain in Colorado in December? Winters have been getting shorter and shorter for the last 20 years—warmer too. Beetles attacking 300+ year old piñon trees that have resisted them for centuries. Maybe it's time to move north.

I decided to look at some things to see what I would have to do. For example, the water pump. When I opened the door under the wardrobe, there is was, sort of. Water lines, heating duct and many wires in the way. The inlet—the one A/S recommends to pump the antifreeze into—was somewhere in the back accessible by 3 inch tall people with wrenches for mouths. The A/S instructions and the Aquatec owner's manual were next to useless. Next, go to the Forum. Check out this this thread: "Water Pump Access for 2007 Safari FB" under pumps, etc. (Obviously I don't know how to do links). Some very angry people, me included. It appears many 25's, the 27' too, have this insane arrangement.

Next, to try to follow silvergate's instructions on how to post a thumbnail. Maybe my photos were still too big. I transferred them from jpg to pdf to reduce the size, but maybe not enough. I did most of what silvergate suggests, but it didn't seem to work well. It may have to do with iPhoto and using the Safari browser (how could I use anything else?).

Gene
Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #97
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
One more picture

Mojave National Preserve looking west.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mojave.pdf (146.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #98
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Foiled again

Just can't get a thumbnail to appear. Must have something to do with the water pump. More research necessary.

Gene
Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #99
_

. , .
Quote:
I transferred them from jpg to pdf to reduce the size, but maybe not enough...
well, that is the problem'o.

pdf files will not show up as an image, only a link, i think.

pics need to be in a pic format.

keep them in a pic format after the crop/chop job.

the size you are using is fine (<1000x1000 and <1mb)

cheers
2air'

here is your last shot! so just CLICK THE PIC NOW for a bigGER view, bam!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	your_photo.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	50241  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
CrawfordGene...this AS wanter pump thing really irritates me. It would be so easy to put the water pump access from the outside of the AS with an insulated door on it. Then all you would have do to to winterize is drain the Hot water tank, turn the valvue to winterzine, insert a tube attached to water pump and suck up enough anitfreeze to fill the lines....and poof your done after a little dumped into the water traps.

My neighbor has a Lance camper...it takes him all of 10 minutes to winterize...well...less than that if HE would quit explaining to me how easy it is...lol. The water pump on His Lance camper is inside an insulated door ...OUTSIDE>....no mess ..no fuss...soo easy a 10 year old could do it.