RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, now you tell us about "The Law". Fortunately we bought ours out of state; [Oregon] and it took us two long days to get there and only ten days to get it back to our home. [broken in!]
Bob,

What? And you with less than two weeks to retirement? OMG. Well, since it's the law I can certainly understand though.

Barry
Old 11-17-2007, 12:29 AM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe I should have called this thread: Frisky Law Abiders

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
You guys are too funny, but my excuse is that I am Norwegian, and you know those Scandinavians, they had to keep warm some how!

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay 1.75
We visited the factory on November 14 and may have seen both yours and ours in production. We have a 27 SE FB on order. Our production started on the 13th. Kind of exciting to see parts being brought together. Go to the "mothership" sometime to see how it all happens.
Wow, that is exciting. I did not even know you could visit the factory until reading some posts here about that. I believe it is in Ohio, which is rather far from NJ. But maybe someday on a trip we could go there. Do they offer tours?

Diane
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think so. I believe there's a post by 2air with pictures of the factory tour. It's in Jackson Center, Ohio.

Gene
Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Bernermom

We drove from Minneapolis to Jackson Center, OH. Can't be much further for you!!!! Tour is at 2:00 pm. They have a gift shop that you can drop a bunch of $$$ at!! Tour is about 1 and one half hours.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay 1.75
We drove from Minneapolis to Jackson Center, OH. Can't be much further for you!!!! Tour is at 2:00 pm. They have a gift shop that you can drop a bunch of $$$ at!! Tour is about 1 and one half hours.
Yes I think your drive was at least as far, if not farther! Did you go all that way just to look at the factory? When do you expect delivery on yours?

Diane
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Another break-in cruise

We started a longer trip today to learn and have some fun. Towing is getting easier after the first 600 miles. Two passes, beautiful SW Colorado scenery and we beat the change in weather. A little over 4 hours and 190 miles on winding roads. Hitching up is pretty easy too. It seems some people have a lot of trouble getting the ball under the tongue, but centering the truck seems fairly simple. The Equalizer is also pretty simple to attach and we've already developed a system to unhitch and hitch, checking each other with our mutual mental checklist. In fact, we already have developed systems for everything to get ready when we go and when we stop. We've got walkie-talkies, but we haven't really needed them.

The hardest part is getting out of our driveway. It's narrow between the fence posts. The county road features a hill where people drive fast and suddenly see our driveway 150 feet away. I have to cross over to the opposite lane to make the turn onto the road and feel very vulnerable while getting out of the driveway (and not taking out my mailbox), into the proper lane and stopping to pick up Barb who has been watching for traffic and the mailbox. One switchback on the 4 miles to a state highway and a big drop without guard rails for about a mile of that, and were on our way. Part of that county road has no sun for months during winter and is always icy, but not yet. Another way to our house is very steep, but usually has less ice during winter. I'm hoping we can get home when we get back on Dec. 1. We've discovered most of the campgrounds in western Colorado are already closed, but we found a nice one in Cortez, Sundance RV Park.

I did take the task lamp apart the other day to find out why the intermittent light. The bulb looked okay. I removed two screws in the base and found two connections at the switch and two in the wire. They all seemed tight and moving the wires didn't make the bulb flicker. I reinstalled the lamp and then when I touched the base, the lamp flickered. I decided to get out the test lamp (a cheap magical item great for testing 12 v. circuits) another time. But since then the lamp has worked fine and touching the base has had no effect. Maybe it has a repair program like those computers on Star Trek. Such hopes are usually self deception.

The other day I waxed part of the front to see what it would look like. It looked the same. I did find some small dings in rock guards already. And that's only after 600 miles!

We did find a good place to mount hooks. Inside the bathroom, on each side of the door, the partition is thick enough to hold a 3/4" screw. We put a robe hook up high on each side for those wet bath towels to dry.

On this 3rd outing, my driving stress level is way down. I am not holding the steering wheel so tight the plastic melts. I am not looking in the mirrors so much I am likely to run into something. I'm getting good at knowing where the trailer wheels are going to be when I go around a corner and don't have to creep around 90˚ turns. We're eating healthy food and not taking a chance on a restaurant that may or may not be good. We might even have fun soon.

On to Arizona tomorrow to see an Indian trader we met several years ago (we compared our knee surgeries and what Medigap insurance was best besides talking about Navajo culture and weaving—old guys always talk about surgery) and into the central Arizona mountains before the snow hits there in a few days. Then Phoenix for the Heard Museum (great Navajo collection), visit with another trader, and go to Trader Joe's (none in Colorado). We'll be looking for a good campground in Scottsdale for a couple of days. Any suggestions?

Gene
Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
big Trader Joe's fan here!

you might want to put the mailbox on a pipe you can slide out of the ground or one that has an arm that swings.

if you put out orange cones before your driveway, would that help?

happy traveling!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #70
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks Ricky. I thought of moving the mailbox, but I've cleared it by 2 to 3 feet twice, so I guess I'm ok. Barb could stand at the top of the hill waving red cones around, but then I'd have to wait about 200 yards away for her and the road is hilly all the way. I've got to get the county to put up hidden driveways signs and the rate they do things, that'll take 5 years.
Gene
Old 11-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #71
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Propane lesson

I woke up at 4:30 am in a Cortez, Colorado, campground. It felt cold, really cold. Groggy, I managed to lie to myself for a while. "It feels cold because it's so warm in the bed. I set the furnace at 60˚. Everything's fine". Denial can only go so far, so I got out of bed and checked the temp in the dinette: 44˚. That meant it was 38 or 39˚ in the bedroom. I checked the furnace—properly set. I knew what it meant. It was about 25˚ outside.

I got dressed, went to get the flashlight out of the truck and checked the propane. The valve on the reserve tank was closed. I opened it. "Solved" I thought. I went inside where it felt warm by comparison and turned the furnace off and on since it hadn't gone on. The fan went on and after a minute or so, went off. Time to get out the book with my frozen fingers. My suspicion was air in the line; confirmed by the book. Light each appliance manually if necessary. I turned on the water heater (closest appliance to the propane tanks; it worked right away). Next, the stove top. It lit right away and it was so nice and hot. I knew I wasn't supposed to heat with it, so I turned it off. The furnace still didn't work. The book didn't tell me how to light the furnace (I choose to ignore the refrigerator). Back to the truck to get a screwdriver and open the furnace outer door, open the inner cover, and there were the instructions on how to light it. Use the thermostat it said. There was no way to light the furnace manually. Back inside. By then the temp was 43˚. I went back to the thermostat. I turned it off and on. It lit. I went back to bed.

I remembered the propane system instructions we had been given when we picked up the Safari had made little sense. I told myself I'd better read up on that. I forgot. I'll never forget again.

On to northern Arizona and eventually Phoenix. We found a giant RV park full of big white boxes that apparently spend the winter there. Some people have little trailer houses. Everyone close to everyone. Not our taste. Internet for $5 a day! Forget it. The cable TV hookup had a male connector, not female as is normal. We watched PBS in HD over the air. Barb made a great vegetarian Thanksgiving meal and we enjoyed a good day together.

On Friday we went to Trader Joe's and stocked up on things that are hard to get where we live, visited the Heard Museum and stopped by a trading post in Scottsdale where we know the manager. They had some nice Navajo weavings, but we have no more room. We had a rug on consignment there, but it didn't sell and so now it's on the bed.

Today, off to Kingman where the internet is free, but so overloaded (satellite) that it doesn't always work. I don't know if I can post this. We've learned to set up the sewer drain when we get to a site so we can drain the grey water in the morning easily. Two showers and washing dishes fills the grey water tank to about 5/8 or more. It's too easy to ignore when it's cold out or I'm just eager to get going. Tomorrow to Mojave National Preserve for our first time boondocking. We'll find out just how well the solar system works and how careful we have to be with water and battery power.

Traveling has been mostly uneventful. Strong crosswinds a few times today seemed to have no effect on the Airstream although I could feel the wind pressure on the truck. Everyone wants to pass, even when I'm going fast. At the end of a passing zone on a 2 lane highway, they try to get past where the road starts to narrow. I put on my turn signal long before the road narrows and start moving slowly over. Maybe they figure I'll stop in the right lane, or go straight and crash into a tree. They squeeze by, partly in the opposing lane. One silver Prius passed me on the right at the end of the passing zone. I haven't seen driving like that since I was in Florida.

Gene
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
So how did you get the furnace to light, or did I miss that. Is there something different about the AS with regard to the propane tanks.

The first year we had our big white box, (1994) we went down to SkyLine Drive in Virginia in early April. Not as cold as where you are perhaps, but pretty cold. Our furnace stopped working the first day of a six day trip, and we never did get it going again. We were younger I guess, so we made out okay, but chose to shower in the campground bathrooms, because it was way to cold to shower in the trailer! When we got home the dealer fixed the problem (I do not recall what it was), and the heater has worked fine ever since.

We also now carry a small ceramic heater, which we use when we have full hookup. It saves on propane.

We have learned to take a shower with little water. I get wet, turn off the water while washing, then turn it back on to rinse. I also only use soaps safe for the environment like Dr. Bonner's, and I find they rinse easier also. I can get three showers and three days of dishes out of my current tank, which is 36 gallons. We carry gallon bottles of water, which we refill at home, for drinking. If we are in a campground with showers, my husband will use their faclities also.

Don't forget to fill that empty tank, we did that once, and then the other ran out, not fun!

Diane
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #73
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
So how did you get the furnace to light, or did I miss that. Is there something different about the AS with regard to the propane tanks...
the furnace (on modern units) will automatically reset and light,

but the thermostat needs to be turned completely OFF for a while for the reset function to work.

no there isn't anything different about the lp tanks,

there is a simple switch that lets the gas flow automatically switch over to the 2nd tank when the primary runs dry.

in order for this feature to work both tank valves must be in the ON position...

that's the key step gene missed or forgot, and it only needs to happen once to learn.

i think we've all been outside, in our bvds with a flashlight, fiddling with the tank knobs in sub freezing weather,..

it is one of the many rv'n rights of passage.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #74
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Thumbs down The County To Do It!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Thanks Ricky. I thought of moving the mailbox, but I've cleared it by 2 to 3 feet twice, so I guess I'm ok. Barb could stand at the top of the hill waving red cones around, but then I'd have to wait about 200 yards away for her and the road is hilly all the way. I've got to get the county to put up hidden driveways signs and the rate they do things, that'll take 5 years.
Gene
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK THEM FOR.....Brother-in-law went to the

county highway dept. in Cold Brook N.Y. Told them he wanted the deer

crossing sign moved...Too many deer getting hit.....thought it was a bad

place for a crossing

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks 2Air, we have the two tanks now, and I was aware that if you leave both on, it will automatically switch to the other tank when one runs dry. I remember that from when we first got this SOB. But for some reason my husband only leaves one tank open. I will have to ask him why he does it that way.

Diane
Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
he does it to avoid the "hey, both tanks are empty!" surprise. not that i ever said it ;-)
Old 11-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
he does it to avoid the "hey, both tanks are empty!" surprise. not that i ever said it ;-)
Oh, but both tanks have been empty, and it was not pretty
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
yes, it's not pretty, i found out last winter when the heat went off. it was 2 days before the scheduled gas delivery but luckily we have a heat strip and the temps rose. it was my first extended stay with the AS and i got my feet wet very quickly. while the auto switching is nice, it is hard for me to see down there. we only get gas delivery every other week. i'd rather not drive around a tank if i don't have to.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #79
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The furnace eventually reset as 2air described. I didn't know it would so I just turned it on and off a couple of times which gave it time to reset.

We drove to the Flying J in Kingman where the gas area was small and motorhomes took about half the spaces. I pulled into the only open gas pump, looked in front of me and saw very little space to go forward. The place was getting more and more crowded—Sunday after Thanksgiving. I don't know how the motorhomes got out (their tanks are so big they were still there when I left), but maybe they did what I did—backed out. That was interesting. Since people seem to be afraid of trucks with big trailers towering over them, they get out of the way. I think I looked like I knew what I was doing. I never see any RV's where the 18 wheelers get fuel, so I guess they only have diesel.

On to California. The last gas stations before the Colorado River are at Exit 9 on I 40. The first (the cheaper one—about $2.95) was starting to spill out into the highway, half of the spaces with giant motorhomes. The next station was $3.119, but I could get in. Better than across the river in Needles: $3.859.

We continued on to Mojave National Preserve and up to the Hole in the Rock campground. When I was growing up in the East, I thought the Mojave Desert was sand dunes. Not true. It's rocks, sagebrush, cacti, flowers, piñon/juniper/cedar forest and a few dunes. Truly beautiful and very different. We live in the high desert (the forest and sage and prickly pear and barrel cactus), but this is a lot more dry and there's a lot of bare rocks. The place is stark and amazing. It's also a lot hotter in the summer; 60's in the day now and around 30˚ at night.

We spent 2 nights, walked around a bit, read novels, slept late. Strangely, 50 miles from Needles and 20 from I 40, the cellphone worked! We used most of our 39 gallons of water, but figured we could stretch it 3 days if we had to. If we had showered, it would have been one day. The solar panel charged up the batteries pretty well, but we ran the furnace in the low 50's at night to save volts. We only used 2 lights at the most. We kept watching the solar control panel anxiously—one by one the green lights go out and then finally they're all out and only yellow and red were left. The readout sometimes went as low as 11.9 v. on the second morning, but that gave us a fair amount of leeway. The monitor system A/S supplies never went below 5/8. We were anxious, but now have a better idea of just what we can expect.

When we left, we took a washboard road 15 miles until we were back on pavement. Shook some stuff up inside! When we got to pavement I asked Barb if she wanted to drive. Hardly a car in 20 miles in any direction, I figured I'd be safe. She did fine learning how it all handles, but wanted me to drive on the interstate.

On to Las Vegas and look for a Camping World to get things we found out we needed. There's one on the Strip, but way south of the Strip with all the hotels. Drive in and find out they have no place to park an RV! I don't care for CW and this made me wonder some more about them. But we could find them and got what we needed.

Then northwest to Pahrump, Beatty, Goldfield, and Tonopah. Stayed at a little place in Beatty. Nice people, no internet, no TV. I figured out how to use the CD player and the sound system is very good. Tempting to turn "Dark Side of the Moon" way, way up, but we refrained as it was late. But even with the volume up pretty high, I couldn't hear it too far away from the trailer. Good insulation.

Today we traveled to Tonopah and then took US 6 over to Ely. Many mountain ranges to cross and much gas got used. Moat people see very little of Nevada I think, but it's a beautiful state and much is empty and remote, but the roads are good. Barb probably drove half the time, but has yet to try a larger town, a cramped gas station or backing up. Her time will come.

My biggest learning experience came when we left the campground in Kingman. It's not a good idea to drive away with the jack down. A guy came running after us with the "foot" (I don't know if it has an official name, but "foot" says it for me). The top was no longer round, but oval. I shortly discovered I was a very bad person for forgetting this minor detail. Barb's brand new trailer had been destroyed, or would shortly be, because it was in the hands of an idiot (me). When we got to the Mojave I hammered it back into shape in about a minute and it fits better now (hero again).

We've also discovered that most campgrounds are mom and pop operations. After years of staying in homogenized motels (although we look for the older kinds and historic hotels), this is something of a relief. The bigger ones (like expensive lodging) like to charge extra for cable TV and internet. We avoid them (KOA seems to be one that has lots of nuisance charges), but sometimes we can't.

We gave our first tour to a curious neighbor. We've seen about 4 A/S's on the road and several in campgrounds. We're on our way home. Tonight it's supposed to be 9˚. We went into downtown Ely and by the time we got back—about 1 1/2 hours—the water hose had already frozen. Threw in the back of the truck. Figuring this would happen sometime, I've got another to top off the fresh water tank in the morning. The temp is cratering, winter is here (about 7,000' altitude) and the furnace is running and running. Keeping all the blinds and curtains closed helps a lot. Both propane valves very, very open.

We're still on tank #2 after a week and that's better than I expected.

Gene
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #80
_

. , .
dragging the jack?

bummer!

but we've all done this at least once too.

hey now, don't run completely out of lp gas. get that empty one filled while you've still got some juice in the other one.

also the last 1/4-1/3 of the tank seems to go by much quicker than the first 1/3, at least that's what happens in mine.

safe travels!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote