Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #61

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I can't say personally had any bad experience with the hitches on a GMC Safari AWD van and two GMC trucks that we have owned, but have read of a lot of other folks that have!

Because of that, I try to remember to check the hitch welds on every trip we make, and would change to an aftermarket hitch if/when I ever see signs of developing problems.

Brian M.

I replaced the faulty OEM GM receivers with aftermarket Class IV receivers. They were a simple bolt-on that I was able to do myself. The local Chevrolet dealer offered to replace the cracked receiver under warranty, but I declined the offer as that would be replacing junk with more junk.

Here is a photo of a weld crack on one of the OEM GM receivers.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0897.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	199735  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #62
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Hopefully I uploaded it correctly this time.
Annie,

There should also be evidence on whatever portion of the hitch that caused the deformation.
Is there an area on the head or section of the chains that also shows paint loss/damage?

It looks like the damage happened when turning sharply, forward or backing up. Is there anything unusual you can remember?

Where are you now? A U-Haul service center could ck it for you. Ask a local camper and the Campground host for recommendations.

Bob
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am not sure, on the relatively long wheelbase of the Tundra, that you can turn sharp enough to reach the stop angle of the hitch head assembly. (85* I think on a PP)
I think that bind could only occur upon backing very sharply. Perhaps Sean could weight in on that???

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
I forgot to answer a question asked. Yes, they did add more chain and chains were very close to dragging.

I have no issue with Sean or the way he has handled everything. I appreciate that he has sold the replacement hitch at cost. Once I'm able to move on (I'm at a camp ground in Canton, TX), I'll find a uhaul or rv repair place to check out the hitch. Thanks, Annie
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Hopefully I uploaded it correctly this time.

I'm having trouble with the pic perspective here. What are we looking at...from what angle? Why does, what I am assuming are the spring bars, one look like it is a larger diameter than the other? was this taken with the camera below the AS coupler looking straight down?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
The discussion in the attached thread may possibly be when Annie's stinger bend happened.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...lp-112518.html
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #67
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Yes the posts are related.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
If it were mine, I would want a real close look at the trailer a-frame as well. I'm still having a hard time visualizing the stinger being the weak link in the chain of components here. And if it's not, then something else would seem to me to have to be tweaked.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #69
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There's nothing faulty, some are trolling, others don't like the ProPride/Hensley because they don't have one. If they did they would defend it, just like every other product we see discussed in these forums.

It's the flak we must fly through to carry on a decent discussion.
Just because I don't agree or don't own one doesn't make me a "troll"

If I thought I needed or just wanted a Propride hitch I'd own one.

I'm no engineer but I have rode my share of trains and I see the chain excuse causing the stinger to bend is just that a lame excuse....if I couldn't get a full refund I'd get the replacement parts and sell the hitch and cut my loses.

Another point...If she did jackknife the trailer to the point of bending the stinger I'd expect to see damage to the vehicle or the trailer.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #70
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
OK, I read all 69 posts. I have not lost one iota of confidence in my PP. Reading the instructions on how to set up the PP (and making sure i understand them) when I first got it was a big part of a successful ownership experience over more than 20,000 towing miles. While I'm not a mechanical or structural engineer, and having lifted that VERY heavy hunk of 2" steel many times, I'm betting a much too severe backing angle was the culprit.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
annie.

Can you post other pictures from several different angles so we can see just at what point the bend is? Looking straight down it is hard to tell.
When metal bends it either flows leaving a stretched area a kinked area or it fails leaving a gag. Which took place is what we need to see.

I agree with those posting that there is little likely hood the chains had anything to do with this. The term Chains Plural is misleading in that the only way both chains could be involved is if the the truck or trailer was lifted straight up to a point that the chains became tight, not likely.
Any horizontal displacement could only cause one chain to become tight.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The most important thing is that you are ok Annie.

Quote:
Just a little data.
no this is what I appreciate about you Sean. Thanks for responding on the forum.

It looks like your chains were bound between the pivot head and the bars and jammed the head from pivoting and forcing the weight resistance on a straight line once jammed.

Don't worry. Things will happen. When I backed my AS into something and dented the panel in I was freaked- mad that someone had put a board up on a shelf sticking way out but also realizing that regardless, it was my fault. Minimize the loss and realize the lesson learned, always planning carefully and safely as best you can.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
I understand the concern for a newbie/fellow camper and wanting their first experiences to be good ones but I find the "witch hunting" irritating at the very least. Based on the facts displayed on the stinger, there is nothing PP/Sean could have done to cause that short of putting a hinge in the stinger. It is also verification of the weld quality for those who questioned it, as well as, the yoke design. People tend to focus on the bad but there has been some good information obtained out of this, as well.

I have two Hensley Arrow on the floor of my shop (I chose to retire them) and two ProPrides in service. The ProPrides are head & shoulders above the Hensleys in numerous respects, no doubt about it. I own & run a big manufacturing facility, design and sell my own equipment. I can't help but to evaluate other people's designs and workmanship especially on unique equipment. I try not to hand out too many blue ribbons but the ProPride is what the Hensley should have evolved into if they had been trying to improve their (Arrow) product. They didn't and ProPride easily surpassed them. The end-users are the ones that benefited from Sean's desire to provide a new & improve hitch. I'd buy another tomorrow if I had a need for it and although I have the machinist, tools & technology, I certainly couldn't build one for what his retail for. As a side note, I called Hensley, ask them a technical question and got the "canned" speech...I was embarrassed for them and wasted my dime calling them.

I do sympathize with the OP...however, bought experience comes in many different sizes. The less mechanical ability, usually the bigger the cost. I think Sean was more than fair sending the replacement at his cost and for the life of me, can't understand why he has to defend his honor every time someone creates their own issue. Good thing anvil manufacturers aren't responsible for everything that gets screwed up on them.

If a manufacturer is liable for any possible way a user can have or create an issues...before long, no-one will be providing these goodies for our trailers or they'll have to build the "possibility" into their cost pushing the price out of most people's reach.

I don't know Sean from Adam and don't need to....I know what I need to know about Sean through his products. They speak volumes on their own. I may destroy one this weekend but it sure as hell won't be Sean's fault. Sometimes you just have to suck it up, write it off to education and move on with a better understanding.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
How from the stated facts and photos here do some feel it warranted to categorize as "faulty"?
Exactly Pharmgeek. From the look of it. Something was above the bars and the angle of bend and upward bend suggest a hard turn. With the head jammed, the turn would have forced all the weight/load in a straight line, probably from the original position. The only two factors are operator or product. Whatever was between the bars and the head (note the bent up areas) was part of the issue.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Exactly Pharmgeek. From the look of it. Something was above the bars and the angle of bend and upward bend suggest a hard turn. With the head jammed, the turn would have forced all the weight/load in a straight line, probably from the original position. The only two factors are operator or product. Whatever was between the bars and the head (note the bent up areas) was part of the issue.
Initially I couldn't see how the chain could be responsible for the damage because I was thinking in terms of the chain being in tension - in which case I felt it would surely have let go before causing such major damage to the 2" bar.

But if it is suggested that somehow chain links caused jamming of the pivot mechanism and as such the links were in compression, then that is a different scenario and I could see that situation.

If that happened though, I would expect to see some significant "squishing damage" (Technical term?!) evident on the links. I wonder if that was found?

This all starts to sound a bit like train derailment investigations I used to be involved in years ago!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Excellent post Zack!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Actually I think what we need is more facts and less cheer leading. Reading both the threads on this near catastrophic failure it is clear to me that all the facts have not been made public.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Arrow - The shear bolts would have sheared. The strut bar would have bent. The hole that the strut attaches to on the main orange hitch head would have ripped out to the trailer side. ProPride - the frame bracket that holds the tail of the yoke will shift to the side. There are no shear bolts because there is no drilling into the frame to install the ProPride.
Like this?
Backing uphill in the mud. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-797921350.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	199774   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1796776111.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	199775  

Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
oh oh . . . two hitch conspiracies in one thread.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #80
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Liking our ProPride!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote