Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Question Has anyone worn out their Coupler?

I was having a discussion with my favorite AS mechanic last week. No it wasn't me. As far as I know I don't talk to myself. or do I?

He and I were discussing the fact that when I lifted my trailer the last time take it down to offsite storage at a friends house that I had problems keeping the ball in the coupler. I have a new latch from fall 2006 and a brand new first time use ball.

I am going to try to replace the latch but I think he may be correct that the coupler will need to be replaced since it has 80,000+ miles on it and two accidents.
The coupler socket has remained lubricated the entire time.

So the couple hundred $ question: Coupler replacement or ?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I have not looked real close at mine,, but did test it locked up by raising the jack a bit.. Most of them I have been around can be adjusted as the flipper catcher thingey wares.. The draw system that pulls up on the lock plate is the most important as if it failed it would turn loose the flipper flopper locker plate..

Bet someone comes on behind all this with the proper terms,, and more solid info..

Myself,, lube,, test and always look for cracks or lose bolts and such,

Sodbust
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A few months ago a 1986 Sovereign came into the shop with a worn out coupler. The ball sat much too high in the coupler, and the latch wouldn't latch. We attributed this to a lack of lubrication, since it had never seen a drop of grease since 1986.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If I ever need to replace the one on our Airstream, I'll consider a Bulldog Collar-Lok A-Frame coupler; I have one on our equipment trailer. It's really tough and there's no way that latch is wearing out - and it's obvious when it is properly latched.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Bart,

FYI...

They are not meant for travel trailers and I have seen them on two trailers and the frame were badly bent! They fit on the ball very tight (toooo Tight) and force the frame to bend rather then pivot on the ball!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Well, I have no idea why those frames were bent, but color me deeply skeptical that the coupler grabs on so hard that it bends the frame. It is a lot more likely that someone overdid the WD settings and replaced the coupler, or vice versa. The Tin Pickle's frame is slightly bent just ahead of the body - likely a steep driveway and an aggressive WD hitch w/ a PO.

- Bartt
Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Even the most expensive coupler option isn't really expensive. So I'd be inclined to replace a twice wrecked one.

I, too, "like" the BULLDOG coupler . . but it's worth asking why it is never used on travel trailers by OEM's.

There "might" be something more to it than cost. After all, a trailer that jumps the ball is bound to have excited some lawsuit or other and have this question raised.

Or, why would it not be an option (is the other)? Far as I can tell the slide/collar lock might just need more oil or grease than the usual coupler type.

Look forward to what someone finds out about it.

http://www.redtrailers.com/images/ac...umbs/21011.jpg

And, here is Mexray on his QUICKBITE coupler. Had a guy pull in next to me two weeks ago with one. The simplicity is appealing.

Ray reports that one need not even remove the old coupler, just cut the "nose" off the end and -- by design -- weld the Quickbite right over it.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/dreamstreamr/SC...jpg?imgmax=512
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
If I ever need to replace the one on our Airstream, I'll consider a Bulldog Collar-Lok A-Frame coupler; I have one on our equipment trailer. It's really tough and there's no way that latch is wearing out - and it's obvious when it is properly latched.

- Bart
How do you adapt this to the trailers A frame?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Even the most expensive coupler option isn't really expensive. So I'd be inclined to replace a twice wrecked one.
The first "wreck" was a seperation. The second one the trailer remained connected. However, the person behind me reported the trailer was swaying plus or minus nearly a full lane.

How I didn't loose it is still a mystery to me.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is ok to talk to yourself if no one is listening and if you like the company.

But that probably wasn't your real question—

With two accidents, the damage that the coupler may have experienced would be enough for me to change it. You have also had trouble with your hitch and that may have made the situation worse. There may be an adjustment, but maybe you can't see any damage.

I'd replace it.

I saw some posts on the Quickbite a while ago and it was intriguing. This is an opportunity to find something better than the OEM coupler.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I saw some posts on the Quickbite a while ago and it was intriguing. This is an opportunity to find something better than the OEM coupler.
If anyone pursues the Quickbite, I'd be interested in finding out what you find out. When I asked my sales guy about it, he said there was some question as to whether it was really compatible with a proper weight distribution hitch set up. I don't know enough to know if that's code for "we don't deal with it and we don't want to" or if there really is a compatibility issue.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
They have several types with different weight ratings.

BULLDOG A-Frame Couplers

http://www.bulldogproducts.net/content/default.aspx

And, as CrawfordGene indicated above, the "wreck" of your trailer, twice would have been more than enough to have considered the coupler worn out, IMO.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Has anyone spotted any RV'ers using any other type of attachment pieces?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Quote:
They make an A-frame version, so I'd support the tongue under the tanks, remove the tanks & regulator, plug trailer propane line, remove the jack, cache the break-away wiring somewhere safe, grind the welds off on the existing coupler, test-fit the new coupler and remove any paint near where the welds would go, and tack and then weld in place using a high penetration electrode (6010 or 6011); I'd butter pass w/ 7018 as that's much prettier. Clean slag, wirebrush and etch raw metal with phosphoric acid, paint with Aluthane or other polyurethane UV rated paint. Replace jack, break-away switch, tanks, etc. and test.

Likely take several hours + wait time for paint. Any competent weld shop can do this for you.

- Bart
Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a Bull Dog coupler on my hay mower. It has been there for 10 years. When I am mowing the 62 acres on the farm I make a 90 degree turn to the right and then another 90 degree turn to the left. This operation occurs about every 2 minutes all day long for about 16 days a year. So in 10 years it has gone thru this operation 48,000 times. It shows no sign of significant wear. I do grease the mechanism regularly.
I can't see any reason why this ball coupler would not be a safe device on a travel trailer. It certainly has a very positive lock mechanism.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Welding

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Likely take several hours + wait time for paint. Any competent weld shop can do this for you.

- Bart
Bart,
A competent welder will do this for me. I won't do any welding that is critical. That is left to the professionals.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
FYI, I torched off, ground off slag and remaining weld, and welded on a new stamped A-frame coupler on a boat trailer the other day. I used 1/8 6010 rod. Everything went well and it took a half hour.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I've had a coupler wear out on a utility trailer... just poor maintenance because I didn't care about it. Moved from a 1 7/8 to a 2 inch ball and that fixed it.

My Basecamp had a 2 inch coupler that was really nice.. very easy to tell if it was engaged. My Intl has the old-school flip latch, which I think is the crappiest design ever...

Oh well...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #19
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Bart,
A competent welder will do this for me. I won't do any welding that is critical. That is left to the professionals.
That call is one you have to make yourself. I don't get paid for welding, but I've welded my own boat trailer from scratch, as well as the boiler that's in that boat . Coupler are actually a low stress situation because there's so much space for welds - many inches long. If you do the math, a small fraction of the welds on the coupler will suffice to hang the Airstream in mid-air! Tricky bits are when there's very little metal thickness/area to carry the load, or if you have to do it upside down, blind and in a box like those Navy certified welders.

- Bart
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's a users opinion on Quick Bite:

Dreamstreamr Odyssey Chasing 75 Degrees
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote