Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Has anyone here actually cracked or broke a front wrap around window??

I'm totally paranoid about my windows now. I know that it's possible for rocks to hit them but has it actually happened to anyone here? Can you even get a replacement? I will eventually make rock gaurds for my trailer but can't do it just yet..
VonLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
My best guess is the front wheels of the tow vehicle wouldn't the culprit that would fling a rock. I'm considering just putting mud flaps on my truck till I figure out something else.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We had a curved front streetside window broken by a rock thrown up by a passing truck on our first trip bringing the trailer home after we bought it.

It is possible to get replacement windows. The new ones don't exactly match our 40 year old trailer, so we had to rivet in a small piece of aluminum to have something to rivet into on the inside, but the outside looks like new.

We are currently considering several possible rock guard designs. Meanwhile, we have some pieces of an old camping pad taped over the two curved side windows. It's not particularly pretty, but it beats the hours and expense it would take to replace another window.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
The PO of my trailer broke the curbside and front center windows. I replaced with Lexan. It has worked well so far, the curved panel is a little tricky. I will eventually get the glass replacement when I can find it, but the Lexan mated it a lower/ less immediate priority.
I have the "sunglasses" (Rock Guards) over the front windows now so I am not anticipating any more issues.
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
I'm totally paranoid about my windows now. I know that it's possible for rocks to hit them but has it actually happened to anyone here? Can you even get a replacement? I will eventually make rock gaurds for my trailer but can't do it just yet..
Quote:
My best guess is the front wheels of the tow vehicle wouldn't the culprit that would fling a rock. I'm considering just putting mud flaps on my truck till I figure out something else.
The three piece rock guard like that shown on c lewis' trailer will fit your Argosy and help protect the windows. It also looks cool.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
These are just one option available, a good TV rock protector will save you from a lot of AS damage, especially when towing on back country roads. The best feature on these is the full width protection, easy on/off.

I have also put the oversize flaps on the rear of the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	133613  
Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
It definitely happens. I've talked to 3 different people who had the front windows shatter while towing without a rock guard in place. I replaced the original white plastic/fiberglass one with the more modern looking plexi-glass. I liked the look of the old style but it was damaged beyond repair and I too was super paranoid about losing a front window. One of those "ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure" things.
bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Have not broken a window, but we took a terrible hit on the rock guard on the drivers side curved window. It did quite a bit of damage to the plastic rock guard so I am sure it would have totaled the window. We had flaps on the TV at the time. A member in our unit bought a trailer and lost one of the windows on the way home with it. It can happen.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Has anyone here actually cracked or broke a front wrap around window??

Greetings VonLuck!

Something else to keep in mind with your Vintage Argosy is that the new replacement windows that are available are solar tinted (like the current Airstreams as the same window is in use today) while your original wing/wrap windows are clear. Today, the only way to get a replacement clear wing/wrap window is to find one from a salvage trailer. The three-piece rock guard is a comparatively inexpensive way to protect those valuable clear wing/wrap windows.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I managed to crack the front window on my 1964 Airstream on the way home (flat glass so relatively inexpensive to replace) after its purchase. My experience with my Airstream made a rock guard my number one priority on the Argosy.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Burbank , California
Huh! That's alot more than I expected.
I'm going to be making myself some aluminum rock guards. Very aircraft looking and I can paint them if I like. They will look just like the rock guards you can buy but in aluminum. I figure it will look like a factory piece even though it's not. I'm also going to make and keep the patterns if anyone likes the way it looks I'll be able to make more sets.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
$$$$$

I think a new window will cost more than $1000.00. I built a rock guard for $200.00. I have a full width shield across the back of my truck much like the one above. It is permanently mounted to the truck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I've got a nice sized "star" in my curb side OEM plexiglass shield from a rock hit which would have shattered my curved window, so it definitely happens.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
After having one of the front curved windows break, I put the rock guard on. Thanks to a donor Argosy I was able to find a replacement that wasn't a bank breaker. Replacing the window was not one of those fun tasks, either. In short, put a rock guard on there. It is cheap insurance.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
keep an eye out for replacements on the classified section. I have one left and I am asiking $350.00 plus shipping charges.
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
yep. i had one break on my first trip. new tinted one from a dealer is pushing $1k. Still trying to find a clear one.
saburkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I have a chap calling me back in a day or two. He has many parts available and is going through my list to confirm what he can supply me.
Apparently he is a retired RV wrencher, having worked for the local A/S dealer when there was one in Calgary.
saburkha, which window is it and I will ask him if you like.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I've broken a left front curved window and a side living room window on my '69 International. Front break happened on the first trip I took after removing the rock guard. Needless to say the guard was repaired and reinstalled ASAP when I got home! The side window break happened in San Antonio. Never did learn the reason (it occurred while driving). I taped plastic over it for the 1000 mile trip home.

I repaired the left front window with Lexan. It was time consuming but turned out well. I ordered a new side window from a dealer in St. Louis. Can't remember the name as it has been more than 25 years ago.

Gene
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
I have a chap calling me back in a day or two. He has many parts available and is going through my list to confirm what he can supply me.
Apparently he is a retired RV wrencher, having worked for the local A/S dealer when there was one in Calgary.
saburkha, which window is it and I will ask him if you like.

Bex
Bex! You're awesome Thanks so much. I need the door side front window for a 76 Argosy.
Attached Images

saburkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by saburkha View Post
Bex! You're awesome Thanks so much. I need the door side front window for a 76 Argosy.
I wanted the other side which he does not have. But he told me he does have that side. What do you want to budget for this? I just bought the screen door (ours is missing) for $100.00 cad which I thought was OK, last one I tried to get was $350 US

PM Me is probably better then we can chat about postage etc.

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
I wanted the other side which he does not have. But he told me he does have that side. What do you want to budget for this? I just bought the screen door (ours is missing) for $100.00 cad which I thought was OK, last one I tried to get was $350 US

PM Me is probably better then we can chat about postage etc.

Bex
Wrap windows cost almost $900.00, not installed.

New clear wrap windows have not been available for many years. It's tinted, or nothing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote