Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: How concerned are you about payload?
I watch it very closely and never go over 38 29.46%
I think about it and try to stay below 56 43.41%
Never worry about it 35 27.13%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2023, 07:42 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Just go with an HD truck and you will be just fine. And if you get Air Suspension both your truck and AS will be level. We use a 2020 Ram 2500 MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and 4.10 rear end with air suspension to tow our 2020 International 30RB. And we use a Blue Ox weight distribution/anti sway hitch with 1000 pound bars. Everything is level and stable. Makes for a great towing experience.
I always thought the weight distribution hitch and a proper drop shank was used to get things level not 'air suspension'.
But what do I know, always ready to lern.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-18-2023, 07:43 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
Yes, in a fatal accident. I've heard of it being done.
I've seen this comment many times but have never seen an example outside of commercial carriers.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
I've seen this comment many times but have never seen an example outside of commercial carriers.
I remember an incident a couple of years ago involving a boat trailer in California. They impounded it to weigh it and check the brakes. There were a number of fatalities.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:25 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
I remember an incident a couple of years ago involving a boat trailer in California. They impounded it to weigh it and check the brakes. There were a number of fatalities.

Yes. That was a commercial carrier.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:26 AM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

As a firm believer in overkill, we tow with a Silverado 2500. It is a four wheel drive with the Duramax and sun roof. The yellow payload sticker in the door show a maximum carrying capacity of 3,136 lbs.

Lucy's tongue weight is 980 lbs. The truck has an aluminum topper. We carry a lot of gear including a Honda 3000 generator and a complete set of tools. When you add passenger weight and full tank of fuel, I estimate a maximum of another 1,500 lbs. That puts us 600 lbs. under the tow vehicle maximum payload. We feel safe and confident with these figures. We are in the "never worry about it" category.

A tow vehicle with a 1650 lbs. payload would be insufficient for our camping style.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
Honestly not concerned - lots and lots of people blowing smoke about the hazards of payload, and no one has ever produced 1 shred of evidence that anyone cares but people on these forums……

Honestly though. I’ve talked to family members that drive semis, friends that have campers, and friends that are state Highway patrolman - very few of them knew what payload was, even fewer cared.

The ONLY reason I ever worried about payload, for a short time, was when I let these forums get me all riled up about it……
So I guess a Google search that shows hundreds of Attorneys advertising for and calling themself RV Accident Attorneys are just they waiting for that one case that just might happen someday. Here is an example of a few hundred that I have found.

https://injuryattorneyflorida.com/rv-accident-orlando/
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:51 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Payload and axle numbers are different things. You very much want to be under the axle limits. With the "normal" specs on most trucks, being under the axle limits also means being under the payload numbers. The reverse is not always true. You can be under payload and over axle limits (typically on the rear axle).

WD hitches are great things and they do help. However they do not adjust in 1 pound steps. On many trucks payload assumes you are right at limit on both axles. If that's the case on your truck *and* you are within 100 pounds of payload ... yikes. Your WD hitch just might shift things 100 pounds at a time. You either are over on the front or over on the back.

Another very basic problem: stuff accumulates. What you load on this trip isn't what you load on the next. If you enjoy heading over to the CAT scales for every trip, fine. If not, you probably want to have some margin in those numbers.

Finally, even if you are 2.3 pounds under all those limits, your rig may or may not be pleasant to drive at anything over 45 MPH. There's a lot more to this than just a couple of numbers.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
do you really need 4x4 and moonroof? Don't know if those are options you want but they are heavy and reduce payload. Actually every option reduces payload. I have been driving since 1968 and have never had a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Only the last two had limited slip diff. I have only gotten stuck in snow twice in all that time. Seems everyone wants 4x4 but I wonder how many ever make use of the feature.
Things to think about.
For what it is worth I am going to get a powerboost which also reduces payload but eliminates the need for a generator. This will also be my daily driver.
Agree that most of us don’t need 4wd, but In most parts of the country, you can’t get a 2wd truck without a factory order. I looked hard for one when we bought our current truck in 2018. Aside from a couple of stripped down work trucks, the nearest 2wd to MI was on the gulf coast. Even in locations that don’t get much snow dealers only order 4wd as they make more money on them. Ended up with a 4wd because we couldn’t wait for a factory order. Because of that, we have to watch our payload and weigh frequently.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
This guy got a billboard out saying "If you Been In A Commercial or RV Accident"

and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My F150 Lariat payload is 1660 lbs. Got over 45k on it towing a 27FB all over the western US, Canada, and Alaska. Payload hasn't been an issue. Truck is always under axle limits when weighed, usually with a couple hundred lbs to spare. The weight distribution hitch helps to balance tongue weight between rear, front, and trailer axles.

Just subtracting published hitch weight from published truck payload only provides a rough approximate answer to your question. A good weight distribution hitch will actually move a sizable amount of weight off the truck and onto the trailer. Also a lot matters on what you plan to load into the truck bed, how many people will sit inside the truck, and how much everybody weighs. I budgeted 200 lbs into the bed as we don't carry much back there, and 400 lbs for me, wife, and large dog in the cab. Its worked out fine the last 6 years of towing.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Saranac Lake , New York
Payload

Hi, I tow with a 2021 Chevy 1500 4x4 LT/Crew Cab/6ft6 in bed with max Tow Package. My allowable payload is 1930lbs, tow max 11,300 lbs, combined weight 16,800.
I go through a CAT scale a couple times a trip for my own benefit. Am under the payload max by about 300 lbs. 28 ft FC only weighs 7,000 lbs fully loaded with water tank full. Not even close to any of the other limits. I get 11-12 MPG when towing, 18-20 when not towing.
I’ve owned two 3/4 ton pickups in past for work and hated them unless heavily loaded. My truck is much better equipped for less money than a comparable 3/4 ton.
P.s. I wouldn’t consider 2WD if you tow often.
Condo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Looks like a fine, one owner used trailer in Post 19. Probably zero resell value.

We have used my scales to setup both trailers. We upgraded from the OEM 3,000 pound axles on the 2015 23D to 3,600 pound axles. Use the the same model 15" Michelin tires on with both axles but six lug wheels vs the OEM five lug wheels. Trailer scales 6,069 pounds camping ready. Use a ProPride hitch and the 2021 Land Cruiser tow vehicle is rated for up to a 8,100 pound trailer. No axle ratings of either vehicle are exceeded when on the road with all of our food and "stuff".

We use 42psi in the Michelin tires on the trailer and maximum side wall pressure on the Land Cruiser when towing. We use Firestone "in coil" air bags to reduce the sag of the soft rear springs of the LC. Airbags do NOT increase payload and we use 15 psi in them.

The DOT folks check that the tire ratings exceed the axle rating and the axle is/are not overloaded.The balance of the load may or may not be determinable depending on the damage from an accident and where all the stuff is spread out.

The weight distribution can move a percentage of the trailer weight to the tow vehicle which helps prevent sway and handling issues of the tow vehicle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The weight distribution hitch will move some of the hitch weight back onto the trailers axles, probably somewhere between 100 and 200 lbs.
Close. It moves some of the FORCE back onto the front axle and trailer axle, but it removes NO weight from the hitch. It only removes FORCE from the tow vehicle rear axle. If you think about it, the WDH is lifting the HITCH to left the rear of the tow vehicle, but all of the tongue weight is still on the hitch, only it is held a little higher.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Melrose Park , IL
I went through this two years ago.Any weight distribution hitch manufacturer will tell you the hitch will not replace, move or subtract from your hitch weight.I tried my best to find one that would. I went with 2021 Denali HD for the 2021 25FBQ Globetrotter and never looked back or think about payload. Good Luck!
Rich Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:51 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Good luck. If you're worried about it, run to a CAT Scale on your way out for a trip.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I have spent the last month looking at ACTUAL PAYLOADS for a Ford F150 Lariat, the largest that I have found is around 1650 lbs.

Gary
Our Payload is 1826. 2022 F150 Lariat Sport 5.0L v8, 4x4, 5.5’ bed, w/sunroof (enjoy it often), 36 gal tank, w/o max tow, w/o tailgate step. Our tongue weight is 550 at most.

Our 2022 increased our payload by 600 lbs from our 2018 Lariat 2.7L eco (1240 ish, don’t remember exactly). We were close to maxing payload, no room for extras

Bob
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Do you plan to only have your tow vehicle 5 years? Then I would venture that being near the limit is fine. Me, I tow with a truck that is WAY overrated for it's load. The sucker is 23 years old now and still totally reliable with almost no repairs! It feels totally safe and secure towing under all conditions that I would want to drive and in emergency situations. For those who balk against a 3/4 ton truck as being too big I ask, are they now making them physically larger than their 1/2 ton counterparts? Yes, they are heavier and the ride is a bit stiffer, but my 2000 GMC 3/4 ton looks identical to the 1/2 ton truck. In my case there is no difference using it as a daily driver other than a couple of mpg's and maybe a bounce or two.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:33 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
So I guess a Google search that shows hundreds of Attorneys advertising for and calling themself RV Accident Attorneys are just they waiting for that one case that just might happen someday. Here is an example of a few hundred that I have found.

The topic is payload. Your link says nothing about cause and doesn't give an example. Accidents happen in many ways.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:12 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
The brakes, transmission and suspension system are designed to handle the vehicle’s GVWR determined by the automaker. Exceeding these maximum ratings can dramatically shorten the life of your vehicle, potentially void warranty claims, endanger you and your family and other people on the road.

If you think I”m being dramatic, then check out what Ford says in the owner’s manual for the F-150 for example:

Keep your loaded vehicle weight within its design rating capability, with or without a trailer. Properly loading your vehicle provides maximum return of vehicle design performance.

WARNING: Once you have reached the maximum payload of your vehicle, do not add more cargo, even if there is space available. Overloading or improperly loading your vehicle can contribute to loss of vehicle control and vehicle rollover.

WARNING: Exceeding the Safety Compliance Certification label vehicle weight limits can adversely affect the performance and handling of your vehicle, cause vehicle damage and can result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury or death.

WARNING: Exceeding any vehicle weight rating can adversely affect the performance and handling of your vehicle, cause vehicle damage and can result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury or death.
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:52 PM   #40
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Castaway - why are you asking this question on Payload when there are many other weights to consider, like:
Rear Axle Weight Rating
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating

All those numbers are important to safe towing. Please look at any AS over 25’ towed by a Tundra and you will see an over payload combination. Since you are addressing F150’s, look for their High Payload Capacity version. Not sure what model can be used with this feature, but you should check it out.

Please ask for a Rear Axle rating in excess of 4,000 lbs, or you may be over that rating as well.

Ignore max towing rating, since none of those half tons are towing over 10,000 lbs.

Good luck sifting thru all the advice, and drop by an RV park and see what other folks are towing their trailers with.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote