Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Buy What YOU WANT... you will keep it longer

You may pay more up front, but if you are a good negotiator... avoid buying on impulse, but get what YOU Like. If you like what you purchased, you will keep it longer. Sticker Price is what the Dealer would like you to pay. Although in today's market, you may pay MORE than Sticker. Yep... true.

I like to purchase the previous year model, 'when it was possible' and the new model years were being delivered. If your used vehicle is a 'hot item', like our Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max was for trade in... great timing to buy, sell, or trade in used.

Our current Tow Vehicle was a new on the dealer's lot 2016 F350 4x4 Diesel King Ranch. It is absolutely the best 4x4 heavy duty pickup I have owned. Actually the first 1 ton, but by accident. The Dealer wanted to get rid of it in Denver.

We have two 4x4 vehicles. The other is a Toyota Land Cruiser 2021, last of the V8's. It will also hold its value. Sold our 2008 Land Cruiser for top dollar on Craigslist. Even had one buyer who would have flown out to pay for it and drive it back home. We sold it locally within 36 hours. They wanted to negotiate, but we had no reason. No new Land Cruisers at Toyota Dealerships, NO used models... again sold for a premium. We did not care and it had 75,000 miles. Most used ones that age were around 150,000 miles.

Ford recalled the F350 Diesel in for the DEF 'heater' system. That was recently and had a new one replaced under the general warranty at no cost. It failed about four weeks prior to the notice. Engine light came on.

People do not pay Top Dollar for the strip down models. People WILL Pay Top Dollar for well maintained upgraded models. You will also. They depreciate slower if you maintain yours.

Much like 2019 Airstream Trailers. Or 2019 Oliver Trailers. Solar, Lift, Tires, Wheels, interior upgrades get more buyers and you will think of yourself as some kind of Genius. Buy what YOU Like, but when it comes down to selling or trading for a new vehicle... it will pay off when you want to sell. (2019 Models I feel are the last of the BEST models.)

Do I want to sell the 2016 F350? No way. Do I want to sell the 2021 LC? No way.

I was looking for a F150 4x4. The F350 had everything... and a brilliant Maroon, Michelin Tires. The navigation failed after two years. Bought a Garmin Over Lander which make the Ford System like a compass and paper map in comparison... and cheaper in cost for the Garmin.

Buy what YOU Want... you will keep it longer. If it has the Bells, Whistles and paint job you like... and have good taste... it will pay for itself at Resale.

If you are bashful and feel intimidated dealing with the sales person, who takes your offer to the 'real decision maker'... have someone with you that enjoys to haggle. You do not need this, is the best attitude.

The Dealer wants to sell anything to you. Do not tell the salesman what you want for your Trade In. Haggle on that as well. If you walk... towards the door... they will catch up with you. We walked twice for the F350. Got the Ford Rubber Mats for the entire interior and bed... tossed in.

We love our current vehicles. We had fun negotiating. We do not plan to sell or upgrade either for some time.

Same with our Oliver and Airstream. But... if the price is right... sure will sit down and work out the numbers. Both trailers have everything we would have ever wanted.

I have to go look at each from time to time. I feel lucky having an understanding wife. She lets me drive the F350 and Tow which ever trailer I want. Our three Blue Heelers... like to travel and Boondock. You know... it is your turn to have some Fun. Do it today.

The End.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Yes - I typically keep things for a long time. I bought the Dodge diesel truck I wanted in 2010 - I still have it and it runs like a finely tuned sewing machine.
I bought a set of custom made Whites boots 20 years ago - still have them - they are really tough. Same for my USA made Red Wings boots, Carhardt clothing, LL Bean wool sweaters etc... Milwaukee cordless tools - just treated myself to a M18 impact driver and 1/2" impact wrench.

Buying good quality first and taking care of things and you will be money ahead!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Only two Airstream Owners have Common Sense? Buy today what you will put to use tomorrow... which could be years or decades.

I quit with the 2019 Airstream as it had the Propane, Batteries and Solar. I added the Lift of 3 as I should have known about with the 25 foot, but did not know. The 16 inch Michelins and Sendel wheels replaced the 15 inch Goodyear tires.

Airstream is going RV Park now. The customer base is changing to the 'suit and tie crowd' and the 'book and jean crowd' are being left behind.

Have my 2016 F350 Diesel 4x4 and shell. Have my 2019 27 foot (although would have preferred the 25 foot) and to cover all bases... 'invested' in the Oliver II Elite (23 foot Airstream closest comparison).

Our life style has always been Off the Grid Boondocking, which use to be Boondocking and before that... Trailer Park Boy camping.

When future tow vehicles go to all EV Pickups and Tow Vehicles... limited distances and become obsolete to what the 'now older generation' consider Trailer Camping Advantages. The longer trailers will become obsolete. New models will become smaller and lighter.

Will this become reality in the near future? Give it a few years. I can 'smell change'. I need to take the Blue Heelers out... times are changing and I am set in my ways.

A stubborn ol' coot. I say, and love every moment I pass a RV Park of immobile community campers.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I think that the smaller versions of AS are still boon docking-appropriate, though the longer models are certainly focusing on the private/state/national park campgrounds. We mostly stay at state parks that have electricity but nothing else and have found some nice, quiet spaces where your neighbors are not spitting distance.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The 23 double axle is the most mobile. You will later go to a 25 foot. Skip the 23, to the 25 foot models. Keep it for as long as you are willing to use it.

The 25 double axle is just as mobile and a lifetime keeper.

The 27 foot / 28 foot is just as mobile as the 25 foot once you have several years of understanding what you see ahead and visualize where your REAR BUMPER will clear or not. The 27FBQ axles are excellent. Adding the 23 inch lift and 16 inch Michelins... never had any problem. You will encounter a road that you can easily determine is not worth the risk over time.

For those really anxious to get back further, leveling blocks and two 2"x10"x4foot long pine board is also an option. Use the excess piece to put onto the ground for the leveling blocks to sit, when detaching.

You only need to get into the area to explore. Detach the trailer and drive ahead to get a look at the road and possible better campsites.

After you grain experience, your education and skill sets improve. We have walked some roads, parking the trailer, to estimate the difficulty or ease of getting to a potential campsite.

Airstreams are very adaptable. The construction and cabinet hinges are poor compared to an Oliver Elite travel trailer. Once everything within an Airstream is upgraded, secured and reinforced interior... it can keep up with an Oliver. Otherwise you are limiting yourself to RV Parks, parking lots and more crowded conditions. We make our opportunities.

A 30 foot Airstream can travel well on a Forest Service road, straddle ruts, if needed. The risk is the grade angle that may drag the rear bumper. With someone watching the rear bumper for, drag... and whenever I am not sure... I recheck what Nancy sees.

Teamwork and Experience. There are some trailer owners that would be advised to RV Parks. It is just not their 'thing'. We are not risk takers. We know what we are doing from years of experience. Calculated Risk is learned.