Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2023, 07:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Must have and wanna have F250/F350 options for towing?

Hi Folks,

Been looking at tow vehicles for a bit.

Have kinda narrowed things down to the F250/F350 trucks.

I would like to steer away from the usual diesel vs gas debate and just focus on the must have and good to have options when ordering a new truck (or choosing a recent model used truck).

The nice thing about Ford trucks is that they have a nearly infinite variety of options and packages. And the bad news is that they have a nearly infinite variety of options and packages, lol.

Sometimes what you want is cheaper if you spec it as an option (or an optional package) on a lower trim level. Sometimes the item becomes standard on the next trim level up and you are better off buying the next trim level because more useful towing features become available.

So... I really need some help from the experienced truck owners here.

Budget is a concern (am retired now) and spending a 100K on a truck isn't the best way to ensure that we don't run out of money before we croak, lol.

So, how do I get into a new F250/F350 for the least dough while getting all of the necessary and highly useful towing features.

I'll be dragging a 7600lb 2022 Globetrotter 27fb twin with approximately a 1000lb tongue weight.

Looking for a minimum of 2400lb payload capacity, but would prefer 2800-3000lb capacity so I can add a cab height cover (we used to call these camper shells) and carry e-bikes, generators, etc without worrying much about payload.

So, what are the must have and really wanna have tow features (including modern electronic towing aids like 360 degree top down view, etc) like electrically extending tow mirrors, brake controllers, transmission oil coolers, heavy duty hitches, etc and what is the lowest cost way to get them (minimum trim level plus options/packages).

Side note: Are there any references, guides, etc you could recommend that would help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #2
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I've owned two F150s and three F250s since 1978. I think an F350 with a tow package would be a good match for your trailer because of the tongue weight. The tow mirrors on my truck are the manual type and are easy to extend. The only thing I have added to my 2019 F250 suspension wise is a rear sway bar. The Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera system allows you to use the Ford trailer tpms and back up camera.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We also have 27 and had a 2021 F150Ecoboost and did not like it in the mountains. We had put a 2023 F250 on order with our dealer when we lucked into a nicely appointed low mile 2017 SuperDuty Diesel.
But since we did have a 2023 F250 Diesel on order, I can share what our thought process was on that.

1-If we order a new truck it has to last, and be a truck that we will want to use for a daily driver as well. It can't be like a stripped down work truck. Must haves were large crew cab, carpet, nice but not super fancy interior. We learned that basically you have to step into the lariat to get leather seats. Our F150 had cloth seats and they were fine, but we thought leather would be nicer longer. For a truck we would keep 10+ years we felt that was worth it to get the leather seats.

2-once you step into the lariat, then a lot of extras become standard.

3-pretty much any of the new 250/350s will probably have the towing capacity you want, but to be sure ,here is the full monty on towing from Ford.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...uide_Nov22.pdf

4-our 2017 version has the power folding tow mirrors. This is a very important feature. We are actually able to park in our garage at home, but the mirrors need to fold in to do this. Note--the hardest thing about parking was making sure it was not too tall. One of the reasons we bought the 2017 off the dealer lot is that we were able to test drive it on over to our house and make sure it would fit in the garage. Barely...

5-for the love of God you will need running boards. Ours are fixed vs some that are fancy and retract when you are moving.

6-Digging it-ours happened to have the full sunroof. Kind of nice. Ours happened to have the heated and cooled seats. Kind of nice. Ours happened to have the heated steering wheel. Kind of nice. Extra bonus, since ours is Old Skool (2017!!) it has a CD player.

7-What we gave up. Our 2021 F150 had the pro trailer back up assist. We don't have that on our 2017. It was cool in that you used a knob on the dashboard vs the steering wheel when you were backing up with the trailer. So you turned this knob vs having to do the counterintuitive trailer backing with the steering wheel. If you already have that down it's a cool factor vs necessity. We also gave up some of the fancy new cameras. But our AS has the rear view camera already and we are used to that. Again some things would be nice to have but you don't know what you're missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69661669338__EB86CDC6-5DE8-4BC1-9FC2-D0DA04FFC6D9.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	428177  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:55 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
I have a Lariat 2023 F250 7.3 Godzilla on order, I deposited in November 2022…. God knows when I will get it. I have an International 2023 FB Twin on order. I think (who knows the actual payload) about 2500-3000# payload. It is pretty loaded, but I didn’t order sun roofs and other pointless adders. My price was around $76K. I want/need 4WD, I bought all of the tech stuff.
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Per what XPCDOOJK said about pricing, our 2023 diesel that we had on order was similar price + the additional 10K add for the diesel. It was also the lariat with all the tech and towing stuff and not fancy stuff like sunroof, etc.

Piggy Bank
Old 02-16-2023, 08:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Thanks for the responses.

Let me start a list. Chime in if I miss something. Question marks mean that I am looking for help as to whether I need/want it.

Need/must have:

Running boards. Fixed are preferred and won't fail.
Power folding mirrors
Tow package?
Integrated brake controller
4x4 (4 wheel drive)
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)
10 speed transmission

Want (not a 100% deal breaker):

Leather seats?
20" wheels?

Questions:
Want best fuel economy. So, what differential ratio gives best fuel economy? With a 27fb, don't need max towing capacity.

Which tech packages do I want for towing? Would appreciate specific package or option order numbers if you can dig those up. And, a brief mention as to what is in the package that is desirable.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think you need to determine which "cab" you want. For us that was easy--we wanted the crew cab, which is the standard 4 door and has a large back seat.

Yes on 4x4.

As to gear ratio, I would ask the dealer. On whatever we initially chose, they recommended something else specific for trailer towing.

You say you want the best fuel economy. Why? Don't you mean that you want the best fuel economy once you have chosen the proper tool to get you the towing performance and capacity you require? We chose diesel because we wanted the engine braking, but if we would have gone with gas we would have chosen the godzilla and not the smaller engine.

As to trailer technology, I am a belts and suspenders kind of person. As long as you have the airstream rear view camera, good real mirrors, and a truck back up camera to hitch up the rest is extra bonus. We did like the blind spot technology that our F150 had-- you enter your trailer length when towing and the little orange light on your side view mirror goes lit when a vehicle is in your entire blind spot-truck and trailer. We don't have that on the 2017 we bought, but it does have the nice lower wide spot mirror.

Piggy Bank
Old 02-17-2023, 06:13 AM   #8
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Payment
Base MSRPS1 $60,900
Total of OptionsS4 $19,270
Destination ChargesS17 $1,795
Total MSRPS16 $81,965
Available IncentivesS3 -$0
Estimated Net PriceS5 $81,965

Model
2022 Ford Super Duty F-350 LARIAT Crew Cab, 6 3/4' Box, 6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel Engine, TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission, 3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio, 4X4, SRW $60,900
Edit
PaintS4
Iconic Silver $0
No Secondary Color $0
Edit
PowertrainS4
6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel Engine
4X4
TorqShift® 10-speed Automatic Transmission
3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio
Edit
PackagesS4
LARIAT Ultimate Package $3,845
LARIAT Sport Appearance Package $1,605
Camper Package $160
Edit
ExteriorS4
18" Bright Machined Cast Aluminum-Wheels with Magnetic Painted Pockets and Bright Hub Cover/Center Ornament $0
Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Rear $0
Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Front $130
Tailgate Step $0
Rear Window – Power-Sliding with Privacy Glass $0
Rear Window – Defrost with Privacy Glass $0
Wheel Well Liner – Front/Rear $325
BoxLink™ $0
Engine Block Heater $100
Remote Start System with Key $0
Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warning $0
Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly (ESOF) $0
Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank $100
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow $0
Reverse Sensing System $0
Alternator – Dual Heavy-Duty Alternators 397 Amp Capacity $0
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps/Taillamps and Fog Lamps $1,180
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps $95
LED Box Lighting $0
LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires $265
PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors $0
Platform Running Boards $0
Edit
InteriorS4
Black Onyx $0
Premium Leather-trimmed 40/Console/40 Front Seats $0
Multi-Contour Seat Delete $0
Power Heated/Ventilated Driver/Passenger Seat with Driver Side Memory $0
Easy Entry/Exit Memory Driver's Seat $0
Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers and Heated Steering Wheel $165
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller $0
Cruise Control $0
Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater (Diesel) $250
Advanced Security Pack $0
110-Volt/400-Watt AC Outlet $0
Universal Garage Door Opener $125
B&O™ Sound System by Bang & Olufsen with 10 speakers​ $0
SYNC® 4 with Enhanced Voice Recognition $0
DISCLOSURES
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 06:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I think you need to determine which "cab" you want. For us that was easy--we wanted the crew cab, which is the standard 4 door and has a large back seat.

Yes on 4x4.

As to gear ratio, I would ask the dealer. On whatever we initially chose, they recommended something else specific for trailer towing.

You say you want the best fuel economy. Why? Don't you mean that you want the best fuel economy once you have chosen the proper tool to get you the towing performance and capacity you require? We chose diesel because we wanted the engine braking, but if we would have gone with gas we would have chosen the godzilla and not the smaller engine.

As to trailer technology, I am a belts and suspenders kind of person. As long as you have the airstream rear view camera, good real mirrors, and a truck back up camera to hitch up the rest is extra bonus. We did like the blind spot technology that our F150 had-- you enter your trailer length when towing and the little orange light on your side view mirror goes lit when a vehicle is in your entire blind spot-truck and trailer. We don't have that on the 2017 we bought, but it does have the nice lower wide spot mirror.
You make a good point. After I determine the best set of towing features, I want to optimize mileage.

But, I don't need to push the maximum limits of the tow vehicle, so I don't need a differential with a ratio optimized for dragging heavy loads. This was more important when engines were less capable and we only had 6 speed transmissions.

With either a capable gasoline engine or diesel and a 10 speed transmission, the set of overall engine to wheel ratios available now will cover the range available when we needed a towing optimized differential along with the 6 speed tranny. So we now have the option of choosing a differential ratio that is optimized for fuel economy and let the engine and tranny ECU select the optimal overall ratio for climbing hills vs flat terrain, etc.

I don't have the charts handy, but others have mapped all possible engine to wheel ratios for the old 6 speed and differentials and have shown that the newer 10 speeds plus a higher differential ratio (from memory, I think the higher ratio means the engine runs at a lower rpm at any given speed) completely covers the old range when using a low ratio differential.

I hope this answers your question. Back to the topic at hand!
Old 02-17-2023, 06:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Payment

Base MSRPS1 $60,900

Total of OptionsS4 $19,270

Destination ChargesS17 $1,795

Total MSRPS16 $81,965

Available IncentivesS3 -$0

Estimated Net PriceS5 $81,965

Model

2022 Ford Super Duty F-350 LARIAT Crew Cab, 6 3/4' Box, 6.7L Power Stroke[emoji2400] V8 Turbo Diesel Engine, TorqShift[emoji2400] 10-speed Automatic Transmission, 3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio, 4X4, SRW $60,900

Edit

PaintS4

Iconic Silver $0

No Secondary Color $0

Edit

PowertrainS4

6.7L Power Stroke[emoji2400] V8 Turbo Diesel Engine

4X4

TorqShift[emoji2400] 10-speed Automatic Transmission

3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio

Edit

PackagesS4

LARIAT Ultimate Package $3,845

LARIAT Sport Appearance Package $1,605

Camper Package $160

Edit

ExteriorS4

18" Bright Machined Cast Aluminum-Wheels with Magnetic Painted Pockets and Bright Hub Cover/Center Ornament $0

Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Rear $0

Splash Guards/Mud Flaps – Front $130

Tailgate Step $0

Rear Window – Power-Sliding with Privacy Glass $0

Rear Window – Defrost with Privacy Glass $0

Wheel Well Liner – Front/Rear $325

BoxLink[emoji769] $0

Engine Block Heater $100

Remote Start System with Key $0

Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warning $0

Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly (ESOF) $0

Skid Plates – Transfer Case and Fuel Tank $100

BLIS[emoji2400] (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow $0

Reverse Sensing System $0

Alternator – Dual Heavy-Duty Alternators 397 Amp Capacity $0

Quad-Beam LED Headlamps/Taillamps and Fog Lamps $1,180

LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps $95

LED Box Lighting $0

LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires $265

PowerScope[emoji2400] Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors $0

Platform Running Boards $0

Edit

InteriorS4

Black Onyx $0

Premium Leather-trimmed 40/Console/40 Front Seats $0

Multi-Contour Seat Delete $0

Power Heated/Ventilated Driver/Passenger Seat with Driver Side Memory $0

Easy Entry/Exit Memory Driver's Seat $0

Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers and Heated Steering Wheel $165

Integrated Trailer Brake Controller $0

Cruise Control $0

Rapid-Heat Supplemental Cab Heater (Diesel) $250

Advanced Security Pack $0

110-Volt/400-Watt AC Outlet $0

Universal Garage Door Opener $125

B&O[emoji769] Sound System by Bang & Olufsen with 10 speakers​ $0

SYNC[emoji2400] 4 with Enhanced Voice Recognition $0

DISCLOSURES
Gracias Amigo!

Can you please share what payload this configuration resulted in?

I will need to harvest some must-haves from your list. Like locking rear diff ratio for 4x4, once I get back to my main computer instead of the cell phone app.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
If anybody has a towing feature optimized order form from a 2022 or 2023 F250/F350 truck order they are willing to share, feel free to send me a pm for my email address so you can scan and send it easier than typing it into Airforums (and to preserve your privacy). If you could share your payload sticker too (or what it is predicted to be, that would help a lot).
Old 02-17-2023, 07:04 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Sorry, we don't do Ford unless they be over 70 yrs old and can't rationalize diesel at $5.30/gal...but a 250 anything is all you need.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBBB65C7-49D1-4F1F-87DF-6DEA35B46398_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	428190  
Old 02-17-2023, 09:44 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The difference between the F250 and F350 is apparently a marketing guy deciding what's what. There is no real change in the vehicle as you cross the line between the two other than a minor bump in the springs. I would very much ignore that line in the sand and look at both models as if it was just one model.

Must have / probably should have:

The 20" wheels seem to be a bit more stable rolling down the road. I'd go with them unless height off the ground is a big deal.

Max tow with all the bells and whistles is certainly in the must category. Add power mirrors if they aren't part of that package.

Locking rear axle is cheap and well worth the cost. Even with 4x4 it will help get you un-stuck.

Camper option (if it's there) will add more payload / rear axle for very little money.

FX4 with skid plates. Not going to run the vertical wall climb race with this package, but it's good enough to deal with a lot of what you will run into.

Max payload package is usually cheap if it isn't already folded into the stuff above. Easier to spend the $200 and not wonder if you could have another 300 pounds of payload.

Things that might or might not matter:

Long bed to get the 48 gallon fuel tank. Extra range is a very nice thing.

Lane keeping assist package. They aren't perfect, but they do reduce fatigue on long drives.

If you have very tall or very short drivers in the mix, power seats are on the list.

LED headlights work very well for us. They throw a lot more light down the road.

Bed liner / bed cover. If they come from Ford, they are covered under the vehicle warranty.

Things that only you can decide:

Which engine to get. They all are pretty darn capable. We've debated each one to death in other threads.

Which trim level. We've done both the Platinum and the King Ranch. You do get more as you pay more ( how shocking .... ). You also take a payload hit if you go to crazy.

How many alternators and how many batteries. The stock setup works fine. More may well be better if you rig a fancy feed to the trailer.

Fog lights. I like them and use them, it's not clear you really *need* them.

Steps to get in the back. There are two versions. I've tried them both. For a "Bob sized" person ... not super. For somebody a bit smaller, might be more useful.

Mud flaps / wheel well covers (or inserts). They help in the muck. How much they help and how much you are in the much .... very much up to you.

That's a quick list based on the F250 and F350 we've ordered in over the last few years.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Mount Zion , Illinois
My two cents:

I have F-250 and my brother has the F-350. We both have about the same trailer as you. Mine is a 27' FB International.

I think the F-350 is overkill. A must have is the 7.3 L engine. 4x4 is needed if you live where you get snow or want good resale. A few times 4WD has been helpful getting trailer out of a steep driveway in a campsite.

I have the longer wheel base, but I can't remember the numbers. I also have the lower geared rear end. The extending trailer mirrors are a necessity, otherwise I would not see jack behind me. The rear camera makes hooking up a lot easier. I don't have front camera, but I've not found that I miss it. Ford has towing packages, I've found, almost all of their super duty trucks, so you probably will be in good shape if you make sure the one you're looking at is a super duty.

Hope this helps!
TV: F-250, 7.3L Gas Engine
nadrad314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:01 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The difference between the F250 and F350 is apparently a marketing guy deciding what's what. There is no real change in the vehicle as you cross the line between the two other than a minor bump in the springs. I would very much ignore that line in the sand and look at both models as if it was just one model.
Yes, it's mainly a marketing decision, the reason being that some states charge higher registration fees for vehicles with GVWR over 10,000 lbs. The 250/2500's are rated just under that number but they are essentially the same truck.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I don't know about Ford or Ram, but the Slide-in Camper Package on the GMC HD trucks provides increased front GAWR, but doesn't change the rear GAWR.

Cheers,

Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
Easy question: easy answer.
F-350!
Go with the package you want. I’d recommend a work truck with rubber floors, so when you do croak, it will be easy to sell to a construction worker.
If you want more payload, don’t limit yourself to the 350 and think F-450 or bigger.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Hi Folks,

Been looking at tow vehicles for a bit.

Have kinda narrowed things down to the F250/F350 trucks.

I would like to steer away from the usual diesel vs gas debate and just focus on the must have and good to have options when ordering a new truck (or choosing a recent model used truck).

The nice thing about Ford trucks is that they have a nearly infinite variety of options and packages. And the bad news is that they have a nearly infinite variety of options and packages, lol.

Sometimes what you want is cheaper if you spec it as an option (or an optional package) on a lower trim level. Sometimes the item becomes standard on the next trim level up and you are better off buying the next trim level because more useful towing features become available.

So... I really need some help from the experienced truck owners here.

Budget is a concern (am retired now) and spending a 100K on a truck isn't the best way to ensure that we don't run out of money before we croak, lol.

So, how do I get into a new F250/F350 for the least dough while getting all of the necessary and highly useful towing features.

I'll be dragging a 7600lb 2022 Globetrotter 27fb twin with approximately a 1000lb tongue weight.

Looking for a minimum of 2400lb payload capacity, but would prefer 2800-3000lb capacity so I can add a cab height cover (we used to call these camper shells) and carry e-bikes, generators, etc without worrying much about payload.

So, what are the must have and really wanna have tow features (including modern electronic towing aids like 360 degree top down view, etc) like electrically extending tow mirrors, brake controllers, transmission oil coolers, heavy duty hitches, etc and what is the lowest cost way to get them (minimum trim level plus options/packages).

Side note: Are there any references, guides, etc you could recommend that would help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance.
If you are going to keep the truck for the long run order a Lariat - Ultimate package. You get just about everything that comes with the Platinum for 10 percent less with all the bells and whistles that makes owning one for many years.
I have a 2017 F-250 Lariat-Ultimate and I haven't been tempted by anything the newer trucks have that would entice me to trade.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sorry, we don't do Ford unless they be over 70 yrs old and can't rationalize diesel at $5.30/gal...but a 250 anything is all you need.

Bob
🇺🇸
We don't do anything but Ford and I love the sound and smell of a diesel.
Pure raw power. :-))
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaggs View Post
Easy question: easy answer.
F-350!
Go with the package you want. I’d recommend a work truck with rubber floors, so when you do croak, it will be easy to sell to a construction worker.
If you want more payload, don’t limit yourself to the 350 and think F-450 or bigger.
Why stp?...go for the 550 & brag .

Bob
🇺🇸

Or maybe a 350 Semi conversion...