Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
Ford offers 2 packages to increase towing/hauling performance. One is a maximum towing package that includes most of the things that the GM package does. In addition to that, Ford also offers a HDPP package that increases the payload to near-3/4 ton levels. Over the years this package has been available on different trims (originally XL, XLT, & Lariat), recently only on XL & XLT, and currently only on XL trims.
Yes, that’s right.

The GMC package also increases payload compared to trucks without the package. Most of the components in this package can be ordered separately, with the exception of the heavy duty rear axle and springs. Historically, Denali trucks could not be ordered with the Max Trailering Package. Denalis already have all the components in that package as standard equipment aside from the heavy duty rear axle and springs.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:16 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
It seems that Ford (and probably GM) really do want to push you into the 3/4 ton line presumably so you can package up your vehicle at a premium.

The latest from the dealer confirms that the HDPP is only offered on the XL model. Currently, the only "convenience" items that are offered and available (again, according to this dealer) is the 400w outlet in the cab and LED box lighting. The 2kw pro-power outlet in the bed is unavailable as is remote start. I am able to get it the copilot 360 which I think means I get the Apple Play head unit. I can also order it with the manual tow mirrors which is a small victory, I guess. Not a lot of truck at $57k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-27 091858.png
Views:	98
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	423111  
Old 09-27-2022, 07:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I agree that the manufacturers are trying to push people into the HD trucks. Most people (including dealers and salespeople) have limited knowledge on the more obscure options for half ton trucks. It’s easier to simply move towards the HD trucks.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
The 9.75" axle in the HDPP is the only non-"bolt-on" feature. It increases the GAWR to 4500#. Everything else can be added separately or even purchased after market (including HD springs which can be swapped without specialized equipment). As to to what degree that makes an HDPP equipped F-150 a safer vehicle, I don't know - it doesn't change the braking or strengthen the frame. I'm not aware of many (if any) folks that are at or above their payload capacity while towing a trailer that are having axle problems on their truck (within reason of course). Certainly, it means more wear on the axle over the long term.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think you're over analyzing things. Lots of folks safely tow 27 foot Airstreams with a regular F150. It sounds like your truck would really be used as a daily driver, and occasional tow vehicle. An XLT SuperCrew model, 5'6" bed should be easily configured with close to 2,000 lbs payload. Your hitch, configured correctly, should transfer a couple hundred lbs hitch weight back onto the trailer. Avoid the sunroof, the off road FX4 package, power running boards, and maybe consider 2WD if you want max payload.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #26
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2513 View Post
The 9.75" axle in the HDPP is the only non-"bolt-on" feature. It increases the GAWR to 4500#. Everything else can be added separately or even purchased after market (including HD springs which can be swapped without specialized equipment). As to to what degree that makes an HDPP equipped F-150 a safer vehicle, I don't know - it doesn't change the braking or strengthen the frame. I'm not aware of many (if any) folks that are at or above their payload capacity while towing a trailer that are having axle problems on their truck (within reason of course). Certainly, it means more wear on the axle over the long term.
I haven’t seen a current model technical brochure, but have seen one from a few years ago. There were several different frame rail thicknesses used in the F150 depending on wheelbase, cab, GVWR, and HDPP option. So it did strengthen the frame then.

Agree that you don’t need the HDPP as long as you are judicious with the other options.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Probably true that I'm overthinking the payload issue. With as much as you read about it on this forum (and others), its easy to get wrapped up in it as a hard requirement. Ford makes some odd choices in their vehicle configurator; for instance, you can't simultaneously add 18" LT tires and the Max Trailer Tow Package

Without the limitations of the HDPP, I'm going to expand the search to include the GM 1500 trucks with the 6.2L engine which looks like I could get in a higher trim level at a lower price.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Plymouth , Michigan
Quote:
It seems that Ford (and probably GM) really do want to push you into the 3/4 ton line presumably so you can package up your vehicle at a premium.

The latest from the dealer confirms that the HDPP is only offered on the XL model. Currently, the only "convenience" items that are offered and available (again, according to this dealer) is the 400w outlet in the cab and LED box lighting. The 2kw pro-power outlet in the bed is unavailable as is remote start. I am able to get it the copilot 360 which I think means I get the Apple Play head unit. I can also order it with the manual tow mirrors which is a small victory, I guess. Not a lot of truck at $57k.
Referring back to the 2023 F150 Order Guide that I linked in a prior post here, I see your sales person wrote up the DORA w/ the Standard 101A Equipment Group Package but you could have stated you wanted the 102A High Equipment Package that includes (far right column in excerpt pic)
- Copilot 360
- Sync 4 With 8" touch screen
- Cloth seats
- Rear window defroster
Plus any the Free Standing options that interest you in that same column listed below in the L section.
Also, skip the Ford spray in bed liner, hit up your local Line-X applier, much better product.

Yes, the order you posted does look pricey for the content. You're definitely entering HD pickup territory.
Do you have access to someone who can get you an X-Plan PIN? Take some of the sting out of the price as long as you're ordering, a lot of dealers are honoring X-Plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAB230.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	423127  
SVTRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2024 20' Basecamp
Lake Norman , North Carolina
I’m really glad we got our Ford truck when we did. I would not want to be pushed into a bigger truck to get better payload.
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
If you're set on HDPP I did a write up a while back on how to find one used. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...de-231072.html. I was only looking for the lariat trim, but you should be able to use that guide to find an XLT if you want. Not as fun as buying a new truck, but it's an option for you.
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:32 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStreamy_ View Post
If you're set on HDPP I did a write up a while back on how to find one used. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...de-231072.html. I was only looking for the lariat trim, but you should be able to use that guide to find an XLT if you want. Not as fun as buying a new truck, but it's an option for you.
Thank you for this - I actually found it a few weeks ago on my own. After several hours searching around, I took a break. There’s just not many out there…
BT2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
I made a half ton work with my 25’ and GMC 1500 AT4 (so with a measly 1500lbs payload exceeded by most cars and all minivans). It can be done and to be honest the truck was able to complete all I asked of it which was a lot here in the mountain west. I spent a fair amount of time worrying about weight and packing, many trips to the cat scales to get things sorted, even put lithium batteries in the back to switch weight off the tongue.

When I started the journey I was pretty happy with being technically correct that I could tow my setup within the limits and have a half ton truck. I presumed that the manufacturers were just profit seeking when they obviously forced buyers towards heavy duty trucks.

But looking back now on 4 years of it I realize that what the manufacturer is really doing here is trying to tell the people who actually use a truck for truck things that the half tons are fancy cars that can be used as a truck when forced to… they only come in 4 doors with tiny beds and soft comfortable suspensions on purpose. That’s their bread and butter and they sell most that never tow. Supposedly almost all the HD trucks are used as trucks.

In summary, yes I was technically correct in using my half ton, yes it could do exactly what the specs said it could in terms of pulling and carrying weight, it was a pretty good ride over all when used lightly… It was pretty terrible when used as capacity though and I would wager GM would love to say I told you so but they won’t because that would undermine the image of their big tough truck.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
Sounds like a good reason to get a Ram

1500 Crew Cab, Standard bed overall length: 241.8"

2500 Crew Cab, Standard bed overall length: 238.8

Too many compromises to consider a short bed truck IMO.

Ram 2500 CC, Standard Bed Turning Circle is 48'
The 1500 RAM, though nice inside, does not have the "payload" capacity for a 27' AS....been there and discussed at length with RAM dealer(s) and they stear me to the 3/4 or 1T. Pricing and other features are great on the 1500...just not designed for towing a larger AS. I see folks doing it who will swear it works great...until you challenge them on the payload on their door sticker..still, nice truck. Same goes for Tundra...GM and Ford 1/2T offer more payload in the XLT and Sierra trim packages.

If you want to avoid the 3/4T or 1T, I would agree with others and seek one with HD payload and towing packages on the base models...not going to be a "fully loaded" like Platinum or King Ranch or Sierra, likely however...but, you can gussy up the lesser models like the XLT without breaking the bank and accomplish your towing goals.

If you were primarily going to tow your AS, I would say get the 3/4T or 1T diesel models of GM or Ford or even RAM...DEF is not an "issue" once you understand how it works. DEF capacity is 7.2GA; I have never let it get below 1/3 full... I carry an extra 2 1/2 gal jug from Walmart on long trips, but rarely does my tank go lower than half full on the while I am traveling. 1 jug will last a pretty long time (3-5K miles?) towing. Big deal to me is the power of the diesel and the engine brake while in cruise control with distance monitors set. Really takes a lot of stress out of towing on long trips. But, as mentioned, for a daily driver, can be a pain to park. Fuel is a bit more expensive, and oil changes are around $100~ depending on where you are. Just have to balance if you want to have a very capable tow vehicle and how much you intend to use your AS.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:29 AM   #34

2017 30' Classic
Rochester , Minnesota
BT2513, lots of good info here. I to looked into ordering and 2023 F150 XLT with max payload only to find out, that for now, it was only being able offered on the XL model. I had my dealer do a search and luckily we found one with Max Payload, although it was 650 miles away. The dealer wouldn't do a dealer trade or dealer sell so I ultimately purchased it and had to fly down and pick it up. I got the crew cab 6.5' box, medium options pkg, 4x4, and off road package. Like the truck. I pulled my 30' Classic with it about 15 miles in a 12mph wind and it handled well. 2440 pounds of payload capacity.

Recommend you have your dealer do a nationwide search for Max payload. They're scarce but you might get lucky. Should be no problem to tow a 27'. My unit grosses at 10K but I'm rarely above 9K when travelling.

Good Luck!
Bpcrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
If you want to avoid the 3/4T or 1T, I would agree with others and seek one with HD payload and towing packages on the base models...not going to be a "fully loaded" like Platinum or King Ranch or Sierra, likely however...but, you can gussy up the lesser models like the XLT without breaking the bank and accomplish your towing goals.

:
This does not appear to be the case for 2023. I priced out two trucks - one is pictured above and is an XL trim with the HDPP with every available option (which isn't many). Another I priced out yesterday is an XLT without the HDPP (bc its not available anymore at that trim) and has a few more options than the XL provides but not much (XLT High Eq. Group, Max Trailer Tow, sliding rear windows, 2kw Pro Power which isn't currently available). This truck came out to $64k - about $1-2k more than a Sierra HD in SLE trim.

You are right that I have to decide what is more important. The primary use of the vehicle will be a daily driver but will also be my tow vehicle for the weekend trips and occasional 5-10 day excursion. Gas mileage isn't really a huge factor but I believe I would be blowing through a ton of DEF and probably not realizing the full benefit of a diesel. My daily commute is about 5miles round trip. The diesel wouldn't even be warmed up by the time I got to work. I found on a previous trip that we went through DEF much faster around town than on the highway. We definitely had to refill in a 1300 mile trip.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
I am also active in the off-road community, and I know of a number of others who have half-ton short bed trucks that have significantly beefed up suspensions with Dana 60 or Ford 9 inch rear ends. One of these set ups in combination with air bags or larger rear spring packs should be at least the equivalent of Ford’s heavy duty payload package, and you could load the truck up with all the options you desire.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1956 22' Safari
Lafayette , Louisiana
Have you looked at the F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel? My 2018 had higher payload/towing than the gas models when I bought it, and better fuel economy. Over 100k and still making 29mph with no tow.
Jsvidrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbackpacker View Post
I made a half ton work with my 25’ and GMC 1500 AT4 (so with a measly 1500lbs payload exceeded by most cars and all minivans). It can be done and to be honest the truck was able to complete all I asked of it which was a lot here in the mountain west. I spent a fair amount of time worrying about weight and packing, many trips to the cat scales to get things sorted, even put lithium batteries in the back to switch weight off the tongue.

When I started the journey I was pretty happy with being technically correct that I could tow my setup within the limits and have a half ton truck. I presumed that the manufacturers were just profit seeking when they obviously forced buyers towards heavy duty trucks.

But looking back now on 4 years of it I realize that what the manufacturer is really doing here is trying to tell the people who actually use a truck for truck things that the half tons are fancy cars that can be used as a truck when forced to… they only come in 4 doors with tiny beds and soft comfortable suspensions on purpose. That’s their bread and butter and they sell most that never tow. Supposedly almost all the HD trucks are used as trucks.

In summary, yes I was technically correct in using my half ton, yes it could do exactly what the specs said it could in terms of pulling and carrying weight, it was a pretty good ride over all when used lightly… It was pretty terrible when used as capacity though and I would wager GM would love to say I told you so but they won’t because that would undermine the image of their big tough truck.

Concur. In my case, I have a 20FB, so my 1500 AT4 is fine; but if I was up into a dual-axle range (25', 27', etc.), I'd switch to the 2500.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
This does not appear to be the case for 2023. I priced out two trucks - one is pictured above and is an XL trim with the HDPP with every available option (which isn't many). Another I priced out yesterday is an XLT without the HDPP (bc its not available anymore at that trim) and has a few more options than the XL provides but not much (XLT High Eq. Group, Max Trailer Tow, sliding rear windows, 2kw Pro Power which isn't currently available). This truck came out to $64k - about $1-2k more than a Sierra HD in SLE trim.

You are right that I have to decide what is more important. The primary use of the vehicle will be a daily driver but will also be my tow vehicle for the weekend trips and occasional 5-10 day excursion. Gas mileage isn't really a huge factor but I believe I would be blowing through a ton of DEF and probably not realizing the full benefit of a diesel. My daily commute is about 5miles round trip. The diesel wouldn't even be warmed up by the time I got to work. I found on a previous trip that we went through DEF much faster around town than on the highway. We definitely had to refill in a 1300 mile trip.
If you get the payload above 2000lbs, and you take it easy in mountains, you should be fine, assuming you also have the Max Trailer tow package; I went to "build" on the Ford page just now, and I see that this package is available with all of there trucks, with engine choices, in Super Crew and the 5.1/2' bed. I loved the Echoboost when I had it. Priced out at $68K including all the bells and whistles I would want...electric running boards, trailer mirrors, heavy duty tow package, B&O sound/navigation system, 360 view package, 20" wheels, etc...not sure the payload, but expect it would be above 2000lbs without the sunroof option?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:20 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
If you get the payload above 2000lbs, and you take it easy in mountains, you should be fine, assuming you also have the Max Trailer tow package; I went to "build" on the Ford page just now, and I see that this package is available with all of there trucks, with engine choices, in Super Crew and the 5.1/2' bed. I loved the Echoboost when I had it. Priced out at $68K including all the bells and whistles I would want...electric running boards, trailer mirrors, heavy duty tow package, B&O sound/navigation system, 360 view package, 20" wheels, etc...not sure the payload, but expect it would be above 2000lbs without the sunroof option?
Yes - the Max Trailer Tow package is available for all the F-150 models.

I wouldn't be so sure on the payload. My buddy's F-150 Platinum with 3.5EB has less payload capacity than my Tahoe. No idea on the sound system but I believe the electric running boards are heavy. The sunroof is definitely a factor. Any level of appearance trim seems to be a factor.