Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool Ride discomfort from Heavy-Duty Payload Package?

Is the additional load-weight reserve afforded by the optional Heavy-Duty Payload Package worth the possibie ride discomfort that it may cause?

We will be Full-Time and plan to order a 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat as both our TV and our "Regular Ride."

Our planned TV will be a 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 SuperCrew with a 157" WB, Max-Tow pkg, Off-Road pkg, 3.55 axle ratio, and, 20" AT tires.

Will the "stiffness" of the "ride" be THAT noticeable?

Thanks.
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Ride" explains is objective.. what do you perceive..?

Our 2500HD Chevy rides great.. when loaded, it rides better!! Add 500# in the truck bed... and that is the sweet spot. My Dad would weld a steel shaft, about that weight to all of his trucks... as they were often "empty", this made a big difference...

When we hook our AS to the 2500... it is all good...

With your truck, check if you have "helper"'springs as part of the package you mention... if so, those only kick in under sufficient load.. the rest of the ride is smoother when not loaded.

My son and DIL have a 2017.. similar Ford... rides great unloaded..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Point Pleasant , New Jersey
Question for you

What is the make and model of your trailer?

We have a 30 ft FC bunk and if we were full timing would need f250/2500 without a doubt.

Currently we have a GMC 3500 and on most highways it is smooth and very comfortable. A bumpy roadway not so much.

But fulltiming I would need a cap and/or some type of bed organizer as that adds weight before you bring your gear.
thoreau2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I didn't think that Lariat, FX4, 20" wheels and heavy duty payload were able to be combined on an order?

The FX4 package would soften out most of what the HDP would stiffen up. I would recommend finding some 18" wheels you like, as that would go a long way to add sidewall impact absorption compared to thin 20"sidewalls.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I too would recommend the Ford 18" HD wheels (they come with the HDP package). It will not look as good but you would get better mileage with a 3.55 and have a better payload number. My recent check on 2017 F150s resulted in the same numbers when I calculated it for my 2015. The 10 speed did not change the figure much due to the same wheel diameter and final drive 3.55.

Ride quality - I have a 2015 but the design is the same as the 2016-2018. There is a difference between the ride of the regular chassis and the HD chassis. It is a truck and the more tow/haul capability, the rougher it will get regardless of brand. Chevy and Dodge went a different route using coils to offer a better ride at the expense of some payload. Ford just stayed with leaf springs as it is the only tech that offers heavy stable payload without having to counter sway in loads. This is not a bias, just a matter of fact. As to your choice. My only ride is my truck and it rides nicely for a truck with the Max tow. Bumps do cause some jar at times in the rear. A load does away with that. Test drive a HD chassis model max payload and a standard chassis- I forget the cutoff - 6900# or so for standard I believe versus more for the HDP. Even tires make a big difference D versus E rated is a significant change. I changed my truck tires on a previous model and it was QUITE a difference in ride quality. Same for the trailer. That is why I have questioned running trailer tires E rated at their 80 psi max. You might arrive at the campground, open the door and find your AC and fridge in the floor!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool Right you are, RandyNH.

Trying to combine the MAXpayload pkg with the 4x4 pkg is actually not allowed for the F-150 Lariat. We will have to choose between the two.

If we want to travel all over the country, mountains and beaches and all, while we full-time in our 25'RB signature, which would you think is the better choice?

Will the 4x4 give us better towing stability on the road, or is best used at low speed in snow, or off road in sand or mud?

The MAXPayload pkg can add 600 lbs or more to the amount that the F-150 Lariat can safely carry. However, its drawback my be a stiffer, more uncomfortable ride.

We thank you all for any advice you graciously extend to us.

Sue & Dan
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you're interested in a F150 EcoBoost based vehicle, that rides and handles well with and without the Airstream (daily driver), take a look at the Expedition. Shorter wheelbase for easy maneuvering, independent suspension front AND rear for much better stability and no heavy differential bouncing around, coil springs all around for smoother ride, and safer protection for your gear inside the vehicle. A very capable, more stable tow vehicle and nice daily driver compared to a pickup.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I would shop carefully for a higher payload (using door sticker max load rating) for a 4WD non-HD payload model. My thought. You are not going to be bouncing around with a 1000# plus tongue weight and you can test drive the trucks without the trailer easily to compare. If you get around an 1800# payload, would that be enough for you minus your tongue weight? My Lariat is 1720# but 2wd with locker.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
We have a 30 Ft FC Bunk. We tow with a 2016 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Just finished 5000 mile trip NC to Wyoming. Averaged 14 MPG. Don't judge me - drove 70-75 MPH most of the highway trip. Try to top that. It is an amazing truck!!! Didn't use a drop of oil.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
smoothing out those bumpy roads with an empty truck may be done with the right shocks.
Driving an empty 2013 F250 Platinum 4x4, the stock Ranchos would rattle our teeth and kidneys over bumpy dirt roads in the California mountains (namely Sequoia Natl Park and points south).
I was very impressed with how a set of Pro Comp ProRunners really smoothed things out.
YMMV
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
Maybe you know this Jim(?)

Towing your AS at 70-75 mph exceeds the tire ratings on the stock AS. My 2016 International tires show 65 mph max. Maybe you have different tires but in any case it is something to look at. Happy towing!
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Tow vehicle

I saw one comment here about my GMC having coils in the back. I assure you my truck a slt 1500 with max tow package 6.2 engine, 8 speed, 3.55 diff, 4x4 crew cab has leaf springs in the back. I'm able to load 1900 lbs dead weight and tow 12000 lbs with ease. I pull a 34 down the highway up hill or down with ease and my speed is only controlled by the tire rating on my trailer. If I'm not towing it rides like most GMs,very smooth and comfortable.
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
Is the additional load-weight reserve afforded by the optional Heavy-Duty Payload Package worth the possibie ride discomfort that it may cause?

We will be Full-Time and plan to order a 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat as both our TV and our "Regular Ride."

Our planned TV will be a 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 SuperCrew with a 157" WB, Max-Tow pkg, Off-Road pkg, 3.55 axle ratio, and, 20" AT tires.

Will the "stiffness" of the "ride" be THAT noticeable?

Thanks.
Are you buying a truck due to the amount and type of stuff you carry? Is 4WD a necessity for solo trips? In other words, don't assume a pickup is necessary otherwise.

The suggestion above about a Ford Expedition is spot on. And I'll throw in about a Nissan NV V8 passenger van. Either is a better choice than a pickup from roadgoing concerns. Many others besides.

A truck is a truck. There are aftermarket suppliers of custom-valved shock absorbers which would be the right direction on a pickup ride quality suggestion. FOX or KING, for example. That would be worth the research to find a firm to tune one of their many offerings for you.

If the truck bed is near empty most of the time, I'd suggest another vehicle.

Somehow my parents and grandparents travelled the US, Mexico and Canada with cars pulling this trailer type. This trailer was originally designed for that.

Take your time. CAN AM RV website is a good place to start, and the owners column "Hitch Hints" in RV Lifestyle magazine is an education.

Ride quality is a legitimate concern. Pickups are far better than they used to be, but the design of the thing is for work in carrying a payload. All it's compromises are in that service.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
If we want to travel all over the country, mountains and beaches and all, while we full-time in our 25'RB signature, which would you think is the better choice?

Will the 4x4 give us better towing stability on the road, or is best used at low speed in snow, or off road in sand or mud?
I think that after driving the HDP for a month you wouldn't even notice the difference in any harshness anymore.

The 4x4 is ONLY a slow speed correction, it will offer no more stability "on road" at normal travel speed. But you mention beaches and if your thinking of any boondocking, then wet grass is probably in your future and getting everything moving from a stop or dip is where it will save you the embarrassment and time of having to find someone to help get you out.

I'm not a gadget, bling or leather kind of person, I would figure out what about the Lariat are my must haves and add each seperately if necessary, to max out an XLT 4x4 max tow HDP

If resale is a part of your consideration, then the 4x4 is usually a benefit, unless trying to sell in the extreme South or big city.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvollans View Post
I saw one comment here about my GMC having coils in the back. I assure you my truck a slt 1500 with max tow package 6.2 engine, 8 speed, 3.55 diff, 4x4 crew cab has leaf springs in the back. I'm able to load 1900 lbs dead weight and tow 12000 lbs with ease. I pull a 34 down the highway up hill or down with ease and my speed is only controlled by the tire rating on my trailer. If I'm not towing it rides like most GMs,very smooth and comfortable.

Oops, it was me lumping those GM trucks in with RAM. Excuse me.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
I don't have stock tires. Replaced with Michelin Defenders.
jim6090 is offline   Reply With Quote