Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #1

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
Shattered side window on 2021 Flying Cloud

In a bonehead move, I shattered a side window on our new AS when trying to unstick it from the gasket. Shoulda checked the forum first on how to unstick safely..

The local AS dealer's service department is backed up 4-5 weeks and the parts person quotes about $800 for the glass and frame. Since the frame is riveted in and all I need is the glass, I don't see the necessity of changing out the frame. I called some local glass and RV service places and they either want nothing to do with an AS or, in the case of the glass shop, quoted me a long process involving cutting the glass, getting it tempered, etc. etc. Since the glass needs the holes to fasten the hinge, the arms, and the locks, there seems to me to be a lot of room for error and "oh, ****" moments in that process.

Where can I get the glass with the holes in the right places? In looking at the pieces I have left, it appears that the arms and fittings can just be bolted on.

Apologize if this has already been answered on the forum; my check of the first few pages did not reveal an answer.

Thanks

Walt Anacortes, WA
wguterbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Welcome to the forums!

Based on your location, I'm assuming you contacted Airstream Adventures Northwest of Seattle. I don't know that their inventory system shows stock at their other locations. So you might try calling their Portland, Oregon and Boise, Idaho locations. And then there is Sutton RV of Eugene, Oregon.

When I had the big end window break in a wind storm the Portland store had a replacement on the shelf. Came with the brackets already mounted for about $260, but that was 5 years ago.

Because of the tinting, mounting brackets, and curvature finding someone to custom build a replacement won't be cost effective. But if you can't find a replacement by calling around, a shop that works with plexiglass might be able to cut and drill a piece for the short term.

I use Aerospace 303 on my window seals to keep the glass from sticking.

Good luck.

Burnside

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
You only need the glass. This is a DIY repair takes about 20 minutes.

Any good parts department will drop ship you the new glass from airstream. I broke a window a long while back and colonial airstream arranged the new one to be sent to me from JC. $800 is absurd (parts guy has no idea what he is doing if he is quoting you a new frame). Glass only is $300-$400.

Google is your friend.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Hi Again.

Turns out there is someone selling side windows from a 2018 in the classifieds. Check out these listings:

https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com...-nevada-362778
https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com...-nevada-362779

Wulfraat is right about this being a simple repair. You slide the new glass in the track and hook up the lift arms and done.

Burnside

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Oxford , MS
[QUOTE=wguterbock;2514611]In a bonehead move, I shattered a side window on our new AS when trying to unstick it from the gasket. Shoulda checked the forum first on how to unstick safely..

The local AS dealer's service department is backed up 4-5 weeks and the parts person quotes about $800 for the glass and frame. Since the frame is riveted in and all I need is the glass, I don't see the necessity of changing out the frame. I called some local glass and RV service places and they either want nothing to do with an AS or, in the case of the glass shop, quoted me a long process involving cutting the glass, getting it tempered, etc. etc. Since the glass needs the holes to fasten the hinge, the arms, and the locks, there seems to me to be a lot of room for error and "oh, ****" moments in that process.

I did the exact same thing! Our dealer ordered the whole window, but only replaced the glass, saving a lot on labor. All total cost me $682
BlakeSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #6

San Antonio , Texas
Woodland Airstream online parts department.

Woodland Airstream has the 30 and 18 inch windows for 280 and 208 respectively.
AirStreamFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Pensacola , FL
I have owned an automotive restoration and repair business most of my adult life. If you are reasonably handy with your mechanical ability, you and another can remove and replace the glass without an extreme effort. It is much easier than removing an automotive glass, that I promise. But if you are uncomfortable with working with glass than just have a shop replace it.
Joseph Sessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #8
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Just Order the Glass

Same thing happened to us last November. Call around to Airstream dealer parts departments and have them ship just the glass. It comes with everything you need to reattach. It looked like installation would be difficult so we had a mobile guy do it. Turns out, that was unnecessary: it's easy to install and takes less than ten minutes. Should cost between $300-$400 with shipping costs to your location.

Cheers!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #9

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington

Thanks to all who replied! Most helpful

Walt
Old 07-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

HENDERSON , Kentucky
Side window experience

In Manatee Springs SP in 2019, the beginning of our winter Florida trip, I was closing the bedroom window in our 2018 23FB. As soon as I touched the levers to lower the window, it exploded in shards!!

On the road, I did not know what to do, so we called Coach Net, and they located a dealer near to us in Gainesville who had the window in stock. We called them & they got us in the next morning. We were on our way to our next destination within an hour. It was about $260 as I recall.

I am still at a loss as to why the window exploded! All I was doing was closing it as normal!!

Steve & Gail
stwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I use an automotive interior trim tool to pop the window seals. It's somewhat flexible plastic so the chances of damaging the glass are remote.

With regard to the levers and shattered windows, I've always been concerned about using them, especially on the larger windows. The lever attachment points are high up on the glass for obvious reasons, but that means that leverage is poor and it therefore requires substantial force to both open the window and control it while closing. I imagine there is a fair amount of stress at the point where the levers attach to the glass. Anyway, whenever possible, I open and close the big windows from outside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	769.1 KB
ID:	399404  

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
This is what I use to pry open windows.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001M52Y...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
Honda Lube.
https://www.ebay.com/p/1134401733

I've tried the factory recommended spray and other lubricants. They work fine for a day or so. The Honda lube keeps the windows opening even after 2-3 months of outdoor storage.
I reapply whenever I prepare for a trip.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
This is what I use to pry open windows.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001M52Y...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Cool Tool, I use a popsicle stick
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
In the future use "303 Rubber Seal Protectant" on your rubber seals. This isn't the same as "303 Protectant Spray". The first product is specifically made for rubber seals. It eliminates the sticky windows when used regularly. Easy to apply and lasts a long time between treatments.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Easthampton , Massachusetts
FWIW, we also did a bonehead move - left windows down but unlatched overnight at home when a bad storm blew through and there was a microburst-like event that occurred and in the morning, we found two windows shattered - one side, plus back). Did I mention this was 2 weeks before a planned trip departure? We looked on-line and found a post and video called Airstream RV Window Replacement by Luv Subbin. Trust me - we can’t fix anything, but the video was clear and gave us confidence we could do this. We called Colonial Airstream Parts Dept and they were awesome. Ordered replacements and had them shipped directly to us. They arrived 2 days before our planned departure date. Took us 20 minutes to install both. Needed only a phillips screwdriver and a small wrench. Trip saved. Unless frame is damaged (unlikely) window replacement is easy. Total cost for both windows was less that $600, including shipping.
summitview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #17

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
Yay Woodland Airstream

Thanks for the Woodland (Grand Rapids, MI) tip. They had the 30 inch window in stock, shipping it now. The woman in parts who answered the phone knew the part number by heart even though she was far from the computer! Shows you how many window calls they get.

Thanks again to all who answered!

Walt
Old 07-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #18
Teton22

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
I had a window blow out during a trip to Arizona in the spring..called the dealer in SLC ( who-by the way-are GREAT people) and the service dept had a replacement special ordered and in their hands in 4 days. The installation took all of 8 minutes-- the replacement comes with the track applied and it was simply a matter of lining up pieces and waving us goodbye. Total cost...289.00.
Teton 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #19
Teton22

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
Hey-- In the event I go camping without my AmEx, which 303 product are you using??
Teton 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #20

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington

Happy to report that the installation was really easy. You hook the upper fitting on the frame, install the lifting arms (1 nut and bolt apiece) and you're done.

Thanks again for all who helped!!