Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2022, 10:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Germantown , Tennessee
Is there an inside "twist" handle door lock option?

Our current door lock is the basic RV type shown in the first photo. I find it to be very difficult to close from the inside, due to the pull being on the far end of the inside plate. It is difficult to tell when the latch has really engaged.

The second photo shows what I think would be a better mechanism from the inside...a twist handle that is closer to the latch and I think you could visually see and feel that it's engaged. (This is also closer to the original Airstream lock from back in the day and the way the new doors have a twist handle.)

But that second lock sticks out from the camper on the outside too much...would bang into the camper when open.

So I'm looking for one that is flush with the door on the outside, but has a kind of rotary handle on the inside.

Anyone know of such a lock? I have also thought about trying to make the modern AS work on an old door, but I can't find any threads where someone has done that, if it's even possible.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.08.07 PM.png
Views:	28
Size:	952.9 KB
ID:	413502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 11.05.21 PM.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	413503  

lojoma is offline   Reply With Quote