Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #141
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
Aliso Viejo , California
Looking for insight... have the swift hitch which I bought thinking that I could use on the airstream- having to buy the suction mounts now. For the price, I like it for hitching up in the dark and using along with my VW back up cam. Ideally though, this is to avoid marital problems when backing up LOL.

Saw this one on Costco- good reviews but looks like people have mentioned weather as an issue. I like their return policy (can return anytime) but for the instal time involved I'd rather just do this once.

Thoughts?
Brokerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #142
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Brokerchris how do you like your swift hitch camera ? Do you have the sh02 or sh01 model ? How long have you had it? I'm thinking of buying one but some people have had problems with a bad picture ( static )etc. I'm planing on using it for hitch hook up and was thinking of using it for rear view from inside of trailer looking out the rear glass on the road and also suction cup mount on rear of trailer when backing up into camp site lots .
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #143
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Single Camera System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
So just to be clear, you're using the single camera version, not the 3 camera version, yes? How is the view with 1 camera? Enough to see traffic behind you in conjunction with your mirrors? I'm having one installed at the Mothership next month and thinking single cam.
I installed the Voyager system with the single camera option. I will report back at the end of our 7,500 mile trip on such items as rain effects, headlight effects, etc.

My initial take on seeing traffic behind the trailer is that the view seen behind the trailer is OK. This observation is based on the view while the trailer is sitting under the covered shed where it is stored.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My Rydeen system is in at Ferguson Audio and Video.
I am taking the truck 'n' trailer there in the morning for installation.
I'll keep y'all up to date and post pictures.
I am excited.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #145
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Having just driven 2000 miles coming home through sun, rain, snow, sleet, dust storm the camera did great. Heavy rain there was some image degradation but still usable. Snow same thing except if it had a glob on the lens. But I think it is generating a small amount of heat from the electronics even at low temps and still wasn't an issue.

I have the screen mounted to a RAM mounting arm, RAM suction mount and their sandbag kind of base that simply sits on the dash. Works fine and is low enough to see around on the dash.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

Aliso Viejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Having just driven 2000 miles coming home through sun, rain, snow, sleet, dust storm the camera did great. Heavy rain there was some image degradation but still usable. Snow same thing except if it had a glob on the lens. But I think it is generating a small amount of heat from the electronics even at low temps and still wasn't an issue.

I have the screen mounted to a RAM mounting arm, RAM suction mount and their sandbag kind of base that simply sits on the dash. Works fine and is low enough to see around on the dash.

Awesome- which camera are you using? The Costco one I linked to? Hard/easy to install?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

Aliso Viejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
Brokerchris how do you like your swift hitch camera ? Do you have the sh02 or sh01 model ? How long have you had it? I'm thinking of buying one but some people have had problems with a bad picture ( static )etc. I'm planing on using it for hitch hook up and was thinking of using it for rear view from inside of trailer looking out the rear glass on the road and also suction cup mount on rear of trailer when backing up into camp site lots .
I have the sh01- I like it a lot- bought it on amazon. I can see why some people would prefer a bigger screen- also the camera viewing degree is ok- meaning I would rather have more of a fisheye lens. Other than that- I like it. I just bought the suction cup mount as there is no metal on the back of our 23FB. I use it a lot in conjunction with my Touareg's back up camera in order to hitch up at night- this has helped a lot.

Ideally I would like something that I don't have to worry about falling off (suction cups) for long trips or backing up.

For the price- I think it was worth it. If you get it on Amazon and don't like it you have 90 days to return so its a no brainer.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #148
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I have the Voyager wireless setup, single camera.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My Rydeen wireless camera system has come in.
My trailer is at Ferguson Audio and Video for the installation.
There is a very small, inconspicuous high definition camera that will mount in the vicinity of the tag light. The angle is adjustable. It will be powered by the tag/tail light (I will be running lights on). There is a little black box transmitter that will go somewhere in the wall or storage compartment.
In the truck there will be a little black box receiver. The image will show up on my Alpine 7" touch screen navi/iPod control/DVD/SiriusXM/truck back up camera monitor. There will be a 3 way toggle switch in one of the dash dummy plugs (for some option I don't have) to select trailer camera/off/truck camera.
I will post pictures when it is done.
I think y'all will like it.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Chicago , Illinois
Can't wait to see. Trying to locate someone in Chicago that can do similar install with our Sport and connect to existing 7" display in 2013 Volvo
john4170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #151
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That would be a great trick. We have a second display for the rear camera, and that is less convenient, especially since our dash has a perfectly good 7" display. Of course, that display normally shows a view from the TV backup camera. When our TV & TT are connected, I'd much prefer to see a view from the TT's rear camera. While the two are connected, I'd also want to switch the TV's 7" screen, at will, to display the TT's rear camera even when I'm not backing up.

Probably a tall order, but that's what I want.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The toggle switch is the key-
It can be mounted in a plainly visible location (my choice) or hidden away in a console, glove box, or under dash.
Jimbo (stereo man) gave me the option. I have a subwoofer frequency gain control already mounted in one of those dummy plugs for some option I don't have. The toggle switch can be mounted in one of those dummy plugs close to the subwoofer knob.
He said they should complete the installation today.
Wireless cuts down on the installation time for obvious reasons.
I will post pictures perhaps this evening.
Will get to test it out Friday. We have camping reservations.

They routed the wire differently.
I can live with it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395182703.066521.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	207768

Just settled up- $450

The transmitter in the trailer is in the wall between where the license plate is and the headboard of the bed.
The receiver in the truck is in under the console.
The toggle switch is near the tow/haul switch.

View behind the trailer-
Toggle switch-
View behind the truck-Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395188736.954572.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	603.2 KB
ID:	207780Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395188766.060951.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	207781Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1395188799.769587.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	635.6 KB
ID:	207782

The wireless picture from the back of the trailer is not as crystal clear as the wired picture from the tailgate of the truck.
As you are traveling, the motion on the truck camera is clear and smooth.
The image from the wireless camera is jittery while traveling- like it is transmitting frame by frame- it will be smooth for a bit then choppy-
Even still I could tell there was a green Honda Element following me...
The picture sometimes goes to "no signal" and back to the picture. I think this is some kind of interference from other devices- phones, radios, etc.

Even though that wireless picture is not as clear, I can still tell that there is a Ford Taurus, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a Chevy Trailblazer back there.

I wonder if dangling the little antenna on the transmitter outside the trailer behind the license plate would help with interference/loss of signal.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I just went to check on the trailer and was disappointed in the camera installation.
I didn't like a wire visible from the camera on the license plate light to behind the tag light housing. I guess I thought the wire would go through the tag light housing lens area and not be visible.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #154

Thanks for the report and walk-thru on your camera install. Looks good!

Old 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #155

Hey, do they offer a repeater like he one available with my TPMS? That really seems to have done the trick.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Never thought about that- I wonder if Rydeen makes such a thing.
Does the repeater have to be located near the front of the trailer and be wired into another source of power? I'm sure it does.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #157
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Hico , Texas
New Model SwiftHitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Swift Hitch is coming out soon with a digital version that will eliminate interference from Bluetooth and such. I understand it will retail for $279, same packaging as their SH02 model. I think it will become the "go to" magnetic mount backup camera.

Larry
I had ordered the older model SwiftHitch with dual cameras late last year from Pickup Specialties in Houston in anticipation of our "Long Long Honeymoon" when Luci and I tied the knot in NM and then participated in the AlumaFiesta in Tucson for the honeymoon in February. I had numerous problems with the dual camera set ranging from low charge life, to spotty reception.

When we returned, I took the chance of returning the unit directly to SwiftHitch with a list of issues. Not only did they return my money in full, but they sent me their new model for me to try and return if we don't like it!!

We don't have a road trip planned, but when we do we will be sure to report back.

You really have to love the customer service of both these companies!

Philip & Luci
Lazy Dude Ranch
Hico Texas
pdvasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Except for the intermittent loss of signal I like the system I have above a portable system in so many ways.
I need to do research to see if there is a solution like a repeater to solve the issue.
It is a permanent system wired into the trailer's power- no batteries- no charging-
It is permanently mounted- nothing to do- nothing to keep up with- just get in the truck and flip a selector switch- this is so there is only one permanently monitor for several cameras/video sources-
A permanently mounted do everything system is the way to go.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Updates on Wireless back-up cameras?

I purchased two of the systems shared here. While I am glad that others have had good service with the 4ucam I did not. Basically it worked for one trip before failing the first time. I had all three parts fail- the transmitter was first, then the camera, then the monitor. They replaced all three but the last time they would not replace the monitor. Oh, and the transmitter/license plate camera quit working too about six months old. (I continued to use the monitor looking through the blue inky looking dead spots until it completely failed). In essence, I would not recommend the system. I know that others are happy with it but I found every piece to be not worth the money. I purchased the extension kit for the 4Ucam and wired it through the trunk and interior wall of the airstream to a transmitter mounted inside the front window. For the short time it worked, the system was adequate. The extension and wiring to the camera was made of very thin wire. I would get lines through othe picture from time to time even with the transmitter at the front top of the trailer window and the monitor on my f150 dash. I chose the system to save money and was willing to live with the lines but not total failure. I threw the whole thing in the garbage except for the wire that is still running through the wallyager of the AS.

The wireless voyager system is expensive in comparison but for that I got a much more heavy duty camera with quad cabling and rubber wire covering. The system required no wiring to the camera other than a power wire that I chose to put in the center running light. I mounted mine up high. Theft would be possible but it would not be done without a ladder and a bit of time. The system has crystal clear picture and sound with no intermittent loss.

I have a swift hitch system for hitching. The signal type is similar to the 4UCam but stronger. The voyager system is digitally locked.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #160

We're having generally good results with Voyageur as well. The signal from high up on the back of the trailer is strong and consistent, though the frame rate is a little lower than I would like. I wish I didn't need yet another monitor in the cab to see the video feed, but it definitely works.