Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #201
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
A friend and I are almost ready to market a wireless rear view camera system that uses your iPhone as a monitor. It can be had with either a weatherproof external IR camera (for viewing in dark backup situations) or a less expensive camera for mounting inside the AS rear window. iPhone reception is excellent up to about 50'. The iPhone will still receive messages and calls as usual and can be quickly removed from the window/dash mounting bracket when needed.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to those of you who may be interested. Will be much less expensive and at least equal in quality to systems that use a dedicated monitor (e.g. Voyager).

Ever thought of opening up for initial buyers on Kickstarter?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
This is a ridiculously bad question - but can you run the Voyager's wireless receiver screen (on 12v cigarette lighter adapter) from a 12v receptacle inside the trailer while also on shore power?

There could be times when having the camera and audio on inside the trailer could be a helpful thing.

If this is a wicked stoopid question - be gentle :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #203
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Has anyone tried using a GoPro camera and the smartphone app that lets you view what the camera is seeing? I have a GoPro so I'm going to try it out. If it works, you might as well get a GoPro because you can do so much more with it than a backup camera.
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a Rydeen wireless camera with a transmitter mounted behind the headboard powered by the license plate light. The receiver is mounted in the truck behind the stereo in the dash.
I discovered the other day after I had put my Reflectix in the windows that I get "no signal".
I had to remove the Reflectix from the front window.
Also, I can't pile the pillows up on the bed.
I went with this installation so I wouldn't have to drill mounting holes in the aluminum.
The Voyager is a less finicky installation because the transmitter is mounted up high on the exterior of the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am waiting for a product that is wireless - I can flexibly mount it where I want as needed and use iPhone as the monitor

I thought about make shifting a mount for my wife's phone and face timing and trying it that way

I like the go pro idea - has people used an iPhone video feature on that? Sounds cool - would love to have one - very spendy device but if for backup and other use - that would be neat

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #206
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am waiting for a product that is wireless - I can flexibly mount it where I want as needed and use iPhone as the monitor

I thought about make shifting a mount for my wife's phone and face timing and trying it that way

I like the go pro idea - has people used an iPhone video feature on that? Sounds cool - would love to have one - very spendy device but if for backup and other use - that would be neat
Have you seen this website before. It is a wireless system that works over wifi to your iPhone/ipad. Range looks to be around 100+ feet and it is listed at $125. Plus it has enhanced night vision. I haven't tried it yet but it looks great.

iPhone Android iPad WIFI car backup camera
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Very very interesting

Eliminating wires and using wifi instead will be awesome I bet

I want two of these now - one for the TV and one for the AS

I'm foggy on how to get the power over to the unit - but probably is simple enough

I may call that company today and ask some questions

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #208
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I was thinking that you would probably have to install the wifi module up near the propane tanks and hook the power directly to the battery bank.

Then a wire would have to be run under the trailer back to the license bracket for the camera.

Seems like it wouldn't be too big of deal. The advantage would be better reception in TV. While you would still have to contend with some wiring. You would be wireless to the iPhone or iPad head module and be able to place anywhere in the TV.

A second camera or third camera might be nice to mount on the right and left sides of the trailer for views along the side as well as from behind.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Updates on Wireless back-up cameras?

Go pro is tempting as well - no install - can move from TV to TT as needed for backing and hitching - but more than double price

Old 08-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #210
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Go pro is tempting as well - no install - can move from TV to TT as needed for backing and hitching - but more than double price
The only concern I have with GoPro is how the live camera performs. This camera is primarily designed to record video and photos to MicroSD card. I know there is a fast preview mode but I wonder what the lag time is. If the lag time is 1 sec or more that would be too much to use as a live camera for backup.

Also seems like you would be constantly charging batteries since the battery life is about 1.5 hours.

I just found this on another site about the GoPro live video delay.
"It seems to vary from 2 to 4 seconds going by reports on this forum and elsewhere.On my phone the delay was about 2 seconds.
The preview is not a full time video stream but short bursts of video."
Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would only want to use the backup camera for hitching and backing - keeping it charged between trips would be easy enough

The lag concern seems important

I'm leaning toward this 4cu option so I do t have to worry about battery and it's much cheaper

Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #212
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Redding , California
Install pictures?

I'm looking for installation pictures from Airstreamers that are using the Voyager wireless camera. I would like to avoid the attachment next to the center clearance light and it's drilled hole in the aluminum skin.

Has anyone attached the camera inside the trailer between the window and bug screen?
ReddinStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I primarily want a camera for hitching...but just about as much would love it for backing....backing for me has been much less challenging...but still would want it for this purpose as well.

If I mount the transmitter with or near propane tanks or some such place like that...then I could run the wires for the trailer camera underneath easily...I could also have another camera on the truck, and have that camera input over to the transmitter...but would need to swap the input upon hitching or perhaps there is some sorta AV switch I could buy so that I just hook up the 7 prong connector and just bundled with that I plug in the truck camera wire and flip a switch to toggle the signal back to the rear of the airstream so it will be ready when arriving at destination and back in....

or some such insanity - that actually does not sound too complex...especially as I would not need to find power at the rear of the AS which seems a bit trickier overall to me somehow.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #214
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
PharmGeek,

I suppose you could mount the WiFi transmitter somewhere near the rear bumper of the TV. Then have one camera mounted on the TV, and one on the trailer.

Power would come from the TV, and you would have one camera wire to the rear of the trailer that you could connect and disconnect. When connected you would be using the trailer camera for backup. When disconnected you would be using the rear camera on the TV.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #215
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
PharmGeek,

I suppose you could mount the WiFi transmitter somewhere near the rear bumper of the TV. Then have one camera mounted on the TV, and one on the trailer.

Power would come from the TV, and you would have one camera wire to the rear of the trailer that you could connect and disconnect. When connected you would be using the trailer camera for backup. When disconnected you would be using the rear camera on the TV.

http://4ucam.com/files/A0299_1-mod-2-lenght.jpg

They have them "pre-wired" and not switches...

Just doing the math....so here

125 for the unit...38.95 for the 40 foot extension camera cord (to mount camera on rear of trailer and link up from the transmitter at front of trailer)...12.99 for the two way switch (29.99 for it pre-wired).

I assume the 6 feet for the included camera will be enough from the propane tank area back to the truck, but may need 10 more feet so that is additional 12.99 cents...not quite sure if that will be needed, but likely I think.

so:

124.95 (camera+transmitter
38.95 (40 foot extension)
12.99 (toggle switch)
12.99 (10 foot extension)

Total cost 189.88

If get prewired toggle - 196.88

Thats not bad I think...and if you wanted to skip the cost of the toggle you could easy enough making the cost be 176.89.

Edit...oh woops...forgot to add the cost of the second camera...doh....add 65 bucks...boooo

Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #216
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I would think it would be fairly easy to wire your own toggle switch or quick disconnect if you have any soldering skills. But I am not sure what the wired connection to the camera is (Cat 5, or some sort of custom hardwire).
Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I would think it would be fairly easy to wire your own toggle switch or quick disconnect if you have any soldering skills. But I am not sure what the wired connection to the camera is (Cat 5, or some sort of custom hardwire).

yes, I had the same concern...I am calling the company to verify shortly..

Also others note my cost correction..I had forgoet to add cost of the 2nd camera...additional 65 for 2nd IR type camera...there39.99 for the smaller standard camera without IR night vision...

So total is more like 240 or 260 depending on camera type you go with

Old 08-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #218
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
My wife and I are picking up our 2015 27FB International Serenity sometime in late October at Airstream of Spokane.

I am planning on going with the 4Ucam with my iPhone or iPad once we get that trailer. I'll use it as strictly a trailer backup cam.

I already have a factory built in backup cam on my Ford F-250 Platinum. It has an 8" touch screen built into the dash and works great for backup and parking cam.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #219
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
nice....quite a few youtube reviews on this camera...looks good...really good signal at well over 40 feet...I very well may buy it and try it out and see. Thanks for that heads up!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #220
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Backu...+backup+camera

I searched "4ucam wifi backup cam" on Amazon and found this...it appears identical, box and all, except the 4UCAM product on the box adds their name and a label also on the transmitter...appears this is a china supplier for the product and 4UCAM and this seller on amazon are simply two different suppliers of the same item...same price...the amazon one though is not IR version of camera.

I have like 70 bucks in amazon points so I though I may pick the amazon one up