Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Antenna green light

New 25 GT has 2 TVs and manual says when you power on antenna on wall plate it goes green. It also says both TVs are then powered on (or off, of course). The front tv is the only wall plate with the switch to push on or off and when I push on both lights are green. However, selecting off only turns off the front tv green light. Back tv green light stays on

I do think that the failure of the tv to find antenna channels in my driveway when auto search is done is related to silly green light issue. Channel search says not signal

When did walk through at dealer they had antenna stations

Anyone have this issue?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Unless something is different in your AS, the wall switch for the antenna only powers up the antenna, not the television.

So if you are trying to get over the air channels, you should have that switch on (green light on wall), and then you have to go into the menu to have it learn the channels for the area where you are currently parked. That can mean relearning the channels each time you move, unless you didn't go far.

You should leave that switch off if you are using cable, and when not needing to watch over the air TV, since it can cause interference and will pull power from the batteries.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Yes, I understand that part. The issue is when the green light is off on main tv wall plate it remains on on second tv wall plate
Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Yes, I understand that part. The issue is when the green light is off on main tv wall plate it remains on on second tv wall plate
Perhaps a GT is different, but on our 25’ Serenity there is only one antenna wall plate and the cable for the bedroom tv just comes out of the wall (along with the HDMI cable from the DVD player.)
Old 03-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
GT is not different only 1 light on wall plate behind front television.

What a stupid place for the switch. Why not put it where it is easy to get to.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
My GT has 2 TVs and each has a wall plate. One in front has switch for antenna or cable (on or off) and green light when on. Back tv has wall plate, no switch, but green light always on. I am on shore power at home.

The switch selects either antenna or cable for both TVs at the same time says the manual. You would think either both green lights on or off at the same time. Back tv I am unable to get antenna channels but can on back
Old 03-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You should contact AirstreamInc either via PM or telephone (both are available at that link.)

I don't know what's different about yours... there's no reason I can think of for an LED to be on the bedroom antenna plate. They should be able to explain.

One thing to make sure is that your bedroom TV is on the "antenna" rather than "cable" channel search profile before you search. It may have been changed inadvertently.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Don’t know what changed but both TVs did get channels on antenna. Still weird back tv green light always on
Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
No intention to hijack this thread, but along the same lines, has anybody experienced an intermittent failure of their antenna/booster? I've gotten a "no signal" for two days, then magically my signal reappeared. I've checked all the easy stuff - even though I had the green LED at the antenna/booster plate on the front TV as well as the rear TV...of course no fuse/breakers blown or tripped, LED on the antenna was illuminated and since I don't think every station that I cycled through the "learn" option prior to the failure went off the air together for two days I'm a bit baffled (on this and many, many other things - so I have that going for me). Again, I changed nothing...sitting on shore power in my driveway the entire time; had a signal, then "no signal" then picked up the signal again. I did not shift the TV from antenna to cable...no settings were changed. I cycled the booster switch on and off, no joy. It's a pain-in-the-shorts to troubleshoot something that is now functioning fine. No physical damage of any sort is visible on the antenna itself.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions out their in Forum Land on how to diagnose this intermittent failure? Thanks in advance - I have the Wingard "saucer" antenna.
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvagediver View Post
No intention to hijack this thread, but along the same lines, has anybody experienced an intermittent failure of their antenna/booster? I've gotten a "no signal" for two days, then magically my signal reappeared. I've checked all the easy stuff - even though I had the green LED at the antenna/booster plate on the front TV as well as the rear TV...of course no fuse/breakers blown or tripped, LED on the antenna was illuminated and since I don't think every station that I cycled through the "learn" option prior to the failure went off the air together for two days I'm a bit baffled (on this and many, many other things - so I have that going for me). Again, I changed nothing...sitting on shore power in my driveway the entire time; had a signal, then "no signal" then picked up the signal again. I did not shift the TV from antenna to cable...no settings were changed. I cycled the booster switch on and off, no joy. It's a pain-in-the-shorts to troubleshoot something that is now functioning fine. No physical damage of any sort is visible on the antenna itself.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions out their in Forum Land on how to diagnose this intermittent failure? Thanks in advance - I have the Wingard "saucer" antenna.
In the 2nd year I had this trailer, I noticed the skinny coax connecting the TV to the antenna outlet seemed "not quite right." When I tried to inspect it, I realized it had actually come apart and wasn't properly connecting to the TV, and replaced it with a small, flexible piece of coax that's more durable than the original, with 90-degree connectors to deal with the tight space. I haven't had any surprising loss-of-signal issues since.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
...replaced it with a small, flexible piece of coax that's more durable than the original, with 90-degree connectors to deal with the tight space.
Thanks! I moved the small COAX around and there was zero audio/video degradation...but I see your point regarding the 90 deg coax elbows... Where's a Radio Shack when you need them?
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2019 25' International
Hebron , Connecticut
green lights should go off when tv goes off

Quote:
Don’t know what changed but both TVs did get channels on the antenna. Still weird back tv green light always on
I had this happen twice and the green lights stayed on. We reprogrammed the channels and it went away. Another time, all we had to do was turn off the DVD player. Another time, neither action made them go off! I figured out the correct order.
DVD on
Reprogram the TVs
Turn off the TVs
Turn off the DVD player.
Poof, green lights go on and off with the TV now.
I made a video
fiddyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Greenville , South Carolina
That green light on the wall panel behind the TV in the bedroom area is for the Blue Ray player, sending the power/signal to the TV when the DVD player is used. Yup, mine did the same darn thing, light wouldn't go off.....it has nothing to do with the TV antenna so turning off that switch on the other TV won't turn off that green light. I couldn't get mine to reset even when the DVD player was turned off. The solution is simple, just unplug the DVD player from the wall outlet, wait about 5 seconds, and plug it back in. Green light will be off.....it must reset something on the system, but it works overtime in my case.
retiredSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Boerne , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredSC View Post
That green light on the wall panel behind the TV in the bedroom area is for the Blue Ray player, sending the power/signal to the TV when the DVD player is used. Yup, mine did the same darn thing, light wouldn't go off.....it has nothing to do with the TV antenna so turning off that switch on the other TV won't turn off that green light. I couldn't get mine to reset even when the DVD player was turned off. The solution is simple, just unplug the DVD player from the wall outlet, wait about 5 seconds, and plug it back in. Green light will be off.....it must reset something on the system, but it works overtime in my case.
That all sounds good, but my 2023 International 27FBT does not have a DVD player. There is not switch at the main TV to turn a booster to antenna on/off. The crazy thing I did notice is that during the day the green light to the TV in bedroom on wall plate is on and at night it goes out. So I do not know what is being turned off /on to make this happen. I just figure that might be coming from the Solar? I have not spent enough time in our new rig to figure it out. I was in the RV service business for 20 years, so I will find out with more use what turns it off and on. I only really cared at first cause that bright green light will be disturbing at night, but as soon as the sun goes down, it shuts off OR I am turning something off every night at dusk.
dbgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #15
MRA
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Alameda , California
@dbgrill - Did you ever find an answer? I have a 2023 25FBT and this light never goes off . I would really like to figure out both what it is supposed to indicate, and how to turn it off. Currently I cover it with tape so I can sleep - but this is not a good solution.
MRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:42 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Boerne , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRA View Post
@dbgrill - Did you ever find an answer? I have a 2023 25FBT and this light never goes off . I would really like to figure out both what it is supposed to indicate, and how to turn it off. Currently I cover it with tape so I can sleep - but this is not a good solution.
I found that the green light in the forward bedroom goes out if I shut off the Roku streaming device plugged in the rear overhead media location. If the grandkids sleeping in the living area are watching the streaming device the light is on until the sleep timer shuts down the TV. The streaming device seems to keep the light on until the Roku goes to sleep mode, then the light goes out. Airstreams over the years appear to have been wired different. I think someone else in this thread or another mention to power down ANY device connected to the HDMI connection. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Hmmm. My second TV (Bedroom) has no green light appliance.
The green light plate serves TWO functions.
1. it supplies power to boost the rooftop "air" antenna.
2. It switches the TV coax from 'cable' to 'antenna'.

I assume when my front TV booster is green, I can't watch cable on the bedroom TV. (I've never tried)

The folks finding the light green all the time seem to be using streaming devices. Are the devices back feeding power to the switch plate causing the light to stay on?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:37 AM   #18
MRA
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgrill View Post
I found that the green light in the forward bedroom goes out if I shut off the Roku streaming device plugged in the rear overhead media location. If the grandkids sleeping in the living area are watching the streaming device the light is on until the sleep timer shuts down the TV. The streaming device seems to keep the light on until the Roku goes to sleep mode, then the light goes out. Airstreams over the years appear to have been wired different. I think someone else in this thread or another mention to power down ANY device connected to the HDMI connection. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I have nothing plugged into the HDMI. When I do, the light remains on whether the device is on or off. I finally did get an answer from AS:

Quote:
The green light remains on as it's purpose is to let the end user know there is power going to the tv.

I am going to test that next time by hitting the breaker for the TV and seeing if that turns it off. This seams a really 💩 design choice on Thor's part. For many reasons - not the least of which is making it inconsistent between models and years.
MRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Boerne , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for that. I have nothing plugged into the HDMI. When I do, the light remains on whether the device is on or off. I finally did get an answer from AS:

I am going to test that next time by hitting the breaker for the TV and seeing if that turns it off. This seams a really 💩 design choice on Thor's part. For many reasons - not the least of which is making it inconsistent between models and years.
Cool. Let me know what you find out. I have a solution to our problem. Since the light seems to serve no purpose, once the trailer is out of warranty just cut the wire to the light.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
For many reasons - not the least of which is making it inconsistent between models and years.
It is partially inconsistent because the newest models now have 12V TVs whereas the older models had 120V TVs, so there was a significant change in design recently.

Also, AS doesn't make many of these small components, they buy them from others so the OEM may change/upgrade what's available over time
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote