Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
No, it's not on my avatar. I forgot how to change it.
To change your avatar, click "user cp" from the blue toolbar at the top of the page, then click "edit avatar". Search your computer for your new one, and click "save changes".
Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #22
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Oh, and another thing

Oh, by the way Becky, Congratulations on the new rig!
Photo's photo's photo's....

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ok this is to funny!.
I would just leave it. If it won't fit around the bend and it is far enough down stream of the down valve then just leave it alone. It can be your little secret.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Here's another, "I wouldn't worry about it." It's extremely unlikely to ever cause a blockage.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
It's hard to believe that such a simple incident could make for such entertaining reading. Thanks guys.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #26
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
why not invert the trailer??

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #27
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
It's not evacuation, it's just alumination

Michael
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hey it is your story, tell it any way you want. Im not going to be the one to make a dirty crack about your experince though...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Flush King will "do" the job!

Read the thread with some concern.... with 3 kids, there are likely PLENTY of things that get into the tank, that I am not "made aware" of.... this sounds like one I'll get to deal with eventually.

I too, have the Flush King, and I think that with enough "Fill" on the BT, that there is a GREAT chance of getting that sucker outta there. Be patient, use LOTS of water, and be a hawk on that clear section of tubing..... heck, you might see plenty that will get that gag reflex in A-1 condition, long before the toothbrush makes its appearance.

Flush King, eagle eye, & LOTS of water - no problem.

Heck, your BT probably hasn't been THIS clean since JC.....!?!

Be sure to keep us in the loop!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now, if you REALLY want to clean the tank out while performing this exercise, you can pour a cup or two of liquid clothes soap into the toilet before filling with water. Fill it about 3/4 of the way, then tow the trailer around town for a while. If your neighbors ask, you can tell them you are taking your trailer for a ride...
When you get back, hook up your flush king, and see if you have any success.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wow, can't believe how many of you guys would leave it in there to create problems in the future. Just when you don't need it that sucker will jam the works. If it gets stuck in the curve it will likely catch any undigested paper. Leave it there in a drying atmosphere and before you know it you've got paper mashe. (sp?)
I'd be down the topside hole with a drop light and a retractable grabber tool. The grabber tool can be had in different lengths and generally available at auto parts stores.
You can make a drop light by soldering connenctions directly to a small flashlight bulb. Power supply at Radio Shack, 4 AA batteries.
This method works in woodpecker cavities to remove unwanted things like squirrels that have been gased into a cooperative state. And this is done with a mirror to get around and see what's in there.
You could also do it with a remote video (peeper)...such as my Video-Stik.. VIDEOSTIK
Either way I think that thing has to come out of there before it becomes a problem requiring a tank removal.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, if you REALLY want it out, I can loan you my borescope to look for it, it is no stranger to things from the lower digestive tract.
Yes, I really own one.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #33
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
You could also do it with a remote video (peeper)...such as my Video-Stik.. VIDEOSTIK
Glen, while it would go in as a VIDEOSTIK, it would come out a VIDEOSTINK.

Michael
Old 06-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Oh this story reminds me of a "little situation" my, uh, someone I know had. It wasn't in his trailer, but I'm sure someone wants to know. He realized his sewer line was all blocked up when his toilet stopped flushing, and drains stopped draining. He plunged, he snaked and no luck. He drove 2 hours to the next biggest town where he could rent a supper duty power snake. Sometime later, still with no luck, he pulled the snake out and realized the tip had come off somewhere within.

Long foul story short he dug up the sewer line, cut it in half, and was shoulder deep scooping things out.... he HAD to find the tip.

I know, that's enough.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #35
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Im not going to be the one to make a dirty crack about your experince though...
Oh Lord, even the mods can't contain themselves.

Hope it all works out in the end..... Let us know how/or if you finally succeed and thanks for the high entertainment-value thread

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I'd recomend. A flashlight and a grabber tool or a friend with a rubber glove and long arms.

Good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Well, at least you know there is a spare toothbrush in your Airstream if you ever forget to pack one - sorry, I couldn't resist.

How about these two ideas.....

First, dump the black tank several times to get 'everything' out of it, although I'm sure it's pretty clean by now. Then take a garden hose and put it down the toilet and spray (jet setting) toward the dump valve. Have a helper watch for the toothbrush to come out.

If that fails, how about a shop-vac with an extended hose down the toilet?

Best of luck!

And if my suggestion works, DO NOT under any circumstances send me the toothbrush as a prize
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Now, if you REALLY want to clean the tank out while performing this exercise, you can pour a cup or two of liquid clothes soap into the toilet before filling with water. Fill it about 3/4 of the way, then tow the trailer around town for a while. If your neighbors ask, you can tell them you are taking your trailer for a ride...
When you get back, hook up your flush king, and see if you have any success.
I heard a story about a guy that did this and blew bubbles out of the vent as he went down the road
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, I never thought I'd be so close & personal with a black tank as I was today. Hopefully, I won't get malaria or something! My 17 year old daughter was my lovely assistant. I first tried vacuuming around in the tank with a shop vac. No success, just bad smells. (By the way, I think I have cured my gag reflex. No gagging at all today!) Then I tried the wires to the bulb for my very own light in the crapper box and tried to see around with a small mirror on a stick. I had the handy gripper thingy on a stick nearby for sightings. (Yes, Menards loves me). No such luck. Then I decided to attack from the other end of the dump pipe. I took a round brush & attached it to rodding coil & shoved it all the way into the box. I could tell there was at least one curve in the tube & hoped the toothbrush was still in the tank. Still not able to see anything. Then, my brother-in-law the plumber showed up with a thing by Rigid called the Sea Snake. It has a little video camera on the end of a 3 foot long bendable wire & a small screen to view what you're pointing at. After searching the tank for about 5 minutes, I spotted the toothbrush! It was an Oral B blue one! My daughter & I tried every method to get it out (it was kind of jammed in a crease in the tank) for at least an hour. She finally budged it with a coat hanger & it went flying down the dump tube! I thought that would be really bad, but it turned out to be good. For all of you who ever lose a toothbrush in your tank, rest assured that it does in fact fit around the curves of your dump tube & will make it out the other end. I, on the other hand, couldn't rest assured that I wouldn't have paper mache black tank (as another member said) until I got that toothbrush out. So, after an entire morning & part of the afternoon, we have been successful. I, my friends, am going to take a nice long shower to relieve myself of the sewer scum all over myself now, and I wish you all a good day!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Since you apparently typed your message prior to the shower, you may want to de-con your keyboard as well...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote