Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2002, 10:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Toilet Overflow

I'm having plumbing problems with my '66 Globetrotter. The biggest one is that when hooked to city water, the toilet fills to the brim and keeps filling, so that water is continually draining out the overflow.

The system is set up to just be hooked up to city water--I had leaks at the onboard tank (which I capped off) and at the vacuum device (?) in the closet next to the toilet that does some kind of regulation of the sprayer above the toilet. (I was told I could remove it without a problem.) I took off that regulator and just replaced it with some hose. The valve that controls access to that line is closed, but the toilet fills with it open or closed.

Does anyone know what regulates the flow to the toilet, and why it keeps filling? It flushes just fine.

thanks, Tom B.
bentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 10:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Tom,

I don't know what type of tiolet you have in your coach. My 69 has an Aquamagic toilet. Like most standard RV toilets, it is operated with two pedals. The left opens the slide valve and automatically depresses the right, which opens the water inlet valve to the bowl. The right operates independently allowing one to fill the bowl. The vacume breaker is mounted to the back of the toilet.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 04:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
It sounds like the main water inlet valve is not closing. This valve should be connected to the pedals on the floor. The toilet will need to be removed to access this valve. It would be my recommendation to replace the toilet rather than change parts on one that is this old. There are some good threads on this forum that will guide you on this. Good Luck
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 09:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Thanks for the info. I can't find a brand name on the toilet (though I haven't removed it to check thoroughly). It has a logo that looks like a big "T" surrounded by a circle.

However, this toilet only has one pedal, on the left, with the vacuum device suspended on the wall behind it. I suppose I'll have to remove the whole thing and check it out, but my handyman abilities have a remarkable consistency: everything I try to fix usually is made worse. Oh well, onward...

--TB
bentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
The toilet is a Thetford. and they are not friendly people. Take my word.
You need to replace the toilet water valve for sure. it is leaking, Or do I have to tell you Heh heh. I had mine give me trouble some years ago and I was able to buy the whole bottom section of the toilet and screw (bolt) it on. It came with the ribber seal as well. I did (because it was rusty) replace the metal toilet ring that holds the toilet down. And to the fellow who has trouble with the back nut,,,,,,There is a hole (with a cap) on the back of the toilet face. Makes it a snap. The problem is the front nut holding down the flush pedal to get at it. I still have scars. Heh heh.
My unit is a 1974 and It is better than a new one , because I have repaired and fixed all the cheap things that Airstream does in Manufacture.

Rae Baker
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote