Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2002, 01:22 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
toilet doesn't hold water....

yet another "bug" uncovered during my recent expedition. The toilet, (which worked fine last month) stopped holding water. try to fill it, and it just trickles down into the tank. obviously, the gate thingy isnt' closing all the way. I tried to "blast" whatever obstruction is there out of there with the hand sprayer...that didn't work. Tried the shower head...(much better pressure) tried hot water...nothing worked. I've read that the seals in these valves are delicate, so I'm nervous about trying this, but how about a toilet brush, with the valve open, and just give it a good scrubbing? would the bristles be too harsh? Don't want to make matters worse.

gotta do something...the bathroom smells like an out-house, and I'm sure its because air from the tank is escaping into the room through the valve.

I was having the same problem with the dump valve a couple of weeks ago, but that seems to have straightened itself out....at least it is better than it was. I wonder if a toilet brush would be a viable solution for this as well, if it should happen again.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 01:53 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear that you are having all these septic problems. I can feel your pain all the way over here by the Pacific. Especially the wife finding the mess in the shower pan before you did - ouch! I cringe at the thought!
Anyways, someone suggested in a different post cleaning out the slot that the slider goes into when it is supposed to close. Could have toilet paper stuck inside it, keeping the round slide from sealing. I would try and keep the flush valve open, and while water is running, clean the groove with a suitable semi-soft object ( not her toothbrush!).
The slider moves in a rubber seal that is visible from the top. Maybe your seals are compromised somehow? Good luck.
The stinge might be from waste in the shower piping? make sure you flush everything really good.I am referring to the post where your sewer solution flooded the shower with black water.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:11 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Seals do eventually wear out. I replaced mine on my old trailer after about 12 years of use. I didn't consider it a fun job since I ended up having to dismantle the top half of the toilet and break open the gasket that sealed the top and bottom half of the toilet assembly. I'm sure the method of access to the seal may be different for your vintage toilet.

I try to always keep the bowl with some liquid in it. Either water or antifreeze in the winter. I think the seals go through their greatest wear and stress when they are stuck from lack of use and lubrication.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb

Chuck ~

We had a similar toilet bowl leak problem that was fixed by adding "Valve Lubricant" that we got at Camping World...it didn't make it go completely away but it did turn the "stream" into a "drip".

It's a pink gelatinous liquid tha seems to make the rubber(?) seal expand...

You may want to give it a try before dismantling everything...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Thanks for the tips....so do you think a standard toilet brush would be destructive, or would it be safe?

I think the odor was from the toilet, because this was happening before the back-up problem occured. (and it was fine a couple of weeks ago...toilet held water, and no smell at all.....).

oh, yeah, did I mention that the wife is pregnant? she came *this close* to hurling..... under ordinary circumstances, it would be bad enough but.......
Old 08-27-2002, 04:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would try the valve lubricant before using a toilet brush on it...they are kinda stiff/rough & might damage it more.

You might also try different chemicals to help allieviate some of the odor problems you're having...either that or no more chili for you!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
You have received some good advise. Try cleaning the goove that the sllide valve fits into. Use a bent coat hanger and very carefully and gently scrape any residue from the goove. That being done, then spray the slide valve liberallly with silicone or other similar rubber\plastic lubricant. If none of this works, then you will have to replace the seal. You can but a repair kit that contains all the parts but it is best done by removing the toilet from the trailer and putting it on the work bench. That is not as hard as it sounds. Good Luck
James
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
toilet seal

Last year while I was on vacation, the toilet started to leak around the back. Stopped in at RECTEC in St Louis, MO.(GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS) While the toilet was on the bench, I was allowed to clean it all over with bleach (ya'd be surprised at what a mess there can be). It was then I discovered just how easy it is to remove the toilet to work on it. Had a new seal ring installed as well..It now works perfect~! As for the smell, try some chemicals that's you can pick up at Wal Mart..Works ~
(thanks again Jack)
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:40 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Re: toilet seal

Quote:
Originally posted by towner7
Stopped in at RVTECH in St Louis, MO.(GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS)
Vern,
I just checked the local phone book here in STL and can't find company listed with that name. Do you remember where they were located?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-28-2002, 03:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Name

Yikes~!
Jack, I'm sorry...it was "RECTEC" close...???
they're on Lindbergh Blvd., in Bridgeton, MO
thanks for the catch...
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:59 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Name

Quote:
Originally posted by towner7
Yikes~!
Jack, I'm sorry...it was "RECTEC" close...???
they're on Lindbergh Blvd., in Bridgeton, MO
thanks for the catch...
Vern
Vern,
Yep its called REC TECH. I did find them in the phone book. I'll keep them in mind as a resource.

One good thing about this forum is that you can go back to your post and edit it to get the right name in.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-28-2002, 04:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I have the same problem. I haven't taken apart the unit yet. I was advised to just buy a new unit instead of replacing the seals.

I did buy one of those wands with a spinning brass nozzle on the end that rinses out the black water tank. That really helped with that out-house thing! Between rinsing the tank and the chemicals, the odor has gone away even though my lever does not go all the way back.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:03 AM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
just thought I'd report....I finally addressed the issue, (going out this weekend, and the wife won't get in the trailer 'till its fixed!)and it was in fact a piece of TP stuck in the groove. Hard to believe that such a big chunk could get jammed in there, and boy, it was hard as a rock. I actually thought the "obstacle" I was feeling with the coat-hanger was part of the structure of the toilet...after poking at it a little, I saw a tiny piece of white paper, and said "a-ha!!". took some prodding to get it clear, but the toilet is now working as good as new.

I guess I should address the leaky dump-valve in the same manner before going to more drastic measures. I just have a "thing" about putting my face directly underneath the exhaust pipe, gravity working as it does......