Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2022, 05:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Rockledge , Florida
Learning RV maintenance

Hi,

My wife and I are new to RV'ing and are awaiting our new FC 27, hopefully by August. We're reasonably competent do-a-lot-yourself home-owners who are used to Googling and Youtube search to solve problems.

Being new to RV'ing and Airstreams, do you have any opinion of the NRVTA's RV Maintenance and Repair Home Study Course for RV Owners program? Is it worth the $200-$300 time and money? Or are we better off just waiting until we own the unit, meet other RV'ers, search and participate on forums like this, Facebook, YouTube, etc.?
MasterGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Welcome!

I have no experience with this "course". What does it cover?

While Airstreams use pretty much the same appliances as most other RVs, buying new means most of those will be under the manufacturer's warranties.

On the other hand, for Airstream specific stuff, if you are remotely handy, reading threads online for your specific problem here on Airforums is a good use of time. I've found the folks here are extremely helpful and chances are, whatever question or challenge you have, someone else has had it. There are some very experienced and knowledgeable people here.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Great information in this book.

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...-by-rich-luhr/
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you already are familiar with normal home repairs, you have a lot of the background for the typical trailer. Some experience with automotive electrical systems would fill in the gaps related to basic 12V "stuff".

Past that you get into things like solar, which may or may no be covered in this or that course. You also get into the grubby details of this or that appliance or control system. Those are unlikely to be covered in a quick course.

Airstreams have a number of brand specific "items". Things like rivets don't show up on other brands. Airstream steps, windows, and doors are a bit unusual. That stuff is very unlikely to be covered.

I'd suggest saving the money on the course and joining WBCCI (or whatever they call it these days ...) and going to some rallies. You will learn *way* more that way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Between this forum and YouTube you will have most things covered. Save your money.
Shiny16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
This RV technician has a ton of great videos that I have found helpful
https://www.youtube.com/c/MyRVWorksInc
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Come on now, somebody needs to step up and take the course in order to report back. I vote for MaterGrumpy to do so.

More seriously, I enjoy the NRVTA guy's (Todd) YouTube videos. Seems very knowledgeable. That said, I have to agree with the other posts and say that there is enough education from other sources, particularly this site and YouTube. A generalized RV course would spend time on slides, Suburban water heaters, onboard generators, and other stuff you do not have. As mentioned above, you can learn a lot from the My RV Works YouTube videos and you can limit watching them to ones that are relevant to your Airstream.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote