Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have been using Michelins for 8 years with no problems after multiple tread separations on Marathon, Carlisle, and Maxxis tires. The longer trailers need the best tire due to turning side force stresses. Michelins have a much thicker tread than the ST tires mentioned above.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Can’t argue the GYE path. I have give or take 40-45k on the GYE’s after 12k on the gym’s. Love them to death and hold air like a bandit. PSI being another discussion based on YOUR actual weight per tire plus a 15% margin.

To be fair had my sights set on the Nokians ( now made inTN). GYE and their availability was the tipping point….likely different now. Again love the GYE’s and will like repeat when the current set date out next year but a lot of +’s with the Nokes. FYI,passed on the Maxi’s. Too many comments on great warranty. I prefer a great tire. Personal opinion.

I too am a DT customer, express your requirements and take no prisoners. Since DT also rotated TV tires I would often have them rebalance the TT tires in one appointment. They would pull the TV/TT in the bay, use the lift to do the TV , drop it and use the floor Jack at the rear jackpoints, one by one to remove/rebalance the TT tires.

As an aside per the OEM dealer instructions 1sttime jacked on the axle, as JC in their infinite wisdoms had installed the gas line dead center thru the Jack plate, and warranty work was still “pending” at OEM dealer. Never again.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:31 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
E rated=harsher ride?🤔🤔
We went D to E without ANY ride difference, must be the denser C-eh-n-eh-d-eh air.😂

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Hey Bob - I'm NOT Canadian - eh!
.... No Pro-jects, Shed-ules, Pro-cesses, etc. here!

Check out the latest USA map - SoCal separated from the northern Canucks-land long ago!

As to uprating tires -
You may find issues from harder E tires after a time, but you can offset it by using the lower manufacturer recommended tire pressures for the actual load needed.

It's the bane of vintage trailers when well meaning folks think that they're doing good by over-rating their tires - & then find that their nice vintage resto is getting shaken apart. Most vintage resto shops will tell you so.

It's actually a waste of effort & money to up-rate from C to D or to E ... or D to E etc. - when not needed for your particular trailer's actual rated max load GTWR.

Of course, there may be times when you cannot get the load rating you need, & then have to up-rate - but then only use the proper inflation level for your actual load - no different than for a car or truck (unless you like to only wear out the center tread bars).

I suppose that everybody needs a hole to dump their extra cash - I'd just prefer to put it towards restoring one of my classic cars or resto/renovation work on the vintage trailers - than make Goodyear or any other maker richer!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #24
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aironius View Post
Maxxis tires are the only choice. They are made in USA, have more plies than other brands, are rated for higher weight capacity than other brands, heavier carcass weight than other brands. Maxxis is the Heavy Duty option offered by John-Deere for their Gator offroad UTVs, Maxxis is what I use on my 2wd F-150 to beat it around on the dirt. They are superior to all other tires in every way. Since my Airstream has only a single axle, I do not want to deal with the consequences of a tire failure. So I use Maxxis tires. Visit their website. I think the tire I got was called a "8000" or some such, but it's out in the barn and I'm inside. Now, what was the question again?
Aironius -

They're either M8008+ or M8008 (older version) - see my post #15 with link.

Also they're actually made in Taiwan for that particular tire, but the quality has been great on mine since 2012, & across the vintage trailer resto shops & owners whom I know running them. Some others may be made here in the USA, but their offshore plants have great quality controls at all of them.

We've had great times with our kids camping around Beaver Lake over the years too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I have been using Michelins for 8 years with no problems after multiple tread separations on Marathon, Carlisle, and Maxxis tires. The longer trailers need the best tire due to turning side force stresses. Michelins have a much thicker tread than the ST tires mentioned above.
guskmg
I'm not sure why guskmg at post #21 noted tread separations, but everyone I know running Maxxis are in hot SoCal & Southwest where we do have heat & I ran the first set 800 miles ABQ to SoCal in late July with 120 heat that summer 2012 with no issues, nor any since in 80-100+ temps here in SoCal & Central Coast.

I did read in several of these various RV Life trailer forums & other reviews, that several of the new GYE users had some tread separations in the Southeast & Southwest heat - so the Goodyears are not perfect either, even if made in the USA.

Also, if you read the linked specs of the M8008+ at post #15 above & compare with the GYE specs - the tread is actually about 1/32" deeper & thicker on the Maxxis - not thinner - 9/32" vs 8/32" for the ST225//75R15 in question for the OP.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ce/sizes-specs

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/m8008-plus-st-radial/

I can't find any Michelin ST tires in the OP's 225/75R15 size - so can't compare with what you're claiming as thicker tread in your Michelins for 8 years, but you're due for new tires if they're actually currently 8 years old.

Cheers All!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Good luck..

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Say Robert, that is one cool looking jack! By the way, it looks like you replaced the fresh water drain with a new valve. Looks good!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
guskmg
Much thicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF4BE6BA-1307-4126-B7E8-4F36281A0A21.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	417103  
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:30 AM   #27
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
guskmg
I see people noting the thicker tread on the Michelin tires quite frequently. Do you have anything that shows having thicker tread on a trailer tire is actually a good thing?

The obvious thing to say would be that thicker tread would provide more wear and longer life, but I know of very few people who replace tires on a travel trailer due to tread wear - usually it's due to age or damage.

All passenger car and light truck tires have thicker tread than trailer tires, by design. Read through the literature on trailer tires and you'll find talk about shallow tread design to provide cooler running temps and higher fuel economy.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I’m with Richard on cooler. I remember either Tireman9 or Capri Racer commenting on this when the GYE’s were first introduced 3?? years ago. I was going to go with the Nokians as they had a thick profile that I thought was better. I changed my mind for a couple of reasons but a big part was the above comment that GY’s solution to the GYM problem was a thinner profile that ran much cooler.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I see people noting the thicker tread on the Michelin tires quite frequently. Do you have anything that shows having thicker tread on a trailer tire is actually a good thing?
In general thicker tread maintains the performance of the tire longer. A deeper tread also helps in water and snow at least around here. I typically replace my tires well ahead of the wear bars. Had comments these don't need replacing yet but I like the added performance and safety of full tread depth. Tread wear versus performance is well documented.

I am sure Michelin knows what they are doing when it comes to tires.

XPS RIB:

WHY THIS TIRE?
Steel casing, reinforced steel bead helps deliver exceptional retreadability.

Third steel belt helps provide puncture resistance for enhanced durability.

Optimized rib tread designed to provide even tread wear and long mileage with low noise level.

Sidewall protector helps provide resistance to sidewall damage from most curb scrubbing.

Low rolling resistance casing and tread built for superior fuel economy.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 06-08-2022, 10:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
So why would you not believe Michelin when it days this tire is not suitable for RV use? https://business.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-xps-rib
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
So why would you not believe Michelin when it days this tire is not suitable for RV use? https://business.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-xps-rib
First, I have always replaced cheap trailer tires with high-quality light truck tires (Michelin & Nokian). Why, passenger/light truck tires are made to superior quality standards, higher specifications, and subjected to rigorous performance and safety testing. Not so much with cheap utility trailer tires.

Second, When Michelin refers to RV use they are for larger/heavier motorized coaches and larger/heavier specialty trailers. Here is an example of a Michelin tire suitable for RV:

https://business.michelinman.com/tir...-x-multi-z-275

Note, the only size it comes in is 275/70R22.5 J.

We are discussing utility/recreational trailer tires that are smaller and lighter in comparison, not RV.

The only blowouts I have had in 35 years including the 26' race trailer were "trailer tires".
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 06-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Relative to tread thickness, doing my routine tire pressure check this morning (no TPMS yet on the 23GT), it occurred to me to glance at the trailer (GYE) vs. truck (Michelin Defender) tread depths. The trailer tires are shallower, for sure.

Did a quick peek at the GYE web site (https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance) and in fact they do make mention of this:

"Operate at lower temperatures when properly inflated with an optimized tread depth and decoupling groove.".

Interesting, as I'd never thought that would be a feature. Good to know.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
In general thicker tread maintains the performance of the tire longer. A deeper tread also helps in water and snow at least around here. I typically replace my tires well ahead of the wear bars. Had comments these don't need replacing yet but I like the added performance and safety of full tread depth. Tread wear versus performance is well documented.

XPS RIB:

WHY THIS TIRE?
Steel casing, reinforced steel bead helps deliver exceptional retreadability.

Third steel belt helps provide puncture resistance for enhanced durability.

Optimized rib tread designed to provide even tread wear and long mileage with low noise level.

Sidewall protector helps provide resistance to sidewall damage from most curb scrubbing.

Low rolling resistance casing and tread built for superior fuel economy.
Michelin does not make a "trailer tire" nor do "they" recommend using their LT tires on travel trailers...FYI-

Now, many people here do use 16" Micheline LT rated tires and they do come on some nicer TT's with 16" wheels, including AS... over the years, I have purchased/ ran Micheline LT tires on my 25' AS's couple times several years back and they were great. The GY Endurance is an ST rated tire and I must say, my 3rd set on my 28' now...great tires also especially if you have 15" stock size wheels on your AS.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I’m with Richard on cooler. I remember either Tireman9 or Capri Racer commenting on this when the GYE’s were first introduced 3?? years ago. I was going to go with the Nokians as they had a thick profile that I thought was better. I changed my mind for a couple of reasons but a big part was the above comment that GY’s solution to the GYM problem was a thinner profile that ran much cooler.
Agree...ST on trailers for reasons mentioned makes a lot of sense...also recommend, MADE IN USA on all tires!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #35
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
First of all the OP did not ask for LT tires info, but for ST Trailer Tires.

However, the LT crowd always weighs in, but lets not have this topic hijacked into an LT debate.

ST tires are designed for trailer use with less rolling resistance & stiffer sidewalls for better towing performance, less heat build-up, carrying the weight of the trailer per their ratings, easier turning as a towed vehicle, etc. - NOT for traction nor pliable sidewalls for better control required of a car or truck pulling them.

Whereas LT tires & P car tires are specifically designed for good traction treads, pliable sidewalls for maintaining tread contact while turning, etc. for best performance of a powered vehicle - not a towed trailer.

Any comparison of tread depth & thickness between ST & LT tires is meaningless - since the only trailer traction required in snow or rain is against sideways slippage, not to inhibit freewheel rolling forward or backwards. Traction there would only inhibit towing effectiveness & efficiency.

Also, the higher traction & thicker tread & casing of LT & P tires tend to make them run hotter in towing use on trailers, than ST tires designed specifically for towing.

Almost every tire distributor has some tech data on ST vs LT/P tires, & here's the Tire Rack info FYI -

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...&affiliate=HM5

More Tech Articles here FYI -

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...ch.jsp?tab=All

I doubt that any of this will change the fevor of the LT tire crowd, but the others can read them & make their own decisions.

Lastly on Michelin's supposed vaunted quality - they like GY & all makers - have had some bad tires.

I had one blow-out & 3 tread separations on the others within 6 months on the last set of stock factory spec'd NEW (DOT dated <6 months) Michelin C-Rated 8PR LT 195/75R14 tires on steel wheels as originally supplied on & designed for our 1988 VW Westfalia (tall & narrow track 2.5 ton Vanagon, so stronger sidewalls).

This was early morning & cool October on the I-15 freeway going down to San Diego with my 2 kids for the Miramar Airshow - so no heat issues, & most driving up to then was mixed city & freeway.

Since then I tried various other Michi & other makers' tires, but their sidewall were all too soft for our van in sidewinds & 18-wheelers/Busses blowing by at 75 - so nothing was usable from Michi.

A few years back I found & used the Maxxis UE168 LT 205/70R14 tires on a set of the factory alloy wheels - as an LT alternate to the Maxxis M8008+ ST - tires where I mentioned both with links to each in my 1st post (#15).

The Maxxis UE168 LT tires have stiffer sidewalls than the OE Michelins with an extra sidewall belt, as well as having 3/32" more tread depth than the OE Michi's - & it's a far superior tire on our Westy van over the past 5+ years in DD & long distance use - including towing our 1970 Eriba Puck.

So Michelin tires are not perfect, & they apparently don't make any ST trailer tires from what I've found.

That said - I'll continue to use ST tires on my trailers as long as they're available, & LT tires on my Westy van - all in the proper sizes, load & speed ratings, etc.

Hopefully this info & the above links will help the OP with their decision, as well as others reading this topic to decide on their own tires.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 06-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Well, I put the Goodyear Endurance tires that came on my 2022 Caravel 20FB through some serious abuse this week (last time I ignore my judgement even though a GPS routes me on rocky, rutted farm and forest roads), and they made it through with shining colors. I had my wife watching the TPMS constantly waiting for one to let go, but they look good as new. Needed a beer after that one.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #37

Duncannon , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Pic says it all.... tread starting to separate. Yikes!

They've been down the road a piece.

I had tires on my list of things to do...guess I better get after it.

Which one's should I by? J/K

Don't even want to get that started...
Transeagle tires are a good choice. I would stay away from goodyear maypops.
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #38
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Transeagle tires are a good choice. I would stay away from goodyear maypops.
Are you referring to the older Marathon tires or do you have some information about the newer Endurance having a higher than normal problem rate?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
Regardless of the brand, check the date tires were manufactured. Our 2019 trailer had GY Endurance tires that were manufactured 2018. This and mileage affected the decision about when to replace.
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
First of all the OP did not ask for LT tires info, but for ST Trailer Tires.

However, the LT crowd always weighs in, but lets not have this topic hijacked into an LT debate.

*** SNIP ***

Hopefully this info & the above links will help the OP with their decision, as well as others reading this topic to decide on their own tires.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

It isn't as straightforward as you would make it sound, and the thread was titled "Time for new tires....." so the LT choice is on topic.

The "LT Crowd" has already weighed in.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...es-234843.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...es-234807.html

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ty-181219.html
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote