Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Time for new tires......

Pic says it all.... tread starting to separate. Yikes!

They've been down the road a piece.

I had tires on my list of things to do...guess I better get after it.

Which one's should I by? J/K

Don't even want to get that started...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220602_215530610.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	416922  
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I assume these are the tires on your AS. Regardless I would agree that they need to be replaced.

FWIW when I need to replace my tires (most likely next year) I'm going with the Goodyear Endurance. They seem to have a good reputation.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I just picked up 5 Goodyear Endurance tires. Only 90miles on them so far. Speed rating is much higher than the old Marathons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B2042FD3-E680-419A-AF83-32E34BCF0188.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	416925  
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If it has the stock 15" wheels on it just go to Discount tire and get 5 new Goodyear Endurance tires. If it has 16" wheels and Michelin just replace them with the current model.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Wherever you go to have new tires installed….MAKE CERTAIN they know the correct place to Jack the trailer. DO NOT LET them jack it up beneath the axle.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Wherever you go to have new tires installed….MAKE CERTAIN they know the correct place to Jack the trailer. DO NOT LET them jack it up beneath the axle.
For sure....this is the second set of tires I will have purchased for our AS, they will be informed of the appropriate location of the jacks, AND the correct torque specs for the nuts.

Gotta watch the installers closely.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
If it has the stock 15" wheels on it just go to Discount tire and get 5 new Goodyear Endurance tires. If it has 16" wheels and Michelin just replace them with the current model.

Stock wheels, so Endurance it is at Discount Tire.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Good luck..

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0ACE9546-754B-4E8C-971A-932ECF6AD95D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	416929  
Old 06-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I take the trailer to Discount Tire and they're more than nice about accommodating my wishes. I stand over them and say "Put the jack here." (I use the support rail also.)
Then they'll tell each other, "Fill to 80 psi" I'll interrupt and say, "No, please use 65 psi" Okay.
My former local tire store had the attitude, "We do this all day, just have a seat in our lounge and we'll call you." Those days are over.
I drive 40 miles out of my way to find a DT and it's worth it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I take the trailer to Discount Tire and they're more than nice about accommodating my wishes. I stand over them and say "Put the jack here." (I use the support rail also.)
Then they'll tell each other, "Fill to 80 psi" I'll interrupt and say, "No, please use 65 psi" Okay.
My former local tire store had the attitude, "We do this all day, just have a seat in our lounge and we'll call you." Those days are over.

Yes they seem to be a good company... I always buy my tires from them.

On my non-tow vehicle, I had a set of Michelin tires that had worn out way before their stated "mileage". I inquired about it and they checked with Michelin for me. When I replaced them I was compensated $94.00 per tire....yes it was Michelin who authorized the compensation, but DT helped make sure it happened.

I highly recommend them...
Old 06-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Monrovia , California
Time for new tires

We just put a second set of Goodyear Endurance tires on our 2013 25’ International. The first set performed very well and held up for about 5 years of hard use. I recommend the Goodyear Endurance tires… they are good long lasting tires that the trailer rides on pretty well.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Endurance. 2nd set on my 28'; no issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Good for you. I've had to insist that they not jack the axel to the point that a "sub-manager" at a DT (in NC) came to the conclusion that they couldn't service an Airstream. Finally an experienced tech understood why a Dexter axel is not a regular axel and was open to an alternative jacking solution. Got the four Endurance tires properly installed.

Stay with your AS in the shop. If they object just ask "You know where to jack an Airstream? and you can add "Your insurance covers damage caused by improper jacking?" That should let you in or you go to the next shop.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Albany , NY
The last time I needed tires I bought them online, took the wheels off brought them to a garage and I had them mounted and installed them myself. no idiots jacking in the wrong place, no monkeying with my camper. I would never bring my camper into a discount tire shop and let some kid work on it or try and stand over his shoulder.
01bambi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #15
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Try Maxxis M8008+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Stock wheels, so Endurance it is at Discount Tire.
I just went through this exercise for our 1960 Avion T20 because it's Maxxis M8008 were due by age, not wear. GYE is not the only choice for your AS & other trailers, since both Maxxis & Carlisle make excellent radial ST tires.

Also - as to tire shops - Discount Tires/America's Tires & all tire shops can vary by who is running the shop, & my local shop used to be better, & DT's online shop used to have better listings for the up-to-date Maxxis tires, which they don't show now, but apparently can still order them.

Whereas, the guys at the Colorado Springs DT were great when I had to replace tires on my son's Tesla S after a road hazard puncture while I was driving it, & knew about & made sure that we got the Tesla Spec GY Endurance tires on it. How many know that Tesla doesn't even supply an "air pump with a can of goop" - let alone a real or collapsible spare tire!?

In May I was working with my local America's Tire (AT - it's Discount Tire's version here in CA) for a new set of 2 + spare on our Avion - & I also looked at the GYE & Carlisle Trail HD (used by Pete Brock on his Aerovault auto haulers), as well as the updated Maxxis M8008+ in ST225/75R15D (no need for E rated at 3000-3500# wet/loaded/optioned).

I've been very happy with the Maxxis & they were recco'd by the vintage AS/kin restorer who did the PPI & then later worked on our trailer, but the AT manager said that he couldn't get the Maxxis & was hard for them to get any help from Maxxis (odd since it was DT in ABQ that put the 1t set on).

So the AT Mgr tried to sell me on GYEs instead which he had in stock, but the GYE only cam in E rated, which would make a too hard ride & cause vibration damage - something you newer AS owners know only too well, plus there were some RV Life Forums reviews of fast tread wear & heat caused blow-out & separation issues on the GYEs.

DT/AT could only get 2020 DOT date coded Carlisles which were my 2nd choice, but they were already 2.5 years into the 5 year expected life for change-out, but the AT Mgr didn't get back to me on that little detail until after they were in store.

I cancelled that & asked him to order the new Maxxis M8008+ tires which he said would be a week or two.

So the next day Sunday I ended up going to Tire Rack online, ordered 3 Maxxis M8008+ & had them in hand in 2 days, took them to my trailer shop where the Avion was getting worked up for her first trip since Oct. 2019 (we'd been using our little new to us Eriba Puck Oct 2018 to Nov 2019 - then COVID hit).

The Maxxis M8008+ are still great tires, they don't wear fast, no heat problems, they're now all N Speed Rated (GYE are M rated), run smooth & handle well with our single axle Avion trailer.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/m8008-plus-st-radial/

For those of you who swear by LT tires - I also run the Maxxis UE168 LT tires on our `88 VW Westfalia - which are far better than the original Michelins that came on it. Their sizes for your ASs should work well too, but the M8008+ ST tires are better for your trailers.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/bravo-series-ue-168/

So maybe ask your DT dealer about the M8008+ tires instead of GYE.

For any tires - in order to prevent excessive vibration damage to your fancy trailers - both use the proper load rating spec'd for your trailer & use the tire mfgr recco'd tire pressure for your GTWR on all tires. It does you no good to uprate your tires from D to E if not needed - except to pay more for the tires, & to cause more bouncing-n-jouncing & vibration to damage your prized AS.

My first experience with Tire Rack was good, & they also have a number of recco'd tire shops to do the installations - including Discount & America's Tires - in case you want to order the M8008+ from a supplier with them in stack, rather than wait for DT/AT to order them.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:36 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
E rated=harsher ride?🤔🤔
We went D to E without ANY ride difference, must be the denser C-eh-n-eh-d-eh air.😂

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Old 06-06-2022, 07:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Purchased anTrailer aid and took the jack out of the equation. Much safer and simpler
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:18 AM   #18
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Maxxis tires are the only choice. They are made in USA, have more plies than other brands, are rated for higher weight capacity than other brands, heavier carcass weight than other brands. Maxxis is the Heavy Duty option offered by John-Deere for their Gator offroad UTVs, Maxxis is what I use on my 2wd F-150 to beat it around on the dirt. They are superior to all other tires in every way. Since my Airstream has only a single axle, I do not want to deal with the consequences of a tire failure. So I use Maxxis tires. Visit their website. I think the tire I got was called a "8000" or some such, but it's out in the barn and I'm inside. Now, what was the question again?
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Awesome for dual axle if only one tire fails… not for single or triple axles…. And the “jack” is quite handy for stationary work
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
My DT is close enough for me to remove wheels from one axle, take them to DT, mount them, then repeat on the other axle. If single axle, I would do one wheel at a time.

The local GY shop won’t do it this way for me. Too bad…they are only a mile away.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote