Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Someone else on the forum knew the site and posted it in another thread. It is

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I normally cruise my rig at 100-110KPH on our 400 Series Highways. (Like Your Interstates)
If I have a 'spiffy' tail wind, I'll go 110. If not, 100 (62.5 MPH) is fine.
I don't really see the reason to go any faster, as it will really suck up the gas. (Our gas, as I write this, is $1.15.9 Litre or $4.50/US gallon, at Petro-Can in Chatham)
Remember that....................................
Aerodynamic drag goes up as the square of the increase in velocity.
Double your speed, requires four times the power/ four times the gas.
Who needs to go 87 Miles per Hour anyway???
The Airstream is supposed to be a 'Relaxin' Wagon!'

Trailer Trash heading out soon in the Tin-Can-Shed.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I normally cruise my rig at 100-110KPH on our 400 Series Highways. (Like Your Interstates)
If I have a 'spiffy' tail wind, I'll go 110. If not, 100 (62.5 MPH) is fine.
I don't really see the reason to go any faster, as it will really suck up the gas. (Our gas, as I write this, is $1.15.9 Litre or $4.50/US gallon, at Petro-Can in Chatham)
Remember that....................................
Aerodynamic drag goes up as the square of the increase in velocity.
Double your speed, requires four times the power/ four times the gas.
Who needs to go 87 Miles per Hour anyway???
The Airstream is supposed to be a 'Relaxin' Wagon!'

Trailer Trash heading out soon in the Tin-Can-Shed.
Thank you to our good neighbor to the North for his insightful comments.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Thank you to our good neighbor to the North for his insightful comments.
Thank you Sir;
On the 401, I averaged 100 'Kliks', even in the rain; and on the secondary roads, 90 Kliks worked.
It was a relaxing trip, got to the campground in time; and the show at Stratford Festival Theatre, (Guys and Dolls) was immensely super.

By the way, on the return trip, I found some gas at $100.9L. Nice.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check out Roger Marble here:
http://www.rvtiresafety.net/?m=0
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Goodyear endurance 225 75r15 specs.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...&cta=undefined

Rated at 87 mph.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Towing speed in California and Nebraska is 55mph. Sounds like common sense to me.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #28
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ

"• No matter the inflation and load adjustments tires should never be operated at a speed higher than what is indicated by the speed symbol."

Maybe I'm not understanding this but doesn't the above point from Roger's initial post make all of the other points moot? (That is if the tire has a speed rating of 65 MPH)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Tireman,

My ST tires are marked with a speed rating of L and explicitly state max speed is 75MPH. With that, do I need to do the 10 PSI over the max inflation pressure marked on the tires? Or should I really hold speed to 65 (which I do anyway) if I go with the marked 65PSI?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_135149.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	311849  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Tireman,

With that, do I need to do the 10 PSI over the max inflation pressure marked on the tires?
NEVER exceed max cold inflation pressure listed on the side wall of the tire. It is maximum inflation pressure as designed by the tire manufacturer!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #31
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Bullet point from post #1 -

* If tires, with the ST designation, are used at speeds between 76 and 87 mph (122 km/h and 140 km/h), it is recommend the cold inflation pressure be increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard for normal inflation and load conditions and the load is to be decreased by 10%.*

NOT max tire side wall cold inflation pressure!

AND the towed load (the trailer) needs to be dropped by 10%. In addition to using a tire valve stem that is rated for higher pressures.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
One guy's $0.02. Even if I had ST tires that were capable of 100 MPH - I'm not heading over 62 and sometimes hang out at 59. Better on mileage, easier drive, and you notice all the crazy mad people passing you and riding on bumpers while you kind of hang back with a grin on your face and hundreds of feet between you and the hard stop that's sure to come ahead. And for me - it's about 50' of rig weighing in around 7 tons - no need to tempt fate/physics. And last - it's CAMPING - I love slowing life down a bit and escaping the 100 mph world I live in for too many hours during the week.

As DW says, "just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD."

DW is wicked smaht! (Boston for very bright....).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
With the advent of the Goodyear Endurance tires and the ability to get a good trailer tire in 15" size, what are the advantages of switching to 16" tires? My salesman said the 16 will fit on my 2017 25' FC without any modifications to the wheel well. Was he telling me the truth? Do I just buy 16" rims and tires and have them put on without anything else being done to the FC? Thanks so much.
Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslieotr View Post
With the advent of the Goodyear Endurance tires and the ability to get a good trailer tire in 15" size, what are the advantages of switching to 16" tires? My salesman said the 16 will fit on my 2017 25' FC without any modifications to the wheel well. Was he telling me the truth? Do I just buy 16" rims and tires and have them put on without anything else being done to the FC? Thanks so much.

You may have answered your own question. If the GYEs are as good as they seem so far, the benefit in going to 16s is probably mostly psychological (and there's value there too so I'm not knocking that at all). With 16" wheels you can go to the 16" LT Michelin (or presumably other brand of your choice) with an E load rating which should be plenty for your 25FC.

I took the original GYMs off when I got the trailer (a 27FB Cloud) and went with the 15" P(assenger) Michelin whose load carrying capacity had to be reduced by over 9% (divided by 1.10) for use on a trailer. Even with that lower capacity, it was plenty for my trailer which sees about 6000# on the scales loaded for camping. However - this year will be year 5 so I want to start next year with a new set of sneakers and unless the story on GYEs suddenly goes south, I'm going to get a set of them. I've seen them in person and they look MUCH better to my (untrained eyes) than the GYMs. We'll see!

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I agree with SSM, other than carlile's and maxxi's which IMO had great warranties that were used often, there were no other 15" options. ..hence the 16's and mich's P/LT as applicable.
Then Nokian's appeared and the looked pretty good with a 300lb gain in load rating for my tires...then GYE's with very similar specs. Very tough decision, especially since the nokians are now made in TN. In the end the availability was incrementally better for the gye's so i went with them. 7400 miles on their first voyage and they are great. However, it was a toss up between the two.no need to buy new rims!
Bob

BTW if you have the time and want a great tire> load rating discussion start here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-148274.html

Just keep in mind that folks opinions will be based generally on their experience meaning their TT's axle rating/TT load #'s/Bambi~dual axle etc. so know your loaded for use scale weight per axle>per tire and get down to load per tire so you know what capacity you need (maybe de-rated capacity). Note too there is a whole other discussion (this thread starting around #16 by Tireman9 but with very informative posts by CapriRacer and Action as well) re ST tires (GYE's) tires and speed ratings. The Nokians are LT tires with a higher speed rating.

Many thanks to Tireman9, CapriRacer and Action for a great education
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
I agree with SSM, other than carlile's and maxxi's which IMO had great warranties that were used often, there were no other 15" options. ..hence the 16's and mich's P/LT as applicable.
Then Nokian's appeared and the looked pretty good with a 300lb gain in load rating for my tires...then GYE's with very similar specs. Very tough decision, especially since the nokians are now made in TN. In the end the availability was incrementally better for the gye's so i went with them. 7400 miles on their first voyage and they are great. However, it was a toss up between the two.no need to buy new rims!
Bob

BTW if you have the time and want a great tire> load rating discussion start here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-148274.html

Just keep in mind that folks opinions will be based generally on their experience meaning their TT's axle rating/TT load #'s/Bambi~dual axle etc. so know your loaded for use scale weight per axle>per tire and get down to load per tire so you know what capacity you need (maybe de-rated capacity). Note too there is a whole other discussion (this thread starting around #16 by Tireman9 but with very informative posts by CapriRacer and Action as well) re ST tires (GYE's) tires and speed ratings. The Nokians are LT tires with a higher speed rating.

Many thanks to Tireman9, CapriRacer and Action for a great education

Thanks.
- Have you read my new blog post on why I still suggest 65 mph max actual towing speed?
- Yes the Nokians have higher speed rating than the ST tires but they also have lower load capacity than the ST type tires do they not?

The speed rating test is only an indication of the level of high temperature resistance and not proof of ability to operate continuously at the max speed. The Speed Symbol is not recognised by DOT it is an SAE symbol and as such their test specificially does not not mention ST type tires.
More detail in my blog.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

- Yes the Nokians have higher speed rating than the ST tires but they also have lower load capacity than the ST type tires do they not?
The Nokians are load rated at 117 which equals 2760 lbs per tire. The GYEs are load rated for 2833 lbs per tire. Not really significant difference imho. I went for the GYEs because they were easier to get. And while I do not have a lot of milage on them, (only 300miles so far) my 27 FC seems to ride more easily on the GYEs at 75 lbs pressure than it did on the Marathons at 65 lbs pressure. Go figure.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks Caffeinated. I was about to dig for the info. BTW, same experience re PSI. I also cruise at about 62mph so the over 65 issue for me is not an issue.

One other reason I went with the GYE's was that the Nokians for my TT were a 235 (vs a 225 for the GYE's and I wasn't sure if I could at the last minute make things fit in the spare hanger.

Thanks again Tireman9. I have read your blog (at least 5 times actually) and it finally clicked re actual weight per a scale (if I remember your discussion correctly). I was thinking I did have the 15% margin needed for the GYE's +65 you suggested but realized I was not using actual weight and truely have >15%. I don't really need the +65 rating but just wanted to get something with plenty of margin.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Thanks.
- Have you read my new blog post on why I still suggest 65 mph max actual towing speed?

The speed rating test is only an indication of the level of high temperature resistance and not proof of ability to operate continuously at the max speed. The Speed Symbol is not recognised by DOT it is an SAE symbol and as such their test specificially does not not mention ST type tires.
More detail in my blog.

A key part of this discussion is knowing the actual weight on EACH tire, otherwise we are just guessing. I've used the CAT scale many times, every which way to get the most accurate weight I can, and I can get an axle weight, but the scales didn't let me drive with one axle on the scale and one off to the side---wasn't room enough.

The state weight inspectors sometimes have an individual pad that a truck can drive up on for one tire. On the internet I saw one scale for around $200 and many of them for $1,300 and up. What is your opinion on this?

+dcasr

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #40
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post

A key part of this discussion is knowing the actual weight on EACH tire, otherwise we are just guessing. I've used the CAT scale many times, every which way to get the most accurate weight I can, and I can get an axle weight, but the scales didn't let me drive with one axle on the scale and one off to the side---wasn't room enough.

The state weight inspectors sometimes have an individual pad that a truck can drive up on for one tire. On the internet I saw one scale for around $200 and many of them for $1,300 and up. What is your opinion on this?

+dcasr
I saw some of those scales for sale on ebay and I gave it serious thought. Wouldn't it be great if groups could get together on them and share the costs? Course that wouldn't be too convenient for whoever needed to use it unless everyone lived close. We have a thing on the Powerstroke forum where tools will get loaned thru the mail, but shipping weight on a scale would be a different matter.