Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
I like the idea of giving the buyer a choice, and offer to do the legwork of getting the axlework done if they are willing to wait for the appointment time. When we bought our trailer, we didn't need it for another few months, but had been looking for a number of months already. We found the right trailer, and we would have taken the owner up on such an offer has it been an issue, and it would have been much appreciated, as well.

You never know, it might be a win win all around, whether the trailer gets new axles or not in the end.
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
Paul said, "I think he currently booked out to May, though not 100% sure."

That sounds about right. I called him early January and got a March 15 date - which I cancelled yesterday so you might give him another call if you want to have him do your axles.

I've had a bit of a financial life change recently, the reason for considering selling. Don't see using it before fall at earliest which is why I cancelled March axle date. No reason to replace tires and start that 5 year clock until we are at least considering a trip.

Kids are grown, would consider something a little smaller. Big enough to have a dinette. But really LOVE the space of the 34'. And have no idea how to price it. There just aren't enough 34's to get a base to work from.

If others' posts on other threads are correct, looks like I should sell it now and replace it in a year or so when the prices come down. But I gave up trying to time the stock market years ago.

Can you tell I'm undecided ?
25 K as is
Old 02-28-2021, 02:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatango View Post
I like the idea of giving the buyer a choice . . .
. . .
. . . You never know, it might be a win win all around . . .
. . .
BTW . . . a great signature IMO . . .

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Jump, and the net will appear.
+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We sold more 34's than anybody and service a bunch of them regularly. We have never needed to replace the axles on a 34. How did you determine you needed new ones?

Put 2 2x8's under the center tire and pull forward on it. If the other 2 tires still touch the ground or almost touch the ground your axles are as good as new ones.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
ANDY, is there such a quick test for two axel trailers?

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #26
ASTRID's Owner

1999 25' Safari
Running Springs , CA
Same question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We sold more 34's than anybody and service a bunch of them regularly. We have never needed to replace the axles on a 34. How did you determine you needed new ones?

Put 2 2x8's under the center tire and pull forward on it. If the other 2 tires still touch the ground or almost touch the ground your axles are as good as new ones.

Andy
I was going to ask that question, too. Why do they need replacing? Did you run over something and damage them?
gjsittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Boerne , Texas
Airstream Lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Another option a buyer might want is a lift, very cheap add-on to axle replacement. Compared to separate.

So this is interesting. How much lift can you add? What about ride/trailering, any issues? Will I need to replace my stabilizers and step? I'll need axles soon and a lift seems like a sensible upgrade for my low model (89' Excella 29').
maroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroth View Post
So this is interesting. How much lift can you add? What about ride/trailering, any issues? Will I need to replace my stabilizers and step? I'll need axles soon and a lift seems like a sensible upgrade for my low model (89' Excella 29').
I haven't done it myself, several people have put 3" lifts on. All that put on a 3" lift and mentioned handling said there was no change in handling, just a need to adjust hitch due to trailer being higher.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Lecanto , Florida
Anyone have any experience putting a lift on a triple axle trailer.
K-9Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
ANDY, is there such a quick test for two axel trailers?
https://inlandrv.com/dura-torque-axle-article/

Action
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I would sell as is, the new owner may even want to do it themselves. I changed my 2 axles myself, bought from inland rv.
ljmorr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
Action - The link to INLAND says, "However, to enhance this ‘ride” the tires, wheels, hub and drums must be balanced as an assembly. As with anything that revolves, a high frequency vibration can occur. This frequency vibration, if not corrected, can be damaging. Neglecting to balance the tire wheel hub and drum assembly on an Airstream trailer can cause rivets to shear, sheet metal fatigue, broken wires, water leaks, chassis failure, rear end separation, tire blow outs and excessive tire wear, among other things."

I've emailed INLAND but no response yet.

How/where can I get the "tire wheel hub drum assembly" balanced?

I have several of the symptoms but NO excessive tire wear. I guess that means either axles or balancing may be the problem. Specifically, both the front and rear overhead cabinets started to come loose. OODM placed braces to support them. In the rear they put posts from the cabinet to the floor. In the front the put posts from the cabinet to brackets on the front wall.

Andy - thanks for the advice. Good to hear your experience with tri-axles. It'll be a while before I can move the trailer to a level spot to check by raising the middle tire. But it will definitely be my next step.

Thanks again to all.

tomcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

I've emailed INLAND but no response yet.

How/where can I get the "tire wheel hub drum assembly" balanced?

Pretty sure Inland is not open. They are located in CA.

The balancing would need to be done locally. Inland always recommends on vehicle balancing. It is most accurate since drum/rotor & hub would be balance as well. However finding a shop that has the equipment to do that will not be easy. In addition this may be old data as axle manufacturers (Henschen) did not balance the rotating braking parts. So it may not be true with Dexter axles. The previous company that supplied axles (Henschen) closed in 2009.

I posted the link because it is good data. However that actual vendor has gone through some issues prior to COVID. Being in CA and since COVID, the issues have gotten overwhelming for that vendor.

Action
Old 03-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Pretty sure Inland is not open. They are located in CA.

The balancing would need to be done locally. Inland always recommends on vehicle balancing. It is most accurate since drum/rotor & hub would be balance as well. However finding a shop that has the equipment to do that will not be easy. In addition this may be old data as axle manufacturers (Henschen) did not balance the rotating braking parts. So it may not be true with Dexter axles. The previous company that supplied axles (Henschen) closed in 2009.

I posted the link because it is good data. However that actual vendor has gone through some issues prior to COVID. Being in CA and since COVID, the issues have gotten overwhelming for that vendor.

Action
^
Our solution..
Road force balance the wheel, it will reveal any wheel or tire run-out concerns & Centramatics.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C69C7A5F-E44E-4B10-96DF-5492314D92C5_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	389880  
Old 03-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
Our solution..
Road force balance the wheel, it will reveal any wheel or tire run-out concerns & Centramatics.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

DUH - I've been using Dynabeads in my motorcycles for 10+ years. But didn't even think about them for the Airstream.

Centramatics or beads? BIG price difference, Admittedly much less weight but I've been very happy with beads on my motorcycles.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI/FWIW -- This Inland RV thread is fairly recent: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...rv-207186.html

Also this pop-up message is at the bottom of their home page:

"Due to COVID-19 risks and the state of certain American Supply Chains, our team asks that our valued customers remain patient while we figure out better ways to support you during such unusual times. Please visit our CONTACT US page with any questions and we will try and answer them quickly as we are able"

The following thread was closed recently: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...-a-204638.html

"Inland RV site:airforums.com" search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=Inla...=airforums.com

FYI
FWIW
Old 03-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Can you tell I'm undecided ?
Have you decided to hold off on any advertising at this time?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
"Have you decided to hold off on any advertising at this time?"

Peter, thank you. I have decided not to sell at this time. After reading this and several threads and talking to my son I've decided to keep what I have.

I hope most of y'all have reached the age where you and your kids are both smart at the same time. It's a wonderful time of life!

Probably nobody interested, but rationale was that even if I waited until the "bubble bursts" to buy a smaller unit, $25,000. would probably not get me one less than 15-20 years old. Advantages of smaller unit, to us at least, don't overcome the angst of buying that vintage. Yes, mine is about to be 30 years old but "I know what I've got."

Thanks to all for your input. As always, this group is an incredible source of all things Airstream.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . makes good sense!

Well said about kids . . . nice to have new instant friends . . .

By the way, is your browser Firefox by any chance? All the extra blank lines seem to be happening a lot recently IMO.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ts-182555.html

more coming
Old 03-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Salem , Virginia
Yes I am using Firefox.

I've edited this in preview by removing extra spaces.

Single spacing between lines.

Appears to work.

And Peter, Yeah my oldest son and I started actually talking, asking each other for advice and listening about the time he turned 30. And so far I've had 22 years to enjoy it. I never mention religion or politics, well, unless I just decide to set him off. But other than those two topics, he has been a huge help with some major life decisions, like what treatment to choose when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I've helped him too.