Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Wheel chocks

Hi folks we just returned for 12 days in the Harrisburg, PA area and I have a wheel chocks question.
We currently use those yellow plastic chocks to hold our 2019 23’FBQ and use those yellow “Lego” blocks under each stabilizer with the remainder of the Lego blocks under the Jack.
At one campsite, we parked on gravel and while lifting the trailer off the ball it slid as the little yellow wheel chocks moved on the gravel.
It scared the heck outta me.

I am considering buying X Chocks and have read so many comments on the forum mostly positive and I began looking for a set of X Chocks on line.

The number of different brands and price points is confusing and I am wondering what the majority of folk on the forum are using. Which type would you recommend?
I believe that the less moving parts in these devices probably the better.

Thanks,
Keith Stamper
2019 23’ FB Flying Cloud
2018 Ford F-150 Sport 5.0 V8
Keith S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
Hi folks we just returned for 12 days in the Harrisburg, PA area and I have a wheel chocks question.
We currently use those yellow plastic chocks to hold our 2019 23’FBQ and use those yellow “Lego” blocks under each stabilizer with the remainder of the Lego blocks under the Jack.
At one campsite, we parked on gravel and while lifting the trailer off the ball it slid as the little yellow wheel chocks moved on the gravel.

I am considering buying X Chocks and have read so many comments on the forum mostly positive and I began looking for a set of X Chocks on line.

The number of different brands and price points is confusing and I am wondering what the majority of folk on the forum are using. Which type would you recommend.

Thanks,
Keith Stamper
You will get a million different opinions on this. You'll get "X-Chocks are not chocks but stabilize the rig from moving while in it..." and everything else.

I don't like the plastic chocks as they can slide as you saw. I also put a SnapPad on my tongue jack for many reasons, one of which the hard rubber seems to have the potential to "slide" less off the Lego blocks when it may be slick.

Anyway, the rubber, black chocks (from Harbor Freight) or something like them used with with X-Chocks are probably your best bet.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have always use the simple Bal Scissor Chock. It works well and we usually only use one unless we are on some type of grade. The chocks that rest on the ground can be problematic if one side has to be leveled on a couple of legos.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Had same happen once and yes, it gets your attention. After that, bought the BAL x-chocks and the rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I use the X-Chocks brand / model / type of "gizmo". I have no idea why the manual says they are not chocks, but that's what it says ..... They seem to be very robust and work quite well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:56 PM   #6
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I don't like the slick plastic pads. I made some rubber pads for my stabilizers and front jack using 3/4" heavy floor matting from Tractor Supply. Snap Pad makes some that just snap on. Amazon and various RV supply stores sell them. My wheel chocks are also made of rubber.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
piling on ... I am not a fan of the plastic chocks, as you experienced first hand they have a tendency to slide easily. I use rubber wheel chocks, but on occasion they can also slide. As a future "on arrival" suggestion, always check your parking arrangement before you disconnect from the tow vehicle, and if *any* slope (forward or backward), use extra chocks, or better yet use the X style. If any wheel is elevated on a small perch of wood blocks, that is even more delicate. Don't trust an object at rest to remain at rest. It can be very dangerous for the trailer to move uncontrolled in any direction.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I use these, they are beefier than X chocks, designed and labeled to be used as chicks.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/ultimate-tire-chock-one/
Old 06-22-2022, 12:10 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
https://www.mcmaster.com/2259T1/

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Airstream Forums mobile app
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:50 AM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Wheel chocks should be 1/4 the height of the tire, so likely those yellow chocks are way too small. They also need to follow the outer curve of the tire tightly.

The goal on the chocks is that when the tires starts to turn a small portion of the chock gets stuck under it - this is what keeps the chock from sliding away as the tire pushes against the upper portion of the chock. Too small a chock or one with the wrong curve won't allow this to happen.

I like a chock which has enough give to settle down over rougher surfaces and not skate along, but not too soft as to be rolled over easily. This is the one I've been using recently and so far it's working well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
I also put a SnapPad on my tongue jack for many reasons, one of which the hard rubber seems to have the potential to "slide" less off the Lego blocks when it may be slick.

What size did you get? My tongue jack appears to be 5.75” and I can’t find a snap pad that would fit that.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Thanks for all your advice

Folks I posted about x chocks etc and I want to thank you all for the good advice.
I am a long time travel trailer guy and until these x chocks appeared I used plastic or rubber chocks

I will purchase the Bal brand x chock which looks to be pretty substantial and also upgrade to better wheel chocks such as rubber.

Those little plastic yellow type are not suitable for the Airstream.
I learned my lesson.

Kind regards to all,
Keith Stamper.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
It really scared me. The trailer turned as the hitch came off the ball and it nearly slid off the “Lego” blocks I had placed under the jack.
Ordering an x chick and buying rubber wheel chocks.

Regards,
Keith
2019 23’ FB Flying Cloud
Old 06-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
What size did you get? My tongue jack appears to be 5.75” and I can’t find a snap pad that would fit that.
You probably have the same size diameter as mine (my jack pad is about 6"). It is a Mini 6 single for the jack pad.

https://rvsnappad.com/products/mini-6-singles

Mini-square 5 four pack for the stabilizers:

https://rvsnappad.com/products/mini-square-5-4-pack

SP has a "fit my trailer" setup online, a chat feature that works well and you can call them as well as they are very helpful.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
It really scared me. The trailer turned as the hitch came off the ball and it nearly slid off the “Lego” blocks I had placed under the jack.
Ordering an x chick and buying rubber wheel chocks.

Regards,
Keith
Hi

A worse outcome would have been the trailer starting to move and the jack snapping off the A frame. *That* is a bit involved to recover from .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:

The number of different brands and price points is confusing and I am wondering what the majority of folk on the forum are using. Which type would you recommend?

Thanks,
Keith Stamper
Keith- there is quite a bit of information (good/bad/ugly) on this thread on your topic from not long ago:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ck-233669.html

You might read some of the "experiences" many of us have had with X-chocks "slipping" on wet tires, wheel chocks not holding, and various other solutions to keeping your secure on different terrain and weather conditions.

My take away is you need a combination of X-chocks or "scissor- chocks" and wheel chocks to be safe. We use X-chocks if we are on fairly level surface. We use an Anderson type leveling chock if we need to raise one side, along with the X-chocks. Used to use the Lego blocks, but these proved to be easier and safer with the wheel chock once level, (I believe). We use in combination with the X-chocks. YMMV
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #17
CFR
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Lake Bluff , Illinois
Have been using this type of rubber wheel chock for years both on airstream and at work on larger trucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B183681-43F2-4EBC-9A4B-40082FB85F87.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	418137

Never had one slip yet. Can be configured in different ways. On a significant slope or sketchy ground conditions three chocks can be used together on a dual axle trailer. All three go between the tires on one side of the trailer. Two down against tires with third inverted and locked between the two on the ground. The step shape of this type along the sides locks the inverted chock between the two others to eliminate and movement of the chocks.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NOIZE View Post
Looks sturdy, but wow ... $99 per chock?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Have been using this type of rubber wheel chock for years both on airstream and at work on larger trucks.

Attachment 418137

Never had one slip yet. Can be configured in different ways. On a significant slope or sketchy ground conditions three chocks can be used together on a dual axle trailer. All three go between the tires on one side of the trailer. Two down against tires with third inverted and locked between the two on the ground. The step shape of this type along the sides locks the inverted chock between the two others to eliminate and movement of the chocks.
Used these on our 5er as well. They work well. Worked so well, many times I had to gently nudge our rig a bit, once hooked to the TV, to be able to remove them.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A worse outcome would have been the trailer starting to move and the jack snapping off the A frame. *That* is a bit involved to recover from .....

Bob
I don’t even want to think of what could have happened Bob.
It was scary enough.

Keith
2019 23’ FB Flying Cloud