Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
RV parking in Burnaby British Columbia

Anyone have any knowledge of somewhere with full hook-up in or near Burnaby B.C. for a 24' trailer? I'm trying to get as close as possible to the velodrome. I don't know the area but supposedly it's "located just below SFU on Barnet Highway in Burnaby." Where ever that is. Looking to go up for the six day the first week in January.

http://www.burnabyvelodrome.ca/
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
right here...

is where we stayed during the summer. It's a short drive (even shorter bike ride... no parking issues) to the "train."http://www.bcrv.com/

Indoor pool, clean, next to a wooded park, Costco close by. Plenty of space for a 24 ft trailer. I'm sure it'll be quiet at this time of year. You don't park your car at the site, you park it in the nearby parking lot, so all you see are the trailers, grass, and paved roads/sites. As I said, clean. Full hookkups. GREAT RV wash station... it's like a truck wash. Kind of an interesting area.... although wooded, and a park close by (there's a small stream/river in back with a walking / running trail - could bike it, but it's only about 1.5 miles long... pretty though), it's also an industrial area. We used the train/subway to get into Vancouver (buy the all-day pass).

Where's the velodrome? I'm assuming it's indoors? Are you riding? I hear rumors that Tacoma will build an indoor velodrome soon too.
Marc
Edit - wow! I saw the pics of the velodrome. How cool! We should be going up before x-mas to see the "original Bodies" exhibit at the Sci Center in Vancouver. We'll be staying here again. Not many places to camp in the area, there's another place at the end of the Lyon's Gate Bridge, but it's basically a parking lot, and traffic is worse from this area.

Fill up prior to going across the border, gas is around 4/gallon. Yikes!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Thanks; border crossing tips?

THANKS, that place sounds perfect! Less than 10 km from the velodrome and sounds like a great setting.

Any tips on crossing the border? Any special regulations/permits/etc with a travel trailer? We have Passports from travel to Europe; any reason to bring them?

I know with a kid having picture ID for them helps. I think the wife will come this time but we might bring one of my son's friends. I know they can be a bit sticky about kids sans parents or even with a single parent. I guess running to Canada is common in custody battles.

I know the Suma truck crossing usually saves some time.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
bernie...

Had no problem going or coming really. Our nephew from Germany came with us and brought his (and ours) passports. Did get asked "why would you camp in Kelowna?".......... I said "because it's nice?......"

I'd definately bring the passports, and a signed, notorized paper from the parents of the friend stating that it's ok for you to have him. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the truck stop is a better crossover, we came back in some small town in eastern WA, even with the search, it didn't take too long.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can tow with snow tires..... I think I'll travel first and then put them on. I'm also looking into a limited slip diff from Randy's Ring and Pinion to help me out.
stay warm!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
There's a crossing at Sumas, one at Lynden, then at Blaine there's the truck crossing and Peace Arch. The latter two are generally quite busy with construction underway at the truck crossing, and in particular this past weekend on Sunday, with so many Thanksgiving people returning home and a big snow storm here, the line up going south at Peace Arch was 6 miles long. Yep, 10 km's. I'm sure there were more than a few frustrated people in the line up. Sumas is probably your best bet, then west on the Trans Canada Hwy 1 but keep in mind that from about 6 to 9 in the morning and 3 to 6 in the evening on weekdays the traffic going west is very heavy until after you get over the Port Mann bridge. Weekends are less of a problem.

Bring as much paperwork as you can for the youngster. Both ways you have the chance of being asked to prove he's with you legitimately. I'd also make sure you have a way to contact one of his parents by phone if customs wants to ask them questions.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote