Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thanks Ron and Debbie. Meeting this distinguished gentleman was one of those serendipitous moments I will always treasure.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #62
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Great pictures Sugarfoot.It remains one of my favorite parts of the country.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Absolutely amazing pictures! I've only been able to take such nice shots by accident. (Actually, we're trying to learn more. Used your shots as examples for discussion of what elements make a nice pic, part of a little self-guided web-course we're playing with.)

Lynn
Old 12-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #64
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up

Hi Sugarfoot,

Breathtaking images, well done indeed!

I too have been to both Zion and the GC, and I made it down to Phantom Ranch for a few days, still, you can get so much closer to Zion. Hiking Zion and Bryce's slot canyons is like traveling back in time!

Of all the places I've been The Grand Canyon knocked me over, I'd like to revisit both this year!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #65
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Of all the places I've been The Grand Canyon knocked me over, I'd like to revisit both this year!

Michael
Rodney had a thread about a photo workshop rally on the north rim in June. I have not heard anything about it recently, but that would be a great place to camp for a few days.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Absolutely amazing pictures! I've only been able to take such nice shots by accident. (Actually, we're trying to learn more. Used your shots as examples for discussion of what elements make a nice pic, part of a little self-guided web-course we're playing with.)

Lynn
Lynn, my shots WERE by accident. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time in the right light, yada, yada. You should see the 238 other photos, only a few gems out of all. Thank goodness for digital.

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone. Now Rodney, who started this thread, is a real photo artist. Those who haven't checked out his web page should (professor_chaos's Photo Galleries at pbase.com ), and I've seem some fabulous photo posts of his. If he had been standing in my spot those few days I was out west, he would have worked magic. I'm sure his a photo workshop rally would be awesome!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

I spent some time in montana between Missoula and down into the northern part of yellowstone. But I really can't say what the photo ops are as I WAS suffering with an absessed tooth.
But I have spent the past 3 summers in the four corners region and can tell you almost anywhere you can go a great photo can result. Tent Rock north of ABQ, anywhere along the road from santa fe and taos. Across the Brazos between Taos and TA, Any of the area around pagosa springs west back into NM along 64 through bloomfield and Gobenador around shiprock down to Chaco. A wonderfully spritual place. Up to Bisti. The Animas River north of Durango is one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever seen. Southern Utah is beyond belief. Many places to boondock I cannot be specific as we usually stay in developed campgrounds.
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #68
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Lynn, my shots WERE by accident. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time in the right light,........ Now Rodney, who started this thread, is a real photo artist. ......... If he had been standing in my spot those few days I was out west, he would have worked magic. I'm sure his a photo workshop rally would be awesome!
I LOVE your shots Sugarfoot! Thanks for the kind words about my work though . I think the main thing where photography is concerned is to do just what you did, you got there in the right light and used your camera. I am hopeful that there will be enough interest to get a photo rally off the ground this year, it would be fun to make it an annual thing that moves around to different sites...........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks Rodney. I'll be watching for your photo rally info. Keep us posted on your planned route out west. Of course, plans are written in sand, but goals are to be written in concrete! You better promise to share your experiences and photos. Someone mentioned a blog. Now you've got a bunch of us watching in envy.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #70
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The clock is ticking

Here is the update. I will be leaving the middle TN area around May 30th and will drift west to the North Rim of the Canyon by June 8th. I figure to generally drift north free form taking it as it comes. Feel free to give me ideas of places to see.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Spectacular photography Sugarfoot. They could be oil paintings they are so beautiful. Thanks for including the wonderful story of the old photographer. I can just imagine how good you were feeling.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #72
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Camping at Monument Valley?

What are the camping options at Monument Valley? Boondocking and simple sites prefered but electric sites are OK also.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Rod ---When at Mon. Val you're on the Navajo res. Once off that there is lots of public lands you can camp on free. At Mon Vall. there is a comercial camp with ful hookups. "Goulding Lodge" complete with restraunt etc. Reservations will be a MUST this time of the year. If you have 2 months you will be surprised how quickly that passes once here as there is just so much to see and enjoy. We've been living here since 1974 and vacationed here years before. I feel like we've just scratched the surface as to seeing what's here. enjoy-------pieman

PS we'll be workamping at the south rim all summer---come see us
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #74
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I will wave from the north rim

I will be on the north rim early in the trip. I can wave across the big ditch. Are there decent spots around Farmington for camping? If I recall the road into Chaco is no road to tow down (is that right?).

Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yes, I'd kind of like to hear about Farmington camping, too! We're headed out of here next week, headed for Zion NP. We'll take the northern route across 64 to Farmington, then through Kayenta, Page, Jacob's Lake, Fredonia, Hurricane, and into Springdale and the park. We figure we can make Farmington by the first evening, maybe Jacob's like by the next night. What we haven't figured out yet is where to stay enroute.

Lynn
Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Rodney, you asked about Sinbad, west of Green River. Here's a real quick and shallow summary--

Drop the Airstream on the north side of exit 129. You can park in the junipers just west of the exit road, or go north about 400 yards in a more flat area. I've camped here several times, in both locations, but the one of the west is a little hilly and I've only been in there in the Caravel.

Things to do:

The first map is from the state highway map. At this scale I'll point out Goblin Valley down route 24. There is a little known area of petroglyphs to the west of the Goblins, ask at the gate. The wedge overlook straight north of exit 129 is a view into the San Rafael river gorge, much like a mini grand canyon. You need a good map to track the back roads here, and a gps is a good idea. It's simple to drive the road as far as the river, then follow the river bottom to see multiple petroglyphs. The photo is north from the campsite to the Wickiup hill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PS0023 state.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	35990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3891 Wickiup-s.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	35998

At the 250K scale here, you can see the overlook down at the next exit to the west, which is spectacular.

Name:	PS0025 250K.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	454.4 KB
ID:	35991

At 100K, you can see how to follow the dirt roads to an area of red rocks and petroglyphs a few miles west of camp. The path along the roads is about 9 miles, but the whole area is worth driving through and exploring. Dutchman Arch is at the western edge of the map.

Name:	PS0027 100K.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	35992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3830 sinbad petroglyphs-s.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	35994

This 100K map shows the area west of the petroglyphs. You can see the blue GPS track showing precisely what the previous map sketches out. The magenta shows an exit (not an official exit) that takes you into a Utah DOT maintenance yard where you can park and explore more interesting rocks and perhaps startle the same Big Horn Sheep herd I ran into. This turnoff is about half way to the next exit and you'll go right past it it you don't look for the dirt road and gate.

Name:	PS0029 DOT.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	35993

There are multiple layers of red rocks and lava in this area.

Name:	IMG_3859 ledge edge-s.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	35995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3872 rock tooth and water-s.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	35997

Name:	IMG_3869 japanese arch-s.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	35996

It's a great area. Ought to be a park. Go here San Rafael Swell - Pictographs & Petroglyphs - Guide & Pictures for excellent additional info and photos.

Zep
Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
where to stay enroute

Lynn,
I would recommend staying a night at Lees Ferry right on the Colorado River just off Hwy Alt 89. Great views, no hookups.

Be sure to hang out and watch the river rafters getting launched before departing in the morning.

Stop at the Colorado bridge parking lot and walk out on the bridge to see Condors roosting on the shear cliff walls.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/JerryH/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Yes, I'd kind of like to hear about Farmington camping, too! We're headed out of here next week, headed for Zion NP. We'll take the northern route across 64 to Farmington, then through Kayenta, Page, Jacob's Lake, Fredonia, Hurricane, and into Springdale and the park. We figure we can make Farmington by the first evening, maybe Jacob's like by the next night. What we haven't figured out yet is where to stay enroute.

Lynn
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #78
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Lynn,
I would recommend staying a night at Lees Ferry right on the Colorado River just off Hwy Alt 89. Great views, no hookups.
What campground? Is it Forest Service? BLM? Private? Cost? Details please

Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
What campground?

Visited June 2005: Lees Ferry campground (928 355-2319) $12/night, no hookups, no reservations, has dump, 35’ maximum length.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/glca/lferry.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
What campground? Is it Forest Service? BLM? Private? Cost? Details please
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yeah, but for us, Lee's Ferry is just a bit too far for us to make it in a day, and a bit too short for us to stop over on the way up to Zion.

You know, the really big problem is that nowadays you practically can't visit Zion NP and stay at the campground without a reservation. That sticks us to a schedule that we're not exactly used to dealing with.

Lynn