Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Farmington answer---Mom & Pops Rv in Farmington--not fancy but a place with reasonable $$ hookups.. Walmart on east main as well as Sams next door----- Bloomfield 13 miles east of Farmington on rt 550 has a KOA. Not much, mostly long term folks and a bit run down, adiquite only.

Lees Ferry campground is a basic no hookup campground located at a really neat historic little corner of the world. It's run by the NPS and is self registration --usually a camp host present----there are restrooms,dump station and water filling available, no showers---lots of neat day hiking around the area---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
One more campground on your way---Navajo National Monument is west of Kayenta ----free camping --a nine mile paved road ---limited number of sites and few large sites.----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
One more campground on your way---Navajo National Monument is west of Kayenta ----free camping --a nine mile paved road ---limited number of sites and few large sites.----pieman
I'd second this one, too. We stayed there for several days a couple of years ago to explore the ruins. The campground is very pleasant, too! Alas, it is more than a day's drive from Angel Fire (at least at the pace that Maria and I make time).

Lynn
Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
If you make it into Arizona, you might like the White Mountains (near Greer, Springer, Eagerville). They're in the eastern-central portion of the state, just west of the New Mexico border. They're so unlike our Sonoran desert that it's hard to believe they're really in Arizona: altitudes of 8,000 - 10,000 feet, where prairies are interspersed among pine, spruce, and aspen forests. The Little Colorado River is small but charming, and it offers great trout fishing. There are also many smaller lakes and one larger one (aka, "Big Lake"...clever, huh?). Lots of appealing campsites in the Apache-Sitgreaves national forest...privacy and beautiful views. But be prepared to tow your Airstream along reasonably well maintained dirt and gravel forest service roads. The wildlife is astounding: large elk herds, pronghorn antelope, mule deer, and...wolves. Actually, I'm not sure about the wolves any more. The area was a cornerstone for the "Mexican Gray Wolf Reintroduction" program, and when I was last there I had the thrill of seeing two wolves stalking game at dusk. But since then the govt's wildlife biologists apparently botched things up in an effort to "reduce predation" on cattle. They accidentally broke one wolf's leg while trapping it, and they accidentally shot one or two others. So I think I read something saying they'd removed the remaining wolves while the "experts" tried to regroup. But even without wolves, this area is worth seeing. It inspired the writings of the turn-of-the-century conservationist, Aldo Leopold, so if you'd like to know more about the area, you might check out his book: A Sand Country Almanac. It contains several essays about the area. And when you're done in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest (and yes, there is an Apache reservation in the area, where Geronimo once made his home), you'll be just a one-day-haul from either the petrified forest, the painted desert, Monument Valley, or the Grand Canyon.
TitusLivy is offline   Reply With Quote