Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I didn't see it mentioned in previous posts, but all Navajo National parks are closed due to the pandemic. This includes Four Corners National Monument and Window Rock. I did see that Canyon de Chelly might still be open for tours. Not sure about Monument Valley. Just check ahead for any traveling on the Navajo Reservation.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #22
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
I didn't see it mentioned in previous posts, but all Navajo National parks are closed due to the pandemic. This includes Four Corners National Monument and Window Rock. I did see that Canyon de Chelly might still be open for tours. Not sure about Monument Valley. Just check ahead for any traveling on the Navajo Reservation.
We camped at Navajo State park in CO last week. Maybe that is an exception as it is state run?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
My first time driving 550 from Montrose to Durango was in the middle of the night and in a snow storm driving a semi truck. That was 44 years ago and for the following 14 years I drove it 4 times per week at night. I have also pulled my 28ft International over this road dozens of times. As someone mentioned the worst part of the road is from Ouray south for about five miles or so. Just respect the road and take you time to enjoy the beauty of the scenery. You truck and trailer should give you no problems on that route.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The most white knuckle part is the first five miles out of Ouray.
After that there's actually nice flat areas.
A question for you Locals, Not long after leaving Ouray, if you look right across the ravine is a cabin on the side of the mountain. It appears to have no way to get to it, but there's always laundry on the line. I decided it's a spoof, and the laundry is actually plywood painted. I wanted a picture, but there's no pull over anywhere near.
What's the story?

I might have found it!
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/574490496205107721/
My Ouray friend says It’s the Sutton Mine trail. Locals put out laundry to make us think someone lives there.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Except the last time I drove that road, there were places where the pavement edge with the white line had crumbled and the white line was down in the canyon somewhere....

It is well marked now - just drove over last weekend
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Navajo Nation has closed all tribal parks until next year. There are nightly and weekend curfews on the Rez. They have brought down the infections and are working hard to keep them down. Navajo State Park is, I believe, not on the Rez and is a Colorado state, not a tribal, park.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida

I would turn out at Ridgway and go past Telluride down to Delores and Cortez. Less traffic, not as many steep sections.

Most of the replies in this thread are correct, you should have no problems on 550. But if you did have a tyre or tow vehicle problem you are screwed. No place to pull over and you would need to block both lanes if you tried to change a tyre, assuming you had enough wheel chocks to stop the rig from moving.

We drove up to Wolf Creek Pass on US 160 yesterday (Sat Oct 10 - sunny & 70 degrees) and observed CODOT using a wheel loader and chains to drag a tractor / trailer off the pavement after it lost its brakes going downhill on the second westbound hairpin turn and rolled over on its side - complete total loss.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
These comments and the recent experience of driving from Ouray to Durango towing our 25 ft AS FC, make me all the more convinced that trading for the RAM 2500 Diesel was a wise move. I loved my Tundra but it in no way compares with the security of the RAM on that highway and others in that area.

Too bad I couldn’t enjoy the view, all I remember was the view directly in front of the truck. My wife says it was spectacular.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
Google Maps does show Four Corners as being closed.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
2017 22' Sport
Coral Canyon, Washington City , Utah
The 550 from Durango to Silverton is a steep grade. I left our 2015 Sport 16 at Trimble Hot Springs and RV Park. I think it has new owners and renamed Durango Hot Springs. The soak is perfect. About 5-6 miles out of Durango. There is a nice llittle market across the hwy.

Pogosa Hot Springs is 50 mionutes east, but well worth the drive.
MrStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think Red Mtn. Pass has the most switchbacks of the three passes on this route. The grade going north into Silverton is steep and long. Lots of scary parts for people not used to mountain driving. There are a number of roads that scare some people and are normal to others—US 550, The various highways along the Cal. coast, the highway between Angel Fire and Taos, and so on. We've been on a lot of them with or without trailers. Some are more nervewracking than others.

If you're used to stop and go commuting or flatland driving, these highways are new to you and maybe a challenge. If you never drive in snow, snow will be hard (I have lived in severe winter areas for most of my adult life and still don't like towing in snow, but have done it without problems). I don't like heights, but drive anyway. Sometimes it gets to me and you will not find me on the Going to Sun Highway (tried it once, not fun). Just look at that thing and tell me it is not ready to fall off the side of the shear drop it is carved into.

Some drivers are always nervous and you've certainly been behind them—they drive 10 miles below the speed limit, take forever to make left turns, apply (or ride) the brakes on the slightest curve or changes in the highway. You may be one and towing a trailer must be hard to do for you. There are lots of reasons why some people are very, very cautious and all I want is for them to pullover when cars are piling up behind them. My wife doesn't like to tow though heavy traffic areas, but she grew up in a city of 100,000 and I grew up in one of 7,000,000. Traffic is the norm to me, though I don't like it. But rush hour traffic can be difficult while dragging a trailer around in places you are not familiar with. I prefer thousand foot drop-offs to some cities at rush hour—but we both drive though cities at times because that is necessary. US 550 is not necessary of course. Beautiful drive, so are all the others you can take. So take them all. Stay a while. Please go home just before you run out of money.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Did the GJ to Ridgeway to Telluride to Delores...

OP here. After all the various and good advice I decided to not go south from Grand Junction via Silverton to Mesa Verde area with a trailer in tow. In future, if blessed, I will go that route without trailer first. I went via the turn at Ridgeway and then past Telluride and on through Delores. Pleasant. And somewhat benign.

I have lived in 7 states west of Mississippi, including Alaska, Wyoming, Arizona and California (and 2 in mountainous east) and have worked in remote areas doing DoD work. Accustomed to driving twisting and steep roads in a large Dodge Double Cab Powerwagon. But in my younger “No Fear” days. My own risk tolerance has decreased with age, but I only wear a mask to put others at ease. I’ve also driven 15 years in Indonesia, in Jakarta (some of densest traffic in world and very different style of “right of way”) and Java in general on steep and twisting roads routing around volcanoes. And in the rocky canyons and wadi of Oman in Middle East. But none of this with a trailer in tow. So that has been my big adjustment as a new trailer owner.

For those of you who have driven both the GJ to Durango/Mesa Verde area on both the 50/550 through Silverton and on the other route through Telluride/Delores/Cortez (or the visa-versa route) if you scored them on a scale 1-10 as to scarriest or nerve-wracking with the 50/550 pegged at 9.5 or 10 as a basis, how would you score or rank the Telluride route. This will help me judge them on more of a comparative basis, even I have not driven the 50/550.

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #33
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
The Telluride route would be about a 4. Nice, some beautiful scenery along the way, but definitely not scary. Ouray to Silverton is probably a 9, predominantly due to the section just outside of Ouray. I have gone through that section when the road was eroding off into oblivion. I have pulled my Airstream Sport 22 over it twice, but it definitely a bit nerve wracking through that part of the road. Absolutely beautiful, however.
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Stephen, sounds like you have already done the trip. A leisurely day on 550 without trailer can be a great drive and a visit to Silverton. There are some side trips from there to. With just the truck, maybe a visit to ghost town Las Animus or some of the less scary remote pass roads that can be done with a full sized truck. We’ll arrive in Bluff Saturday (unless my unruly back keeps acting up) and maybe you’ll stop by.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP53 View Post
The Telluride route would be about a 4. Nice, some beautiful scenery along the way, but definitely not scary. Ouray to Silverton is probably a 9, predominantly due to the section just outside of Ouray. I have gone through that section when the road was eroding off into oblivion. I have pulled my Airstream Sport 22 over it twice, but it definitely a bit nerve wracking through that part of the road. Absolutely beautiful, however.
Thanks, very telling regarding the scoring comparison. My problem with the 550, even without trailer, is that I probably would not be able to enjoy the beauty given the vertigo and inability to take my eyes off of the lines on the road either side of my vehicle.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Stephen, sounds like you have already done the trip. A leisurely day on 550 without trailer can be a great drive and a visit to Silverton. There are some side trips from there to. With just the truck, maybe a visit to ghost town Las Animus or some of the less scary remote pass roads that can be done with a full sized truck. We’ll arrive in Bluff Saturday (unless my unruly back keeps acting up) and maybe you’ll stop by.
Yes Gene, took the Ridgeway, Telluride, Delores, Cortez route to Mesa Verde area. Staying in the Mesa RV Resort just down road from MV entrance. Nice enough place, nice owners and nice 20% veteran’s discount. Given two years ago I tent camped right in front of the 3 primary monuments in Navajo Monument Valley, have been to and hiked in Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly and driven part of Ancients, I will probably head SE from Mancos and Durango. I want to visit the Valles Caldera National Preserve area outside Los Alamos. Take care and safe travels.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I think Red Mtn. Pass has the most switchbacks of the three passes on this route.
Indeed, but there's another factor for us 'flatlanders'.
Diminishing radius curves.
You can see the road making a gentle curve to the left behind the mountain. As you get comfortable in the turn, the road suddenly turns much sharper. It's following the mountain, and not the engineers blueprint.
I love, love, love that road, but it takes my breadth away every time. I've done it on motorcycles and cars, and motorcycles were easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091319_most_dangerous_roads_rv_slide_3_fs.max-784x410.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	380923  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Has anyone driven Hwy 9 over Hoosier Pass between Breckenridge and Alma, CO.?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Many times!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Yes, many times here too. Not as nearly as curvy (some say 'scary') or long as the Million Dollar Hwy - just a couple of tight turns. Also there aren't the same kind of drop-offs like on Million Dollar Hwy.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote