Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
where to fill up with fresh water

Kinda a dumb question, but I'll chalk it up to being an AS newbie. (got our first Airstream in May) We are heading out on CA 395 for a week of boondock camping. We also going up to Lassen in November. Non of these places have water hookups or spigots to fill our fresh water tank. Lassen actually shuts off the water in October.

I don't want to tow the AS full of water, so where do most people fill up the tank along the way before setting up camp? Gas station, Wal-Mart? Any ideas, suggestions would be great.
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmall01 View Post
Kinda a dumb question, but I'll chalk it up to being an AS newbie. (got our first Airstream in May) We are heading out on CA 395 for a week of boondock camping. We also going up to Lassen in November. Non of these places have water hookups or spigots to fill our fresh water tank. Lassen actually shuts off the water in October.

I don't want to tow the AS full of water, so where do most people fill up the tank along the way before setting up camp? Gas station, Wal-Mart? Any ideas, suggestions would be great.
Why tow empty?

After all that IS the reason for having a FW tank.

We filter fill at home. 👍
Recommend a quality filter no matter where you fill the tanks.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Fill it full at home. Makes no difference in towing. Actually may be more stable with lower center of gravity.

Fill it again wherever you go to dump the gray and black tanks. Just don't fill from faucets painted red, and always use the basic blue Camco water filter at a minimum when filling from strange sources.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We always fill at home before we travel.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As noted, fill up at home. When you get a chance, top off on the road. Many Pilot/Flying J Truck stops have potable water at the RV lanes or nearby. Most private campgrounds will let you dump and top off your water for a small fee.

I never leave home or a campground that has potable water without topping off.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, ALL WATER NEEDS TO BE FILTRED.

Never trust any water source.

I re plumbed my water system so that city and tank water merged before my high volume dual filter system treats the water
At the merge point, both water sources go through their own one way check valve. Thus the dont flow into the other source

You can get the high flow water fileres at home depot
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
we fill at service stations, truck stops almost always have water at island where trucks fuel. We never drink the water from the tank
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
We have friends we caravan with at times, that if fully loaded, like to get over Donner Summit with FW tanks empty, so people do that.

Look for RV parks along your route. Like kscherzi said above, your going to have to dump too. Dumping actually becomes more important. You can always buy jugs of water in a pinch, but you can't just open the valves anywhere you want.

The huge KOA Boomtown, outside of Reno, was $10 to dump and fill. Same with the RV park in Chico when we lived there. I'd imagine most others are similar.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I fill the FW tank at home before traveling like many others have suggested. At first I was also concerned about towing the extra weight but I've noticed no difference, either in the towing experience or in MPG.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
thanks all. our TV is a v6 grand cherokee so was a bit concerned about the extra weight of the water.. but sounds like the vast majority of people fill up before heading out.
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Some RV parks might be willing to sell you a tank of fresh water near your destination. Just don't let them direct you to the faucet near the dump station.
Lynn
Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I always fill up before heading out.

When I know I will be boondocking, I usually spend the night before in a campground with hookups, emptying tanks and topping off fresh water.

Maggiw
Old 10-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Fill before I go and top off wherever I can.

Important part:

Get a water filter that goes on the fill hose. Why trust strange water?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
Filtering..

Is the importance of filtering more for drinking water or it is also important for preservation of components within the trailer?

Thanks

Ken
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Cedar Falls , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
I agree with many on this thread. Fill up at home and always try to travel with a full tank. Increases your low center of gravity and thus ur safety.
hahnstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If you’re going to drink water from your on board tank, I would only fill up from a known source, from home as you are more likely to know the quality or have had it tested or have a report from your provider / municipality. In the absence I personally use bottled water as it at least has been tested by the bottler. That’s me.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don’t hesitate to fill up at public and private campgrounds around the country, and never had any issue in 18 years.

The filter is most important for neutralizing the taste of water in various parts of the country, in my experience.

I drink the water from my own tank after sanitizing each year once I have dewinterized.

Maggie
Old 10-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I don’t hesitate to fill up at public and private campgrounds around the country, and never had any issue in 18 years.

The filter is most important for neutralizing the taste of water in various parts of the country, in my experience.

I drink the water from my own tank after sanitizing each year once I have dewinterized.

Maggie

This is it! We have safe water in the US. Yes, there are places where it might be high in iron, or sulfur or....simply does not taste as good as what I am used to. Is it safe? No question. When is the last time you heard of someone contracting a serious disease when drinking from a city tap? We do like Maggie does. Fill your tank at home after you sanitize your tank. If you are really concerned I suggest you take along some "home" water in a 5 gallon tote, or two. In a pinch, use campground water. You will be safe doing so .
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
This is it! We have safe water in the US. Yes, there are places where it might be high in iron, or sulfur or....simply does not taste as good as what I am used to. Is it safe? No question. When is the last time you heard of someone contracting a serious disease when drinking from a city tap? We do like Maggie does. Fill your tank at home after you sanitize your tank. If you are really concerned I suggest you take along some "home" water in a 5 gallon tote, or two. In a pinch, use campground water. You will be safe doing so .
Dearborn and Flint, MI. Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Newark and many others report high lead content among other contaminants. We use a Camcorder filter and Berkey filter for drinking water. Better safe
Elkhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I fill my tank at campgrounds, using an inline filter as mentioned above. I also fill it at my RV storage facility before heading out. We've got a small Britta pitcher that we use for drinking water, so it is essentially double filtered.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote