Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
How to price an Airstream

Looking to get some insight as to what my restored Airstream is worth -- so I can price it considering today's market conditions. So I ask:
- How is the current market?
- How and where would I determine fair market value?

While I understand that something is worth what someone is willing to pay, I am looking for a clearer picture on how to value our airstream.

We have had it appraised, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is what the market will yield.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Make a judgement call after researching the major For Sale sites:

www.airstreammarketplace.com
www.airstreamclassifieds.com
www.airstreamforsale.com
marketplace.airstreamhunter.com
www.rvt.com
www.rvtrader.com

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The problem with a restored AS is that every single one is a bit unique. Even if they all where same same many decades later very few of any one model / year are sold in a "few months to maybe a year" time frame. Toss in condition / level of restoration on top of that and it's insane .... An unrestored trailer that's a good deal at $10,000 might be a fine deal at $50,000 with this or that level of restoration. It might also max out at a different number ...

Without knowing anything about your AS ( trailer / motor home / year / model ) there's no way to even guess what might be a reasonable starting point. It could be 70 years old or it could be 15 years old. Newer is easier to guess ....

If you have an appraisal, start with that and maybe tack 10% on. If your appraisal is nutty high you won't see much activity.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, looking at the "completed auctions" for roughly similar trailers on ebay used to offer a pretty good glimpse of what people were willing to pay, not sure right now.

The market is definitely crazy...crazy high. If you are thinking about selling, now is the time. Of course you might regret not waiting 6 months from now....

There is an active thread right now where a guy bought a 60 something globetrotter that probably needs a lot of work for $18 and is wondering if he got rooked. Another guy is looking at a long 80's trailer and wondering if it is worth $22k. Another guy recently put a new frame under his 70's vintage shell and sold it as an aborted project for $15-18k as I recall, and it moved within a couple of days, even with gaping holes where window frames had yet to be rivetted back in place.

So, what the heck--think of a price you would like to get, then up it by 30%, and see what happens.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Good feedback. Thank you for that info and all makes sense.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Well, looking at the "completed auctions" for roughly similar trailers on ebay used to offer a pretty good glimpse of what people were willing to pay, not sure right now.

The market is definitely crazy...crazy high. If you are thinking about selling, now is the time. Of course you might regret not waiting 6 months from now....

There is an active thread right now where a guy bought a 60 something globetrotter that probably needs a lot of work for $18 and is wondering if he got rooked. Another guy is looking at a long 80's trailer and wondering if it is worth $22k. Another guy recently put a new frame under his 70's vintage shell and sold it as an aborted project for $15-18k as I recall, and it moved within a couple of days, even with gaping holes where window frames had yet to be rivetted back in place.

So, what the heck--think of a price you would like to get, then up it by 30%, and see what happens.

good luck!
Hi

The gotcha is that those all are very much "un restored" trailers. Based on the original post, the trailer in question has already been through the restoration process. That makes it sound like it's "ready to camp". That's a whole different ballpark of prices ....

Bob
Old 10-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Agreed, I was just offering examples of the crazy pricing and the manic demand for trailers these days. Just suggesting that if you think your restored trailer is worth $45k in a sane world, then go ahead and ask $60K and get ready for the avalanche of offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The gotcha is that those all are very much "un restored" trailers. Based on the original post, the trailer in question has already been through the restoration process. That makes it sound like it's "ready to camp". That's a whole different ballpark of prices ....

Bob
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Napa , California
https://polkassociates-llc.com/

Polk Associates gave a seminar recently at the Region 12 rally in Paso Robles. They appraise 25 - 40 AS per month and give you a nice packet as a sales tool. They constantly monitor the market and update their files.
wineteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineteam View Post
https://polkassociates-llc.com/

Polk Associates gave a seminar recently at the Region 12 rally in Paso Robles. They appraise 25 - 40 AS per month and give you a nice packet as a sales tool. They constantly monitor the market and update their files.
Hi

Based on the original post, there already is an appraisal on the trailer. The objective seems to be to second guess / check out that appraisal.

Bob
Old 10-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Hi

Based on the original post, there already is an appraisal on the trailer. The objective seems to be to second guess / check out that appraisal.

Bob
It depends when he got it appraised. If it was 2 or more years ago he might be able to double the price.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
It depends when he got it appraised. If it was 2 or more years ago he might be able to double the price.
Hi

The implication was that the appraisal was recent ... who knows without input from the OP ....

Bob
Old 10-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Hi

The implication was that the appraisal was recent ... who knows without input from the OP ....

Bob
True, he just wasn't clear.

Also I don't know if, when or how an appraiser could accurately adjust the value for a crazy market like is out there now.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
True, he just wasn't clear.

Also I don't know if, when or how an appraiser could accurately adjust the value for a crazy market like is out there now.
Hi

I don't think there's anybody who can do that *accurately*. From what I've seen dealers doing, they simply are putting up over the top prices and waiting to see what happens. If they can't figure things out .... nobody can.

Bob
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , California
Its funny I read this, two months ago, I went to a Airstream Dealer for a part. I noticed that the lot was EMPTY. Everything was sold out, my wife just asked, how much would a 32' 1983 sovereign go for. The Agent said "as much as $120,000. Depending on the buyer".
nhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
We had a replacement value insurance policy on our 1967 Overlander. It took some arm twisting, but the company would do $25,000. It's restored, though not with an original interior. Everything was changed to suit us. It's polished. The frame is solid. The axles are new. Hey, go down the list of all of the stuff we do, and there you have it.

Given the crazy prices on everything, I'm guessing we could get $30,000 to $40,000. There have been a few moments where I would have taken half that, mostly when something is broken, leaking, or otherwise vexing me. It's a labor of love, and those do not translate well to pricing.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
following this thread

This is really interesting. i restored/ renovated a 1980 20' Caravelle. It has a bunch of cool features and is ready to camp and set up great for boondocking. There are still a few details that could be finished, but it is completely functional and comfortable. It isn't going to work out for us in the future since it is built for camping with 2 adults and 2 kids and we are moving into the just two adults part of our lives and want a larger bed and don't want so much space dedicated to bunk beds. I've wondered about selling it if everything isn't completely finished, though. The unfinished things are:
-fine tuning the exterior door so it closes/opens more easily.
-putting the lower accent strip around the trailer (the thin channel that holds the blue rubber strip)
-Putting a small door on the bathroom cabinet.
Is the market such that those kinds of details don't make a big difference or is it worth it to bust a move and finish things up? It kind of breaks my heart to think about selling, but we aren't using it as much now and I need to be honest.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Looking to get some insight as to what my restored Airstream is worth -- so I can price it considering today's market conditions. So I ask:
- How is the current market?
- How and where would I determine fair market value?

While I understand that something is worth what someone is willing to pay, I am looking for a clearer picture on how to value our airstream.

We have had it appraised, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is what the market will yield.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
House prices in Ca rocked up 30% this year in some areas .. trailer prices have gone nuts too ... I'm not sure things will stay like this ... those with free cash or willing to take on insane debt went for it .. others are watching
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
A few other variables:

Location, Location, Location! A coach in CA is going to go for about 10x$ than the same trailer in KY.

Airstreams are not like vintage automobiles in most respects except that you can usually always count on one in original condition going for more than a remodeled or updated version. One that has been meticulously restored to original condition may go for more. Never mind that your updates improve the trailer, or look better or how much you spent on fixing it up.

Curiously, sometimes a trailer in need of TLC will fetch more than one recently updated; I attribute that to the magical "vision" the buyer has of how they will fix it up.

If your trailer has a particularly curious history or famous PO, or was on one of the legendary caravans, it may fetch more, if the buyer cares about those things.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote