Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Price Paid to Price Asked

We are starting to look around at both new and used airstreams. Used we are looking for later models, say post-2003 or so. In looking, however, it seems that many pre-owned owners are a tad high in their expectation as regards price. Comparing, for example, the price of a new to a 2008 ["hardly used" as they always seem to be] and the price of a used 2007 to a 2005, well, the price spread does not appear even.

I am curious therefore if any recent sellers/buyers would be willing to talk about the percentage of asking price they eventually paid or had to take. I understand there are many variables; but, eventually, if you want to sell, you have to come down to a market price.

In today's environment, it seems that some sellers need to adjust their expectations. But that's just my observation. Others?

Thanks.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We bought a our 2006 Safari 25SS new for around $36,000 list was around $43,000 -- I think. We bought it at a show, and negotiated down the discounted show price by several hundred, and got a few extras in TV wiring, power, and a Black tank flush.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Arab Rug Market

We're a country where price negotiation isn't a regular day-to-day activity. We pay the full price asked on groceries, clothing, shoes, computers, etc. We "shop AROUND" for price going to different vendors. Most other places in the world DO expect bargaining for every one of these basic things... and when it comes to luxuries a two hour session of screaming, crying, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments is normal before both parties leave satisfied with the deal.

In the USA and Canada "vehicles" are our one concession to the bargaining of the open air market. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers, mohos, boats - the "list price" is the fool's price.

In the bargaining business, we're rank amateurs. All I can say is decide what you want to pay for the trailer you want to buy... and what is the most you'll be willing to be pay... then make your opening offer. Let the negotiations begin. Don't act like a jerk - be flexible - have a "walk away" figure in your head and stick to it, or very close to it.

There's a seller of a 30 ft classic here in Va. Beach who has only listed his unit locally, but he priced it go move. I've seen comparable units for $5K more. I'm sure he'll move a lot less on the price than the higher priced units.

So accept that you're going to negotiate, and begin the process.

Paula
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
I recently read a post on the south florida craigslist rv section chiding many of the sellers on there about their unreasonable expectations, pointing out that there is depreciation. Can't find it now, must have been deleted. Apparently, others agree with you. Hope you get some honest answers.
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Paradise , Texas
From what I have found NADA is quite low as to the realistic numbers people are asking for A/S's. Find one you like and negotiate from there. Most that I see in the area are not in a real financial bind to sell and wait to get close to the asking price or they just hold on a while longer. It is hard not to get emotionally involved in the buying process, but doing so normally costs one quite a bit of cash. Good Luck in your search fellow Texan and I hope you find the A/S that fits your needs and wants.
Catsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I don't have a problem negotiating for a product. Furthermore, I have learned that cash is an amazing incentive.
As a former car salesman, I was involved in negotating all day long. But in the car business, if a car wasn't selling, we eventually had to lower the price until it did sell. This is no different than ahouse. You want to sell, you find a price at which somebody is willing to buy.

Some may think the NADA books are "low" and don't reflect what an A/S is worth. But, they don't just make those numbers up. Those are based on research, auctions, etc.

A person can ask what they want but if they want to sell, they eventually have to come to what a buyer is willing to pay.

So . . . my question is [in an attempt to undrstand the seller's perspective a little bit] what motivated the seller to move in teh right direction. And what percentage of "motivation" did they have to accept.

Just curious more than anything, because--as I frequently tell people who ask me about buying cars--I have seomthing the seller wants. Cash. And as momma used to tell me: Money talks and . . . well, you probably know the rest.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
What's it Worth?

"It's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it"
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Remember - condition is very important and will demand a higher value. Best of success in your search.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Asking price on lot: 19,500.
Paid: 15,000.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Bought ours used, paid $50 less than asking price. But it was in our back yard, so no traveling to look at something and be disappointed. Loved the floor plan. PO had all the paperwork, so we knew what they had paid originally, plus our credit union was paying off their loan. We know that they din't make a killing on the unit, but we were both happy. Plus they delivered it to a local RV shop that was putting the brake and hitch system in. And so far everything has worked without any problems. Only our inexperience. Guess it is really called a learning experience.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
If you are getting a loan from a bank, they use NADA to determine the value.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
When we bought ours, I did a lot of research on price, condition, area of the country. Then I ended up with just plain dumb luck. We bought our 1997 30' Excella 1000 wide body for $15,000. It seemed like a very fair price. There is an rv dealer here in San Antonio that has a 31' Excella for sale. I believe it is a 1999. He is asking in the 20's I think

Good luck'
Bruce
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Funny how it all depends on which side you're on. As an owner of a 2009, I want to believe that I got a good deal and that Airstreams don't depreciate. If I were in your position, I would want you to believe that the $87,000 Classic that you got for $70,000 six months ago, is now worth the lint in my pocket and my eternal gratitude.
As with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle and as with anything, it's value is what you're willing to pay, not what I want. Happy hunting!
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
No reason that supply and demand should not apply here. In the year range that you are looking in the prices may be firm. Better prices may be available elsewhere but would you be willing to travel to view one. What is it worth to you? You could form a consences for a particular year Airstream by taking an average of the available trailers that you view. Condition and equiptment is a very big factor for older trailers. Tires, exterior skin, etc. Whom you buy it from is important also. Dealers are more willing to part with a trailer for cash in hand. Don't forget to verify the title! LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Buyer versus Seller.

Hi, the buyer always thinks the seller is asking too much and in many cases he is [the seller] because he knows that he will have to drop his price some to make the buyer feel like he made a good deal. The seller, if he asks for a bottom dollar price, the buyer will still want to beat him down to a rediculous price. Being a car salesman and selling someone elses cars isn't the same as when you are trying to sell your own personal property. Please remember what your thoughts were, when trying to buy something, when it's time for you to be the seller.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
When NADA prices a travel trailer at $40,000 for example, why would anyone expect to pay more than book value for a product..? A bank will only loan a % of book value. I'm amazed at the prices I see advertised for Airstreams, the advertised prices seem to be $15-20,000 more than the NADA value...why..? NADA prices there Airstream trailers with A/C, Microwave, awning, stereo. There really isn't much left to add if any.

As I write this there is a 2004 28' Safari advertised here for $34,500. The NADA value is $18,500. for average RETAIL...that is a HUGE difference. I don't understand.
stufarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufarmer View Post
When NADA prices a travel trailer at $40,000 for example, why would anyone expect to pay more than book value for a product..? A bank will only loan a % of book value. I'm amazed at the prices I see advertised for Airstreams, the advertised prices seem to be $15-20,000 more than the NADA value...why..? NADA prices there Airstream trailers with A/C, Microwave, awning, stereo. There really isn't much left to add if any.

As I write this there is a 2004 28' Safari advertised here for $34,500. The NADA value is $18,500. for average RETAIL...that is a HUGE difference. I don't understand.
if you find an 04 28' safari for 18,500 let me know
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
If you own it, it's yours to price.

NADA compiles data, probably flawed, and then comes up with the average transaction price. Average means some sell for more, some for less. Lots of variables.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Seller motivation for selling is important. If you hear..."well if I don't get my price I will just keep it"...time to look elsewhere. Many of those for sale remain unsold even when properly exposed to potential buyers...

FMV = the price agreed to by a "motivated" seller and a "willing/motivated" buyer.

Tooooo many sellers "just testing the waters".

Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I agree with Stufarmer. Banks will only loan a percentage of book value. Is it flawed? Flawed or not that is what banks use as a guide.
There was a guy here that was selling his 20 ft asking 30K and the next day he took it to a dealer and put it on consignment for 38K.
We would have bought it but now it is out of our price range. Oh well we will keep looking. I haven't giving up hope.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote