Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Catawba , North Carolina
Price paid vs asking price

I am new to the forum and Class B's, but not new to RV'ing. We have been shopping for a class B for about 6 months. We are looking to buy used. Either a 15 or 16 AI GT. We really like what we have seen with the Airstreams.

It may be taboo on the forums, but I would like to know how much people are paying vs. the asking price. I know there are a lot of variables that go into it with mileage, options, private/dealer, but we are finding a huge range of listing prices for the same exact model. Unless it has the air suspension option, everything else is mostly standard, but can vary widely on price.

Thanks for the advice.
mtbexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
I don't know on used GT's but we paid right at 80% of list on our 4x4 '17 we ordered last fall.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My husband pressed "Buy It Now" on eBay. So, ours was 100% of the asking price. But ours was the rarest of the T1N Interstate floor plans. I only see a couple of them come on the market per year in the national listings - we had to pay to get it.

If you want a more common younger model, I bet there's room for negotiation, especially if you wait until the fall when it becomes more of a buyer's market.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
If you are buying used from a dealer, I would *think*, but not expect, to pay less than the list price. I would not expect to pay 20% less for used at a dealers. That is the normal discount, though, for buying new. I would *think* 10% discount from list as a really good deal from a dealer on a used model.

Buying used from an individual...well...it depends on the condition of the trailer and the seller. Some sellers won't budge...others would love to negotiate (especially if they are simply looking to get out of owning a trailer altogether). Find out why the seller wants to sell.

Buying used from an individual, we paid right at 11% off the list price and felt we were given a VERY fair deal considering the very good condition of the trailer. However, we would have probably bought it even if the seller had not come down on his price.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Not a forum whore...

Friday Harbor , Washington
Whether buying a boat or RV, I've always used the online NADA guide. You can select which at the top of the following page:

http://www.nadaguides.com/
PDXPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
We paid about 16% off list for a new factory ordered 2017 GT. But be very careful: our dealer inflated (i.e. lied about) the list price so his first discounted offer would look better. Motto: don't trust; verify.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I (Like IB) paid a premium since it was a very low miles/excellent condition of the floor plan I wanted.
That said I didn't pay the full asking price, but I also didn't get it down any significant amount. (About 7%)

I've found the NADA guides quite a bit off for any sort of 'specialty' vehicle. At least in this area. (For private party sales)
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
I too found NADA not even close to reliable and when financing our Airstream, provided my own comps for the credit union because they were more than just a little confused by NADA and the discrepancy on prices of used Airstreams. On our model and with the comparable Airstreams I was able to find, NADA was off by about 60%.

Some have said there is a depreciation scale NADA uses on automobiles that it applies to trailers and that causes skewed results. I'm not sure what it is, but it wasn't a reliable guide for our situation at all.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Price paid vs asking price

If you are buying used there is no such thing as list price as far as I'm concerned. It's more like buying a used home on real estate market. What are the comparable and what will the seller take?
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Interstate not a good choice for boondocking

Not sure what your travel/camping plans are by season and location, but at least in our experience talking with Interstate owners, they are not well suited to boondocking because the fridge requires substantial electric power for cooling, either from the batteries or shore power/generator.
Fridges in the trailers run on either propane or shore power (12v power for control electronics only), so without hookups you're OK for many days with full propane tanks, provided it's not so cold you need the furnace fan a lot.
If you can get a gas/electric fridge as an option, then this issue would not apply.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Used AIs are rare enough that you have to either pay pretty much what is asked or be willing to travel. I was able to make a little progress on the price, but the nearest advertised unit I would be interested in was quite a distance away and not that much price differential.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I've found the NADA guides quite a bit off for any sort of 'specialty' vehicle. At least in this area. (For private party sales)
NADA is a dealer guide, and the listed prices are based on prices actually paid at NADA member dealers. Not all dealers, especially RV dealers, are NADA members. And as dealer guides the NADA books will not even consider private sales in determining the average, high, and low prices paid.

As such, NADA guides are just one step above useless for RV sales in determining the prices actually paid in the used RV market.

Here's a rule of thumb you could try… The price I paid for a brand-new Interstate was almost exactly double the price of a brand-new Mercedes Sprinter High-roof long-wheelbase cargo van one model year older (2012 Interstate, 2011 Sprinter). So you might look up Sprinter cargo vans in the NADA guides, and double the listed price.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Welcome back

What a surprise, Protagonist. A lot of folks missed your posts.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Welcome back Protagonist!!! [emoji3]
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #15

Rochester Hills , Michigan
30% less than the Manufactured Listing Price

We just purchased a 2018 Interstate Grand Tour. Spoke with 4 dealers to get the best price. At about 30% less than the listing price, we believe we got a good price.
fourjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
He lives!!!
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
While I like the layout of the GT (compared to our EXT lounge), I have seen so many posts critical of its electrical system and dual refrigerators that I would stay away from one if I were buying now. Airstream seems to have hit a new low (which many of us did not think possible) when designing the electrical system of the GT. I hear the 2018 GT has 300W of solar - to put a band-aid on the problems.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
By shopping online in January when sales are very slow, we contacted multiple dealers and received varying quotes. Most of the time , a sales person will want to speak to you in person. After several weeks of negotiating, we got 21% off of the sticker price on a cash sale. Two dealers met that price ,so we went to the closest dealer.. Dealers will try to tell you that it is worth more to buy from them because their service department is over the moon fabulous. They are all mostly average at best, and I wouldn't pay 15 cents for that promise. I am a big believer in that shopping off -season with northern dealers offers an opportunity for serious savings. Our first great offer was from a dealer in Indiana, close to the AS factory-no surprise since their transportation costs would have been the lowest.. Once you have a great offer, shop it around and see who will meet it.
Of course, before you start this process , know exactly what you want, so you can compare apples to apples.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
... Dealers will try to tell you that it is worth more to buy from them because their service department is over the moon fabulous. They are all mostly average at best, and I wouldn't pay 15 cents for that promise....
I fully agree. If I did it over again I would shop further from home for the best price deal. Our experience as "priority" customers of the local selling dealer has been extremely frustrating.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
18-20% off list. Drove from Denver to Portland for the 2012 and to Boise for the 2015. Northwest Adventures had the very best pricing. Did everything via email.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote