Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign25 View Post
"The National Safety Council finds as many as two-thirds of drivers may be pulling into shopping centers distracted. One in five accidents happen in parking lots…
… the National Safety Council found on average at least 60,000 are injured and 500 or more die in the 50,000 plus crashes in parking lots and garages every year.
…A recent survey found 66 percent felt comfortable making calls while driving in a parking lot, and more than half would text. Roughly half of drivers were OK with sending emails, using social media, taking pictures or watching videos. Forty-two percent said they would video chat."
__________________________________________________ ___

People can only pay attention to one thing at a time. Hang up and drive - that's why I added this to my truck - an attention getter for distracted drivers.
Blaming it all on phones is popular but lots of people drive like crap without a phone. Just like using your blinker constantly doesn't make you a good driver.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I spent twenty years driving a school bus for a large district in Western Oregon. Fed law mandates that school bus drivers receive continuous training over the year. Some of it is pretty boring. (If I ever have another blood borne pathogen class it will be too soon) Some of if it was pretty good. (Th Smith System, if you haven't heard of it, look it up on the web) I do not claim that this makes me any kind of expert on anything.

The OP makes a bunch of assumptions about both fast and slow driving that may or may not be true, depending...

I will not follow his advice, as I know the physics are against him, and I know that as I age, (im 66 now) I need the extra fraction of a second that traveling at 55-60 gives me over traveling at 80. I hope he stays safe, but I think he is nuts.

Mike
Old 01-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
"Stats" can lead to Conclusions even on a "Full Moon"

Statistics show that there are more hospital visits on a "Full Moon." Thus we all conclude that there are more accidents on a "Full Moon." Therefore, if there are more accidents, than there must be more vehicle accidents on a "Full Moon." Finally, if there are more vehicle accidents, than we all must conclude that there are more tow vehicle accidents on a Full Moon."

PS - Please remember that this tread started at 12:09AM today, which could have been yesterday based on your time zone, and yesterday was "Friday the 13th," which statistics show there are also a rise in accidents attributed to this day.

On a true note, distractions are a major cause of accidents, whether at home, at work, at play, and especially in a vehicle.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I think that the OP may be misinterpreting the data/graph. The study doesn't deal with speed being a causation factor in a collision, but rather the author demonstrates that your risk of dying in a frontal impact collision is high at speeds even below 50 km/h.

In another study by the same author, he published this graph which shows that the higher the speed the greater the risk for fatality in a collision.
Yes, the document posted by OP is simply pointing out that frontal crashes can be fatal at low speeds. The conclusions drawn (that one is more alert, etc) are completely baseless and not remotely related to the data. The data do not address the concept of driving faster or driving slower as a function of safety.

Looking at actual data related to the question - which is whether traveling at a higher speed makes one more likely to get into a fatal accident, we have this study which shows the expected result. The likelihood of a fatality increases as speed increases, whether looking at front impact, side impact, or pedestrian impact.

As I like to think in externalities, what does speeding do to those not making the decision? NHTSA estimates that crashes where speed is an issue costs society more than $40 billion annually. Based on the speed limit, that data suggests that society pays approximately $76,000 for every minute gained by speeding. I hope OP is making the best of that saved time.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/810998
Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Thank you all for engaging, even if we dont' agree. Any thread where every one confirms next to the last, that the first one is right, appears redundant, the joy that comes from numbers (sheep mentality?), adds nothing new. The ability to open one's mind to new and dissimilar thought is, in my opinion, a positive trait, ability to change long established beliefs, taking risks (if nothing else in own's mind), a young mind, etc.

Controversy, debate, conflict of ideas is a good think 'per se' regardless of the outcome. So thank you.

The range of speed towing with vehicles (like my F350 topping off at 100) is lower than the bottom 50 speed. I mentioned crossing Texas plains at 80. That is a much smaller range of speed as compared to 0 to 50. So proportionally, over 50 is 30% smaller range than under 50. Crazies going 100 probably exist, but their number is insignificant to affect the stats.

For me, going fast tops for at ideal conditions: empty flat roads in perfect weather and visibility, not an often occurrence. I normally drive 9 mph above legal speed (as cops appear to be forgiving up to that point in most states I drove through) and then again: while maintaining distance and under ideal road conditions. I had crawled along at 15 mph and lower when visibility, traction, traffic or any other reason that raises the hairs on the back of my head. I don't question instinct to go safer, no matter any other scenario. That is a direct consequence of staying alert and focus, all of which comes natural when going fast. There is no suggestion to go faster than conditions permit. The opposit is also true.

Fast: we pay attention to what matters (driving). Slow (as in parking lots) allow for fastening seat belts, plugging phones, catching up on SMS: distraction. Dont' underestimate the value of being present, alert, focus, uneasy enough to avoid over confidence.

Slow moving is also a hazard for normal (fast moving) traffic, a little better than just another obstacle on the road, in the middle of a lane. Don't count just accidents that happen to them, but also the ones they cause third parties. They force 18 wheelers to move to the left lane: a process that is slow, blocks traffic, creates opportunities for accidents.

Go as fast as you feel comfortable (not complacent), the road allows it and the hairs in the back suggest you.

Common sense is uncommon. Obvious truths (often) are oxymorons. Falling back on oldwives advice is anthitesis to best practices by open minds.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Keep us posted as to where and when you travel. Because I don't want to be anywhere close.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Go slow... Not!

I ride my bike a little on the fast side. I've always just thought I had more control (of the situation) if I was moving a bit faster than traffic.
I pull my trailer a little on the slow side. I want control if things turn south (tire blow out etc) in a hurry. Plus I hate spending a bunch of extra money just to arrive an hour or two earlier. I move along at 60-65 and am comfortable at that speed. I agree going too slow is almost a hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 01-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have always felt that the safest way to go is to be close to keeping pace with the average traffic speed and on interstates, I find that generally mid to high sixties will do that for me.

As well, I try to keep a really good distance between us and the next vehcile ahead although that isn't always easy as people just seem to like filling the gap causing me to slow down to re-establish it.

If there are three lanes I try stick to the centre lane unless I am holding up 18 wheelers who may not be allowed to use the fast lane depending on the State, so then I move into the slow lane to let them past.

Unless we are on a road with very few entrance ramps, I tend to avoid the slow lane as I seem to encounter too many folk who don't know (or don't care?) about the proper and
courteous way to merge onto the highway!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Driving across Texas (or KS, or ND, or NB, or MT, or NV, or,...) can be as boring at 80 as it is at 55.

Going fast will not make you pay more attention, it will just take you farther down the road before you can react in emergency.

My trailer tires are rated for 65 MPH. I can’t afford a blowout.

Most fatal accidents happen below 50 MPH because most of us hit the brakes before impact.

Speed limits on the interstate are posted both minimum and maximum. (Betcha know know what the minimum is, ‘cause you never paid attention.) Just stay within the numbers.

Fatigue impairs reaction time. Slower speeds are more relaxing and less fatiguing.

Weather, road conditions, traffic, time of day, etc all affect maximum safe speed. “Towing” is part of the list of conditions that affect safe speed.

Speed and the resulting wind dynamics is a primary factor that causes sway.

Drive wise.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Interesting thread, one I won't wade in too deep in terms of opinion and critique. I would second a previous post on the importance of periodic driver education or training, like the Smiths Driving System (mentioned above) we use at work to train all drivers. I like it and believe it helps our fleet of drivers avoid serious accidents (animal strikes being the most common problem for us, along with striking stationary objects while backing or parking in lots and convenience stores.)

In any event, here's a real classic video on Smith's, something that might be older than your vintage AS. It pretty well summarizes the system as taught today.

I realize that most drivers rate themselves as well above average, which is fascinating in and of itself.

Safe travels and regards,

Ron
Old 01-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
OP - your logic is flawed. Using speed to compensate for a lack of attentive driving skills is not logical. Lower speed = more reaction time, less momentum to control, and less potential energy in the event of an impact. More velocity is not safer.

Change your discussion to how to develop and maintain attentive skills and how to develop a schedule that will eliminate the possibility of driving tired or in bad weather to keep the schedule.

Please, everyone drive attentive and travel safe. Pat
Old 01-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Using the OP's logic, the statistic that observes that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home indicates that we should all hit the road and get as far away as possible.

For me, anyplace south would be fine.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 01-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #33
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
interesting !
I do understand the drive fast thing , when on my motorcycle not truck towing the AS.
No comparison between the MC and truck / trailer at speed !
Old 01-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Preaching driving over the speed limit is advocating breaking the law. Period, think about it.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #35
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Amazing how people think differently.

I'll wave as you blow by me. Let me know when the funeral is.... I'll try to attend or at least send flowers.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Going faster hurts more if something happens.
Dave
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Meeting on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Keep us posted as to where and when you travel. Because I don't want to be anywhere close.
You don't like to see the beautiful butt of a shiny AS, even if for an instance?
Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you're saying you are showing your asp?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
If I send you my email will you let me know when and where you traveling so that I can be sure to avoid those roads? You're reasoning sounds like an accident waiting
to happen
Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #40
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post

[ snip ] and nobody is overconfident at 80 mph.

[ snip ]
This is an absurd generalization.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
Closed Thread