Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Exclamation Slow down when towing - here is why

This bears repeating, so I am posting a new thread. Trailer tires are speed rated at a maximum of 65 m.p.h. Beyond that speed, road surface heat combines with the weight of the trailer and tire disintegration begins.....

As I have posted elsewhere, over 100,000 miles logged towing & never a blowout

I personally never exceed 55 m.ph. while towing. Across the hottest and coldest highways in the country.

You may just want to slow down on the next trip. You will save on your fuel costs, your tire wear, and be much better prepared if you do have a blowout.

Please take a moment to read what the tire experts say below; and I suggest you read the Discount Tire trailer tire tips :

@ http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos

Long-term fatigue can also weaken a trailer tire. There are a number of factors that accelerate fatigue, but heat buildup from towing at high speeds is one of the main culprits, according to Fry.

"If you trailer nonstop from Phoenix, Arizona, to Las Vegas, in 100-degree temperatures at 65 mph, you use up much of the resources of that tire, and you don't realize it," said Fry.

Fry is not talking about wearing out the tread. It is the tire's construction that is breaking down. As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken. Over the course of several trips, this load-carrying capacity gradually decreases, according to Fry. Incidentally, all ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

One key to extending tire life on a tandem- or tri-axle trailer is to ensure that the trailer is riding level, thus distributing the load equally among all the tires. If the trailer tongue sits too high, the rear tires may bear the brunt of the load: with the trailer tongue too low, the front tires may be unduly stressed.
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Interesting article. I too have never experienced a blowout - and my towing years go back to 1964 with nary a year without some kind of trailer! The recommendations in this article are certainly on the conservative side. So much so that it looks like protection while in storage would be a waste of time - i.e. the tire is going to be wasted long before UV rays would do much damage. Most of my early days were in Florida - and I never did cover any of my trailer tires. I can't say whether or not I exceeded the 5-year life - but I probably exceeded the mileage several times. I realize trailers like an Airstream place more extreme demands on tires and, in accordance therewith, I just replaced my tires in September 2005 (---5 years.) I'll bow to the experts but, once again, the 3-year/12,000 mile life expectancy sure seems conservative. I wonder if all tire companies endorse those recommendations?

Good article Jim - and I certainly don't have any issue with keeping the speed below 65!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This was interesting. While I did know the speed issue and have preached that topic myself several times on the forum, the point made

"In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone."

is quite interesting. I wonder how you equate strength with ability of the tire to carry its rated load? If we go by that guideline we would all be throwing tires away after two towing seasons.

Maybe I need to send a little note to that vendor and ask for some clarification of that statement.....ok I just sent them a note. Let's see what kind of response I get.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lightbulb Just to clarify....

Here is the entire section of the Discount Tire Co. tech bulletin from which the question of "time" comes from:

Time
Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after 3 to 4 years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Taken in its' entirety(no pun intended), I think it makes sense

None of us wants to replace a tire prematurely but what is important to note is why a seemingly "good" trailer tire can fail for no apparent reason

What kills trailer tires is heat & speed; I am always the slowest towing on the road, everyone reading this has probably passed me with my flashers on & my "vehicle in tow" sign in large relective letters pasted on the back of the trailer I am towing at 55 m.p.h.
You probably have commented

What is most important to note from this thread?

As speed limits have increased, tow speeds should remain the same.
Too often, we barrel down the road in a hurry to get to our "relaxation destination"
Old 03-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think a lot of people tow closer to the speed limit - 60 or 65 or even 70, and have no problems over many miles. My opinion is that travelling significantly below the speed of the other cars on the road can be just as dangerous, particularly being passed by semis who are speeding at well above the posted truck speeds (I think we've all had those come up on our rear bumpers, and unable or unwilling to slow down, they swerve around us), or being tailgated by impatient motorists who will then do insane things like passing on the median, passing too close to oncoming traffic, or passing going into curves. Being behind an RV seems to bring out the worst in people!

With all the idiots on the road, I feel safer going 65 and being closer to the speed of the other vehicles.

For every issue with towing there are risks involved. There are those who will say 'you have to do everything to make it as safe as possible'. But that is always within reason. To be as safe as possible you wouldn't tow at all, you'd stay home on the couch.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jarzabek
As speed limits have increased, tow speeds should remain the same.
Too often, we barrel down the road in a hurry to get to our "relaxation destination"
Speed limit is my word of the day!! In Germany you can go as fast as you can on most highways, when you are in a car. BUT as soon as you have a trailer behind you are allowed to go only a max. of 49 mph or a max. of 62 mph, depending on your trailer and your TV. 62 mph is restricted to the specific Trailer-TV Combo, so other trailer or other TV then 49 mph.
All bigger Trucks (16500 lbs and up) are restricted to go only 49 mph.

And guess what - we are doing fine with it.

If you want to speed, leave your trailer at home and go a 150 mph if you want, but as soon as you have a trailer behind - slow down! Its not only safer for you, it also is for the others on the road!!

Just my 02.Cents

If I am too slow for you and you comment while passing, be shure not to meet me at the next reststop. I would kick your a..
If can provide an Air-Decal or any other proof of being an Airstreamer you´ll get a big hugh and a beer!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Very interesting!!!
This answers questions and poses some new ones for me. I haul small trailers, and have done so for years. Ranch in North Texas to the Home and Groves in South Texas....Hay, horses and household goods...you name it. 80 MPH across the King Ranch all the time and believe me those are some hot roads around September. Never had a flat or a blow out.

Now you guys that drive at 55 on those same two lane roads to save your tires are not exactly popular folks...Winter Texans..Snow Birds...etc and have become a source of "discussion" thru the years. The months of Oct-Nov and April are notorious for the slow drivers across the Southern part of the State. No one really thought it was a safety issue or a tire problem...just inconsideration, me included.

Ahhhh, but now I have a different perspective and aged into the wisdom of the situation.....and I got an A/S to tow also. After Jims' info on tire strength problems, with age, I am changing all of my older ranch trailer tires, putting new tires on the A/S. Then I am going to drive to the Valley and back at a respectful speed...chancing the sure to come flipped finger, beer can thru the windshield or, south of San Antonio, bullet in the tailgate.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
I have to say, I am never the fastest car on the road, nor the slowest. But when I see a slow car on the road I usually figure there's some reason - perhaps they're having trouble and limping to the next rest stop, or maybe they are just driving as fast as they feel comfortable going. I wouldn't want someone who doesn't feel confident driving 60 to speed up to it just to keep up with traffic. People should drive at the speed they are comfortable with, and that's different for everyone, and for different reasons.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Craftsman

Can you improve trailer speeds and tire life by using a different tire?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I have to say, I am never the fastest car on the road, nor the slowest. But when I see a slow car on the road I usually figure there's some reason - perhaps they're having trouble and limping to the next rest stop, or maybe they are just driving as fast as they feel comfortable going. I wouldn't want someone who doesn't feel confident driving 60 to speed up to it just to keep up with traffic. People should drive at the speed they are comfortable with, and that's different for everyone, and for different reasons.
As long as they stay to the right! Nothing bothers me more than someone limping along in the fast lane, or those people that prefer to drive to the left ALL the time. It's dangerous!
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lightbulb No increase in speed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I just picked up a 1968 Barth travel trailer last week in Florida & delivered it to South Carolina. The owner had installed steel belted passenger tires (22570R15) one year earlier. The first thing I did was to install new trailer tires at Tire Kingdom in Florida & check the wheel bearings along with the running gear...

All trailer tires that I know of, (and I am referring to ST rated tires), have a maximum speed rating of 65 m.p.h.

I personally use an "E" rated tire on single axle travel trailers weighing more than 3500 pounds & all tandem axle travel trailers. I believe this selection gives the longest life & least blow out likelihood.

I install a "D" load range tire on single axle trailers if the dry weight is less than 3500 pounds.

I prefer bias ply, because my personal belief is that there is less sidewall flexing

Since I usually tow travel trailers of 25 years or older, I try and purchase 7.00 x 15 size (which are not carried everywhere)

So I carry at least two at all times with me. Walmart Super Centers with a Tire & Lube Express are a great place to get a tire mounted on the weekend

Again, the issue I raise is speed in this thread & how it affects tire life
Old 03-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
As long as they stay to the right! Nothing bothers me more than someone limping along in the fast lane, or those people that prefer to drive to the left ALL the time. It's dangerous!
Don't come to Minnesota!

Here, everyone drives in the left lane. I think it's to make room for merging traffic. The only way to pass is to use the exit ramps.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Importantly- One thing left out..... Tires on trailers OVER 5 years old, no matter how much or little use, SHOULD be replaced. They are simply TOO old to be on the road.
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Don't come to Minnesota!

Here, everyone drives in the left lane. I think it's to make room for merging traffic. The only way to pass is to use the exit ramps.
Hmmmm...I thought it was because the mosquitoes use the right hand lane! (From one who spent many years of his summer vacation as a kid in the land of sky blue waters....)

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
Importantly- One thing left out..... Tires on trailers OVER 5 years old, no matter how much or little use, SHOULD be replaced. They are simply TOO old to be on the road.
I agree 100%. As a matter of fact, 4 years is max life in my book. I've never had a tire fail in 25 years of towing and have lived with that change frequency. You buy fresh properly rated tires, keep them inflated properly, balance them, protect them from UV exposure, drive within their rated speed ratings and replace them after 4 years of use (assuming you don't replace them earlier due to tread wear), you should stay rolling without the fear of tire loss.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
I agree, we're on our fourth season with the trailer, and we're replacing the tires before our next big trip. They still look ok, but I'm not comfortable with towing a long distance on old rubber. That's cheap insurance every four or five years if you ask me.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Don't come to Minnesota!

i thought everyone in minnesota drove in the left lane so it would be easier to wave at the folks going the other way!

you betcha!

john
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quoting the linked article:

"The mileage expectation of a trailer tire would be 5,000 to 12,000 miles." How was this figure arrived at?

We'll be hitching up April 1 to begin our 3rd year on the road. From the beginning, I have kept detailed fuel & mileage records ... including towing and non-towing miles.

So far the tires have 9,016 miles on them ... plus the original 2,400 delivery miles from Jackson Center to Los Banos, CA. That's a total of 11,416 miles.

The tires were rotated after 1 year during the "wheel bearing grease recall" fiasco. The trailer is weighed every 6 months ... everything OK ... and I carry an air compressor to insure proper inflation. Also I keep my speed at 65 or under on the highways ... and keep 'em covered while wintering in AZ for 5 months.

Now after reading that quote ... I'm wondering if I should replace them instead of waiting one more year. I was hoping to get 3 years out of them.

I'll be getting the bearings packed and brakes checked at Toscanos in May ... should I get new tires then?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
If you fell you must, you can go with an LT tire, of the same size and load range you are replacing. If you do this, LT tires are speed rated for 75, and you should replace the tires even more frequently than you already would. If you would normally replace your tires after 5 years, do it after 3.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Quoting the linked article:

"
Now after reading that quote ... I'm wondering if I should replace them instead of waiting one more year. I was hoping to get 3 years out of them.

I'll be getting the bearings packed and brakes checked at Toscanos in May ... should I get new tires then?
Porky, your trailer is rolling a lot and that keeps those tires in better shape than mine that have sat all winter. Rolling keeps the compounds moving that protect against dry rot and UV deterioriation. While you still might consider the change out after year 4, if you've been giving the trailer active use during these 3 years and as long as you have good tread, those tires will give you good service for another year.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15